You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2017

So it's now confired 're liverliveris,  colours and logos:
Arriva brand set for a refresh
After 20 years, Arriva, one of Europe's largest transport companies, is set to embark on a refresh of its brand. A more modern identity, including a refreshed logo and brighter colours, will be applied across the group in a phased introduction. A formal launch takes place tomorrow (Thursday)
The cost effective and evolutionary approach will see the new colours and livery rolled out from Q1 2017 as and when vehicles and other materials are due to be updated. The refreshed logo is expected to be introduced from 2018.
Gill Singh, Arriva Bus, Marketing and NPD Director says: “The Arriva brand is now 20 years old and works well across a range of transport markets.
“However, our logo has changed little since 1997 so we are introducing, on a low cost and evolutionary basis, a refresh to our identity that retains the essence of Arriva and supports our growth plans.”
RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2017
(27 Feb 2017, 2:25 pm)Mark P wrote It's at Whitby (on paper at least) although I haven't physically seen it myself.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Was back over the pits at Redcar yesterday.

(01 Mar 2017, 8:14 pm)9920up wrote So it's now confired 're liverliveris,  colours and logos:
Arriva brand set for a refresh
After 20 years, Arriva, one of Europe's largest transport companies, is set to embark on a refresh of its brand. A more modern identity, including a refreshed logo and brighter colours, will be applied across the group in a phased introduction. A formal launch takes place tomorrow (Thursday)
The cost effective and evolutionary approach will see the new colours and livery rolled out from Q1 2017 as and when vehicles and other materials are due to be updated. The refreshed logo is expected to be introduced from 2018.
Gill Singh, Arriva Bus, Marketing and NPD Director says: “The Arriva brand is now 20 years old and works well across a range of transport markets.
“However, our logo has changed little since 1997 so we are introducing, on a low cost and evolutionary basis, a refresh to our identity that retains the essence of Arriva and supports our growth plans.”

So on past performance we can expect the old livery to disappear by about 2034?
1488 has returned repainted. completing the Stockton Frequenta repaints. Like 1460 and 1492 it has yet to receive branding.
(02 Mar 2017, 12:43 pm)Cock Robin wrote So on past performance we can expect the old livery to disappear by about 2034?

What I'm told is 2019/20. 

I can't see how the Interurban livery rollout at ANE (which was terminated in early-2014), compares to this?
RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2017
Well some Prestiges went their full life without a repaint, and they reckon the repaint process isnt being speeded up.
(03 Mar 2017, 4:40 pm)Cock Robin wrote Well some Prestiges went their full life without a repaint, and they reckon the repaint process isnt being speeded up.

Jesmond only had one repaint booth and one team to manage the rollout of Interurban to the whole fleet, they could only prepare, paint and finish one bus at a time, plus Interurban has the white and yellow tape to apply to vehicles too. Interurban consisted of three colours. 

The rollout of the new livery in the North East is being managed by Thornton's (for the one colour teal livery) and Radecal (for the vinyl application). Both companies together have more resources than what Arriva Jesmond did, and therefore have a quicker turn around rate than it was at Jesmond.
(02 Mar 2017, 12:43 pm)Cock Robin wrote Was back over the pits at Redcar yesterday.

Stockton lost 2826 to Redcar when 1457 was branded as a Frequenta spare. About 6 weeks ago

It appeared on X93s two weeks ago. It was on the 62 today.
(06 Mar 2017, 8:55 pm)Malarkey wrote 2601 (YJ61 JFF) has returned to service following repaint into Arriva's Corporate Livery - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...ed-public/

Suppose they've already paid for the repaint out of Nexus livery for the Solos a few month back... this should be the final repaint into Interurban. All repaints at Thornton's from now on are the MAX refurbs and the teal livery. 

The new liveries, from a document dated 2nd February... The liveries have been modified since so these probably won't be the final names. 

arriva Corporate - teal with cream and lighter teal swoop towards the front.  
arriva Go Green - teal with green and white swoop towards the front with lettering for Green Technology.
arrivaFrequent - teal with yellow and white swoop towards the front.
arrivaExpress - teal with blue and white swoop towards the front. 
arrivaPremium - teal with dark blue front, silver and white swoop towards the front.

Frequent replaces Frequenta, Express replaces MAX, Premium replaces Sapphire.
(08 Mar 2017, 11:31 am)omnicity4659 wrote Suppose they've already paid for the repaint out of Nexus livery for the Solos a few month back... this should be the final repaint into Interurban. All repaints at Thornton's from now on are the MAX refurbs and the teal livery. 

The new liveries, from a document dated 2nd February... The liveries have been modified since so these probably won't be the final names. 

arriva Go Green - teal with green and white swoop towards the front with lettering for Green Technology.
arrivaPremium - teal with dark blue front, silver and white swoop towards the front.

Load of garbage!
(08 Mar 2017, 11:31 am)omnicity4659 wrote Suppose they've already paid for the repaint out of Nexus livery for the Solos a few month back... this should be the final repaint into Interurban. All repaints at Thornton's from now on are the MAX refurbs and the teal livery. 

The biggest joke there is the fact that an awful lot of max roues aren't express at all.
(09 Mar 2017, 11:20 am)omnicity4659 wrote Is that directed at me, or directed to Arriva about their choice of liveries...?

Arriva.

(08 Mar 2017, 9:30 pm)BusLoverMum wrote The biggest joke there is the fact that an awful lot of max roues aren't express at all.

Indeed! And why build up the brand just to drop it! Same with Sapphire and Frequenta.
(09 Mar 2017, 2:29 pm)Cock Robin wrote Arriva.

Indeed! And why build up the brand just to drop it! Same with Sapphire and Frequenta.

They're clearly aiming for more consistency between brands as well as a less old fashioned and drab appearance.
Not sure if this has been mentioned but ive just seen a copy of a letter from arriva to the Gosforth Residents assocaition regarding pollution by buses on the high street.  I havn't seen the letter TO arriva but I think its complaining about the Double Deckers on the "Great North Road Route" pumping out carbon.

Arrivas response is that the "x21/x22 are to get 12 new  Sapphire low carbon emmision buses and move the Mid life sapphire quality buses on 43,44,45 to replace the double Decker buses you mention". " Once intorduced 50 of arriva 66 buses per hour during the standard day time service pattern wiill be either sapphire or Max quality Buses.

Go new for me anyway!
(10 Mar 2017, 11:30 am)Rob44 wrote Not sure if this has been mentioned but ive just seen a copy of a letter from arriva to the Gosforth Residents assocaition regarding pollution by buses on the high street.  I havn't seen the letter TO arriva but I think its complaining about the Double Deckers on the "Great North Road Route" pumping out carbon.

Arrivas response is that the "x21/x22 are to get 12 new  Sapphire low carbon emmision buses and move the Mid life sapphire quality buses on 43,44,45 to replace the double Decker buses you mention". " Once intorduced 50 of arriva 66 buses per hour during the standard day time service pattern wiill be either sapphire or Max quality Buses.

Go new for me anyway!

I wonder how many of those residents run great big 4 by 4s or hop in the car to go to the shop 1/4 mile away or drive their children to and from the school round the corner every day.
(10 Mar 2017, 2:01 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I wonder how many of those residents run great big 4 by 4s or hop in the car to go to the shop 1/4 mile away or drive their children to and from the school round the corner every day.

Well said.
I'm unsure what the Gosforth residents expect? Arriva forking out for a new fleet of vehicles every 5 years? 

They seem to be complaining about the age of the buses, and that 'they can't operate in other parts of the country'. Just a few cities that have buses operating of a similar age to the DAF/ALX400's that they are complaining about: Glasgow, Aberdeen, Manchester, York, Hull, Liverpool. 

They also seem to be taking issue at the presence of express buses, which is quite comical, it's not like they've just appeared all of a sudden.
(10 Mar 2017, 4:11 pm)mb134 wrote I'm unsure what the Gosforth residents expect? Arriva forking out for a new fleet of vehicles every 5 years? 

They seem to be complaining about the age of the buses, and that 'they can't operate in other parts of the country'. Just a few cities that have buses operating of a similar age to the DAF/ALX400's that they are complaining about: Glasgow, Aberdeen, Manchester, York, Hull, Liverpool. 

They also seem to be taking issue at the presence of express buses, which is quite comical, it's not like they've just appeared all of a sudden.

I don't think they are complaining about the presence of express services along there local corridor at all, I would say they are complaining about a service which is being operated by 17/18 Year Old Vehicles which carry a Euro 2 Vehicle Emission rating, while other services have seen significant investment whether that be with new vehicles like on the X21/X22 or have had an Interior Refurb with other upgrades such as Wifi retrofitted etc to improve a passengers experience of using it's services, why should those passengers using the 43/44/45 not be offered the same level of service as those on others on other routes along the same corridor.
(10 Mar 2017, 4:35 pm)omnicity4659 wrote All the green StreetLites from Durham and Ashington are moving to Jesmond... Wink

Is that for the 52/53/54?
(10 Mar 2017, 4:48 pm)Malarkey wrote I don't think they are complaining about the presence of express services along there local corridor at all, I would say they are complaining about a service which is being operated by 17/18 Year Old Vehicles which carry a Euro 2 Vehicle Emission rating, while other services have seen significant investment whether that be with new vehicles like on the X21/X22 or have had an Interior Refurb with other upgrades such as Wifi retrofitted etc to improve a passengers experience of using it's services, why should those passengers using the 43/44/45 not be offered the same level of service as those on others on other routes along the same corridor.

Except they are complaining about the presence of express services...

https://www.facebook.com/gosforthtraffic...=3&theater

See Stewart Falconer, John Dockerty and Susan Pike's comments.
(10 Mar 2017, 5:08 pm)mb134 wrote Except they are complaining about the presence of express services...

https://www.facebook.com/gosforthtraffic...=3&theater

See Stewart Falconer, John Dockerty and Susan Pike's comments.

From looking at that they in fact complaining about both, and have clearly done quite a bit of research into the vehicle operating the service etc.
(10 Mar 2017, 5:14 pm)omnicity4659 wrote Aye.

Cheers Smile

Wonder if the Pulsars from Jesmond will be refurbished into Sapphire and used on the 23 so it gives the 22/23/24 a consistent spec
Wonder if when these 12 new buses arrive at Ashington if 12 will also leave as that means at least 2 14 reg vehicles leaving. Or maybe some will stay at Ashington as spares with pulsars refurbished for 43/44/45 as well as 57 reg E400's
My Flickr Account - Photos from the North East and Beyond.
(10 Mar 2017, 5:34 pm)Pulsar wrote Wonder if when these 12 new buses arrive at Ashington if 12 will also leave as that means at least 2 14 reg vehicles leaving. Or maybe some will stay at Ashington as spares with pulsars refurbished for 43/44/45 as well as 57 reg E400's

I imagine it would see 12 leaving, probably 7501-9, 7518 and then 2 of 7522-8. I don't imagine they'll need more spares with new vehicles.
(10 Mar 2017, 2:01 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I wonder how many of those residents run great big 4 by 4s or hop in the car to go to the shop 1/4 mile away or drive their children to and from the school round the corner every day.

If they live in Gosforth they will, good news though but I do quite like ALX400s

Arriva Premium - Arriva Wales 4409 (J900 ABW) - Note the post also mentions that Arriva Wales have 12 (Enviro 400 City's) on order, wonder if we'll be seeing some up here on the X21/X22 then as rumoured.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/arrivanort...83/in/feed