Menu

Pages (41)    119 20 2141   
Andreos1   15 Nov 2013, 6:11 pm
(15 Nov 2013, 6:01 pm)Liam wrote Aren't Go North East usually the only company who provide commercially ran services on Boxing day? Last year at least, all of Stagecoach's services on Boxing day were funded by Nexus, admittedly a few of Go North East's were too. It seems a bit harsh suggesting that Go North East need to provide more services, when in reality neither Arriva or Stagecoach actually run services on a commercial basis on the day.

Not sure anyone is saying they need to stick more on - they possibly should spread services out, rather than duplicating routes in areas that probably don't justify such a frequent service to a couple of different destinations.

Herrington Burn doesn't justify the x1, 35b or 35c - pretty much following each other between Hetton and Herrington Burn.

Fatfield doesn't need the 2a, 2c and the 4.

Does the Coast Road need 8 buses an hour running along it?

I can't see crowds of people using the 42 and 60 along the common section of their routes either.

Whilst the 26 will serve part of North Sunderland that the 56 won't, will they be busy?

Yet, Wallsend and other towns, villages and Estates with bigger populations (and Fencehouses) have nowt.
Can't see the logic myself.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
JP6004   15 Nov 2013, 6:16 pm
On a different note, with all these new arrivals, the resulting spares is enough to get rid of the Olympians and SPD (providing GNE are willing to replace the DD with singles)
Dan   15 Nov 2013, 6:18 pm
(15 Nov 2013, 6:16 pm)JP6004 wrote On a different note, with all these new arrivals, the resulting spares is enough to get rid of the Olympians and SPD (providing GNE are willing to replace the DD with singles)

Yes, that's true. All Olympians and SPDs will be gone by January.
I believe Lolynes and Renowns are the agenda for next year's investment plan.
JP6004   15 Nov 2013, 6:25 pm
(15 Nov 2013, 6:18 pm)Dan wrote Yes, that's true. All Olympians and SPDs will be gone by January.

Yes I imagine some of the 56 solars will go on the X7 to defunk the renowns and maybe some off the toonlink
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
JakeSavage   15 Nov 2013, 7:07 pm
I think folks will find stagecoach provided a lot of routes commercially in Newcastle and Sunderland last Boxing Day, as well as a few in shields too.

Re svc 1: last year it only operated North Shields - Whitley bay. Howdon/ wallsend was only covered by a 17a, also via ferry, I think?

Arriva depots traditionally don't open on Boxing Day.
Dan   15 Nov 2013, 7:10 pm
(15 Nov 2013, 7:07 pm)JakeSavage wrote Arriva depots traditionally don't open on Boxing Day.

Which is why, in previous years, Go North East have been approached to operate Arriva's 306 and 308 services.
gtom   15 Nov 2013, 7:13 pm
Assume X66 later workings are funded by CSC again.

Rather pointless since there's going to be nothing to connect to.

Thought X22 might have got a run out this year.

Metrocentre is 9am to 8pm
Adrian   15 Nov 2013, 7:23 pm
(15 Nov 2013, 5:38 pm)citaro5284 wrote Are these just GNE services, Wallsend might be covered by Stagecoach.

Does the Metro not run too? I have no idea if it ran last year. That's if it's not too Christmasy for them.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
JakeSavage   15 Nov 2013, 7:24 pm
(15 Nov 2013, 7:10 pm)Dan wrote Which is why, in previous years, Go North East have been approached to operate Arriva's 306 and 308 services.

Yes, I think everyone's had a go on the Boxing Day 306/308. I remember travelling on a stagecoach tub Trident in 1999! I also seem to recall classic ran it back in the day with minis? Don't think the 306/308 ran last year though, did it?

I do find it rather amusing seeing all the branded vehicles many miles from home on Boxing Day! Wonder what'll be furthest away this year?
Adrian   15 Nov 2013, 7:26 pm
(15 Nov 2013, 7:24 pm)JakeSavage wrote Yes, I think everyone's had a go on the Boxing Day 306/308. I remember travelling on a stagecoach tub Trident in 1999! I also seem to recall classic ran it back in the day with minis? Don't think the 306/308 ran last year though, did it?

I do find it rather amusing seeing all the branded vehicles many miles from home on Boxing Day! Wonder what'll be furthest away this year?

Why don't the depots open out of interest? Is it a commercial decision, or perhaps terms and conditions related for the driving staff?

JakeSavage   15 Nov 2013, 7:37 pm
Seeing the growth in trading on Boxing Day, I'm guessing its very much more the latter these days.

Before retailing laws became relaxed Boxing Day was so quiet. Totally different now (E.g. Next sale starts at 6am or something ridiculous!). Really not sure if the modern age is an improvement in that respect... Undecided
Malarkey   15 Nov 2013, 9:02 pm
Citylink Versa Photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarke...705149606/

5379 NL63 YAE Started the Day off the 58 before being replaced at Heworth Metro just after 11am by 5378 NL63 YAD, Later on in the Afternoon at about 2pm 5379 was put back on the 58 and it replaced a Unbranded 54reg Citaro Artic, Which lead to 5378/79 following each other to Heworth Metro. 4966/5164 and 8265 were also seen and photographed.

Saltwell Park Streetlite Photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarke...705030965/

8339 NL63 XBH was on Northumberland Street in Newcastle for Promotion Purposes for the Saltwell Park Rebrand and of Course showing off the New Buses. Meanwhile 8341 NL63 XBK was at Gateshead Interchange without it's Branding for Driver Familiarisation, Also Nexus Solo SR 631 was on the 54 while South Tyne 5 Cadet 8246 was on the 53, which were also seen and Photographed.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
stagecoachbusdepot   15 Nov 2013, 9:07 pm
(15 Nov 2013, 7:24 pm)JakeSavage wrote Don't think the 306/308 ran last year though, did it?

Nope - here's the list of bus services from last year:
http://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/fi...%20web.pdf

And here's the list from 2011: http://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/fi...%20web.pdf
gtom   15 Nov 2013, 9:54 pm
Boxing Day was the MC busiest trading day last year. (though not the day of highest takings)

If I was GNE I'd be serving it with as much exposure as possible.
MrFozz   16 Nov 2013, 12:26 am
(15 Nov 2013, 7:23 pm)aureolin wrote Does the Metro not run too? I have no idea if it ran last year. That's if it's not too Christmasy for them.

It has done in the past, I got it from Sunderland to Newcastle in 2010 on Boxing Day...

I wish there was a bus on to Murton, even if it was only every hour, I like to go out and about on Boxing Day and it has caused my pain and grief as I have to walk miles to get a bus and I have hurt myself a couple of times in 2010, walking on the grass verge of the A19(rather stupidly) behind the crash barrier, 2 massive lorries come hurtling past and blew me over, later on walking from Easington Lane to Murton twisted my ankle and had to hobble the last mile home, in 2012 taking a shortcut round the fields near where I live, I fell down an uncovered manhole, nearly breaking my ribs, the fact I am a fat b*****d stopped me falling right through...
Adrian   16 Nov 2013, 1:06 am
(16 Nov 2013, 12:26 am)fozzovmurton wrote It has done in the past, I got it from Sunderland to Newcastle in 2010 on Boxing Day...

I wish there was a bus on to Murton, even if it was only every hour, I like to go out and about on Boxing Day and it has caused my pain and grief as I have to walk miles to get a bus and I have hurt myself a couple of times in 2010, walking on the grass verge of the A19(rather stupidly) behind the crash barrier, 2 massive lorries come hurtling past and blew me over, later on walking from Easington Lane to Murton twisted my ankle and had to hobble the last mile home, in 2012 taking a shortcut round the fields near where I live, I fell down an uncovered manhole, nearly breaking my ribs, the fact I am a fat b*****d stopped me falling right through...

That bit reminds me of the only fools and horses episode that uncle Albert falls down a cellar. Tongue

I do see what you mean though. I think it'd make sense running some sort of special shuttles on boxing day just to link all the Durham villages up to a main corridor where you have things like the 20 and 21 running.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
MrFozz   16 Nov 2013, 1:20 am
(16 Nov 2013, 1:06 am)aureolin wrote That bit reminds me of the only fools and horses episode that uncle Albert falls down a cellar. Tongue

I do see what you mean though. I think it'd make sense running some sort of special shuttles on boxing day just to link all the Durham villages up to a main corridor where you have things like the 20 and 21 running.

lol, great episode, when Del is talking to Mike he says something like 'he could be hurt and all your worried about is your rotten Gregory'...Only difference being I dont have Paratrooper training(like Uncle Albert did) and it hurt like a bitch lmao

But yes, as commercial as Boxing Day is these days with the start of the sales, and football on Boxing Day as well, even a very limited skeleton service to outlying areas would be appreciated Wink
CatsFast101   16 Nov 2013, 8:24 am
(16 Nov 2013, 1:20 am)fozzovmurton wrote lol, great episode, when Del is talking to Mike he says something like 'he could be hurt and all your worried about is your rotten Gregory'...Only difference being I dont have Paratrooper training(like Uncle Albert did) and it hurt like a bitch lmao

But yes, as commercial as Boxing Day is these days with the start of the sales, and football on Boxing Day as well, even a very limited skeleton service to outlying areas would be appreciated Wink

Well the 60 terminates at the harbour so that means Parkside & Dawdon go without a service also. I mean a walk down to the harbour isn't too length like mind but from the top of heathway it's a bit of a treck. I think (similarly as how 47 extends to Consett) why not have the 60's one running up once an hour to Murton via Dalton Park & and the other hourly on its usual route to Parkside. PVR increase of 1. Cut the 42 to Every 20 minutes, it not like passengers even have the option of a arriva bus as neither run do they?
Dan   16 Nov 2013, 8:30 am
Recently transferred 8216 is on 26s today. Not long ago left Park Lane.
Andreos1   16 Nov 2013, 8:53 am
(15 Nov 2013, 6:20 pm)Liam wrote I would imagine some work has gone into analysing the risk of operating services and the potential gains which can be made on the day. If the company don't see potential in certain routes on the day, they won't operate.

Last year, the 1 operated between North Shields and Whitley Bay with Nexus funding. If the route was to operate at a standard where it could be taken on commercially, Go North East would potentially operate the route commercially. They aren't operating it commercially this year, which suggests it didn't run to a minimal operational level last year.

I assume that the Coast Road does require that volume of vehicles per hour, as Nexus also provided funding for Arriva's 306 and 308 on Boxing day 2011. There obviously must be demand for services on the Coast Road for Nexus to implement additional services running alongside Go North East's own 309/310.

If 52,000 more people are heading into Newcastle for the first time on Boxing Day for however many years, (apart from the park n ride) why are services similar to previous years?
Sunderland will be a ghost town and the 40 odd thousand + people who have gone there in the past, will be somewhere else...

Surely it would have made sense to add extra services into Newcastle/Metrocentre (shopping traffic and football traffic isn't a good mix) - rather than have buses duplicating each other along Ryhope Road and at Herrington Burn?

I agree with what you are saying about the analysing of services to identify risk - but this is GNE remember.
Consolidating services in areas they have seen a reasonable patronage in the past, isn't going to help anyone stuck on the Western Bypass.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Kuyoyo   16 Nov 2013, 9:20 am
(16 Nov 2013, 8:53 am)andreos1 wrote If 52,000 more people are heading into Newcastle for the first time on Boxing Day for however many years, (apart from the park n ride) why are services similar to previous years?
Sunderland will be a ghost town and the 40 odd thousand + people who have gone there in the past, will be somewhere else...

Surely it would have made sense to add extra services into Newcastle/Metrocentre (shopping traffic and football traffic isn't a good mix) - rather than have buses duplicating each other along Ryhope Road and at Herrington Burn?

I agree with what you are saying about the analysing of services to identify risk - but this is GNE remember.
Consolidating services in areas they have seen a reasonable patronage in the past, isn't going to help anyone stuck on the Western Bypass.

You do understand that it is a Voluntary shift on Boxing Day, therefore they can only put on services depending on the amount of drivers that have put their name forward. There then also the question - what is commercially viable when the drivers are on double time plus anything extra?
Andreos1   16 Nov 2013, 9:26 am
(16 Nov 2013, 9:20 am)Kuyoyo wrote You do understand that it is a Voluntary shift on Boxing Day, therefore they can only put on services depending on the amount of drivers that have put their name forward. There then also the question - what is commercially viable when the drivers are on double time plus anything extra?

Read through the previous posts - it has already been said that services should be added instead of services which are duplicating others.

I reckon a viable service is one which links key shopping areas with key residential areas - Low Moorsley, Hetton, Herrington Burn etc are all receiving regular services to Sunderland, which will be a ghost town compared to the Metrocentre and Newcastle.
Just a hunch like, but with one of the biggest indoor shopping centres in Europe and 52,000 people wanting to watch a football match, just a few miles away - fed by one of the busiest main roads outside London, a few extra buses heading in that direction rather than carrying fresh air in other places may be a tad more viable.

Dan   16 Nov 2013, 9:49 am
5379 is on the 0950 58 from Heworth to Hadrian Park
Kuyoyo   16 Nov 2013, 10:09 am
(16 Nov 2013, 9:26 am)andreos1 wrote Read through the previous posts - it has already been said that services should be added instead of services which are duplicating others.

I reckon a viable service is one which links key shopping areas with key residential areas - Low Moorsley, Hetton, Herrington Burn etc are all receiving regular services to Sunderland, which will be a ghost town compared to the Metrocentre and Newcastle.
Just a hunch like, but with one of the biggest indoor shopping centres in Europe and 52,000 people wanting to watch a football match, just a few miles away - fed by one of the busiest main roads outside London, a few extra buses heading in that direction rather than carrying fresh air in other places may be a tad more viable.

So you want Deptford based drivers who have voultneered to work Boxing Day to be suddenly told 'by the way, the majority of the shifts are based out of Gateshead because there is where someone who has no idea about running a bus company thinks all the money is going to be', you would see the voultneer numbers drop and an even smaller skeleton services provided compared to what it is at present. It's logic that they've asked for voultneers and then put on the services they can provide instead of the other way round!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   16 Nov 2013, 11:00 am
(16 Nov 2013, 10:09 am)Kuyoyo wrote So you want Deptford based drivers who have voultneered to work Boxing Day to be suddenly told 'by the way, the majority of the shifts are based out of Gateshead because there is where someone who has no idea about running a bus company thinks all the money is going to be', you would see the voultneer numbers drop and an even smaller skeleton services provided compared to what it is at present. It's logic that they've asked for voultneers and then put on the services they can provide instead of the other way round!

Lets not forget that in the UK there is no statutory right for employees to take bank holidays off work. I'd assume its contained within the terms and conditions of employment for some of the long serving staff, but there should be no reason why new recruits or staff at low cost units have a term such as this.

Operators as with every company need to continuously look at adjusting their services to meet customer demand. Sundays and bank holidays are becoming a thing of the past, with increasing numbers of people now working these as standard days.

Andreos1   16 Nov 2013, 11:13 am
(16 Nov 2013, 10:09 am)Kuyoyo wrote So you want Deptford based drivers who have voultneered to work Boxing Day to be suddenly told 'by the way, the majority of the shifts are based out of Gateshead because there is where someone who has no idea about running a bus company thinks all the money is going to be', you would see the voultneer numbers drop and an even smaller skeleton services provided compared to what it is at present. It's logic that they've asked for voultneers and then put on the services they can provide instead of the other way round!

Because other depots don't cover others on Boxing Day?

Dan   16 Nov 2013, 11:49 am
For those hunting down recently debranded 5353 today, it is on X66s. Departed Gateshead a few mins ago
Michael   16 Nov 2013, 11:53 am
(16 Nov 2013, 11:49 am)Dan wrote For those hunting down recently debranded 5353 today, it is on X66s. Departed Gateshead a few mins ago

How many CityLink Versa's are in service now?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
busmanT   16 Nov 2013, 12:03 pm
(15 Nov 2013, 6:18 pm)Dan wrote Yes, that's true. All Olympians and SPDs will be gone by January.

I don't think there is a plan to replace all the Olympians before January, and if the 15 year life for a bus that GNE usually work to is still right then the Trident still have a couple of years at least to go.
Michael   16 Nov 2013, 12:04 pm
a reply for the stop announcements on the drifter 60 -

had immediate feedback from the depot. The last few technical adjustments are being made and the next stop announcements should be operating very shortly, hopefully as soon as next week.

So we should all hear the annoying things from next week!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Pages (41)    119 20 2141