Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2017

• 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (22) Previous 117 18 1922 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

26 May 2017, 10:51 am #341
(25 May 2017, 6:23 pm)dannygee Also noticed recently some of the indigo north tyne solos are making loud noises when slowing down. But what got us today was the next stop announcements making loud squeaky noises instead of the voice.

Also it has been reported to gne again but 5269 rear display been off for about 5 months now

Both the fault with the Next Stop Announcements and the fault with the rear display have been logged with Hanover for them to investigate.

(26 May 2017, 10:25 am)Michael These new ticket machines are nothing but trouble.

Wouldn't allow the driver to log in, then it wouldn't accept my ticket (before anyone asks, doesn't run out until middle of June), then it wouldn't let the driver put a smartzone ticket on to a pass....

Expect this is just a minor teething issue paired with the drivers still getting to know the new machines. I'm certainly not aware of any issues with the acceptance of SmartZone tickets, anyway? Not sure if it applies in this instance, but the drivers' logins have all changed, and some have tried to login with their old details (force of habit, probably) on occasion.

Majority of feedback from both drivers and customers has been really positive, and most of the negative feedback has actually only been with regards to the size of the new tickets (which really aren't too dissimilar from the size of Arriva's tickets!) Majority of staff think they're a million times better than the old machines - much more reliable.
Dan
26 May 2017, 10:51 am #341

(25 May 2017, 6:23 pm)dannygee Also noticed recently some of the indigo north tyne solos are making loud noises when slowing down. But what got us today was the next stop announcements making loud squeaky noises instead of the voice.

Also it has been reported to gne again but 5269 rear display been off for about 5 months now

Both the fault with the Next Stop Announcements and the fault with the rear display have been logged with Hanover for them to investigate.

(26 May 2017, 10:25 am)Michael These new ticket machines are nothing but trouble.

Wouldn't allow the driver to log in, then it wouldn't accept my ticket (before anyone asks, doesn't run out until middle of June), then it wouldn't let the driver put a smartzone ticket on to a pass....

Expect this is just a minor teething issue paired with the drivers still getting to know the new machines. I'm certainly not aware of any issues with the acceptance of SmartZone tickets, anyway? Not sure if it applies in this instance, but the drivers' logins have all changed, and some have tried to login with their old details (force of habit, probably) on occasion.

Majority of feedback from both drivers and customers has been really positive, and most of the negative feedback has actually only been with regards to the size of the new tickets (which really aren't too dissimilar from the size of Arriva's tickets!) Majority of staff think they're a million times better than the old machines - much more reliable.

LeeCalder

26 May 2017, 12:08 pm #342

One machine out of hundreds!
LeeCalder
26 May 2017, 12:08 pm #342

One machine out of hundreds!

Tom

26 May 2017, 3:05 pm #343

Not really just the tickets machines, but it seems the drivers have not be trained properly on them.  Twice this week I have had Wrekenton Bus Link as a starting point on the ticket (apparently going to Old Mineral Lane!). And today the driver couldn't issue a £3.95 day ticket to someone and she didn't even realize she hasn't updated the boarding stage when I got off.

And the ticket machines always say Wallsend Centre to Dorest Avenue no matter where you get on the 40 or 41 so they are not updated on there either.
Tom
26 May 2017, 3:05 pm #343

Not really just the tickets machines, but it seems the drivers have not be trained properly on them.  Twice this week I have had Wrekenton Bus Link as a starting point on the ticket (apparently going to Old Mineral Lane!). And today the driver couldn't issue a £3.95 day ticket to someone and she didn't even realize she hasn't updated the boarding stage when I got off.

And the ticket machines always say Wallsend Centre to Dorest Avenue no matter where you get on the 40 or 41 so they are not updated on there either.

Jimmi

26 May 2017, 3:36 pm #344
One irritation I found with the new machines when I was out on Wednesday, if you have any form of pass (concession, Get Around? or whatever) when someone boards the bus before you with one and you also have a pass, you have to wait a few seconds before the previous person's pass details disappears off the machine, first bus I got on, driver got annoyed because the pass was put on before the previous one cleared off then for the rest of the day, I was looking at the screen waiting for it to disappear and got looks from the drivers to say "H'way mate, put it on there!" not enjoying these new machines so far.
Jimmi
26 May 2017, 3:36 pm #344

One irritation I found with the new machines when I was out on Wednesday, if you have any form of pass (concession, Get Around? or whatever) when someone boards the bus before you with one and you also have a pass, you have to wait a few seconds before the previous person's pass details disappears off the machine, first bus I got on, driver got annoyed because the pass was put on before the previous one cleared off then for the rest of the day, I was looking at the screen waiting for it to disappear and got looks from the drivers to say "H'way mate, put it on there!" not enjoying these new machines so far.

Jamie M

Unregistered

26 May 2017, 3:43 pm #345
(26 May 2017, 3:36 pm)Jimmi One irritation I found with the new machines when I was out on Wednesday, if you have any form of pass (concession, Get Around? or whatever) when someone boards the bus before you with one and you also have a pass, you have to wait a few seconds before the previous person's pass details disappears off the machine, first bus I got on, driver got annoyed because the pass was put on before the previous one cleared off then for the rest of the day, I was looking at the screen waiting for it to disappear and got looks from the drivers to say "H'way mate, put it on there!" not enjoying these new machines so far.
That driver was a clown, though, Jimmi. She didn't even seem to know where Wylam was!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Jamie M
26 May 2017, 3:43 pm #345

(26 May 2017, 3:36 pm)Jimmi One irritation I found with the new machines when I was out on Wednesday, if you have any form of pass (concession, Get Around? or whatever) when someone boards the bus before you with one and you also have a pass, you have to wait a few seconds before the previous person's pass details disappears off the machine, first bus I got on, driver got annoyed because the pass was put on before the previous one cleared off then for the rest of the day, I was looking at the screen waiting for it to disappear and got looks from the drivers to say "H'way mate, put it on there!" not enjoying these new machines so far.
That driver was a clown, though, Jimmi. She didn't even seem to know where Wylam was!

citaro5284

26 May 2017, 3:47 pm #346
(26 May 2017, 10:51 am)Dan Both the fault with the Next Stop Announcements and the fault with the rear display have been logged with Hanover for them to investigate.

You could argue that since they are brand new compared to machines which are years old, they should be more reliable.
citaro5284
26 May 2017, 3:47 pm #346

(26 May 2017, 10:51 am)Dan Both the fault with the Next Stop Announcements and the fault with the rear display have been logged with Hanover for them to investigate.

You could argue that since they are brand new compared to machines which are years old, they should be more reliable.

Dan

Site Administrator

26 May 2017, 3:50 pm #347
(26 May 2017, 3:47 pm)citaro5284 You could argue that since they are brand new compared to machines which are years old, they should be more reliable.

That is true - but I am told they're having far fewer issues than the Vix ones did, when they were first rolled out.

The drivers took much more time to adjust to the Vix machines from Wayfarer too. These aren't as big a leap, and, because they are essentially a tablet (which I'd suggest most drivers would have access to), are quite easy to use.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Dan
26 May 2017, 3:50 pm #347

(26 May 2017, 3:47 pm)citaro5284 You could argue that since they are brand new compared to machines which are years old, they should be more reliable.

That is true - but I am told they're having far fewer issues than the Vix ones did, when they were first rolled out.

The drivers took much more time to adjust to the Vix machines from Wayfarer too. These aren't as big a leap, and, because they are essentially a tablet (which I'd suggest most drivers would have access to), are quite easy to use.

Jimmi

26 May 2017, 3:58 pm #348
(26 May 2017, 3:43 pm)Jamie M That driver was a clown, though, Jimmi. She didn't even seem to know where Wylam was!

You didn't either!
Jimmi
26 May 2017, 3:58 pm #348

(26 May 2017, 3:43 pm)Jamie M That driver was a clown, though, Jimmi. She didn't even seem to know where Wylam was!

You didn't either!

Dan

Site Administrator

26 May 2017, 4:05 pm #349
Though still withdrawn; I am told that 5292 (NK08 CGO) has now been fitted with Wi-Fi, having been returned to Go North East, bringing the total number of vehicles in the fleet with Wi-Fi to 330. This will increase even further once the confirmed 18 Streetlites are delivered.

Coaching excluded as it is a separate entity, this means that approximately 52% of Go North East's fleet is now fitted with Wi-Fi.
Dan
26 May 2017, 4:05 pm #349

Though still withdrawn; I am told that 5292 (NK08 CGO) has now been fitted with Wi-Fi, having been returned to Go North East, bringing the total number of vehicles in the fleet with Wi-Fi to 330. This will increase even further once the confirmed 18 Streetlites are delivered.

Coaching excluded as it is a separate entity, this means that approximately 52% of Go North East's fleet is now fitted with Wi-Fi.

JP6004

26 May 2017, 4:26 pm #350
(26 May 2017, 4:05 pm)Dan Though still withdrawn; I am told that 5292 (NK08 CGO) has now been fitted with Wi-Fi, having been returned to Go North East, bringing the total number of vehicles in the fleet with Wi-Fi to 330. This will increase even further once the confirmed 18 Streetlites are delivered.

Has the streetlite that was spotted in NI been delivered yet?
JP6004
26 May 2017, 4:26 pm #350

(26 May 2017, 4:05 pm)Dan Though still withdrawn; I am told that 5292 (NK08 CGO) has now been fitted with Wi-Fi, having been returned to Go North East, bringing the total number of vehicles in the fleet with Wi-Fi to 330. This will increase even further once the confirmed 18 Streetlites are delivered.

Has the streetlite that was spotted in NI been delivered yet?

Dan

Site Administrator

26 May 2017, 4:29 pm #351
(26 May 2017, 4:26 pm)JP6004 Has the streetlite that was spotted in NI been delivered yet?

No. I think that was one of the first ones to be road tested.

Dan
26 May 2017, 4:29 pm #351

(26 May 2017, 4:26 pm)JP6004 Has the streetlite that was spotted in NI been delivered yet?

No. I think that was one of the first ones to be road tested.

JP6004

26 May 2017, 4:37 pm #352
(26 May 2017, 4:29 pm)Dan No. I think that was one of the first ones to be road tested.

Muchas  Big Grin
JP6004
26 May 2017, 4:37 pm #352

(26 May 2017, 4:29 pm)Dan No. I think that was one of the first ones to be road tested.

Muchas  Big Grin

Michael

26 May 2017, 6:18 pm #353

How often are buses ferried over from Ireland?, hopefully the first few arrive next week.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
26 May 2017, 6:18 pm #353

How often are buses ferried over from Ireland?, hopefully the first few arrive next week.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

26 May 2017, 6:20 pm #354

Can't say i've experience that much of an issue on the 35's & 20's apart from 1, just a slight delay for the pass to scan, but that could be expected if the scanner is to be used for debit cards with contactless payments (not confirmed it is happening).
Edited 26 May 2017, 6:21 pm by gordondack.
gordondack
26 May 2017, 6:20 pm #354

Can't say i've experience that much of an issue on the 35's & 20's apart from 1, just a slight delay for the pass to scan, but that could be expected if the scanner is to be used for debit cards with contactless payments (not confirmed it is happening).

26 May 2017, 6:33 pm #355
The new ticket machines are the same as the ones that First Aberdeen use, and I've had no issues with them!
omnicity4659
26 May 2017, 6:33 pm #355

The new ticket machines are the same as the ones that First Aberdeen use, and I've had no issues with them!

Dan

Site Administrator

26 May 2017, 6:46 pm #356
(26 May 2017, 6:20 pm)gordondack Can't say i've experience that much of an issue on the 35's & 20's apart from 1, just a slight delay for the pass to scan, but that could be expected if the scanner is to be used for debit cards with contactless payments (not confirmed it is happening).

Oxford Bus Company recently installed the same machines and have confirmed that they have the ability of accepting contactless payments:
https://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/serviceupdat...-machines/

It has recently been confirmed to Go North East drivers that contactless payments will shortly be enabled on the machines, following completion of full rollout of the new machines at all depots.
Dan
26 May 2017, 6:46 pm #356

(26 May 2017, 6:20 pm)gordondack Can't say i've experience that much of an issue on the 35's & 20's apart from 1, just a slight delay for the pass to scan, but that could be expected if the scanner is to be used for debit cards with contactless payments (not confirmed it is happening).

Oxford Bus Company recently installed the same machines and have confirmed that they have the ability of accepting contactless payments:

It has recently been confirmed to Go North East drivers that contactless payments will shortly be enabled on the machines, following completion of full rollout of the new machines at all depots.

Venturego

26 May 2017, 9:17 pm #357
(26 May 2017, 6:46 pm)- Only then, we will have a fully integrated travel policy, and I\m  sDan Oxford Bus Company recently installed the same machines and have confirmed that they have the ability of accepting contactless payments:

When Bank Contact-less Debit Card are enabled, can we see a revamp to capped multi operator fares introduced across the NECTA (Expanded Nexus) zones area so that we can see Day tickets ( buzz fare) from Stanley and Consett to the Airport  Return etc... for c. £7.00  - As similar mileage area is available within Tyne & Wear (Nexus' current area e.g.West/East Rainton to Airport via GNE and Metro)

Only then, will we have a truly integrated transport policy, and all  parties will benefit  (Customers and Operators - "GNE et al"). Currently it is cheaper to  go via Taxi from Stanley/ Consett to Airport return for 2 or more passengers,and especially/ significantly for a day trip for even one traveller!

Really need to get this multi-operator pricing right and fairer based on mileage at least!

(Copied in pricing thread)
Edited 26 May 2017, 9:18 pm by Venturego.
Venturego
26 May 2017, 9:17 pm #357

(26 May 2017, 6:46 pm)- Only then, we will have a fully integrated travel policy, and I\m  sDan Oxford Bus Company recently installed the same machines and have confirmed that they have the ability of accepting contactless payments:

When Bank Contact-less Debit Card are enabled, can we see a revamp to capped multi operator fares introduced across the NECTA (Expanded Nexus) zones area so that we can see Day tickets ( buzz fare) from Stanley and Consett to the Airport  Return etc... for c. £7.00  - As similar mileage area is available within Tyne & Wear (Nexus' current area e.g.West/East Rainton to Airport via GNE and Metro)

Only then, will we have a truly integrated transport policy, and all  parties will benefit  (Customers and Operators - "GNE et al"). Currently it is cheaper to  go via Taxi from Stanley/ Consett to Airport return for 2 or more passengers,and especially/ significantly for a day trip for even one traveller!

Really need to get this multi-operator pricing right and fairer based on mileage at least!

(Copied in pricing thread)

26 May 2017, 9:19 pm #358
(26 May 2017, 6:46 pm)Dan Oxford Bus Company recently installed the same machines and have confirmed that they have the ability of accepting contactless payments:

Excellent news, won't stop those people who usually fumble in their bottomless bags for a purse, or their very deep trouser pockets for change, from holding the bus up while they franticly look for their debit cards  Smile
Edited 26 May 2017, 9:20 pm by gordondack.
gordondack
26 May 2017, 9:19 pm #358

(26 May 2017, 6:46 pm)Dan Oxford Bus Company recently installed the same machines and have confirmed that they have the ability of accepting contactless payments:

Excellent news, won't stop those people who usually fumble in their bottomless bags for a purse, or their very deep trouser pockets for change, from holding the bus up while they franticly look for their debit cards  Smile

Ambassador

26 May 2017, 11:42 pm #359
Great news about contactless, disappointing that GNE were the last to the party on it though. Better late than never.

Give me a bus equipped to spec like 9098 (esp a single seat) let me pay by card and I'd question the ongoing need for a car

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
26 May 2017, 11:42 pm #359

Great news about contactless, disappointing that GNE were the last to the party on it though. Better late than never.

Give me a bus equipped to spec like 9098 (esp a single seat) let me pay by card and I'd question the ongoing need for a car

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Ds1197

27 May 2017, 9:48 am #360
Because of an issue at Boldon level crossings, we are diverting 5 & 50 via Cleadon & King George Rd. There is no service at Heaton Gardens.
Ds1197
27 May 2017, 9:48 am #360

Because of an issue at Boldon level crossings, we are diverting 5 & 50 via Cleadon & King George Rd. There is no service at Heaton Gardens.

Pages (22) Previous 117 18 1922 Next

• 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average