You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2017

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2017
(05 Jul 2017, 4:39 pm)Andreos1 wrote Two more Streetlites for Deptford?
Both in corportate livery, driven by fitters and coming along the Felling Bypass.

I'm a massive fan too, they are first spare vehicles not to carry some sort of promotional livery to gain the feature blobs!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bazza90/35...otostream/

I'd still prefer the website and message to be on the black bit above the windows but having seen a Black Cats Streetlite the other week, it doesn't look that bad.
Site Administrator
(05 Jul 2017, 4:43 pm)S813 FVK wrote I'm a massive fan too, they are first spare vehicles not to carry some sort of promotional livery to gain the feature blobs!

I'd still prefer the website and message to be on the black bit above the windows but having seen a Black Cats Streetlite the other week, it doesn't look that bad.

Full compliment of Streetlites on the 39 service today, while 5479 has also entered service today on the 2/2A.

The displaced Scania L94 have not yet made it to services 38 and 61, with the latter service still being allocated a full compliment of gold Citaro.
(05 Jul 2017, 4:43 pm)S813 FVK wrote I'm a massive fan too, they are first spare vehicles not to carry some sort of promotional livery to gain the feature blobs!

The black bit should say..

"Service every 7 minutes along Chester road to Ryhope road? via City Centre on services 2/2A and 39" as suggested before on here.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(06 Jul 2017, 5:01 pm)S813 FVK wrote NSA symbol non existent on the rear of the Crusader Mercs:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nebp2/3558...ateposted/

Yes - done purposely...

The rear would look far too cluttered if there was a NSA feature symbol on the rear too. The biggest selling points for Go North East are the Wi-Fi/USB sockets, which is why these two (out of the three) were chosen. It's unlikely that anyone following the bus in a car would decide to ditch the car and get the bus, just because it has Next Stop Announcements. Wi-Fi and USB sockets are possibly more likely.
(06 Jul 2017, 5:14 pm)Dan wrote Yes - done purposely...

The rear would look far too cluttered if there was a NSA feature symbol on the rear too. The biggest selling points for Go North East are the Wi-Fi/USB sockets, which is why these two (out of the three) were chosen. It's unlikely that anyone following the bus in a car would decide to ditch the car and get the bus, just because it has Next Stop Announcements. Wi-Fi and USB sockets are possibly more likely.

Good job I didn't create any irony by replying to Michael's post which would have been that I think the Streetlites would look cluttered with the suggested details added!

The main thoughts that I have when it comes to the feature symbols is consistency. Obviously, in cases like this, part of that consistency has to be sacrificed because of perfectly understandable reasons. I do agree that it would make the rear look cluttered, I just wouldn't have been able to (and didn't!) spot it as quickly compared to if I had seen a graphic drawing of the rear with all 3 symbols on it, which I imagine would have been the case and would have helped enable the decision not to include it on the final 'product'.

You have also explained in the past that the reason the corporate liveried vehicles had not gained the symbols is because Go North East did not stock them personally, has this now changed with 5479/80 receiving them?
Site Administrator
(07 Jul 2017, 10:38 am)Coppercap40 wrote Is Riversides 559 ever used on public service ?

Yes - on the Byker ASDA Free Bus service, which runs onto the 16:55 and 17:20 554 journeys.
(04 Jul 2017, 5:16 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Most definitely, Due to the B9TL having 2x 235L Tanks which adds up to 470L, With the B5 only having a capacity of up to 250L's in a single tank.
Not sure on the fuel usage of the of both but id imagine it would warrant and extra tank due to the Smaller D5K having to work harder than the D9B in the B9.

Saying that, The holding capacity of the B9 is ridiculously big compared to the E400 and other rivals, So are they actually fitted with extra tanks? I cant remember hearing anything about it.

Arnt TEN's split between Hexham and Riverside Drivers but the buses finish at wither one of them, Such as a board starting at Riverside on a morning but finishing at Hexham in the evening?
If so, Id imagine they'd be allocated on paper to both but would still make appearances on the TTX when required to provide some more flexibility between Tacogrpahed Spares.

Im sure when the news broke on GNE site. It said that a larger engine and higher capacity fuel tank so tge B9s could do more trips without being refuelled. Along with wifi and plugs

Think as part of the consultation there was mention of tables and hot drinks machines also
One of the Tynedale Xpress Scania's is reported to have caught fire at Ovington earlier today. Not sure on which one but apparently the damage was rather bad.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
(08 Jul 2017, 2:19 pm)randomdude wrote One of the Tynedale Xpress Scania's is reported to have caught fire at Ovington earlier today. Not sure on which one but apparently the damage was rather bad.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

[Image: ec3ff875e3507aa23d7e734216f82c72.jpg][Image: 474e4e2b5af62ae81a4fe4781ade0bdf.jpg]
(08 Jul 2017, 2:23 pm)LeeCalder wrote 5233

[Image: ec3ff875e3507aa23d7e734216f82c72.jpg][Image: 474e4e2b5af62ae81a4fe4781ade0bdf.jpg]

Looking at the photo, the damage doesn't look too bad, should be getting replaced soon by a Citaro, least they won't have to rush to get it fixed.... Unless it gets withdrawn.

I would imagine fleet movements will start to happen soon with only 2 more Streetlites to arrive?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(08 Jul 2017, 3:02 pm)Michael wrote Looking at the photo, the damage doesn't look too bad, should be getting replaced soon by a Citaro, least they won't have to rush to get it fixed.... Unless it gets withdrawn.

I would imagine fleet movements will start to happen soon with only 2 more Streetlites to arrive?

You aint see the 'after' pic haha
(08 Jul 2017, 3:02 pm)Michael wrote Looking at the photo, the damage doesn't look too bad, should be getting replaced soon by a Citaro, least they won't have to rush to get it fixed.... Unless it gets withdrawn.
The inside will be significantly smoke-damaged.
(08 Jul 2017, 4:59 pm)Michael wrote Which Streetlites are left to enter service now?

5476 & 5477 - no idea if they have arrived but there are certainly no photos of them out in service yet.
(08 Jul 2017, 5:03 pm)S813 FVK wrote 5476 & 5477 - no idea if they have arrived but there are certainly no photos of them out in service yet.

Thanks, I've been away so haven't noticed anything myself, the fleet list hasn't been updated too but of course Dan will be busy.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(08 Jul 2017, 4:45 pm)RBZ 5459 wrote The rear has been gutted. One for Alphas.

Shame. Bigun and I caught one of the tynedale express scanias last week and we're i.pressedwith how punchy they felt in comparison with the older scanias. I guess that one was.unching just a bit too hard.
Could there not get panels etc etc.... from an older/withdrawn scania, is the chassis in tact?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(08 Jul 2017, 5:21 pm)EL1TE wrote There was one streetlite at Saltmeadows this morning (9:40)

6011 has been loaned to chester-le-street and is on the 21.

For a spell this morning, I saw nowt but spares on the 21.

According to eldest C, the B5's have been appearing on the Pelton - Lord Lawson scholars. Not sure whether part of the route is omitted in this case, as I think they serve the front street.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(08 Jul 2017, 5:46 pm)Andreos1 wrote For a spell this morning, I saw nowt but spares on the 21.

According to eldest C, the B5's have been appearing on the Pelton - Lord Lawson scholars. Not sure whether part of the route is omitted in this case, as I think they serve the front street.

Terminates at the primary school then turns left and returns to the depot via South Pelaw, I believe.
(08 Jul 2017, 5:46 pm)Andreos1 wrote For a spell this morning, I saw nowt but spares on the 21.

Probably not the Go North East Facebook page said

'To celebrate the DURHAM Gala, all of our 21s today are red and are running together in a show of solidarity. There's no wifi, NSA or comfort but they are capitalist treats. Solidarity comrades!'

On a serious note, it's been a always running together spare fest. What's my price rise paying for?
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Surely on what would be a more chaotic day than usual, people would appreciate why buses were running together, even on the 15 minute frequency between Chester-le-Street and Durham?

I am not going to hold back from speculating that the Merc refurbs (which they did not need to go to the expense of doing) have something to do with the fare increases. I'm probably going to be wrong, but they will have increased the amount of money spent by sending them to Blackburn - they are going to want to get that money back so they can reinvest it in improving the service for the customers of other routes. The main way that they can do this is by raising fares.
(08 Jul 2017, 5:37 pm)cbma06 wrote Could there not get panels etc etc.... from an older/withdrawn scania, is the chassis in tact?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear in mind the engine, and earlier mentioned internal structure/furniture, will have suffered more than cosmetic damage. Unless there's a spare Scania engine knocking around, I'm guessing it'll be a costly and time-consuming fix.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(08 Jul 2017, 7:05 pm)S813 FVK wrote Surely on what would be a more chaotic day than usual, people would appreciate why buses were running together, even on the 15 minute frequency between Chester-le-Street and Durham?

I am not going to hold back from speculating that the Merc refurbs (which they did not need to go to the expense of doing) have something to do with the fare increases. I'm probably going to be wrong, but they will have increased the amount of money spent by sending them to Blackburn - they are going to want to get that money back so they can reinvest it in improving the service for the customers of other routes. The main way that they can do this is by raising fares.

I could accept the Gala and even the closure of Front St, but it's a daily thing.
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(08 Jul 2017, 7:08 pm)northern156 wrote Bear in mind the engine, and earlier mentioned internal structure/furniture, will have suffered more than cosmetic damage. Unless there's a spare Scania engine knocking around, I'm guessing it'll be a costly and time-consuming fix.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Should be a spare Scania somewhere in the fleet, one of Deptford's could replace it until the X84/X85 get Citaro's (if that's still happening).

Might not bother fixing it again and send it straight for scrap, even if its an 06 reg Scania.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(08 Jul 2017, 7:25 pm)Michael wrote Should be a spare Scania somewhere in the fleet, one of Deptford's could replace it until the X84/X85 get Citaro's (if that's still happening).

Might not bother fixing it again and send it straight for scrap, even if its an 06 reg Scania.

55-reg.