You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Former Fleet Members Living On

Go North East: Former Fleet Members Living On

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East: Former Fleet Members Living On
Three of the recently sold V-reg Volvo B7 have been loaned to First Group, due to the unreliability of their Dennis Tridents, pending delivery of 10 new ADL Enviro400MMC. These are 6008, 6011 and 6029.

6029 pictured here: https://flic.kr/p/YzadFS
Site Administrator
Several ex-GNE Olympians still active with Nightingale Coaches - and still run really well!

[Image: 37335299124_18e94e0b45.jpg]Nightingale Coaches: R392LGH by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 38013136882_59c80f2ff4.jpg]Nightingale Coaches: R392LGH by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 37990829766_23c9671b83.jpg]Nightingale Coaches: R263LGH by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 37990823796_6419951ca6.jpg]Nightingale Coaches: P818SGP by Daniel Graham, on Flickr
Hi all,

Just been watching a video on Youtube with former GNE Metrobus 3771 in preservation. In the comments below it said this bus is now in a scrapyard in Blaydon. Does anyone know if this is true. I hope not as I used to love these buses as a kid. I can't think of any other ex-GNE C-reg metrobuses in preservation either which would make it even more of a shame.
(27 Nov 2017, 12:35 am)Washingtonian wrote Hi all,

Just been watching a video on Youtube with former GNE Metrobus 3771 in preservation. In the comments below it said this bus is now in a scrapyard in Blaydon. Does anyone know if this is true. I hope not as I used to love these buses as a kid. I can't think of any other ex-GNE C-reg metrobuses in preservation either which would make it even more of a shame.

I last noticed it a couple of months ago in a yard close to the river at Blaydon. Not too sure if it was a scrapyard though.

Charles
(27 Nov 2017, 1:36 pm)Charles41 wrote I last noticed it a couple of months ago in a yard close to the river at Blaydon. Not too sure if it was a scrapyard though.

Charles

Thanks Charles. We're you able to get a good view of it to see what condition its in?

Thanks
I believe that 3771 was towed to THV at Felling a few weeks ago for assessment. It looked in a poor state with several broken windows and clearly some mechanical issues surrounding the rear axle and frame. Hopefully it'll survive.

(27 Nov 2017, 12:35 am)Washingtonian wrote Hi all,

(27 Nov 2017, 6:47 pm)C522LJR wrote I believe that 3771 was towed to THV at Felling a few weeks ago for assessment. It looked in a poor state with several broken windows and clearly some mechanical issues surrounding the rear axle and frame. Hopefully it'll survive.

Fingers crossed it does.

It always looked good in that 58/59 livery.
It would be a shame that all the hard work that went in to it initially, went to waste.

Any idea why/how it ended up in that state?

Out of the 3 (?) Mk2 batches, the Cxxx OCN were my favourites, ahead of the UTN xxxY and Axxx BCN lot.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(27 Nov 2017, 7:48 pm)Andreos1 wrote Fingers crossed it does.

It always looked good in that 58/59 livery.
It would be a shame that all the hard work that went in to it initially, went to waste.

Any idea why/how it ended up in that state?

Out of the 3 (?) Mk2 batches, the Cxxx OCN were my favourites, ahead of the UTN xxxY and Axxx BCN lot.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm wondering if the person who initially bought 3771 ran out of funds to keep it going and has maybe kept it in that yard for storage until they can either sell it on or find more funds. I hope it does get saved. I loved the metrobuses and I agree Andreos that the C reg metrobuses were the best. Their engines/exhausts made a fantastic roaring sound lol.
(27 Nov 2017, 11:11 pm)Washingtonian wrote Thanks for the info guys. I'm wondering if the person who initially bought 3771 ran out of funds to keep it going and has maybe kept it in that yard for storage until they can either sell it on or find more funds. I hope it does get saved. I loved the metrobuses and I agree Andreos that the C reg metrobuses were the best. Their engines/exhausts made a fantastic roaring sound lol.

I've been thinking about the ex-GNE metrobuses again and I was just wondering if anyone knows if any of the old express examples still survive today and if any are in preservation? I was told a lot of them were withdrawn a lot earlier than the standard metrobuses due to chassis corrosion. Don't know if this is true. I loved the old Black,white and red Express Link livery as well as the green Wear Express and Superliner liveries. I also loved their coach seats and they've got to be the most comfortable seats I've ever used in public transport. I would love to think there might be at least one of these fantastic buses still surviving somewhere.
The Expresslink Metrobuses have all long since gone. They not only suffered from having non-standard engines, which proved problematic in sourcing replacement parts, but they did also have corrosion issues. 3789 almost made it into preservation a few years ago, but upon inspection there was severe corrosion underneath and an almost non-existence outer frame. Such a shame, as they were very good buses.

(09 Dec 2017, 11:04 pm)Washingtonian wrote I've been thinking about the ex-GNE metrobuses again and I was just wondering if anyone knows if any of the old express examples still survive today and if any are in preservation? I was told a lot of them were withdrawn a lot earlier than the standard metrobuses due to chassis corrosion. Don't know if this is true. I loved the old Black,white and red Express Link livery as well as the green Wear Express and Superliner liveries. I also loved their coach seats and they've got to be the most comfortable seats I've ever used in public transport. I would love to think there might be at least one of these fantastic buses still surviving somewhere.
(10 Dec 2017, 9:31 pm)C522LJR wrote The Expresslink Metrobuses have all long since gone. They not only suffered from having non-standard engines, which proved problematic in sourcing replacement parts, but they did also have corrosion issues. 3789 almost made it into preservation a few years ago, but upon inspection there was severe corrosion underneath and an almost non-existence outer frame. Such a shame, as they were very good buses.

Thanks for your help mate. It's a real shame to hear that none of them have survived as they were a unique batch of buses and I have loads of great memories of them. Am I right in thinking 3789 was the only Express Metrobus to receive a new engine (volvo?) and the Red and Blue Go Xpress livery? I think this bus went to Premier in Blyth after Go North East as did one other example if i remember correctly.
(11 Dec 2017, 7:35 pm)Washingtonian wrote Thanks for your help mate. It's a real shame to hear that none of them have survived as they were a unique batch of buses and I have loads of great memories of them. Am I right in thinking 3789 was the only Express Metrobus to receive a new engine (volvo?) and the Red and Blue Go Xpress livery? I think this bus went to Premier in Blyth after Go North East as did one other example if i remember correctly.

3787 had the Volvo engine

Off the top of my head 3781-3, 6-9 received Go Xpress colours
(10 Dec 2017, 9:31 pm)C522LJR wrote The Expresslink Metrobuses have all long since gone. They not only suffered from having non-standard engines, which proved problematic in sourcing replacement parts, but they did also have corrosion issues. 3789 almost made it into preservation a few years ago, but upon inspection there was severe corrosion underneath and an almost non-existence outer frame. Such a shame, as they were very good buses.

I know the engines in the 'express' ones were uprated, performing and sounding different to the 'normal' batch. But do you (or anyone else) know what the differences was between the two?
The coach seated DP Metrobuses had Gardner 6LXDT engines (the first such engine application in a bus) compared with a standard Gardner 6LXB in the bus seated examples (3506 - 3510 also had Cummins L10's fitted for evaluation against Gardners in 3501 - 3505).

The 6LXDT engines were rare, which resulted in problems sourcing replacement parts in later life. This was no doubt one of the factors for their early withdrawal. 3787 was trial fitted with a Volvo D10 engine, like those fitted to an Olympian. Albeit this appeared successful, no other were so fitted, possibly down to the cost involved in conversion.

(15 Dec 2017, 10:25 pm)westy3738 wrote 3787 had the Volvo engine

Off the top of my head 3781-3, 6-9 received Go Xpress colours
(31 Dec 2017, 2:34 pm)C522LJR wrote The coach seated DP Metrobuses had Gardner 6LXDT engines (the first such engine application in a bus) compared with a standard Gardner 6LXB in the bus seated examples (3506 - 3510 also had Cummins L10's fitted for evaluation against Gardners in 3501 - 3505).

The 6LXDT engines were rare, which resulted in problems sourcing replacement parts in later life. This was no doubt one of the factors for their early withdrawal. 3787 was trial fitted with a Volvo D10 engine, like those fitted to an Olympian. Albeit this appeared successful, no other were so fitted, possibly down to the cost involved in conversion.

http://archive.commercialmotor.com/artic...t-grows-up

More on the 6LXDT engine.
(30 Jan 2017, 11:01 pm)Andreos1 wrote I have it on good authority that it is going to be a bar and will be an option for those not wanting to go in to the pub during the busy summer months.

It hasn't moved for a while, but this is its current state.
.jpg WP_20180519_13_35_23_Pro (2).jpg
I'm sure someone on here was asking about the whereabouts of Optare Versa demonstrator YJ62FFB (9133) a while back, spotted in Wakefield yesterday afternoon operating with BL Travel
[Image: 41638948855_240861e534_z.jpg]BL Travel: YJ62FFB by Matthew Jimmison, on Flickr