Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739
Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013 | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013

RE: Arriva North East - Latest
Arriva have announced the launch for Sapphire will be at Walworth Castle on Thursday 5th December so I assume the vehicles will enter service on Friday 6th...

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(20 Nov 2013, 8:37 pm)busman101 wrote & postmen ! Oh no, they don't come til the middle of the afternoon !!!

As some of the traffic lights in Gateshead take around 2mins to change and the Angel runs every 7/8 mins & has lots of traffic light controlled junctions to negotiate, it's unfortunately fairly easy for 2 end up together. Whereas a 12 min frequency which has lights at the New Inn & not that many more..........
I agree that if is fairly easy for 2 Green Angels to end up together particularly at peak times but it is worse than that they are often seen 3 together mid route. When I was at Barley Mow around 11.30 on Monday waiting to get a photo of the 23 there were 3 Green Angels dropping off customers at Barley Post office one parked behind the other heading towards Chester le Street.
(22 Nov 2013, 11:46 am)tyresmoke wrote Arriva have announced the launch for Sapphire will be at Walworth Castle on Thursday 5th December so I assume the vehicles will enter service on Friday 6th...

Thanks for the info tyresmoke, any ideas on how to get to Walworth Castle as I have zero idea where it is as I have never heard of the place, bare in my if I were to attend I would be coming from Washington.
(23 Nov 2013, 12:15 am)Adam Malarkey wrote Thanks for the info tyresmoke, any ideas on how to get to Walworth Castle as I have zero idea where it is as I have never heard of the place, bare in my if I were to attend I would be coming from Washington.

As far as I can see, Arriva don't actually serve Walworth Castle? I can't find anyone that does. Searching on Transport Direct's website, it actually suggests I complete the journey by car.

It seems completely bonkers that you'd launch a bus service where you can't actually get to by bus...
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(23 Nov 2013, 12:15 am)Adam Malarkey wrote Thanks for the info tyresmoke, any ideas on how to get to Walworth Castle as I have zero idea where it is as I have never heard of the place, bare in my if I were to attend I would be coming from Washington.

It's on the evening as far as I'm aware, but the closest you can get would be along the B6279 by using Scarlet Band's service 84.

Train and then bike - unless you jump in a taxi?

Hotel is a tad posh like.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(23 Nov 2013, 8:26 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote I think i'll leave it and wait for them to be put into Service

Imagine they should be in service on Friday 6th...

(23 Nov 2013, 12:44 am)aureolin wrote As far as I can see, Arriva don't actually serve Walworth Castle? I can't find anyone that does. Searching on Transport Direct's website, it actually suggests I complete the journey by car.

It seems completely bonkers that you'd launch a bus service where you can't actually get to by bus...

The idea is probably to keep bus spotters away from the launch
(24 Nov 2013, 4:47 pm)busman101 wrote The idea is probably to keep bus spotters away from the launch

Surely bus spotters with cars, or has friend(s) with a car, could still get there?
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(24 Nov 2013, 4:47 pm)busman101 wrote The idea is probably to keep bus spotters away from the launch

So who will attend? I think more bus spotters will have cars than bus passengers.
Re: RE: Arriva North East - Latest

And the prospective customers? Sorry the decision completely baffles me.
(24 Nov 2013, 4:57 pm)aureolin wrote And the prospective customers? Sorry the decision completely baffles me.

You and me both, you'd think a launch but would be on or near the route & for your customers rather than away for the route in a place you have to have a car to get to
I'm completely lost by arriva branding buses, what is the meaning of " the captains tale " or " the directors cut ". The latter i've not seen but a member of the " X1 the best one " team mentioned it
(25 Nov 2013, 9:07 am)nk55 wrote I'm completely lost by arriva branding buses, what is the meaning of " the captains tale " or " the directors cut ". The latter i've not seen but a member of the " X1 the best one " team mentioned it

The Directors Cut is linked to film director Ridley Scott who lived in Teesside for a period of his life when younger. I was once told there was a plan to name the buses after his films but this didn't happen.

The Captains Tale is named after a film of the same name which was about West Auckland FC's exploits in winning the first World Cup.

Very strange links I know.

Re: RE: Arriva North East - Latest
(25 Nov 2013, 10:48 am)tyresmoke wrote The Directors Cut is linked to film director Ridley Scott who lived in Teesside for a period of his life when younger. I was once told there was a plan to name the buses after his films but this didn't happen.

The Captains Tale is named after a film of the same name which was about West Auckland FC's exploits in winning the first World Cup.

Very strange links I know.

Shows some thought has went into it now you've said that though. I'm surprised Arriva don't localise the north east section of its website more to include things like this..
I didn't catch the fleetname but one of the branded X2 deckers was expired at Birtley Three Tuns (southbound)

re- the launch. I don't think its an issue hosting it offsite. Couple of nice photogenic shots with good PR
Site Administrator
(25 Nov 2013, 5:01 pm)gtomlinson wrote re- the launch. I don't think its an issue hosting it offsite. Couple of nice photogenic shots with good PR

Would that not be better as a separate 'marketing push'?
Maybe one in the City Centre, and one slightly further afield? That said, I'm against companies marketing services in 'photogenic' locations if they don't serve the area anyway.

A lot of GNE's stuff used to be marketed at Quayside and the Metrocentre iirc, and I hated that as it didn't represent that service at all. Must say I'm a fan of the current marketing though - I don't think many would suggest otherwise, unless they aren't lovers of coffee as was discussed on a GNE Facebook post this morning!
(25 Nov 2013, 5:01 pm)gtomlinson wrote I didn't catch the fleetname but one of the branded X2 deckers was expired at Birtley Three Tuns (southbound)

re- the launch. I don't think its an issue hosting it offsite. Couple of nice photogenic shots with good PR

Do you not think it's a bit like Stagecoach launching one of their services for Newcastle in Washington? Lambton Castle is a lovely setting, but the chances of anyone near by using the service are minimal. Take a bus or two up to get a publicity shot sure, but the launch needs to be in the face of prospective customers.
Site Administrator
(25 Nov 2013, 6:44 pm)aureolin wrote Take a bus or two up to get a publicity shot sure, but the launch needs to be in the face of prospective customers.

If I recall correctly, Stagecoach had a small clip on one of their anti-QCS videos where one of their electric buses went past The Angel and Stadium of Light...
As The Angel is a SC-free zone and Sunderland do not have any E400Hs, I really don't see why it was appropriate to contain clips of their buses at these locations?
(25 Nov 2013, 6:48 pm)Dan wrote If I recall correctly, Stagecoach had a small clip on one of their anti-QCS videos where one of their electric buses went past The Angel and Stadium of Light...
As The Angel is a SC-free zone and Sunderland do not have any E400Hs, I really don't see why it was appropriate to contain clips of their buses at these locations?

Some overpaid marketing exec thinking it looks good no doubt.
Site Administrator
(25 Nov 2013, 6:51 pm)aureolin wrote Some overpaid marketing exec thinking it looks good no doubt.

Same thing applies for the marketing of services in these 'photogenic locations' if the service being marketed goes nowhere near that place though, I guess!
(25 Nov 2013, 5:18 pm)Dan wrote Would that not be better as a separate 'marketing push'?
Maybe one in the City Centre, and one slightly further afield? That said, I'm against companies marketing services in 'photogenic' locations if they don't serve the area anyway.

A lot of GNE's stuff used to be marketed at Quayside and the Metrocentre iirc, and I hated that as it didn't represent that service at all. Must say I'm a fan of the current marketing though - I don't think many would suggest otherwise, unless they aren't lovers of coffee as was discussed on a GNE Facebook post this morning!

I keep telling you, we need a like button on here ! There is one promotion coming up that will be a touch off route, but its all for the right reasons and will be a cracker
I've been told the location of the Service 7 launch is down to the lack of facilities en-route that can accommodate all ten Sapphire vehicles at once, plus entertainment.
Site Administrator
(25 Nov 2013, 9:36 pm)busman101 wrote I keep telling you, we need a like button on here ! There is one promotion coming up that will be a touch off route, but its all for the right reasons and will be a cracker

A little note - Saturdays are a day to consider too!

If marketing is done on weekday mornings from, let's say, 9am until noon - the majority of the people who you want to attract to buses (workers/commuters - in short, fare paying passengers) are missing out on all of the promotion.
Those who aren't fare paying passengers start to rise from the dead at half 9, and you certainly don't want them being the people who you're spending all of the marketing budget on!

The way I look at it is - if the people promoting are at work, then a lot of others will be too.
(25 Nov 2013, 9:40 pm)VolvoMarkII wrote I've been told the location of the Service 7 launch is down to the lack of facilities en-route that can accommodate all ten Sapphire vehicles at once, plus entertainment.

While this does sound nice and flashy, are all ten "Sapphire" branded vehicles really needed at the launch?
Don't get me wrong, it will attract attention and all... But if you're not appealing to the service's custom?
Unless it's going to be so flashy it manages to get on the news...
(25 Nov 2013, 9:42 pm)Dan wrote A little note - Saturdays are a day to consider too!

If marketing is done on weekday mornings from, let's say, 9am until noon - the majority of the people who you want to attract to buses (workers/commuters - in short, fare paying passengers) are missing out on all of the promotion.
Those who aren't fare paying passengers start to rise from the dead at half 9, and you certainly don't want them being the people who you're spending all of the marketing budget on!

The way I look at it is - if the people promoting are at work, then a lot of others will be too.

I'd second that for any bus company. The majority of your fare paying passengers are at work or education when most promotions are ran. I'd make an effort to head through to somewhere if it was on a Saturday.
(25 Nov 2013, 9:43 pm)Dan wrote While this does sound nice and flashy, are all ten "Sapphire" branded vehicles really needed at the launch?
Don't get me wrong, it will attract attention and all... But if you're not appealing to the service's custom?
Unless it's going to be so flashy it manages to get on the news...

Except there are 11 Sapphire Pulsars not 10. The PVR is 10 with Darlington having a dedicated spare.
Site Administrator
(25 Nov 2013, 9:45 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Except there are 11 Sapphire Pulsars not 10. The PVR is 10 with Darlington having a dedicated spare.

The number was irrelevant really - was just quoting the number Mark gave. Tongue
Ta for the correction anyway.
I think they are trying to make a big thing about the Sapphire, using it as an example for the Department for Transport of how services can be improved. As this is the only service in the North East (for now) to have the improved Sapphire standard, they are trying to make it stand out. Another reason why they would probably want all of the buses there is because out of the 4 UK Sapphire routes, Darlington/Durham are the only depots to get brand new buses for the service.
(25 Nov 2013, 9:44 pm)aureolin wrote I'd second that for any bus company. The majority of your fare paying passengers are at work or education when most promotions are ran. I'd make an effort to head through to somewhere if it was on a Saturday.

Comments from you and Dan noted & some stuff has been on Saturdays plus there's been stuff in half terms and on school strike days too