Menu

Pages (60)    135 36 3760   
Andreos1   21 Jan 2018, 8:30 pm
(21 Jan 2018, 4:39 pm)mb134 wrote Hence why I made the point that if I wasn't too sure what it included, I'd check on the map (or ask the driver...)

I'd say this is probably what has led to Arriva having a vast amount of options available, which in my opinion is the best way to go about it, as long as drivers are adequately knowledgeable about the tickets they may be selling on their route. There is absolutely no cost to Arriva to have a low-selling ticket on their system, and if it is very good value for money, they could even spot that and try to promote it more. Don't then withdraw the ticket because it isn't sold that often. As we've seen with the Consett example, all it does is create bad press for the company (which, incidentally, could cost them money)

Totally agree about promoting tickets more. Particularly if they aren't selling well.
I think the most important thing is need to find out why they aren't selling well.
Of course, it could all be PR spin. They could be selling by the bucket load! 

I think your line (and BLM's reference) to drivers is also an important point.
If staff within depots aren't ensuring front line staff are fully aware of the ticketing options available, then questions need asking.
There are all sorts of methods in ensuring staff are aware of tickets.
Of course a conscientious driver could do their own home-work...

(21 Jan 2018, 5:45 pm)Adrian wrote Good post. 

I agree - the old 'Go n Save' tickets made things as simple as can be, and it was a mistake to ditch them in favour of the illogical Buzzfare boundaries. Everybody seemed to know what they'd need with the old ticketing options - either a Tyne and Wear, Three Cities (T&W+Co. Durham) or Regionwide ticket. There was no real dispute about where the boundaries lay. Buzzfare came in and it divided the Tyne and Wear ticket into three zones - including a boundary for some of those commuting from Gateshead to Newcastle, and more bizarrely, a boundary between Shiney Row and Washington Galleries. That of course only tells half a story, because it is without the multiple route savers, town savers and so on.

I've long called for a 24 hour ticket, as oppose to having 'day' tickets. It doesn't seem right that you're charged the same price for a day ticket at 6pm, as you would be at 6am. Despite having some 12 hours extra use out of it. The same goes for Sunday and bank holiday; why should you pay the same price for your day ticket on either of those days, when you have about 1/3 of the normal service operating? You wouldn't pay the price for a pint for a 1/3 in a pub... you'd pay for a third. So why should public transport be any different?

I quite like the idea of evening fares too, and I'd like to think that they'd support the viability of more frequent buses on an evening. Arriva run a '5 for a Fiver' fare in Durham City after 7pm, which is bound to be cheaper than a taxi in all cases.

Overall, I would like to see a lot more integrated working between the major operators in the North East. It is quite clear that they are reluctant to compete with each other route by route, and I think we've seen since deregulation, that it provides little benefit for the passengers when they do. So why not take advantage of the Buses Bill, and have some proper integrated multi bus operator ticketing instead? Cut Nexus and the Metro out, and have a decent product that offers good value for money to everyone... we might actually get somewhat closer to the pipe-dream of an 'Oyster card for the North'... Smile

My travel habits have changed over the years. Numerous reasons for it, be it work, family or other things. 
However, it goes without saying, that the 2006 changes had an impact on my travel habits.

How many other passengers have seen their habits change (positively or negatively), since the 2006 changes? 
I would love to know how the changes have forced change in say Friday night trips to the club for a game of pool.

Whilst I appreciate operators may say they have no social responsibility, they must see at some point that ticket changes, route changes and anything else that impacts on someones life, can and will have long term consequences on their operations.

Just a few of examples of this:
A famous examples was the 194/M1 changes and the removal of a direct bus to St Roberts/Biddick.

I regularly got the 71 on an evening to/from Chester and used to see punters on a Friday get off at Lumley club. They would get the last bus home, getting back home for 23.30.
Nowadays, they will be home before 21.30! Assuming they still go to/from Lumley on a Friday.
Ihave no idea if they do or not unfortunately...

Weekday match at SJP. Not sure whether to thank GNE or not for this one.
Apart from gambling on the last full 4 (at 22.10), fancying an X1 and a walk or a 21, 20 and a walk (done that once - never again), using public transport isnt really an option any more.
At least it has saved me the torture of regularly watching the dross being served out at SJP over the last 12 years.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1   08 Feb 2018, 10:58 am
Interesting comments appearing on the Passenger Transport twitter page today.

https://twitter.com/passtrans/status/961551205511192578

David Begg - worry about industry margins slipping below 8% where the case for new bus investment collapses #UKBusSummit

Obviously this is an example from him and there's going to be differences between each operator/division etc. Just thought it was a nice little point of reference next time we see a price increase or the conversation progresses back to BSOG uplifts Wink

Andreos1   16 Feb 2018, 2:39 pm
(08 Feb 2018, 10:58 am)Andreos1 wrote Interesting comments appearing on the Passenger Transport twitter page today.

https://twitter.com/passtrans/status/961551205511192578

Obviously this is an example from him and there's going to be differences between each operator/division etc. Just thought it was a nice little point of reference next time we see a price increase or the conversation progresses back to BSOG uplifts Wink

Margins supposedly decreasing, but fares increasing.
http://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/trai...46260f?irr

Something's not adding up.

Andreos1   27 Mar 2018, 8:30 pm
It's not just me!

(that isn't me by the way)
Attached Files
.png
wp_ss_20180327_0002 (2).png (Size 161.47 KB Downloads 33)
.png
wp_ss_20180327_0003 (2).png (Size 156.21 KB Downloads 19)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
OrangeArrow49   30 Mar 2018, 8:46 pm
A 24 hour ticket rather than a day ticket is a really good idea. A day ticket in the evening is not a fair deal in comparison to a day ticket earlier in the day. There is plenty to do in the evening, and day tickets can be quite cheap anyway, but a 24 hour ticket is more fair to all passengers.
Adrian   13 Apr 2018, 9:20 pm
Moderation: Some posts moved to here.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
OrangeArrow49   14 Apr 2018, 10:48 pm
Any chance of a 24 hour ticket being introduced any time in the future?

Also, some fares should be reduced slightly on Sundays as the service is reduced.
Andreos1   15 Apr 2018, 7:14 am
(14 Apr 2018, 10:48 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Any chance of a 24 hour ticket being introduced any time in the future?

Also, some fares should be reduced slightly on Sundays as the service is reduced.

ANE offered a 24hr ticket in the lead up to Christmas.
No idea how successful it was.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   15 Apr 2018, 12:38 pm
(14 Apr 2018, 10:48 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Any chance of a 24 hour ticket being introduced any time in the future?

IMO all 'day' tickets should be 24 hour tickets. With the use of new technology like mTicketing and QR code tickets, there is no reason why this could not happen. A lot less chance of fraud (or driver error when examining the ticket) when the technology is providing the validation for you.

I'd also say multi-trip tickets should be reduced on a Sunday and Bank Holiday, to reflect the level of service you have on those days. I find it easy enough to get around with Sunday service if you plan properly, but I kind of resent paying the same fare as I do on a Saturday.

Andreos1   15 Apr 2018, 1:48 pm
(15 Apr 2018, 12:38 pm)Adrian wrote IMO all 'day' tickets should be 24 hour tickets. With the use of new technology like mTicketing and QR code tickets, there is no reason why this could not happen. A lot less chance of fraud (or driver error when examining the ticket) when the technology is providing the validation for you.

I'd also say multi-trip tickets should be reduced on a Sunday and Bank Holiday, to reflect the level of service you have on those days. I find it easy enough to get around with Sunday service if you plan properly, but I kind of resent paying the same fare as I do on a Saturday.

I recently had need to buy a Day Rover and 3 Zone plus on consecutive days. 
It was an expensive two days, operators could easily have saved me a considerable amount of money, if the ticket was available for 24 hours.

To prove your point about the technology, I accidentally picked the wrong ticket out of my wallet at one point on the second day.
It didn't work. The machine pinged an error and I was forced to use the correct ticket.

Adrian   15 Apr 2018, 2:09 pm
(15 Apr 2018, 1:48 pm)Andreos1 wrote To prove your point about the technology, I accidentally picked the wrong ticket out of my wallet at one point on the second day.
It didn't work. The machine pinged an error and I was forced to use the correct ticket.

I've done the same with the QR code tickets. It is brilliant how they speed up boarding too. Certainly a lot quicker than the old Go n Save cards were, or even the Key card for that matter. Perhaps comparable with the speed Oyster cards are read.

OrangeArrow49   15 Apr 2018, 5:45 pm
(15 Apr 2018, 12:38 pm)Adrian wrote IMO all 'day' tickets should be 24 hour tickets. With the use of new technology like mTicketing and QR code tickets, there is no reason why this could not happen. A lot less chance of fraud (or driver error when examining the ticket) when the technology is providing the validation for you.

Yes, day tickets should be 24 hour tickets, but will it ever be a reality? Definitely possible, and can't see any reason not too.

Exactly. Yes, getting around on a Sunday takes more planning than weekdays IMO. My point exactly, same fare but less service, makes no sense to me personally.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
OrangeArrow49   15 Apr 2018, 6:23 pm
(15 Apr 2018, 1:48 pm)Andreos1 wrote I recently had need to buy a Day Rover and 3 Zone plus on consecutive days. 
It was an expensive two days, operators could easily have saved me a considerable amount of money, if the ticket was available for 24 hours.

To prove your point about the technology, I accidentally picked the wrong ticket out of my wallet at one point on the second day.

That is an expensive two days actually. Do you mean a Day Rover and 3 zone plus on both days, or Day Rover one day and 3 zone plus the other? Yes, 24 hour tickets would be very useful, and I see no reason to not introduce them, replacing day tickets.
Andreos1   15 Apr 2018, 7:17 pm
(15 Apr 2018, 6:23 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote That is an expensive two days actually. Do you mean a Day Rover and 3 zone plus on both days, or Day Rover one day and 3 zone plus the other? Yes, 24 hour tickets would be very useful, and I see no reason to not introduce them, replacing day tickets.

It was a Day Rover one day. The other, a 3 Zone Plus.
Ironically, the travel on the second day was completed within 24hrs of the first day. 

Certainly an expensive two days, which could have been a lot cheaper.
I would consider paying a small premium for a 24hr ticket, as long as it showed a clear saving between the current equivalant.

OrangeArrow49   15 Apr 2018, 7:35 pm
(15 Apr 2018, 7:17 pm)Andreos1 wrote It was a Day Rover one day. The other, a 3 Zone Plus.
Ironically, the travel on the second day was completed within 24hrs of the first day. 

Certainly an expensive two days, which could have been a lot cheaper.
I would consider paying a small premium for a 24hr ticket, as long as it showed a clear saving between the current equivalant.

Yes, public transport fares are expensive. How could it have been cheaper?
As you required two different tickets for the consecutive 24 hours, a 24 hour ticket wouldn't have been any use in this case. I guess the Day Rover would cover most of the zones required on the second day.

Maybe a 24 hour ticket is too much of a saving and would reduce the profits made by the operators too much. 24 hour tickets should definitely be issued on an evening, or just singles and returns issued, because a day ticket costing the same morning, afternoon and evening is rather illogical. I would definitely like to see 24 hour tickets introduced by all operators. The operators would lose out if you then didn't need any tickets for the second day, but possibly a 24 hour ticket could be more expensive than a current day ticket, but less than it would cost for two consecutive day tickets.

I would also like a new ticket introduced for regular travel on the same day/s each week. If you travel every Monday, a 7 consecutive Mondays ticket would be more useful than a weekly, monthly or annual ticket. We have lots of ticket options to save money when travelling regularly within a week, month and year, but not regularly once a week. I don't know why this is not an option to be honest. I don't have a name for it yet, but I think it would be a useful ticket.
Andreos1   15 Apr 2018, 7:49 pm
(15 Apr 2018, 7:35 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote I think 

Yes, public transport fares are expensive. How could it have been cheaper?
As you required two different tickets for the consecutive 24 hours, a 24 hour ticket wouldn't have been any use in this case. I guess the Day Rover would cover most of the zones required on the second day.

Maybe a 24 hour ticket is too much of a saving and would reduce the profits made by the operators too much. 24 hour tickets should definitely be issued on an evening, or just singles and returns issued, because a day ticket costing the same morning, afternoon and evening is rather illogical. I would definitely like to see 24 hour tickets introduced by all operators. The operators would lose out if you then didn't need any tickets for the second day, but possibly a 24 hour ticket could be more expensive than a current day ticket, but less than it would cost for two consecutive day tickets.

I would also like a new ticket introduced for regular travel on the same day/s each week. If you travel every Monday, a 7 consecutive Mondays ticket would be more useful than a weekly, monthly or annual ticket. We have lots of ticket options to save money when travelling regularly within a week, month and year, but not regularly once a week. I don't know why this is not an option to be honest. I don't have a name for it yet, but I think it would be a useful ticket.

I could have bought a 24hr Explorer or adapted my travel, not used the metro on one day and bought a 24hr 3 Zone plus.
Part of my trip was in Co Durham.

I do think a pricing structure which involved a small premium, but ensured it was cheaper than buying two tickets could attract growth.

£10 for a 3 zone plus? A significant saving over buying two day tickets.
There's no guaranteeing the passenger will utilise it's full capabilities over both days, but is attractive enough to encourage travel that may not have been otherwise made. The latter being something operators crave.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
mb134   15 Apr 2018, 10:59 pm
I think even split day return tickets would be a good start.

Nightshift staff, for example, would have to buy one return rather than two singles, and may be more inclined to use the bus if they don't already. Same could be said for airport buses, people going for nights out, etc...
Adrian   16 Apr 2018, 9:36 pm
Speaking of Explorers and such... price changes from the 29th -

Explorer Pricing
Adult £10.00 £10.50
Child (15 or under) – One Day* £7.00 £5.50
Family (1 or 2 Adults & up to 3 Children) – One Day* £20.00 (no change)

Day Rover Pricing
Adult £7.20 £7.50
Child (15 or under) – One Day* £3.60 £3.80
Family (1 or 2 Adults & up to 3 Children) – One Day* £15.00 (no change)

http://networkonetickets.co.uk/tickets/pricing/

Its worth noting that this will take the Explorer over the £10 contactless limit set by Go North East, as they don't follow the national limit. 
Arriva wouldn't be affected, as they use the national limit of £30. Stagecoach also use the national £30 limit.

OrangeArrow49   20 Apr 2018, 7:12 pm
Does anyone know if fares on Nexus services are increasing as Nexus are increasing prices for Network 1 Explorers and Day Rovers?

Thanks.
Mark1   20 Apr 2018, 8:31 pm
(20 Apr 2018, 7:12 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Does anyone know if fares on Nexus services are increasing as Nexus are increasing prices for Network 1 Explorers and Day Rovers?

Thanks.

I don't think it's necessarily nexus who are increasing the fares. Network one is a partnership between nexus and the bus operators.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
OrangeArrow49   21 Apr 2018, 12:25 am
(20 Apr 2018, 8:31 pm)Mark1 wrote I don't think it's necessarily nexus who are increasing the fares. Network one is a partnership between nexus and the bus operators.

Thanks, Mark.

I believe a Blue Zone Day Buzzfare is valid on all services to Gateshead Interchange and the Metrocentre as they are in the Blue and Purple Zones. Anyone confirm?
LVK 404L   21 Apr 2018, 6:29 am
(21 Apr 2018, 12:25 am)OrangeArrow49 wrote Thanks, Mark.

I believe a Blue Zone Day Buzzfare is valid on all services to Gateshead Interchange and the Metrocentre as they are in the Blue and Purple Zones. Anyone confirm?

Look on the GNE buzzfare zone map online. All of tho info is on there.
OrangeArrow49   21 Apr 2018, 9:54 am
(21 Apr 2018, 6:29 am)ifm001 wrote Look on the GNE buzzfare zone map online. All of tho info is on there.

I have done and I know the Metrocentre is within the Blue and Purple Zones. My question is can I use all GNE buses for the Metrocentre with a Blue or Purple Zone (not both)? Thanks.
Jamie M   21 Apr 2018, 11:25 am
(21 Apr 2018, 9:54 am)OrangeArrow49 wrote I have done and I know the Metrocentre is within the Blue and Purple Zones. My question is can I use all GNE buses for the Metrocentre with a Blue or Purple Zone (not both)? Thanks.

If you stay within the respective zone boundaries.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
OrangeArrow49   27 Apr 2018, 5:07 pm
How many Transfare zones is Kingston Park - Jarrow and how much would it cost for a return journey?

Thank you for your help.
Jamie M   27 Apr 2018, 5:12 pm
(27 Apr 2018, 5:07 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote How many Transfare zones is Kingston Park - Jarrow and how much would it cost for a return journey?

Thank you for your help.

https://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/f...202008.pdf

nexus wroteThe price varies depending upon the operator, as this is a commercial, not concessionary ticket

Which routes?
OrangeArrow49   27 Apr 2018, 5:43 pm
Usually a Day Rover seems better value than a Transfare.

Go North East is £4.40 for all zones (so £8.80 in total) and £3.70 for two zones (so £7.40 in total). A Day Rover is only £7.20 and going up to £7.50 for unlimited Tyne & Wear travel.

I didn't know the price varied by operator. I can get Stagecoach, GNE or Stanley Travel (Nexus) between home and the City Centre and the Metro to and from Jarrow (for example) or get the Metro between Kingston Park and the City Centre and GNE 26/27 to/from Jarrow.
Jamie M   27 Apr 2018, 5:59 pm
(27 Apr 2018, 5:43 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Usually a Day Rover seems better value than a Transfare.

Go North East is £4.40 for all zones (so £8.80 in total) and £3.70 for two zones  (so £7.40 in total). A Day Rover is only £7.20 and going up to £7.50 for unlimited Tyne & Wear travel.

I didn't know the price varied by operator. I can get Stagecoach, GNE or Stanley Travel (Nexus) between home and the City Centre and the Metro to and from Jarrow (for example) or get the Metro between Kingston Park and the City Centre and GNE 26/27 to/from Jarrow.

Metro will be quicker than bus like. The crusaders have to go by Hebburn etc. If you want a day out, get the 42A to North Shields, then a 5 to Jarrow. Might take you a bit but it'll pass you through a lot of different scenery!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
OrangeArrow49   27 Apr 2018, 6:12 pm
(27 Apr 2018, 5:59 pm)Jamie M wrote Metro will be quicker than bus like. The crusaders have to go by Hebburn etc. If you want a day out, get the 42A to North Shields, then a 5 to Jarrow. Might take you a bit but it'll pass you through a lot of different scenery!

Yes, the Crusaders take a long time compared to the Metro. So my research tells me a Day Rover works out better for all zones and usually two zones. Particularly as the Return Transfare would be purchased from a different operator (Metro rather than bus). 

I wonder if anyone has ever done the full 42A route from the Airport to North Shields?!
Jamie M   27 Apr 2018, 6:17 pm
(27 Apr 2018, 6:12 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Yes, the Crusaders take a long time compared to the Metro. So my research tells me a Day Rover works out better for all zones and usually two zones. Particularly as the Return Transfare would be purchased from a different operator (Metro rather than bus). 

I wonder if anyone has ever done the full 42A route from the Airport to North Shields?!
Starts at Kingston Park, I've only gotten a few stops between Wallsend and North Shields before, even that somehow takes 40 minutes or so. But the 353 was a nice ride out, so I'd imagine still is now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Pages (60)    135 36 3760