You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Tyne and Wear Metro

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro
(17 Sep 2018, 1:20 pm)Michael wrote  

If anyone i would want Hitachi Rail Europe Ltd, they build decent trains like

Not forgetting the impact on the area, presuming Newton Aycliffe would be the location for building them.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/tran...ssion=true

The media are picking up on the story too.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
I'm hoping for something S8-eque.

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

(17 Sep 2018, 1:20 pm)Michael wrote  

If anyone i would want Hitachi Rail Europe Ltd, they build decent trains like

Wouldn't mind bombardier either like
(17 Sep 2018, 12:37 pm)S813 FVK wrote Five bidders invited to negotiate to build a new Metro fleet
https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/five-...etro-fleet

For those who don't know the companies bidding to build the new Metro trains, NEXUS have kindly put a PDF together for the companies and what their recent contracts were - https://nexus.org.uk/sites/default/files..._fleet.pdf
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(20 Oct 2018, 11:02 am)Michael wrote For those who don't know the companies bidding to build the new Metro trains, NEXUS have kindly put a PDF together for the companies and what their recent contracts were - https://nexus.org.uk/sites/default/files..._fleet.pdf

I think they should keep it local and go with Hitachi, could go with a promotional tagline like "Built in the North East, For the people of the North East".
(20 Oct 2018, 10:32 pm)Malarkey wrote I think they should keep it local and go with Hitachi, could go with a promotional tagline like "Built in the North East, For the people of the North East".

I'd quite like something Overground-esque. I really like the Bombadier units. Saying that, CAF units I've used in Spain on a regular basis are always quite nice and feel very sturdy.

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

(21 Oct 2018, 11:10 am)8222 wrote I'd quite like something Overground-esque. I really like the Bombadier units. Saying that, CAF units I've used in Spain on a regular basis are always quite nice and feel very sturdy.

I think there needs to be a balance with the seating units. 
Linear type seating works for short hops. Painful for longer stuff. 

I've done the CAF 463 and whatever the commuter trains are in Mallorca. 
Both decent enough rides and get what you say about being sturdy, but the CAF 493 interior was horrendous. 
Genuinely struggled to find a seat with a decent seating arrangement.
Worse than the early Citaro's!

Have yet to do any Hitachi stuff. Always manage to evade me.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(05 Nov 2018, 5:15 pm)Tom wrote I think it starts at Newgate Street near the Gate

Yes, officially outside of St Andrew's Church. Some drivers will drop off directly outside of St James' Park, however.
Quick question,what actually happened to 4022,i know it was involved in an accident,but is it damaged beyond repair,could find a forum to ask this question so thought i would ask in here,thanks in advance
Kind Regards
Tez
(04 Dec 2018, 3:33 pm)V514DFT wrote Quick question,what actually happened to 4022,i know it was involved in an accident,but is it damaged beyond repair,could find a forum to ask this question so thought i would ask in here,thanks in advance

It's at Barton Hill, Bristol covered up out of view.

I've put faith in the metro today and surprisingly it was pain free. Granted I was only going to Seaburn to University but was still a tad wary!
(29 Dec 2018, 6:33 pm)idiot wrote I've put faith in the metro today and surprisingly it was pain free. Granted I was only going to Seaburn to University but was still a tad wary!

It's not as bad as the dishonest media describes it as... I use it quite frequently and have only experienced one train failure, two system failures and that's about it. I must be lucky to avoid all the reported disruption.

Tyne and Wear Metro
For anyone who is out and about on Sunday 24th February there will be a Tyne And Wear Metro tour out on the system ran by Branch Line Society. The tour itself is already fully booked unfortunately. Nonetheless here is the draft itinerary. This is of course subject to change[Image: 6f440f2c477dd9f56a670557bbeb0667.jpg]
Nexus, the public body which owns and manages the Tyne and Wear Metro, is to replace two ageing Metro bridges in North Tyneside in a £2.5m project.

The Metro Bridges at Beach Road in Tynemouth and Burnside Road in Cullercoats are life-expired and need to be replaced so that they can carry Metro services for many years to come.

The work forms part of the £350m Metro all change modernisation programme to modernise Metro’s infrastructure.

The Burnside Road bridge works will happen over the weekend of March 2-3.

The Beach Road Metro bridge will be replaced over the weekend of March 9-10.

On each of these weekends the Metro line will have to close between Wallsend and Monkseaton and a replacement bus service, 900, will be in operation instead calling at or near stations on the affected route.

Customer Services Director at Nexus, Huw Lewis, said: “We are investing £2.5m to replace these two ageing Metro bridges in North Tyneside to ensure they can carry our trains for many more decades to come.

“The work is vital and forms part of our Metro modernisation programme. Each bridge project is being packed into weekend working so that the level of disruption to customers is kept to an absolute minimum.

“These are complex engineering projects that are securing the long term future of the Tyne and Wear Metro for the 36 million passengers who use it each year.”

The deck of each Metro bridge will be lifted out and replaced using special equipment.

Each new bridge deck will be jacked into place using a multi-wheeled lifting rig.

The main task of removing and then replacing the two bridges is being packed into two weekends in order to minimise the amount of disruption to Metro services.

The international construction company the SISK Group is delivering the project on behalf of Nexus.

https://nexus.org.uk/news/item/north-tyn...25m-scheme
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Tyne and Wear Metro
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...w-15770047

Youths 'kicked out' Metro window while train was moving at 80mph

The title is wrong as the metro only goes up to 50mph (80kph)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(01 Feb 2019, 8:35 pm)TEN 6083 wrote https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...w-15770047

Youths 'kicked out' Metro window while train was moving at 80mph

The title is wrong as the metro only goes up to 50mph (80kph)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Think it's time for them Travel Safe Officers to be relocated to the Metro opposed to Northern Trains, because the Metro currently has no regular on-board staff on the Metro itself.