Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739

Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739

Deprecated: strpos(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($haystack) of type string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 3538

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2013 | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2013

tom.robinson206
Unregistered
RE: Go North East
I saw a UnID Citaro on the 27 today, passing Heworth at around 2-2.30pm - I think this was the only Citaro on the 'Crusader' today?
NEB Admin Team
Unregistered
(25 Feb 2013, 8:47 pm)park5354 wrote
(25 Feb 2013, 3:56 pm)Adam wrote Citaro 5328 has been running on the 24 all day. Saw it at about 15:30 at Wrekenton heading towards Gateshead.

Silver Citaro 5310 operated 2 trips on service 57, until being replaced by 5169 at 09:20, with 5310 then going onto service 58 at 10:55.

I thought I saw 5310 on the Scholars 151 this afternoon, though it could have been 5313 on second thoughts - passed me at the top of Coach Lane about 3:45. I only noticed because it was following a slow tractor that was causing a traffic build-up behind me. That trip seems to normally be a Renown or yellow DAF from what I've seen.
Site Administrator
Apologies for not doing the Daily Digest last night, shall merge it with tonight's if there is sufficient data posted to Flickr by 9!

Solo SR 628 on Staff Shuttles today, replaced 8234 which had worked it from this morning until afternoon. I assume a similar vehicle allocation will be on the 700 as yesterday to cover for 628 being missing.

I must say that the usage of "Sunderland Connect" Solo SRs on Staff Shuttles truly baffles me, esp. when the PVR of the service requires all of them.
No, the 700 only requires 3 vehicles- 629,630 and 640. 628 is the designated spare vehicle to cover if one of the hybrids is off the road.
Site Administrator
(26 Feb 2013, 5:35 pm)dans_bus_photos wrote No, the 700 only requires 3 vehicles- 629,630 and 640. 628 is the designated spare vehicle to cover if one of the hybrids is off the road.

Christ, rookie mistake reading the timetables then - clearly!
(26 Feb 2013, 9:06 pm)Wellsey18 wrote Does anyone have any archive info about this route I never knew it existed till I seen this photo???

No idea what interest this is to Havant Borough Council but there's a link to the full timetable here!

http://havant-travel.info/xephos.php?tem...:timetable&table=NMX68&show=all

Trial express service linking North Tyeside and Newcastle Quays with a direct Metrocentre service. Attempt to take traffic off connecting passengers on the 100 and X66
NEB Admin Team
Unregistered
I've noticed that Havant Council seem to stock a rather large collection of North East area timetables for no apparent reason!

There's a basic GNE styled timetable here - will be uploaded to Bygone Era once it is back online. I definitely don't remember this service lasting long though.

[attachment=4356]
Cheers for the help just saw the photo and didn't recognise the service at all but if it was just a trial probably why I don't remember it!!

Actually thinking of trial routes there used to be one from Hadrian park to north shields I remember can't remember number but it only ran a couple of times a day I think, used to be ran by a yellow Olympian as well when it ran, didn't last long like, just trying to think if it was done before or after the introduction of the 315/316 (and I'm not confusing this with the 391)
(26 Feb 2013, 9:59 pm)Wellsey18 wrote Cheers for the help just saw the photo and didn't recognise the service at all but if it was just a trial probably why I don't remember it!!

Actually thinking of trial routes there used to be one from Hadrian park to north shields I remember can't remember number but it only ran a couple of times a day I think, used to be ran by a yellow Olympian as well when it ran, didn't last long like, just trying to think if it was done before or after the introduction of the 315/316 (and I'm not confusing this with the 391)

Service 958 I think, and was operated between school runs (09:30-14:30). It started not long after service 58 started to Hadrian Park. Residents on Hadrian Pk complained about losing direct service 300 to N Shields, but guess what, the experimental service wasn't used either and was withdrawn after about 6 months.
tom.robinson206
Unregistered
These are the only other pictures of the X68 I can find on Flickr.

Photos by: Chris White's Bus Photos & North East & West Photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/stagecoachu...otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriswhites...127983577/

(26 Feb 2013, 10:10 pm)park5354 wrote Service 958 I think, and was operated between school runs (09:30-14:30). It started not long after service 58 started to Hadrian Park. Residents on Hadrian Pk complained about losing direct service 300 to N Shields, but guess what, the experimental service wasn't used either and was withdrawn after about 6 months.

The 958 was an off-peak service that ran between Felling Square and Fewster Square, after the old 27 was axed through Leam Lane.
NEB Admin Team
Unregistered
It was the 936! Big Grin I can't get a hold of a timetable unfortunately though.

It was launched on Monday 10 November 2008.

"North Shields - Preston Grange - North Tyneside - Hospital Hadrian Park
In response to requests from customers, Go North East will be introducing a new service 936 running from Hadrian Park via North Tyneside Hospital and Morrisons at Preston Grange to North Shields on a trial period until end of March 2009"

It was very much on a "use it or lose it" basis!

http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/local...-1-1596001

I seem to recall the 936 operating an anti-clockwise loop around Hadrian Park. Surely if people are going to be waiting at bus stops in the clockwise direction for then existing 40/40C/41/41C and 58, then it might have helped the 936 if it also operated clockwise so passengers would be more likely to see the bus stop times that it operated?

I think most links are still retained though from Hadrian Park? Changing between 40/58 with 309/310? Could be beneficial to see Arriva's NexusBus 335 extended from Cobalt to somewhere useful during out of peak hours perhaps. I believe the original plan by Nexus for the 335 was for it to run beyond Cobalt to North Shields Ferry, and beyond Four Lane Ends to Quorum - didn't materialise unfortunately.
chris white
Unregistered
Drifter Versa 8303 (NK09FVD) seen on the 700 today in Sunderland.
Fab 56 4935 (Y935ERG) also seen on the 42, managed one shot which wasn't great so tried getting another shot later, but each time the driver saw me after that the spiteful fool intentionally changed the blind to Not in Service until he'd passed me. Angry

Chris.
Not sure of the vehicle but 259 has been involved in a serious RTA at Gilesgate.

Was on the 21 when an announcement came over radio that area around Durham was closed and chaotic
Picking up on the strange vehicles. Saw the fab56 on the 42 at Ryhope today. It was on the 20a last week. Earlier last week the 20a had a drifter and often has a simplicity running it too.
Saw a Prince Bishops vehicle with a new panel just behind the driver earlier today also, so not sure if it has been off the road due to an accident
Adam's GNE Update

(Taking some inspiration in this from Daniel Graham) as I thought it was a Great Way to display Information to make it easy to understand.

The First Item on the list is (Silver Citaros seen today)

5312 was seen at both Gateshead and Heworth N.O.S
5315/5316 and 5332 were on the 27
5314 was on the 49A
5318 was on the 10A
5319 was on the 58

There was few other Citaros on the 27 but I didn't catch them. Also there was a few Ex Crusader Renowns on the on the 27 today also.

Link to Photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/st...2860326612

Next Item is Odd Allocations

568 WSS on M1 (Didn't get photo)
8247 South Tyne Cadet on the M2/M3 (Got a photo but the driver turned the blind off so I'll not be uploading it.)
4949 Royal BL Solar on the X66 http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarke...otostream/
3963 TTX on the 57
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarke...otostream/

New Ten Geminis:

Note I got on two of these today and not once did I hear the Next Stop announced.

In Other News:

5275 Blaydon Racers Citaro was at Gateshead Depot for M.O.T I believe
Also while at Gateshead Depot I got a photo of 4952 which is due to branded for the Great Park Service. (Fitter took the photo not me).

And finally I bumped into Bazza Houston at Gateshead and he told me apparently MetroLink M1 Is getting new buses later in the year from what he's heard. Now i havent heard anything about this at all, first I've heard of this Rumour.

That's it for Today's Update from Me.
(27 Feb 2013, 6:56 pm)citaro5284 wrote
(27 Feb 2013, 6:02 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote New Ten Geminis:

Note I got on two of these today and not once did I hear the Next Stop announced.

Currently there is no announcement on these, only the screens are working.

Are they getting announcements for every stop? The Angel only gets them when approaching certain areas now with those god awful Metro Radio announcements (volume heavily reduced too)

According to a customer post on Facebook wall, one of my beloved Waggonways is on fire. Whilst I hope everyone got off safely I hope the vehicle has been damaged beyond use Rolleyes
tom.robinson206
Unregistered
(27 Feb 2013, 7:34 pm)gtomlinson wrote According to a customer post on Facebook wall, one of my beloved Waggonways is on fire. Whilst I hope everyone got off safely I hope the vehicle has been damaged beyond use Rolleyes

Aw, what a shame Big Grin
Site Administrator
An opportunity has arisen for me to finally make this post, so I shall. I'd first like to apologise for not doing my "Daily Digests" lately - no doubt it has been noticed by many of you, as a few comments are often made about them after the post. Nevertheless, I have had a very good reason for this being so (my Flickr account has seen very little activity for the same reasons)... Due to my very low immune system, I pick up almost every virus going around school. A lot of you know how ill I was last week, and how I only made myself worse by going out, but on Monday, just as I thought I had recovered from it all, a feeling of weakness came over me and because I decided to go out to capture some of the oddities I had timed for later in the evening, I made myself worse. When I got home, I cracked on with some revision for I had an exam the following day and did some homework too. Unfortunately, I had fallen asleep by 20:00 and as a result, the "Daily Digest" did not come. Likewise, Tuesday shared a very similar story. A lot of homework I received on Monday did not get completed, so I finished off Monday's homework and tried to get on with some of the homework I received during that day too. By about 21:00, I'd fallen asleep once more; as a result, the "Daily Digest" was not completed (and neither was the previous night's) because I had been waiting for all photos to be uploaded to Flickr before doing them.
Anyway, I am feeling a lot better this evening, but I'm not risking waiting for photos to be uploaded again as I'll most likely fall asleep again. Already feeling a little drowsy... But yes, the DD's are back! Big Grin

DAILY DIGEST: 25/02/13
Note that information could be inaccurate and/or been proven otherwise since the data was originally gathered!

- Red Omnicity 5274 has been transferred to Percy Main from Stanley. It has recently seen usage on service 9, as can be seen in the photograph below:
5274 (Bazza90 Bus Photos)

- Dual-door "Pulse" branded Renowns are said to be soon moving to Percy Main. They will carry "Northern" branding. This information has not been confirmed officially, it is just speculation (presumably for the upcoming March changes). This will subsequently cause some SPDs to be withdrawn from Percy Main.

- "Northern" 4944 is said to be going to be transferred from Percy Main to Gateshead this evening. As above: this information has not been confirmed officially, it is just speculation.

- Many silver Citaros saw use on various Gateshead services following the transfer which occured in my previous DD. A few examples can be seen in the photos below:
5310 on "Crusader" 27 (Bazza90 Bus Photos)
5314 on "Toon Link" 47 (mdw9121)
5316 on "Crusader" 27 (Bazza90 Bus Photos)
5319 on "Crusader" 27 (Bazza90 Bus Photos)

- "Sunderland Connect" Solo SR 629 saw usage on the Deptford depot Staff Shuttle service, as can be seen below:
629 (danielgrahamm)

- Finally, the odd workings!
"TEN" 6081 on "Toon Link" service 31 (mdw9121)
"SimpliCity" 8325 on "Sunderland Connect" service 700 (danielgrahamm)
"Lambton Worm" 4865 on "Lime" service 8 (danielgrahamm)
"Street Shuttle" MPD on "South Tyne" 88 (Bazza90 Bus Photos)

DAILY DIGEST: 26/02/13
Note that information could be inaccurate and/or been proven otherwise since the data was originally gathered!

- The Silver Citaros continue to be used on various Gateshead-based services. Photos can be seen below:
5310 on service 64A (S.Blair250)
5315 on "Loop" 94 (S.Blair250)
5316 on "Crusader" 27 (S.Blair250)
5319 on "Citylink" 58 (Bazza90 Bus Photos)
5328 on "Crusader" 27 (S.Blair250)
5332 on "Crusader" 27 (S.Blair250)

- Pink Trainer Volvo B10M 7078 has been seen rather frequently in and around the Newcastle and Gateshead areas lately. I'm not entirely sure of where it was based previously (if different to now) but I saw it in Gateshead depot on Sunday. An example of 7078 in action can be seen below:
7078 in action (emdjt42)
7078 in the depot (despite not being the subject of the photo) (S.Blair250)

- Better frontal and rear shots of 4952 have been posted to Flickr, since the first (terrible) rear photo was issued on Flickr by me. I have my uses I guess, alerting you guys of something you can catch throughout the day when the depot is almost empty! For the benefit of the community, I shall share these in today's digest too:
Rear shot of 4952 (mdw9121)
Frontal shot of 4952 (S.Blair250)
A comparison between the old and the new - 4950 and 4952 (S.Blair250)

- Some miscellaneous depot shots showing vehicles receiving attention:
5351 (mdw9121)
8313 (mdw9121)

- "Sunderland Connect" Solo SR 628 saw use on Staff Shuttles today! Contrary to what I had previously thought, this does not affect the 700 service in any way, so I don't think there were any odd workings on the 700. This replaced SPD 8234.

DAILY DIGEST: 27/02/13

- Due to an accident at Grangetown Roundabout, Go North East services #38, #39, #42, #60, #61 & #202 had to be diverted via Spelter Works Road out of town. No photos have been uploaded to Flickr of this diversion.

- An un-identified "Lime" Renown was seen on Chester Road, Sunderland, out of service having broken down while working "Lime" service 8 to Sunderland. It was awaiting assistance at about 16:15 today.

- A "Waggonway" DAF has been reported on the Go North East Facebook page to be 'on fire'. The original post on Facebook can be seen on the link below:
http://www.facebook.com/simplyGNE/posts/...5494085710

- Unlike every other day this week, a "Sunderland Connect" Solo SR did not replace a SPD on Deptford Staff Shuttles - a SPD remained on all day. This, however, did not prevent an oddity occuring on the 700!

- Contrary to what was previously reported in a "Daily Digest" post, Percy Main-based "Northern" 4944 has not been transferred to Gateshead. This is said to have been postponed until the March changes.

- ‎5160 and 4838 are said to have been repainted this evening. If anyone gets a photo of either in the forthcoming days, do let me know and I shall definitely include a photo to it in the DD!

- And finally, the odd workings! Certainly a short dosage today...
"Poppy Bus" 4949 on "X66 Metrocentre" service X66. Note that a "Citylink" articulated Citaro can also be seen in the background of the shot, also working service X66. (ADAM'S NORTHEAST BUSPHOTOS)
"Tyne Tees eXpress 3963 on "Fab Fifty Seven" service 57. (ADAM'S NORTHEAST BUSPHOTOS)
"Drifter" 8303 on "Sunderland Connect" service 700 (Northern Bus Photos)

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this trio Daily Dosage post. If you find anything that is worth including in a DD, do contact me in whichever way is most suitable for you. You can message me on Facebook or PM me on the forum quite easily. Although we have recently been discussing things usually collected in a DD through the day, it does not hurt for us to say it once more in one place! ;-)
Yeah there wasn't many odd workings, I was mainly keeping track on what mercs were on the 27.

Also as reported in my GNE Update, Bazza Houston told GNE have apparently ordered new buses for the MetroLink M1, whether this is true or not I do not know as I haven't heard anything about it.
3879 broke down in Wrekenton this afternoon whilst on the X25. Those Lolyne's seem to be becoming increasingly unreliable.
Once changes happen im sure the 69/69a drop its PVR, maybe 1 of them will go for the 17.
Think the 67 will just a northen branded service

Be intresting in May to see if GNE got funding fron the green bus.

Im hoping in that the 56 will get new buses in this order so the scania's can move on to other services, maybe the 20 could do with a few deckers on route...

I cant comment on other services as i.rarely use GNE services out of Sunderland

Any1 think the 700 might get a increase again in spetember
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
That sounds great can't wait for these new buses to come, just hope they don't buy more Versas.

I would like GNE to buy either Pulsar2's or the new version of the Citaro for single deck operations. And Obviously more Gemini2's as I love them.

Services by brand that come to mind with unreliable/old buses are:

MetroLink
WheyayeFive0
Fab Fifty Six (51regs)
Lime
Lambton Worm
Waggonway
Northern DAF's

I would say MPD's also but I think they'll not be replaced for a while yet, perhaps mid 2014 at the latest i'd say as they work perfectly and have done since GNE bought the 52/53/54reg batches, the 2000/2001 batch of MPD's were awful just like the MPD's.

Speaking of the ELC Loynes I think they'll be withdrawn once the SPD's/Olympians are gone.
(27 Feb 2013, 11:01 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Services by brand that come to mind with unreliable/old buses are:

MetroLink
WheyayeFive0
Fab Fifty Six (51regs)
Lime
Lambton Worm
Waggonway
Northern DAF's

Speaking of the ELC Loynes I think they'll be withdrawn once the SPD's/Olympians are gone.

Looking at those you've listed I'd guess commercially that Metrolink and F56 are probably the 2 most commercially successful.

There's probably a reason why those services have the oldest kit, look how long it took a money maker like the 21 to get decent buses!
I'd agree with that, the Wheyaye50 I think would make quite a bit money also, wouldn't mind seeing Geminis on there. I forgot to mention ToonLink and Fab Fifty Seven in that list also.

I've done a Metrolink Citaro and a ToonLink Gemini2 Paperbus, I'll do a Wheyaye50 Gemini2 at somepoint tomorrow. And I shall post them on here and my Flickr Page.

Obviously GNE are making a lot of money off of Bus Fares and the selling on of the Olympians and SPD's in the fleet and on top of that you have the GreenBus Fund so I can't see why most if not all see New Buses come the Winter.

Plus you have the cost of the new depot on top of that aswell and fuel costs. Looks like a Massive year ahead for GNE
Site Administrator
(27 Feb 2013, 9:23 pm)Rob wrote Northern? Percy Main requires 1 more vehicle to make the PVR of the 17/307 inter-working.

Unless there are any other dual door Renowns, then yes - that is what has been said by a trustworthy source.
Note: 'This information has not been confirmed officially, it is just speculation (presumably for the upcoming March changes)'

(27 Feb 2013, 11:01 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote I would like GNE to buy either Pulsar2's or the new version of the Citaro for single deck operations. And Obviously more Gemini2's as I love them.

I'd like to see something non-standard enter the fleet. I've said this previously: Go North East are becoming more and more like other companies by standardising their fleet. It's a great shame indeed; while it doesn't affect the customer in any way whatsoever (probably provides a better customer service as GNE will have more knowledge of the vehicle and how reliable it is etc), it certainly does affect the enthusiast who doesn't like to see everything so standardised. It's why I often find myself complaining about Stagecoach's fleet - it just gets so boring!

On that note then, what I'd like to see enter the fleet are some Pulsar 2s (would be nice to see them branded up for a Go North East service, and not just in Arriva's generic livery) or some Enviro 200/300s (even 350Hs if it were a matter of Green Bus Funding!) which are obviously more commonly associated with Stagecoach. Likewise, some Enviro 400/Hs wouldn't go at a loss as opposed to Go North East's standard Gemini for double deck operations.

We must consider that quite a lot of Go North East's ex-London double deckers will not be suitable for operation post-2015, so they will have to go eventually... If Go North East are to directly replace them so that services will always have a spare double decker as opposed to single deckers for services, then we will be seeing a few more Geminis (or another alternative should GNE change their ways).

(27 Feb 2013, 11:01 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote MetroLink
WheyayeFive0
Fab Fifty Six (51regs)
Lime
Lambton Worm
Waggonway
Northern DAF's

As for the MetroLink Solars, I'd have said that, having NL52 regs, they wouldn't be quite as bad as other Solars within the fleet. I believe that these NL52 regs will be staying post 2015 withdrawals, as they just scrape the minimum Euro standard. The customer demand is high enough for a double deck (or an enhanced higher seating capacity single deck) operation to be feasible though, so the likelihood of the MetroLink service being one that gains some of the 80 new buses this year is high in my opinion.

Whey Aye Five 0 vehicles, I can agree with you. Despite only being a year older, these 2001 Y-reg series Solars do seem to have been unreliable in the past few months. As it's a service I don't use (Washington-CLS-Durham connection isn't one that I need being from Sunderland), I can't comment on the passenger demand of this service. Nevertheless, I think that these won't even be staying within the fleet post 2015 withdrawals. So, with that in mind, I think that these, in addition to the various MPDs Go North East have, will be some of the next single deckers to go after all of the main culprits have departed (SPDs, Prestiges, etc).

Fab Fifty Six, as above really. I could imagine that the 51 reg series Solars aren't too far behind the Y reg series ones... As for a higher seating capacity operation, I definitely do think that an upgrade would be feasible, and the likelihood of it happening is strong. Go North East have had countless suggestions made on their Facebook page for double deck operation, and this has actually been the case for quite a while now (one or two Vykings/Presidents always seem to slip on there lately).

Lime, Lambton Worm, Waggonway... While they have got the oldest buses and quite possibly the most unreliable compared to the ones mentioned above, I really don't think that the passenger demand of those services is quite high! I've not once been on a full "Lime" 8/78 service between Sunderland and the split-point at Chester Road; the demand seemingly decreases through the route, perhaps increasing at one or two points as you get closer to Consett. I'd imagine the story is much the same for the latter two examples. Nevertheless, all of these will be gone post 2015, so new(er) vehicles are to be expected.

Most of our "Northern" vehicles will have to go anyway, in 2015. I don't think very many at all are fit for the minimum Euro category set. The DAFs will be some of the first to go, following on from the SPDs. I think the only reason why Go North East are clinging onto them is because they have such a high seating capacity, and in retrospect, they aren't actually "bad" buses. I rode one from Park Lane to my house while it snuck onto the Lime the other day, and it was a really nice ride. The sound they make is just great, there's very few words other than that... Only downside was the rattle it made while stationary.

(27 Feb 2013, 11:51 pm)gtomlinson wrote There's probably a reason why those services have the oldest kit, look how long it took a money maker like the 21 to get decent buses!

Decent? ;-)
An improvement on the Presidents, but perhaps not 'decent'... Hahah!
Give me a Hybrid E400 instead!

(28 Feb 2013, 12:57 am)Adam Malarkey wrote Obviously GNE are making a lot of money off of Bus Fares and the selling on of the Olympians and SPD's in the fleet and on top of that you have the GreenBus Fund so I can't see why most if not all see New Buses come the Winter.

Plus you have the cost of the new depot on top of that aswell and fuel costs. Looks like a Massive year ahead for GNE

You said it - 2013 will be a massive year for Go North East, and that's why 'most, if not all' of the new vehicles will be gained this year. We have a confirmed 80, but nothing more. For 2013, I think that we'll see just that. 2014 will see the rest of the upgrades.
Can straight away debunk the 5160 repaint - for it has just left Blaydon for Wardley on the 69A still very much in Pulse livery.

Also, the suggestion that the 67 will be a un-branded route, considering the timetable suggests it will interwork with the 69 in Wardley, if the 69 remains Pulse branded, so will the 67.