Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2019

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (10) Previous 16 7 810 Next
24 Dec 2019, 7:22 pm #121
So is 6337 expected to be out any time soon, judging by how many times it's 'launch' has been pushed back, it must have some pretty severe defects, not that I'd be surprised, it is an ADL after all Wink
streetdeckfan
24 Dec 2019, 7:22 pm #121

So is 6337 expected to be out any time soon, judging by how many times it's 'launch' has been pushed back, it must have some pretty severe defects, not that I'd be surprised, it is an ADL after all Wink

25 Dec 2019, 4:26 pm #122
I was out walking the dog this morning past Hownsgill depot and 6337 is in its usual position at the front on it's own and I noticed it's now missing its headlight surrounds
Olympian3521
25 Dec 2019, 4:26 pm #122

I was out walking the dog this morning past Hownsgill depot and 6337 is in its usual position at the front on it's own and I noticed it's now missing its headlight surrounds

26 Dec 2019, 1:19 pm #123
X9/X10s are allocated onto the 6 today

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
26 Dec 2019, 1:19 pm #123

X9/X10s are allocated onto the 6 today

Ds1197

26 Dec 2019, 1:23 pm #124
(26 Dec 2019, 1:19 pm)TEN 6083 X9/X10s are allocated onto the 6 today

And M6
Ds1197
26 Dec 2019, 1:23 pm #124

(26 Dec 2019, 1:19 pm)TEN 6083 X9/X10s are allocated onto the 6 today

And M6

L469 YVK

26 Dec 2019, 3:01 pm #125
Versas on the 310.
L469 YVK
26 Dec 2019, 3:01 pm #125

Versas on the 310.

L469 YVK

26 Dec 2019, 10:48 pm #127
After looking at the allocations for today, I take it that although the Sunday allocations would remain using Streetlites, will the E400MMCs be used on the X5/16A/X30 on Bank Holidays?
L469 YVK
26 Dec 2019, 10:48 pm #127

After looking at the allocations for today, I take it that although the Sunday allocations would remain using Streetlites, will the E400MMCs be used on the X5/16A/X30 on Bank Holidays?

27 Dec 2019, 12:12 am #128
Anyone know about the free tickets from the X-lines events not being received? Thought it would be emailed through after the events had all finished.
OrangeArrow49
27 Dec 2019, 12:12 am #128

Anyone know about the free tickets from the X-lines events not being received? Thought it would be emailed through after the events had all finished.

Jimmi

27 Dec 2019, 12:30 am #129
(26 Dec 2019, 10:48 pm)L469 YVK After looking at the allocations for today, I take it that although the Sunday allocations would remain using Streetlites, will the E400MMCs be used on the X5/16A/X30 on Bank Holidays?
The journeys I saw/used today it did seem a bit overkill having deckers on them particularly the 16A*, but can't really compare Boxing Day to any other Bank Holidays (I don't know what loadings are like on a typical Bank Holiday)

* Durham was like a ghost town on North Road at least when I was there this afternoon, 21s I used were pretty busy though
Jimmi
27 Dec 2019, 12:30 am #129

(26 Dec 2019, 10:48 pm)L469 YVK After looking at the allocations for today, I take it that although the Sunday allocations would remain using Streetlites, will the E400MMCs be used on the X5/16A/X30 on Bank Holidays?
The journeys I saw/used today it did seem a bit overkill having deckers on them particularly the 16A*, but can't really compare Boxing Day to any other Bank Holidays (I don't know what loadings are like on a typical Bank Holiday)

* Durham was like a ghost town on North Road at least when I was there this afternoon, 21s I used were pretty busy though

27 Dec 2019, 3:17 am #130
(27 Dec 2019, 12:12 am)OrangeArrow49 Anyone know about the free tickets from the X-lines events not being received? Thought it would be emailed through after the events had all finished.
I got mine within a week of the event, have you logged in to the app with the email you gave them at the event?
If they're not on there I would get in touch with customer services as they should have had the spreadsheet with the winners sent over to them. I believe it's all done manually so maybe they just mistyped your email address

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
27 Dec 2019, 3:17 am #130

(27 Dec 2019, 12:12 am)OrangeArrow49 Anyone know about the free tickets from the X-lines events not being received? Thought it would be emailed through after the events had all finished.
I got mine within a week of the event, have you logged in to the app with the email you gave them at the event?
If they're not on there I would get in touch with customer services as they should have had the spreadsheet with the winners sent over to them. I believe it's all done manually so maybe they just mistyped your email address

Jamie M

27 Dec 2019, 9:52 am #131
(27 Dec 2019, 12:30 am)Jimmi The journeys I saw/used today it did seem a bit overkill having deckers on them particularly the 16A*, but can't really compare Boxing Day to any other Bank Holidays (I don't know what loadings are like on a typical Bank Holiday)

21 X66 and 53/54 were way busier than anything else coming through Gateshead.

Unusual for deckers not to appear on X66, perhaps 3976 had a part to play. That's my bit of unnecessary speculation for the day.
Jamie M
27 Dec 2019, 9:52 am #131

(27 Dec 2019, 12:30 am)Jimmi The journeys I saw/used today it did seem a bit overkill having deckers on them particularly the 16A*, but can't really compare Boxing Day to any other Bank Holidays (I don't know what loadings are like on a typical Bank Holiday)

21 X66 and 53/54 were way busier than anything else coming through Gateshead.

Unusual for deckers not to appear on X66, perhaps 3976 had a part to play. That's my bit of unnecessary speculation for the day.

Jimmi

27 Dec 2019, 10:08 am #132
(27 Dec 2019, 9:52 am)Jamie M 21 X66 and 53/54 were way busier than anything else coming through Gateshead.

Most the passengers I could see on the buses yesterday were people heading to the Boxing Day sales in Newcastle and at the Metrocentre, although numbers weren't big on some a fair few were cash fares so likely made enough to at very least breakeven.

My thinking now is only core routes in and out of Newcastle/Metrocentre are particularly worth running on Boxing Day after my observations yesterday, despite statements I've made in the past, I now think there ain't much market to run deeper into County Durham especially Arriva territory.
Jimmi
27 Dec 2019, 10:08 am #132

(27 Dec 2019, 9:52 am)Jamie M 21 X66 and 53/54 were way busier than anything else coming through Gateshead.

Most the passengers I could see on the buses yesterday were people heading to the Boxing Day sales in Newcastle and at the Metrocentre, although numbers weren't big on some a fair few were cash fares so likely made enough to at very least breakeven.

My thinking now is only core routes in and out of Newcastle/Metrocentre are particularly worth running on Boxing Day after my observations yesterday, despite statements I've made in the past, I now think there ain't much market to run deeper into County Durham especially Arriva territory.

Andreos1

27 Dec 2019, 12:07 pm #133
(27 Dec 2019, 10:08 am)Jimmi Most the passengers I could see on the buses yesterday were people heading to the Boxing Day sales in Newcastle and at the Metrocentre, although numbers weren't big on some a fair few were cash fares so likely made enough to at very least breakeven.

Maybe there needs to be some sort of flexibility and annual revision of which area has a focus of attention. 
Apart from shopping, the matches will play a big part in the numbers of bums on seats. 
Newcastle were away yesterday, so those travelling from deepest darkest ANE territory would have been doing other things.
Not sure Sunderland (and the position they're in) would have had much impact on services in East Durham either way Wink
Going back a few years, then I do think things would have been different on that corridor. 

One thing that really bugs me, is that operators trot out the 'not enough demand' patter, when there's not much in the way of scientific analysis of checking out the demand.
Surely it's more of a gut feeling or guess-work. We all know how accurate that can be!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
27 Dec 2019, 12:07 pm #133

(27 Dec 2019, 10:08 am)Jimmi Most the passengers I could see on the buses yesterday were people heading to the Boxing Day sales in Newcastle and at the Metrocentre, although numbers weren't big on some a fair few were cash fares so likely made enough to at very least breakeven.

Maybe there needs to be some sort of flexibility and annual revision of which area has a focus of attention. 
Apart from shopping, the matches will play a big part in the numbers of bums on seats. 
Newcastle were away yesterday, so those travelling from deepest darkest ANE territory would have been doing other things.
Not sure Sunderland (and the position they're in) would have had much impact on services in East Durham either way Wink
Going back a few years, then I do think things would have been different on that corridor. 

One thing that really bugs me, is that operators trot out the 'not enough demand' patter, when there's not much in the way of scientific analysis of checking out the demand.
Surely it's more of a gut feeling or guess-work. We all know how accurate that can be!

Michael

27 Dec 2019, 12:10 pm #134
(27 Dec 2019, 12:07 pm)Andreos1 Maybe there needs to be some sort of flexibility and annual revision of which area has a focus of attention. 

Online shopping doesn't help either, but like you said, its always up and down and you can never tell!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
27 Dec 2019, 12:10 pm #134

(27 Dec 2019, 12:07 pm)Andreos1 Maybe there needs to be some sort of flexibility and annual revision of which area has a focus of attention. 

Online shopping doesn't help either, but like you said, its always up and down and you can never tell!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

27 Dec 2019, 12:22 pm #135
Looks like GNE are having issues with the tickets on the app.
Not surprised in the slightest, this is exactly why I refuse to buy tickets on it!
I wonder if they'll ever add the under 25 tickets to The Key, but even then with the requirement for ID I think I'd still pay the extra for nobody to see my photo!

streetdeckfan
27 Dec 2019, 12:22 pm #135

Looks like GNE are having issues with the tickets on the app.
Not surprised in the slightest, this is exactly why I refuse to buy tickets on it!
I wonder if they'll ever add the under 25 tickets to The Key, but even then with the requirement for ID I think I'd still pay the extra for nobody to see my photo!

ne14ne1

27 Dec 2019, 2:53 pm #136
Saw one of the Xlines spares ex-EYMS Gemini 3s heading north, up from the A19 roundabout earlier, around the Blyth Asda sliproad. Any ideas where that would be heading?
(Didn’t see what was on the destination screen).
ne14ne1
27 Dec 2019, 2:53 pm #136

Saw one of the Xlines spares ex-EYMS Gemini 3s heading north, up from the A19 roundabout earlier, around the Blyth Asda sliproad. Any ideas where that would be heading?

S813 FVK

27 Dec 2019, 2:55 pm #137
(27 Dec 2019, 2:53 pm)ne14ne1 Saw one of the Xlines spares ex-EYMS Gemini 3s heading north, up from the A19 roundabout earlier, around the Blyth Asda sliproad. Any ideas where that would be heading?

Thorntons for USB fitting?
S813 FVK
27 Dec 2019, 2:55 pm #137

(27 Dec 2019, 2:53 pm)ne14ne1 Saw one of the Xlines spares ex-EYMS Gemini 3s heading north, up from the A19 roundabout earlier, around the Blyth Asda sliproad. Any ideas where that would be heading?

Thorntons for USB fitting?

Andreos1

27 Dec 2019, 5:43 pm #138
(27 Dec 2019, 12:10 pm)Michael Online shopping doesn't help either, but like you said, its always up and down and you can never tell!

Even with Newcastle being away yesterday, there's still a couple of thousand needing to get back home after being dropped off by the coaches. 
Absolutely no provision at all made by local operators and taxis raking it in.

Eldest Constanopolus and his mates had to pay almost £25 for a taxi after their trip back from Old Trafford yesterday. 
Assuming they're the only ones on the bus, I can see the combined fares more than covering the drivers wages. 
Add a couple more passengers and there's the fuel covered. 

But we keep getting told 'there's no demand'...
I would argue there's more than enough demand, its like nobody actually tries to determine where the demand is and when. 

Im not saying that there should be a full service everywhere - but if Gateshead can run X1's, using 49 branded Streetlite and on previous Boxing Days we have seen later X10's, then something can surely be done on other corridors. 

Or, if taxis continue to be cheaper for a group of mates or using the car is quicker, easier and cheaper (like it was for me yesterday) - then bus patronage will continue to fall and we will see poorer levels of service. 

I genuinely wish someone would come in at the top at local operators and shake things up a little, so that using the bus is easier and cheaper than currently and that passengers can actually rely on a decent service on Boxing Day and other bank holidays.

Andreos1
27 Dec 2019, 5:43 pm #138

(27 Dec 2019, 12:10 pm)Michael Online shopping doesn't help either, but like you said, its always up and down and you can never tell!

Even with Newcastle being away yesterday, there's still a couple of thousand needing to get back home after being dropped off by the coaches. 

Eldest Constanopolus and his mates had to pay almost £25 for a taxi after their trip back from Old Trafford yesterday. 
Assuming they're the only ones on the bus, I can see the combined fares more than covering the drivers wages. 

I would argue there's more than enough demand, its like nobody actually tries to determine where the demand is and when. 

Im not saying that there should be a full service everywhere - but if Gateshead can run X1's, using 49 branded Streetlite and on previous Boxing Days we have seen later X10's, then something can surely be done on other corridors. 

Or, if taxis continue to be cheaper for a group of mates or using the car is quicker, easier and cheaper (like it was for me yesterday) - then bus patronage will continue to fall and we will see poorer levels of service. 

I genuinely wish someone would come in at the top at local operators and shake things up a little, so that using the bus is easier and cheaper than currently and that passengers can actually rely on a decent service on Boxing Day and other bank holidays.

cbma06

27 Dec 2019, 5:59 pm #139
(27 Dec 2019, 5:43 pm)Andreos1 Even with Newcastle being away yesterday, there's still a couple of thousand needing to get back home after being dropped off by the coaches. 

It’s not up to the local bus operators to take them home, maybe there should keep the taxi receipts and bill Newcastle United as it’s there fans who are stuck when being dropped off by coach.

Bus passengers should count themselves lucky that there’s more of a bus service these days on Boxing Day than years gone by, especially when car ownership have grown quite high.

Drivers like to have time to be with family and friends in these Holidays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
27 Dec 2019, 5:59 pm #139

(27 Dec 2019, 5:43 pm)Andreos1 Even with Newcastle being away yesterday, there's still a couple of thousand needing to get back home after being dropped off by the coaches. 

It’s not up to the local bus operators to take them home, maybe there should keep the taxi receipts and bill Newcastle United as it’s there fans who are stuck when being dropped off by coach.

Bus passengers should count themselves lucky that there’s more of a bus service these days on Boxing Day than years gone by, especially when car ownership have grown quite high.

Andreos1

27 Dec 2019, 6:13 pm #140
(27 Dec 2019, 5:59 pm)cbma06 It’s not up to the local bus operators to take them home, maybe there should keep the taxi receipts and bill Newcastle United as it’s there fans who are stuck when being dropped off by coach.

I get that drivers like to spend time with their friends and family. 
As do bar workers, retail staff etc.

I've mentioned before that bus drivers are working in the service sector.
Being a bus driver shouldn't give someone the automatic right to a day off.

The irony of not being able to get to the shops or pub, as drivers don't want to work - isn't missed.

Andreos1
27 Dec 2019, 6:13 pm #140

(27 Dec 2019, 5:59 pm)cbma06 It’s not up to the local bus operators to take them home, maybe there should keep the taxi receipts and bill Newcastle United as it’s there fans who are stuck when being dropped off by coach.

I get that drivers like to spend time with their friends and family. 
As do bar workers, retail staff etc.

I've mentioned before that bus drivers are working in the service sector.
Being a bus driver shouldn't give someone the automatic right to a day off.

The irony of not being able to get to the shops or pub, as drivers don't want to work - isn't missed.

Pages (10) Previous 16 7 810 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average