You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020
(16 Jan 2020, 11:34 am)streetdeckfan wrote With the X1 going E400s, I wonder if they'll still spec the low height version they have for the X30, or whether they'll go for the same height as 6337.
I'm very much hoping for the latter as speccing a low height bus where it's not needed is just bad for the passenger experience
No reason for X1 to be low height, X30 has to be for the low bridge at Dunston
(16 Jan 2020, 11:38 am)JP6004 wrote No reason for X1 to be low height, X30 has to be for the low bridge at Dunston

Exactly, but as others have said they may go down the route of all low height.
Even still, 6337 can still fit under the bridge in Dunston, although only just, you can hear how close the roof is when you go under.
I really feel for the people who rely on the m6... Yet again this morning its off.
I take it The 49 brand is dead?
When did they remove the vinyls from the buses?

Also, do all the StreetDecks have a speed limiter, 6304 seems to max out at 49mph, but others I've been on don't.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
6165 now in use at Chester. This one has had the seats retrimmed.

Hopefully 6162, 63 and 64 will go back in for similar treatment as they’re in an awful state internally.
(16 Jan 2020, 12:08 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I take it The 49 brand is dead?
When did they remove the vinyls from the buses?

Also, do all the StreetDecks have a speed limiter, 6304 seems to max out at 49mph, but others I've been on don't.

MG doesn’t like branding over the windows, will the 9 also loose its window sticker?
(16 Jan 2020, 4:58 pm)Stanleyone wrote MG doesn’t like branding over the windows, will the 9 also loose its window sticker?

Speaking of branding, I'm surprised at some of the new branding if I'm honest.

The way I seemed to read into the new approach I was seeing them create a new fleet livery, and then using the X-Lines as there Express service brand.

I know since the new MD has came aboard a lot of branding has gone, to help created the corperate look.

Surprised with branding of the Little coasters, and I was very surprised with the Green Arrow remaining rather than going corp.

Is the plan to have a fleet of corp buses, the X-lines services, then a few sub brands
Site Administrator
(16 Jan 2020, 5:47 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote Is the plan to have a fleet of corp buses, the X-lines services, then a few sub brands

Not the plan at all.

Route branding is being rationalised and not used to the extent it was in years gone by, but the main effort now is to keep all brands within a "house style".

The new "house style", i.e. a two-tone livery with "road-stripes" (at a 55-degree angle - a la 55 degrees north!) separating them, was designed by Beacon Creative (not Best Impressions as suggested a few posts earlier).

The logic is that if all brands are kept within one "house style", then it is more recognisable as a Go North East bus, as it will have the signature "road-stripes" to identify it as such. X-lines and Toon Tour, being special brands, have these stripes in the opposite direction, so they're still inkeeping with the main theme, but look different enough so they stand out. The idea with X-lines was also so that it could create an "X" shape, denoting the express nature of the route.
(16 Jan 2020, 5:59 pm)Dan wrote denoting the express nature of the route.
Let me stop you right there Daniel!

Seriously though, the X-lines livery really has grown on me, it looks especially good in the rain, the metallic paint really does sparkle (unlike Arriva's Sapphire service!)

Site Administrator
(16 Jan 2020, 6:32 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Would be nice to have NSAs back on the 42/42A, are they now completely without NSAs no matter which vehicle is allocated?

If a Cobalt & Coast B9 is allocated to the 42/A, they’d work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any idea which route the 8 will be taking from the 27th to the 2nd February, due to the Queen Alex Bridge being shut? nothing on the GNE site
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Jan 2020, 6:33 pm)Dan wrote If a Cobalt & Coast B9 is allocated to the 42/A, they’d work.

Thanks, Dan. Why only Cobalt & Coast B9s? Is a Cobalt & Coast B9 ever allocated to service 42/A?
Site Administrator
(16 Jan 2020, 6:39 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Thanks, Dan. Why only Cobalt & Coast B9s? Is a Cobalt & Coast B9 ever allocated to service 42/A?

Because they’re the only buses with the new Next Stop Announcement systems at Percy Main.

No, they should never be allocated to those routes.

Site Administrator
(16 Jan 2020, 6:39 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Thanks, Dan. Why only Cobalt & Coast B9s? Is a Cobalt & Coast B9 ever allocated to service 42/A?

Because they’re the only buses with the new Next Stop Announcement systems at Percy Main.

No, they should never be allocated to those routes.

(16 Jan 2020, 6:38 pm)Michael wrote Any idea which route the 8 will be taking from the 27th to the 2nd February, due to the Queen Alex Bridge being shut? nothing on the GNE site
2 choices, either back along wessington way and over the northern spire bridge or past the stadium of light and over the wearmouth bridge, id presume it would be the northern spire option as it would be less congested but who knows
(16 Jan 2020, 6:56 pm)N1cholas wrote 2 choices, either back along wessington way and over the northern spire bridge or past the stadium of light and over the wearmouth bridge, id presume it would be the northern spire option as it would be less congested but who knows

Hope its not the new bridge, that will leave half of the enterprise park without a bus....can't see it back tracking towards the Southwick one way system and down the enterprise park.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Jan 2020, 5:59 pm)Dan wrote Not the plan at all.

Route branding is being rationalised and not used to the extent it was in years gone by, but the main effort now is to keep all brands within a "house style".

The new "house style", i.e. a two-tone livery with "road-stripes" (at a 55-degree angle - a la 55 degrees north!) separating them, was designed by Beacon Creative (not Best Impressions as suggested a few posts earlier).

The logic is that if all brands are kept within one "house style", then it is more recognisable as a Go North East bus, as it will have the signature "road-stripes" to identify it as such. X-lines and Toon Tour, being special brands, have these stripes in the opposite direction, so they're still inkeeping with the main theme, but look different enough so they stand out. The idea with X-lines was also so that it could create an "X" shape, denoting the express nature of the route.
Not to mention the vehicles receiving 3/4 life repaint - Omnicites/Citaros. Wasnt this part of the reason for the likes of Whey Aye going corporate. No doubt expect to see a lot more citaros go onto corp this year?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
(16 Jan 2020, 7:29 pm)JP6004 wrote Not to mention the vehicles receiving 3/4 life repaint - Omnicites/Citaros. Wasnt this part of the reason for the likes of Whey Aye going corporate. No doubt expect to see a lot more citaros go onto corp this year?

I thought the reason for the 50 going corporate was because it was just an awful brand!
(16 Jan 2020, 7:31 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I thought the reason for the 50 going corporate was because it was just an awful brand!
If you read the news for washingtons omnicities, it states because of branding review and 3/4 life repaint.
Dont forget similar things happened to L94, MPD, B7s

(16 Jan 2020, 7:36 pm)JP6004 wrote If you read the news for washingtons omnicities, it states because of branding review and 3/4 life repaint.
Dont forget similar things happened to L94, MPD, B7s

As usual my attempts at humour didn't pan out!

I think 'branding review' is a polite way of saying 'getting rid of all the cringy brands' and the 3/4 life repaint was an excuse to do it!
(16 Jan 2020, 7:31 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I thought the reason for the 50 going corporate was because it was just an awful brand!

I think the Toonlink and Blaydon Racers brand will be dropped too, due to the interworking with the 6 now.

The Loop brand is dropped from the 26th January - not sure if it'll reappear on the B9's, when the cascades happen, but hope it doesn't.

FAB 56 has been confirmed to be rebranded - Newcastle Sunderland Citylinks - thank god, the current brand is horrendous, its likely to be set up like the new Cobalt and Coast brand, but hoping its part red and part black.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Jan 2020, 7:49 pm)Michael wrote I think the Toonlink and Blaydon Racers brand will be dropped too, due to the interworking with the 6 now.

The Loop brand is dropped from the 26th January - not sure if it'll reappear on the B9's, when the cascades happen, but hope it doesn't.

FAB 56 has been confirmed to be rebranded - Newcastle Sunderland Citylinks - thank god, the current brand is horrendous, its likely to be set up like the new Cobalt and Coast brand, but hoping its part red and part black.
Well I dont know if the clues have been dropped on new NSA...orange and yellow. X1 has red and orange, 4 has light/dark shade of blue.

Yes they will no doubt be dropped, I'm not surprised if citaros on citylink 57/ crusader/ the 9 go into corp before to long when new vehicles/ newer vehicles being allocated.

(16 Jan 2020, 7:57 pm)JP6004 wrote Well I dont know if the clues have been dropped on new NSA...orange and yellow. X1 has red and orange, 4 has light/dark shade of blue.

Yes they will no doubt be dropped, I'm not surprised if citaros on citylink 57/ crusader/ the 9 go into corp before to long when new vehicles/ newer vehicles being allocated.

I actually forgot about that post... long days at work :p
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Jan 2020, 7:57 pm)JP6004 wrote Well I dont know if the clues have been dropped on new NSA...orange and yellow. X1 has red and orange, 4 has light/dark shade of blue.

When are we expecting the Citaros to be replaced? They've not long been refurbished.

Although I suppose they'll have to be replaced soon with them not being Euro 6!

The NSAs could easily be a placeholder though with the background just being a static image and (presumably) easily changed
(16 Jan 2020, 8:05 pm)streetdeckfan wrote When are we expecting the Citaros to be replaced? They've not long been refurbished.

Although I suppose they'll have to be replaced soon with them not being Euro 6!

The NSAs could easily be a placeholder though with the background just being a static image and (presumably) easily changed
Think they were done 2016/2017? No doubt they will gradually be withdrawn over next few years. Last of L94s done in few month and omnis already being withdrawn. Citaros will no doubt be after. I imagine ex bluestar and southern vectis be first to go, possibly becoming new training vehicles

Are the omincities going to take the back seat roll what the scanias used to do?, I can’t see the citarios going to go for at least quite a few years yet.

(16 Jan 2020, 8:17 pm)JP6004 wrote Think they were done 2016/2017? No doubt they will gradually be withdrawn over next few years. Last of L94s done in few month and omnis already being withdrawn. Citaros will no doubt be after. I imagine ex bluestar and southern vectis be first to go, possibly becoming new training vehicles

I think it was mid-late 2017 they were done, so not that long ago really
My guess is the Citaros will live on in the fleet for quite a bit longer, assuming they don't catch fire

The Bluestars are my favourite of them, purely because of the layout. I like having a seat to myself!
(16 Jan 2020, 8:34 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I think it was mid-late 2017 they were done, so not that long ago really
My guess is the Citaros will live on in the fleet for quite a bit longer, assuming they don't catch fire

The Bluestars are my favourite of them, purely because of the layout. I like having a seat to myself!
Feb 2017. Yes they probs be here till least 2022/23. So not long really