Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
|
Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020
11 Mar 2020, 8:41 pm,
RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020
(11 Mar 2020, 8:41 pm)omnicity4659 wrote Preventing them from using said pass when the strikes ended...!

I was more emphasising the fact that the person tried to use the pass when there was a big sign saying free travel!
11 Mar 2020, 8:45 pm,
Exactly what I said. The lack of revenue protection afforded our operators is nothing short of criminal and our neredowells know so! Look at those pitiful notices in the cabs of Arriva vehicles? "In case of assault......!!! Dear me, just what happens?Confusedtay with. your vehicle and contact the depot / police. What with? Arriva won't invest in radios (a bit like inspectors) and I would imagine Stagecoach aren't far behind.
11 Mar 2020, 8:58 pm,
(11 Mar 2020, 8:45 pm)scanialover wrote Exactly what I said. The lack of revenue protection afforded our operators is nothing short of criminal and our neredowells know so!  Look at those pitiful notices in the cabs of Arriva vehicles? "In case of assault......!!! Dear me, just what happens?Confusedtay with. your vehicle and contact the depot / police. What with? Arriva won't invest in radios (a bit like inspectors) and I would imagine Stagecoach aren't far behind.

I've mentioned before a time when the EMV wasn't working on the old ticket machine and a passenger was getting angry because they had no cash with them.
That time the driver tried to contact the depot using their mobile and nobody answered. After a few tries they ended up calling someone at the depot's personal number to get through to someone!
12 Mar 2020, 7:04 am,
Wouldn't it be good if guys like Tyresmoke came to the forum more with the interesting facts from their wealth of knowledge from within the bus industry? Does, and can help support some of the issues that are raised and hopefully gives people an insight into the many problems faced by both the operators and those who are front line delivering the services that we enjoy.
13 Mar 2020, 8:30 am,
When you look at things our Scania fleet, given the hard life they've had are in far better condition than the the likes of 1602 (Streetlite). I dread to think just what these are going to be like if they survive anything like the Scanias. Personally I'd rather be climbing into the cab of Scania as opposed to a Streetlite, a whole better driving experience. It would be rather good and maybe a sound business idea if our Scania fleet was to given a complete overhaul, both ex and internally. Failing that someone should take one of this iconic type into preservation.
13 Mar 2020, 8:32 am,
A few years ago Peter Shipp (of EYMS) did an interview saying that bus services were at risk because the ENCTS passes werent paying enough to the operators. You could have a bus with a lot of pensioners on it which was unsustainable because it was not making enough money.

As far as I know, he's the only bus company boss who has really spoken out publicly in criticism of the scheme. But we all have seen in recent years how services have been trimmed back each time the timetable changes come into force.

It really should be that the ENCTS passholders are charged a small amount per use of the pass, say £1 or even 50p per journey. Not to replace what the councils pay, but to help keep more buses on the road. You could even have those payments ring fenced for use to pay for evening services, or those which require subsidies and wouldnt otherwise run.

That way the pensioner gets very cheap travel but values their pass, and is helping pay a little towards more buses on the road which can of course benefit all of us.
13 Mar 2020, 11:45 am,
(13 Mar 2020, 8:32 am)tvd wrote A few years ago Peter Shipp (of EYMS) did an interview saying that bus services were at risk because the ENCTS passes werent paying enough to the operators.  You could have a bus with a lot of pensioners on it which was unsustainable because it was not making enough money.

As far as I know, he's the only bus company boss who has really spoken out publicly in criticism of the scheme.  But we all have seen in recent years how services have been trimmed back each time the timetable changes come into force.

It really should be that the ENCTS  passholders are charged a small amount per use of the pass, say £1 or even 50p per journey.  Not to replace what the councils pay, but to help keep more buses on the road.  You could even have those payments ring fenced for use to pay for evening services, or those which require subsidies and wouldnt otherwise run.

That way the pensioner gets very cheap travel but values their pass, and is helping pay a little towards more buses on the road which can of course benefit all of us.

I'm a firm believer in making the ENCTS means tested, just like any other benefit (which is exactly what it is, and it should be treated as such)

People, like my grandfather, who can very much afford to travel by bus should have to pay just like the rest of us. Likewise, the ENCTS should be opened up to those who truly can't afford to travel by bus

I get there are other reasons for having the ENCTS other than the cost of buses (ie. stopping loneliness, getting people out the house etc.) but I think the system as it is now is just inherently unfair

As you've probably heard me say before, I'm not a fan of free things as nothing is truly free, but if you're going to give people free travel, at least give it to those that can't afford to pay for it themselves
13 Mar 2020, 7:47 pm,
Being reading just how Stagecoach, in other parts of the country are being very pro-actice in doing what they can to help manage the risk / threat from the Corona virus: I would imagine GNE are much though the same, there always seems to be a high standard of cleanliness and hygiene on their vehicles. But then, yes I know this is the Arriva forum, just what about them and the Corona stuff? I might be wrong but I don't see a cleaning regime as rigourous as the other two
13 Mar 2020, 8:19 pm,
(13 Mar 2020, 7:47 pm)scanialover wrote Being reading just how Stagecoach, in other parts of the country are being very pro-actice in doing what they can to help manage the risk / threat from the Corona virus: I would imagine GNE are much though the same, there always seems to be a high standard of cleanliness and hygiene on their vehicles. But then, yes I know this is the Arriva forum, just what about them and the Corona stuff? I might be wrong but I don't see a cleaning regime as rigourous as the other two
Doesn't matter too much how often a bus is cleaned. It only takes one infected person to pass it on. 

Sticky floors and dudtbunnies don't seem to be a uniquely arriva thing. The angels, in particular, are often revolting inside.
13 Mar 2020, 8:36 pm,
When will 4802 return?

13 Mar 2020, 8:47 pm,
(13 Mar 2020, 11:45 am)streetdeckfan wrote I'm a firm believer in making the ENCTS means tested, just like any other benefit (which is exactly what it is, and it should be treated as such)

People, like my grandfather, who can very much afford to travel by bus should have to pay just like the rest of us. Likewise, the ENCTS should be opened up to those who truly can't afford to travel by bus

I get there are other reasons for having the ENCTS other than the cost of buses (ie. stopping loneliness, getting people out the house etc.) but I think the system as it is now is just inherently unfair

As you've probably heard me say before, I'm not a fan of free things as nothing is truly free, but if you're going to give people free travel, at least give it to those that can't afford to pay for it themselves

I have to agree with you here but there's just one problem who's going to pay to do for the means testing. By the time you've employed the staff to run it you'll probably end much just spending it on that rather that so it's not the biggest benefit.

Personally it's the disabled side I'd target more than pensioners (I do say the age should increase though). Unless you can't work because of your disability so blindness etc then I don't understand why you should get free travel regardless. In an age when we're trying to move people from driving, giving a free pass because someone can't drive in my opinion is a bit counter argutive. Discounted travel maybe, free no.
14 Mar 2020, 12:34 am,
(13 Mar 2020, 7:47 pm)scanialover wrote Being reading just how Stagecoach, in other parts of the country are being very pro-actice in doing what they can to help manage the risk / threat from the Corona virus: I would imagine GNE are much though the same, there always seems to be a high standard of cleanliness and hygiene on their vehicles. But then, yes I know this is the Arriva forum, just what about them and the Corona stuff? I might be wrong but I don't see a cleaning regime as rigourous as the other two

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/coronavirus/
14 Mar 2020, 1:22 am,
(14 Mar 2020, 12:34 am)omnicity4659 wrote https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/coronavirus/
Must admit, I did have a good giggle at "Bus and coach operators have extensive cleaning regimes that maintain high levels of hygiene"
Clearly they've never been on one of their own buses!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
14 Mar 2020, 2:13 am,
(13 Mar 2020, 8:32 am)tvd wrote A few years ago Peter Shipp (of EYMS) did an interview saying that bus services were at risk because the ENCTS passes werent paying enough to the operators.  You could have a bus with a lot of pensioners on it which was unsustainable because it was not making enough money.

As far as I know, he's the only bus company boss who has really spoken out publicly in criticism of the scheme.  But we all have seen in recent years how services have been trimmed back each time the timetable changes come into force.

It really should be that the ENCTS  passholders are charged a small amount per use of the pass, say £1 or even 50p per journey.  Not to replace what the councils pay, but to help keep more buses on the road.  You could even have those payments ring fenced for use to pay for evening services, or those which require subsidies and wouldnt otherwise run.

Paul Thompson of Leven Valley said a similar thing. Passengers weren't even allowed to make a voluntary contribution if they so desired.
14 Mar 2020, 4:54 am,
(14 Mar 2020, 2:13 am)Cock Robin wrote Paul Thompson of Leven Valley said a similar thing. Passengers weren't even allowed to make a voluntary contribution if they so desired.

They could have just paid the fare though. ENCTS has been the downfall of many rural services, some sort of fare contribution system has to be the best way forward.
14 Mar 2020, 12:42 pm,
Maybe there’s a simpler explanation why the government are allowing pensioners to have free travel, maybe what was said in the budget a few years ago and what the pensioners are now had to put up through in the 1940’s, as the younger generation doesn’t realise unless a WW3 arrives, it’s called giving something back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 Mar 2020, 2:55 pm,
(14 Mar 2020, 12:42 pm)cbma06 wrote Maybe there’s a simpler explanation why the government are allowing pensioners to have free travel, maybe what was said in the budget a few years ago and what the pensioners are now had to put up through in the 1940’s, as the  younger generation doesn’t realise unless a WW3 arrives, it’s called giving something back

Sent from my iPhone usin

Incredibly few people who were adults in the 1940s was will still be using public transport. It’s generous to think politicians are thinking of anything beyond their own gain when they were introducing or maintaining ENCTS. Look at the backlash when the over 75’s TV licence was threatened - which was much more affordable for most pensioners. Changing ENCTS would be a PR disaster for the government, so it rumbles on as services are continually withdrawn - see the 81 in Redcar.
14 Mar 2020, 3:12 pm,
(14 Mar 2020, 12:34 am)omnicity4659 wrote https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/coronavirus/
Didn't even see basic levels of hygiene on the ALX400 on our X12, this afternoon.
14 Mar 2020, 3:21 pm,
(14 Mar 2020, 2:55 pm)James101 wrote Incredibly few people who were adults in the 1940s was will still be using public transport. It’s generous to think politicians are thinking of anything beyond their own gain when they were introducing or maintaining ENCTS. Look at the backlash when the over 75’s TV licence was threatened - which was much more affordable for most pensioners. Changing ENCTS would be a PR disaster for the government, so it rumbles on as services are continually withdrawn - see the 81 in Redcar.

Yea the BBC wanted more money from the government for the free tv license for the pensioners, hasn’t the age gone up to get free tv license now?, I probably be under the ground before I get to the state pension age which we have to be about 85 by then, which will save the government money, in the future there supposedly be gradually withdrawing the state pension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 Mar 2020, 3:31 pm,
Our BTL9's seem to be in good health - mechanically. 7402 on my journey down to Whitby, sat on 7406 just. A shame that the high standard of hygiene as promised by Arriva is pretty much non-existent! Keeping these, and other vehicles in a field, with only minimal facilities won't help.