You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - Recent Repaints

Go North East - Recent Repaints

RE: Unknown B9 repaint
(17 Jun 2020, 9:11 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I agree with you there about some of the routes being crap. I've always hated the Red Kite brand so I'm glad that's going away (It's those eyes!)
I genuinely like the Little Coasters branding, it looks pretty good on the solos. It'd be nice if it saw more use.

GNE's use bonded windows whereas the ex london ones are gasket windows (I think that's the correct terminology)

That would work... although does the 6 really need an upgrade to deckers, other than peak times?

It's funny the original Red Kite on the Omnicity was always one of my favourites as it just worked, admit it's terrible on the Streelite though just doesn't work. Funnily I prefer the 2nd version though; the reversed back to the original on the Streetlites.

(17 Jun 2020, 9:48 pm)Big O wrote The ex London Deckers have gasket glazing and the native GNE stock have bonded glazing Wink

Thank you, just totally went out my head.

(17 Jun 2020, 10:00 pm)Adtrainsam wrote I think route branding has gotten a lot better from about 10 year ago. Although there are still some cringey brands such as Connections4 and the Fab56, it’s far better from the days of Magic Roundabout, Pronto and Fast Cats which were utter rubbish (although I liked the light blue on the Magic Roundabout!).

Once most routes are branded in the ‘house style’ in about 6/ 7 years, everything will be a lot smarter.

Maybe the Cobalt and Coast brand references the Coast Road, which the 309, 310 and 311 all travel on...

Can't disagree there but I just think some of the branding up here is a bit crap compared to other divisions they have. For example http://www.buspassheaven.co.uk/wpimages/...316_06.png looks much better than our Coaster.

It's a terrible name imo; the points of brands is to help people who don't know buses. Cobalt is a national business park where people from the area might want to go. Having a bus branded 'Cobalt and Coast' with 309 - 310 - 311 - Newcastle, Coast Road, Battle Hill onto Cobalt and The Coast on the side it's not unrealistic to assume that the bus goes to Cobalt;  kinda defeats the point of a brand anyone on the Coast Road won't care about the brand as it's the only GNE bus they'll get anyway bar the 41.

(17 Jun 2020, 10:28 pm)BeachBoy99 wrote I agree with you on some of the newer brands however some of the older brands, in my opinion, have been amazing:

"Cobalt & Coast" is plain and kind of boring; hate the landmark illustrations in particular.
"Little Coasters" is, again, boring.
"X-lines" is alright, but some of the brands it's replaced/replacing were better – "The Castles Express" and "Red Arrows" being prominent examples.
New "Green Arrow" livery is way better than the old version and fits in with the eco-friendly theme which is great for communicating that message to environment enthusiasts.

"Black Cats" is phenomenal and so detailed. It's probably my favourite StreetLite livery because of the way it wraps around the shape of the vehicles, not to mention how perfect it is for the areas it serves given its S.A.F.C colour scheme.
"indiGo" I've always took a liking to, even more so since the 'simplified' version was established. I don't think having it in two different locations defeats the point of the brand, as the idea of it is to outline the minibus services it provides in smaller/local communities, i.e. Concord, Washington etc.; Peterlee, Seaham, Dalton Park etc."
"Prince Bishops" is one I hope they don't get rid of because it's now one of the oldest brands and has a significant meaning to Durham.
Loved "The 9". Gutted it's been cut back to between Sunderland and Hebburn.
Miss "Wear Xpress" a lot, as that was by far my favourite brand.

See I really hate the Black Cats as the point of a brand is so it stands out from miles away but at the front it just looks like any other GNE bus as it's the same colour. The gradient on the far side also just ends really abruptly under the drivers window; just doesn't look right. Looks as if the bumper has been replaced at some point and they never bothered to repaint it.

I do like Prince Bishop and Green Arrows though; two of the better brands.

I wish we'd go for an approach like Oxford Buses with different coloured buses depending on the route and just been colour branded it works much better imo. It's kinda started with the 9 and 49 then just ended - https://www.flickr.com/photos/31032203@N05/32287180847 for an example.

It gives the X Lines more meaning aswell as part of it. Could do 3 networks; local - your Indigo / Little Coaster / Venture type routes; city - everything else; with the main routes colour coded; x-lines - same as now.
Unknown B9 repaint
I wouldn't be surprised if it is 6050. 6004 has already lost it's Red Arrow branding (and looks really dull I've got to say without it) and with Washington being due to receive the new Enviro's within months, those B9s are bound to be near top of the priority list to repaint - especially if they are going to be rebranded.

I've said it often, but I would not expect those vehicles going anywhere near a Consett/Stanley run as they'd not last a week on those hills. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on them being the new Crusaders as those Mercs have to go or be reallocated before the CAZ comes in. Even if it's being postponed, it doesn't make sense to hold back on upgrading them when cascades in the correct quantity are imminent. Not to mention the fact that given the reliability **cough** of the Metro. Having deckers allocated permanently makes sense to save frantically searching for changeovers when the Metro inevitably goes Pete Tong.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
(17 Jun 2020, 11:50 pm)6049 wrote I wouldn't be surprised if it is 6050. 6004 has already lost it's Red Arrow branding (and looks really dull I've got to say without it) and with Washington being due to receive the new Enviro's within months, those B9s are bound to be near top of the priority list to repaint - especially if they are going to be rebranded.

I've said it often, but I would not expect those vehicles going anywhere near a Consett/Stanley run as they'd not last a week on those hills. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on them being the new Crusaders as those Mercs have to go or be reallocated before the CAZ comes in. Even if it's being postponed, it doesn't make sense to hold back on upgrading them when cascades in the correct quantity are imminent. Not to mention the fact that given the reliability **cough** of the Metro. Having deckers allocated permanently makes sense to save frantically searching for changeovers when the Metro inevitably goes Pete Tong.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Still seems a bit early to me to start repainting them for the Crusaders when the E400s are still quite a while away
(18 Jun 2020, 8:47 am)streetdeckfan wrote Still seems a bit early to me to start repainting them for the Crusaders when the E400s are still quite a while away

Might as well start now while they can.

If it's 6050, looks like they've gone grey for the Crusader - i do wonder if they'll go for a small refurb to add USB ports and new seats, to be in-line with the current Citaro's on the route.

Wonder where the Citaro's will end up? - they'll be 14 spare (+2 currently being used on the H service, and 1 spare - due to changes)

Edit:

I have a feeling we won't see the CAZ zone for a few years now - due to the current crisis, its impossible to get services ready in time for the end of 2021.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Jun 2020, 8:47 am)streetdeckfan wrote Still seems a bit early to me to start repainting them for the Crusaders when the E400s are still quite a while away
Well there is 14 to repaint, that's 7 weeks for all 14. Plus the B7. The L94 on the M1 were repainted in June 2013 for the waggonway, although new buses didnt arrive until September. Think E400 due end of July/August
(18 Jun 2020, 9:02 am)Michael wrote Might as well start now while they can.

If it's 6050, looks like they've gone grey for the Crusader - i do wonder if they'll go for a small refurb to add USB ports and new seats, to be in-line with the current Citaro's on the route.

Wonder where the Citaro's will end up? - they'll be 14 spare (+2 currently being used on the H service, and 1 spare - due to changes)

Edit:

I have a feeling we won't see the CAZ zone for a few years now - due to the current crisis, its impossible to get services ready in time for the end of 2021.

Withdrawn is the only realistic place for them, there's only the Sunderland routes or the 11, 19 and 42 where they could realistically go as they're the only routes that avoid Newcastle and it's either overkill or a downgrade.
(18 Jun 2020, 9:51 am)Storx wrote Withdrawn is the only realistic place for them, there's only the Sunderland routes or the 11, 19 and 42 where they could realistically go as they're the only routes that avoid Newcastle and it's either overkill or a downgrade.

I mean, they could put Citaros back on The 49, it's always a nice surprise when there's one running. The only thing that I would consider a downgrade from the Streetlites is seat comfort. The seats on the Citaros are beyond awful
Site Administrator

If all goes to plan, the StreetDeck and ADL Enviro400 will both start being delivered by the end of next month.

(18 Jun 2020, 9:02 am)Michael wrote If it's 6050, looks like they've gone grey for the Crusader - i do wonder if they'll go for a small refurb to add USB ports and new seats, to be in-line with the current Citaro's on the route.

The grey pictured is just primer. Nice to see it's fooled a few people though! Wink
(18 Jun 2020, 11:24 am)Dan wrote If all goes to plan, the StreetDeck and ADL Enviro400 will both start being delivered by the end of next month.

The grey pictured is just primer. Nice to see it's fooled a few people though! Wink

So the light green is the main colour? Tongue. The grey does look nice though
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
I don't want to make a thread for every repaint:

From Dan on Twitter:

Lots more good work in progress at our bodyshop, including seat refurbishment as well as repaints on two of our Scania L94s and the final Blaydon Racer branded Citaro.

https://twitter.com/Dan3942/status/1273641176365662210

Wonder why 2 of the Scania's are getting a repaint?, maybe sorted before being sold? or going in to driver training?

------------

Maybe have just 1 thread for repaints?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
I think it is a B5LH that is being repainted, that green colour is the same as the "Green Arrows" wonder if the plan is for the 1A/1B to come under the same brand given they cross over each other at certain points between Newcastle & MetroCentre.

Alternatively I think it could be a first peak at the new livery similar to what the Yetongs will be branded in once they arrive as iirc that was going to be Green.

Could be entirely wrong however!
(18 Jun 2020, 6:48 pm)Malarkey wrote I think it is a B5LH that is being repainted, that green colour is the same as the "Green Arrows" wonder if the plan is for the 1A/1B to come under the same brand given they cross over each other at certain points between Newcastle & MetroCentre.

Alternatively I think it could be a first peak at the new livery similar to what the Yetongs will be branded in once they arrive as iirc that was going to be Green.

Could be entirely wrong however!

Honestly can't see it being a new brand or route livery. The current situation means that operators are still reasonably fluid with allocations in terms of capacity required - and we don't know what demand is going to be like once everything returns to "normal".  

I think it's far more likely to be a special, one-off, livery of some kind - which would also point to it being a B9TL rather than a B5LH, as the B9TL allocation will free up with the imminent arrival of the Red Arrows MMCs.
(18 Jun 2020, 7:52 pm)Rapidsnap wrote Michael, I've request a number of times for a thread dedicated to repaints but it's ignored.

Would you look at that, I've changed the name of the thread so it's now just all repaints! 

Consider this a dedicated thread for repaints
(18 Jun 2020, 7:11 pm)mb134 wrote I think it's far more likely to be a special, one-off, livery of some kind - which would also point to it being a B9TL rather than a B5LH, as the B9TL allocation will free up with the imminent arrival of the Red Arrows MMCs.

Seen on Twitter that its 6050.

Wonder if it will hold a promotional livery until the new E400MMC's arrive for the X1, then strip in to put in Crusader livery - if they end up on the Crusader.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Jun 2020, 11:33 pm)Storx wrote See I really hate the Black Cats as the point of a brand is so it stands out from miles away but at the front it just looks like any other GNE bus as it's the same colour. The gradient on the far side also just ends really abruptly under the drivers window; just doesn't look right. Looks as if the bumper has been replaced at some point and they never bothered to repaint it.

I see where you're coming from about the red at the front. Perhaps if it had that gradient pattern underneath the windscreen, similar to Prince Bishops, it would give it a bit more emphasis. Speaking of the gradient: I've gathered from the "Black Cats" drawing file (which I use to produce my drawings) that the vehicles were painted in a slightly different colour than what they should have been – on the artwork, the base colour of the vehicles is the same pinkish tone as the gradient background, in which case that abrupt end under the driver's window wouldn't be so clear.

As much of a good brand I think it is, "Black Cats" probably won't be around for much longer, given that they've already taken it away from the 33/33A and 238 and obviously the StreetLites have been rumoured to go elsewhere in the near future.
(18 Jun 2020, 9:25 pm)Michael wrote Seen on Twitter that its 6050.

Wonder if it will hold a promotional livery until the new E400MMC's arrive for the X1, then strip in to put in Crusader livery - if they end up on the Crusader.
Doubt it, unnecessary cost at the moment
(18 Jun 2020, 10:08 pm)JP6004 wrote Doubt it, unnecessary cost at the moment

Well its pointless putting it in to a promo livery then for it to be taken off after a few months, might as well just put straight in to fleet livery or base colours for a brand because they'll probables need repainting after the promotional livery is took off, as the bus is normally patchy.

Still think its a base colour for a brand, as the seats have been ripped out too although maybe not Crusader as it looks like they'll not go grey/silver.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Jun 2020, 10:27 pm)Michael wrote Well its pointless putting it in to a promo livery then for it to be taken off after a few months, might as well just put straight in to fleet livery or base colours for a brand because they'l probables need repainting after the promotional livery is took off, as the bus is normally patchy.

Still think its a base colour for a brand, as the seats have been ripped out too although maybe not Crusader as it looks like they'll not go grey/silver.
The seats that were being replaced in Dan's post, looked to be that of an omnidekker. Notice the HUGE disabled bay on right of the photo
(18 Jun 2020, 10:32 pm)JP6004 wrote The seats that were being replaced in Dan's post, looked to be that of an omnidekker. Notice the HUGE disabled bay on right of the photo

Ah right my bad.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Jun 2020, 3:55 pm)Michael wrote I don't want to make a thread for every repaint:

From Dan on Twitter:

Lots more good work in progress at our bodyshop, including seat refurbishment as well as repaints on two of our Scania L94s and the final Blaydon Racer branded Citaro.

https://twitter.com/Dan3942/status/1273641176365662210

Wonder why 2 of the Scania's are getting a repaint?, maybe sorted before being sold? or going in to driver training?

Dan confirmed that the 2 Scania's are getting repainted before they're sold on.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
RE: Recent Repaints
Today's fleet update on the GNE site, suggest the B9 in for repaint is a "Red Arrow" one:

21 June 2020

Vehicle movements last week included the reinstatement of Volvo B7TL/East Lancs Myllennium Vyking 3971 (PJ02 PYX) at Washington, in a float/reserve capacity. Ahead of the delivery of the new double-deck buses for service X1, the existing allocation of “Red Arrows” branded Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 vehicles are beginning to undergo repaint. 3971 (PJ02 PYX) will provide cover at Washington until the start of the school holidays while these repaints are ongoing.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(22 Jun 2020, 10:42 am)Michael wrote Today's fleet update on the GNE site, suggest the B9 in for repaint is a "Red Arrow" one:

21 June 2020

Vehicle movements last week included the reinstatement of Volvo B7TL/East Lancs Myllennium Vyking 3971 (PJ02 PYX) at Washington, in a float/reserve capacity. Ahead of the delivery of the new double-deck buses for service X1, the existing allocation of “Red Arrows” branded Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 vehicles are beginning to undergo repaint. 3971 (PJ02 PYX) will provide cover at Washington until the start of the school holidays while these repaints are ongoing.

So that basically confirms it's 6050.
I'm still puzzled as to what the green livery could be for.
(22 Jun 2020, 11:53 am)streetdeckfan wrote So that basically confirms it's 6050.
I'm still puzzled as to what the green livery could be for.
I think DFDS is a decent shout

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(22 Jun 2020, 12:14 pm)tyresmoke wrote I think DFDS is a decent shout

Well, they're certainly in need of an upgrade! Using one of those to travel to the port would certainly put me off using GNE services
(22 Jun 2020, 12:20 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Well, they're certainly in need of an upgrade! Using one of those to travel to the port would certainly put me off using GNE services

A bit of an exaggeration no? It's just an old B9. Certainly better than the current Omnidekkas.