You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(01 Jan 2014, 6:02 pm)Dan wrote The quote below from Rob..

..could just relate to the main branding rather than the branding at the top of the vehicle for the destinations. I'd imagine it would be quite easy to replace one set of destinations on the side of a bus.

I meant that they won't be changing the full branding, sorry should of being more clear, they may just change the route branding.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(01 Jan 2014, 6:08 pm)Michael wrote I meant that they won't be changing the full branding, sorry should of being more clear, they may just change the route branding.

Possibly the branding may differ on each side similar to the "taglines" on the Venture Solos? Cool

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(01 Jan 2014, 12:51 pm)Dan wrote No. It has been suggested for a few weeks now that it won't. The unknown details should have been where the vehicles were going instead of the "Pronto".

So has it been confirmed the the cobalt Mercs are going on the X7, and not Pronto!!!! If so by who, and what is going on the Pronto
Site Administrator
(01 Jan 2014, 6:21 pm)pdiddy wrote So has it been confirmed the the cobalt Mercs are going on the X7, and not Pronto!!!! If so by who, and what is going on the Pronto

Yes - it has been strongly suggested by Rob, a member of management who often shares information on this forum for us enthusiasts.

Nothing will cascade down to "Pronto" service X21 just yet. Issues would arise from single deck allocation, and there are no spare suitable double deckers within the fleet at present.

It is for the above reason why a continuous investment of all vehicle types is quite handy... You're not left with services which can justify an upgrade without vehicles available to cascade.
Shame the Branding won't be Changing as I think it's a good time to change it with the Introduction of the X36 to the Brand, As long as GNE change the Destination Branding on one side then that would be ok.
(01 Jan 2014, 1:23 pm)Dan wrote I would be very surprised.
In 2015, I think the service will receive cascades from the "Red Arrows". This would allow the "Red Arrows" to receive direct investment once more, no doubt with the usual benefits of travelling (power sockets, Wi-Fi, Next Stop Announcements etc).
By this time, the B9s on the "Red Arrows" would have pulled quite a bit of the cost back to purchase them, allowing for the rational decision to cascade them.

The only immediacy for an upgrade to the "Pronto" was to allow Olympian withdrawal, which should be achieved next year without the aid of "Pronto" cascades.

The immediacy for an upgrade to the PRONTO is because the buses are terrible.. constantly breaking down , no saloon heat and too slow. The buses ARE NOT suitable for this service X21
Site Administrator
(01 Jan 2014, 6:28 pm)pdiddy wrote The immediacy for an upgrade to the PRONTO is because the buses are terrible.. constantly breaking down , no saloon heat and too slow. The buses ARE NOT suitable for this service X21

While I admit the vehicles currently allocated to the "Pronto" are subject to breakdowns and are filled with other problems too, the vehicles on the "Wear Tees Xpress" are worse. I can guarantee that more money has gone on towing 4907 back to Deptford depot since the service's establishment than all of the "Pronto" vehicles altogether! Tongue

The reason why ex-London vehicles are unlikely to come to the fleet in future is simply down to the fact it's a totally different lifestyle for the vehicles up here, than it is down there.

They are suitable in the sense that they meet loading requirements. Leaving passengers behind wouldn't be great at all, would it?
(01 Jan 2014, 6:21 pm)pdiddy wrote So has it been confirmed the the cobalt Mercs are going on the X7, and not Pronto!!!! If so by who, and what is going on the Pronto

Nothing has been confirmed - just hinted at.

The Presidents on the x21 have seen better days, but capacity wise are suitable.
Not sure the Citaro's are big enough, despite them being better vehicles.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(01 Jan 2014, 6:31 pm)Dan wrote While I admit the vehicles currently allocated to the "Pronto" are subject to breakdowns and are filled with other problems too, the vehicles on the "Wear Tees Xpress" are worse. I can guarantee that more money has gone on towing 4907 back to Deptford depot since the service's establishment than all of the "Pronto" vehicles altogether! Tongue

The reason why ex-London vehicles are unlikely to come to the fleet in future is simply down to the fact it's a totally different lifestyle for the vehicles up here, than it is down there.

They are suitable in the sense that they meet loading requirements. Leaving passengers behind wouldn't be great at all, would it?

I have to agree with you Dan the "Wear Tees Xpress" buses are rubbish, Glad they getting upgraded, hopefully this means more passengers and longer runs (after 6pm).
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(01 Jan 2014, 6:32 pm)andreos1 wrote Nothing has been confirmed - just hinted at.

The Presidents on the x21 have seen better days, but capacity wise are suitable.
Not sure the Citaro's are big enough, despite them being better vehicles.

I think they learnt that lesson on the Angel...
I agree that the X21 requires newer stock if it is to succeed though, sooner rather than later.

(01 Jan 2014, 6:24 pm)Dan wrote Yes - it has been strongly suggested by Rob, a member of management who often shares information on this forum for us enthusiasts.

Nothing will cascade down to "Pronto" service X21 just yet. Issues would arise from single deck allocation, and there are no spare suitable double deckers within the fleet at present.

It is for the above reason why a continuous investment of all vehicle types is quite handy... You're not left with services which can justify an upgrade without vehicles available to cascade.

Who is Rob, where on here did he confirm mercs are going on X7. where does he work within GNE! The Pronto vehicles desperatly need replacing its doubtfull they would last another 6 month charging up and down the A1 and need replacing now!
Site Administrator
(01 Jan 2014, 6:33 pm)Michael wrote I have to agree with you Dan the "Wear Tees Xpress" buses are rubbish, Glad they getting upgraded, hopefully this means more passengers and longer runs (after 6pm).

One step at a time. Wink

The Citaro vehicles will no doubt be a trial for 6-9 months. If it's successful, further runs will be trialled for another 6 months or so.
(01 Jan 2014, 6:36 pm)pdiddy wrote Who is Rob, where on here did he confirm mercs are going on X7. where does he work within GNE! The Pronto vehicles desperatly need replacing its doubtfull they would last another 6 month charging up and down the A1 and need replacing now!

So do most of the other buses in the fleet...
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(01 Jan 2014, 7:46 am)Dan wrote I believe timetable changes may reveal where one bus will end up, at the end of this week.

The Blaydon Racers will require 1 additional vehicle from February.
(01 Jan 2014, 6:31 pm)Dan wrote While I admit the vehicles currently allocated to the "Pronto" are subject to breakdowns and are filled with other problems too, the vehicles on the "Wear Tees Xpress" are worse. I can guarantee that more money has gone on towing 4907 back to Deptford depot since the service's establishment than all of the "Pronto" vehicles altogether! Tongue

I wouldnt bet on that, 6041 has broken down about 20 times since november (im not joking) and a couple of the others aint no better. The X7 doesnt carry enuf pax to justify the Mercs where the Pronto does, as for capacity the only issues would be am and pm peak time with students, and there is a dupe on for that reason!
(01 Jan 2014, 6:36 pm)Dan wrote One step at a time. Wink

The Citaro vehicles will no doubt be a trial for 6-9 months. If it's successful, further runs will be trialled for another 6 months or so.

Let's not forget they "pruned" it recently... with the first and last trip from Middlesbrough starting/finishing at Station Town. Hardly the sign of a successful service.
Maybe the introduction of the Citaro's will give it a USP and increase the fortunes...
Now the question is, will they be given a "refurbishment" to offer the same standard as the other service in the same brand?

Site Administrator
(01 Jan 2014, 6:43 pm)tyresmoke wrote Let's not forget they "pruned" it recently... with the first and last trip from Middlesbrough starting/finishing at Station Town. Hardly the sign of a successful service.
Maybe the introduction of the Citaro's will give it a USP and increase the fortunes...
Now the question is, will they be given a "refurbishment" to offer the same standard as the other service in the same brand?

But is the sign of money from the service being used elsewhere... Ian Bradley must be an expensive bloke over time!

The Citaro vehicles are in pretty good shape at the moment. Maybe if the service is successful with these vehicles, they can later justify the expense of refurbishment too. For now, they're no where near their mid-life point, and have a few years left in them before refurbishment would have usually been given.
(01 Jan 2014, 6:34 pm)tyresmoke wrote I think they learnt that lesson on the Angel...
I agree that the X21 requires newer stock if it is to succeed though, sooner rather than later.

It seems strange the 21 is viewed as a primary service, whilst the x21 is seemingly its neglected cousin.

Aye, the 21 will take a higher revenue, but the x21 does its job well and carries decent loads.
Without the x21, the 21 would not cope...

Time to invest and replace the Presidents - if there isn't anything to cascade on to it, then a purchase needs to be made.
Before it is too late.

The b7 Vykings couldn't cope with the runs and I fail to understand the logic in expecting older b7 Presidents to do the job either.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(01 Jan 2014, 5:20 pm)tyresmoke wrote All of Trent Barton's brands include the same "wave" logo (or in the case of the newer brands the coloured circles) - not to mention everything uses the same font across all customer facing platforms, be it on the buses themselves, brand names, timetables, website, everything.
[Image: new+trent+barton+logo.jpg]

Does their Red Arrow have the markings on as you describe, as all the ones I have seen do not?
(01 Jan 2014, 6:46 pm)andreos1 wrote It seems strange the 21 is viewed as a primary service, whilst the x21 is seemingly its neglected cousin.

Aye, the 21 will take a higher revenue, but the x21 does its job well and carries decent loads.

Time to invest and replace the Presidents - if there isn't anything to cascade on to it, then a purchase needs to be made.
Before it is too late.

The b7 Vykings couldn't cope with the runs and I fail to understand the logic in expecting older b7 Presidents to do the job either.

The Vykings can't cope on the smallest of routes never mind the X21.

I would think it would get cascaded newish buses but by comments on the 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions thread - the X21 isn't up for new buses... things can change, you never know!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(01 Jan 2014, 6:50 pm)citaro5284 wrote Does their Red Arrow have the markings on as you describe, as all the ones I have seen do not?

That is the one that stands out amongst the rest admittedly.
Probably a good idea to point out that coaches (and frequency) are a good idea for long distance commuter services Tongue

(01 Jan 2014, 6:46 pm)andreos1 wrote It seems strange the 21 is viewed as a primary service, whilst the x21 is seemingly its neglected cousin.

Before it is too late.

Totally agree the PRONTO deckers need replacing now, as they wont last till the summer. Its needs newer buses now, and as a primary express service should get them! Be in newer B9s or Mercs
(01 Jan 2014, 6:56 pm)tyresmoke wrote Probably a good idea to point out that coaches (and frequency) are a good idea for long distance commuter services Tongue

Providing they can cope with the loadings Tongue The long distance runs to Chesterfield only run half hourly don't they.....GNE could not run coaches on the Tyne Tees Xpress due to the passenger loadings.
(01 Jan 2014, 7:12 pm)citaro5284 wrote Providing they can cope with the loadings Tongue The long distance runs to Chesterfield only run half hourly don't they.....GNE could not run coaches on the Tyne Tees Xpress due to the passenger loadings.

Yeah they run it every 10 mins between Nottingham and Derby, and every 30 mins beyond there to Chesterfield.
Of course the issue is getting DDA spec coaches, but surely something like the Van Hool Astromega's would be a decent upgrade without losing too much capacity?
Or single deck coaches and boost the frequency to a 15 minute service (30 mins on each) ? I suspect the costs would prohibit that though?

Before it is too late.

None of the Cobalt Mercs have been painted yet have they! Nor have any of the new silver B9s been branded???

What if the Mercs stayed on the clipper and 7 of the new B9s get transfered to the pronto
(01 Jan 2014, 7:19 pm)pdiddy wrote None of the Cobalt Mercs have been painted yet have they! Nor have any of the new silver B9s been branded???

What if the Mercs stayed on the clipper and 7 of the new B9s get transfered to the pronto

No way.
(01 Jan 2014, 7:18 pm)Rob wrote If B7s aren't suitable and Citaro aren't suitable, what is?

For what run!!!! If for Pronto it should be B9s.... but Citaros would be suitable, the B7s currently on are not
(01 Jan 2014, 7:19 pm)pdiddy wrote None of the Cobalt Mercs have been painted yet have they! Nor have any of the new silver B9s been branded???

Or the 4 red B9's and 3 Citaro's (why does X7 justify 4 branded buses yet every other brand gets its PVR branded only?)

(01 Jan 2014, 7:23 pm)pdiddy wrote For what run!!!! If for Pronto it should be B9s.... but Citaros would be suitable, the B7s currently on are not

Yes, the Pronto. Reducing the capacity of each vehicle by 24 passengers, is likely to result in passengers being missed.