You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Fleet Refurbishment
(01 Dec 2020, 6:09 pm)Michael wrote From the GNE site:

Following the completion of the repaints on the “Saltwell Park” branded Wright Streetlites, Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Max Micro-Hybrid 5415 (NK15 EOF) has transferred from Riverside to Deptford. Similar 5416 (NK15 EOG) and 5417 (NK15 EOH) have both been formally allocated to Riverside (previously float/reserve), displacing Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 6048 (NK12 GCZ) and 6084 (NL63 XBS) to Deptford. These three buses, as well as Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3943 (NK05 GZR) which transferred to Deptford last week, will provide cover whilst Deptford’s “Fab Fifty Six” branded Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2s undergo repaint and refurbishment. The examples taken out of service thus far include 6087 (NL63 YHP), 6088 (NL63 YHR), 6089 (NL63 YHS) and 6090 (NL63 YHT).

Wonder if this confirms, they'll stay on the 56.
But wasn't the Fab 56 (or a new brand) earmarked for just a repaint and not a full refurb like the Cobalts?

Perhaps they're are getting a refurb but as things stand with no changes earmarked for the Fab 56, they'd only need 6085-6095 as part of the PVR with 6084 as spare.

That then leaves 6096-98 free as well as 6099 given that the Cobalt PVR is 16x (TBC! -  leaving 6100 & 1x branded as spare). The Coaster also has 2x spare Volvo B5LH now that the PVR is 13x.

No more StreetDecks are supposedly moving from Chester Le Street. Therefore, if the frequency of the X45/X46/X47 remains the same, then B9TLs for Consett either on those routes or the X31 will no doubt be on the cards unless some extra StreetDecks from "somewhere" are on the cards.

(01 Dec 2020, 6:25 pm)Storx wrote You do realise the Euro 6 mods paid by the council aren't just a free giveaway for GNE to spend whatever they want on right? The buses will have been agreed in advance on what route they're running on so you can't just move buses around for the sake it.

6100 - 6117 are on the 309/10/11 for the forseeable future and I'm guessing 5385 - 5388 on the Q3 as they're the buses done from the NT pot see https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/sites/de...port_0.pdf.

There's similar ones for Arriva and Stagecoach aswell believe they're the 51, 306, 308 and 38 off the top of my head. Similar contracts will have been done for the B9TL's at Riverside, Deptford and Hexham some of which will be agreed for the 10, 27 and 56. They can't just be sent off to Consett now otherwise they'll be breaking the back to back contract which is mentioned in there.
But what does the contract specifically state? Surely there will be scope in the event that an operator has to decrease the PVR (already have done from 17x to 16x).

And I'm sure that if GNE replaced them in the future (with newer vehicles) but still within the contract, then that shouldn't be a problem as GNE will still be meeting their obligation of running Euro 6 vehicles.

@Dan, do you know what the legal stance is for the Fab 56 and Cobalt B9s in terms of PVR reductions and surplus vehicles?
(01 Dec 2020, 6:58 pm)L469 YVK wrote But wasn't the Fab 56 (or a new brand) earmarked for just a repaint and not a full refurb like the Cobalts?

Perhaps they're are getting a refurb but as things stand with no changes earmarked for the Fab 56, they'd only need 6085-6095 as part of the PVR with 6084 as spare.

That then leaves 6096-98

Perhaps.... the 56 might increase again in the future so they'll stay on the 56?.. we don't know what the plans are for January and after.

Maybe GNE changed their minds and decided to give the 56 a refurb too.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(01 Dec 2020, 6:58 pm)L469 YVK wrote But what does the contract specifically state? Surely there will be scope in the event that an operator has to decrease the PVR (already have done from 17x to 16x).

And I'm sure that if GNE replaced them in the future (with newer vehicles) but still within the contract, then that shouldn't be a problem as GNE will still be meeting their obligation of running Euro 6 vehicles.

@Dan, do you know what the legal stance is for the Fab 56 and Cobalt B9s in terms of PVR reductions and surplus vehicles?

Not too sure on the details but I know Gateshead were very strict last time round hence the Scania's being on the the Loop well past when they should've been. Doubt you'll get the details though as it'll be all confidential.

Can't imagine NT being too happy though if the buses are being sent to County Durham though.

Looking through what's been done it seems to be the 5, 10/10A/10B, 26, 27, 28/28A, 29, 50, 56, 309/10/11 and Q3 plus the ex Toonlink/X5/X15 deckers (unknown) which have had the mods for GNE though. Where the Toonlink deckers are going who knows yet.

There's obviously some leaness though since the 308 deckers are on everything but the 308 but it seems like everything at Blyth has been done so not much where the funding has come from there. Newcastle CC's maybe?
(01 Dec 2020, 7:18 pm)Storx wrote Not too sure on the details but I know Gateshead were very strict last time round hence the Scania's being on the the Loop well past when they should've been. Doubt you'll get the details though as it'll be all confidential.

Can't imagine NT being too happy though if the buses are being sent to County Durham though.

Looking through what's been done it seems to be the 5, 10/10A/10B, 26, 27, 28/28A, 29, 50, 56, 309/10/11 and Q3 plus the ex Toonlink/X5/X15 deckers (unknown) which have had the mods for GNE though. Where the Toonlink deckers are going who knows yet.

There's obviously some leaness though since the 308 deckers are on everything but the 308 but it seems like everything at Blyth has been done so not much where the funding has come from there. Newcastle CC's maybe?

I can't remember if I shared some of the sla's relating to some previous eminox upgrades.
At the time, it was news to most on here that such terms existed and buses had specific areas/depots/routes which needed covering due to the funding. Sharing stuff like that at the time, allowed me to back up some of the 'wild claims' I was making. 
Not sure if the search function is working yet, but you could have a look around if you are keen. 

Each sla tends to have the same sort of terms within it, but there may be some variations. 
Either way, if a LA is funding mods designed to benefit emission and pollution targets set by someone in power elsewhere - they're unlikely to want to see someone else benefit from the funding.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(01 Dec 2020, 8:24 pm)Andreos1 wrote I can't remember if I shared some of the sla's relating to some previous eminox upgrades.
At the time, it was news to most on here that such terms existed and buses had specific areas/depots/routes which needed covering due to the funding. Sharing stuff like that at the time, allowed me to back up some of the 'wild claims' I was making. 
Not sure if the search function is working yet, but you could have a look around if you are keen. 

Each sla tends to have the same sort of terms within it, but there may be some variations. 
Either way, if a LA is funding mods designed to benefit emission and pollution targets set by someone in power elsewhere - they're unlikely to want to see someone else benefit from the funding.

Just had a look through to see if I could find them but couldn't seem to find anything, just one link which has sadly died.
(01 Dec 2020, 8:58 pm)Storx wrote Just had a look through to see if I could find them but couldn't seem to find anything, just one link which has sadly died.

It was possibly in relation to the purple solar's used on the 20.
They endured on that route for far longer than they should have done.
Hammered day in/day out and well past their best when they got the upgrade.
I seem to remember a number of them going missing, with gaps in service and spares frequently appearing for a period. In fact #missingpurplesolar or #purplesolar may help you in your search. 

Despite all of the positive PR at the time about air quality, the on-board environment was far from pleasant or comfortable.
A bizarre period, which I hope isn't repeated.
(01 Dec 2020, 6:58 pm)L469 YVK wrote But wasn't the Fab 56 (or a new brand) earmarked for just a repaint and not a full refurb like the Cobalts?

That then leaves 6096-98 free as well as 6099 given that the Cobalt PVR is 16x (TBC! -  leaving 6100 & 1x branded as spare). The Coaster also has 2x spare Volvo B5LH now that the PVR is 13x.

No more StreetDecks are supposedly moving from Chester Le Street. Therefore, if the frequency of the X45/X46/X47 remains the same, then B9TLs for Consett either on those routes or the X31 will no doubt be on the cards unless some extra StreetDecks from "somewhere" are on the cards.

But what does the contract specifically state? Surely there will be scope in the event that an operator has to decrease the PVR (already have done from 17x to 16x).

Btw done some digging before forgot to post. Here Gateshead's the same as before confirming that the 56 was one of the routes. Interesting to note the 67, Q1 etc as don't think they've been done yet. 

http://democracy.gateshead.gov.uk/docume...%20ckd.pdf

(01 Dec 2020, 9:10 pm)Andreos1 wrote It was possibly in relation to the purple solar's used on the 20.
They endured on that route for far longer than they should have done.
Hammered day in/day out and well past their best when they got the upgrade.
I seem to remember a number of them going missing, with gaps in service and spares frequently appearing for a period. In fact #missingpurplesolar or #purplesolar may help you in your search. 

Despite all of the positive PR at the time about air quality, the on-board environment was far from pleasant or comfortable.
A bizarre period, which I hope isn't repeated.

I'll definitely have a look. Hopefully S. Tyneside aren't too harsh as those Omnicities in 5 years could be a burden.
(02 Dec 2020, 12:53 am)Storx wrote Btw done some digging before forgot to post. Here Gateshead's the same as before confirming that the 56 was one of the routes. Interesting to note the 67, Q1 etc as don't think they've been done yet. 

I'll definitely have a look. Hopefully S. Tyneside aren't too harsh as those Omnicities in 5 years could be a burden.

I think South Tyneside rule is can be replaced but only by other vechiles that are euro 6
(02 Dec 2020, 12:53 am)Storx wrote Btw done some digging before forgot to post. Here Gateshead's the same as before confirming that the 56 was one of the routes. Interesting to note the 67, Q1 etc as don't think they've been done yet. 

Whilst I haven't ridden the Omnicities as often as I did the purple Solars, they have always seemed a nicer ride. 
They certainly seem more hard wearing bodywork wise. No idea about the mechanics and how much they differ from the Solars. 

It will be interesting to see how they fare over the next few years if they are made to stay on the roads. 
Whilst the 5 may not be too hard work, the 50 might be too much. I wonder if they end up splitting the interworking arrangements, with the 50 seeing something a bit more modern.
(02 Dec 2020, 11:24 am)Andreos1 wrote Whilst I haven't ridden the Omnicities as often as I did the purple Solars, they have always seemed a nicer ride. 
They certainly seem more hard wearing bodywork wise. No idea about the mechanics and how much they differ from the Solars. 

It will be interesting to see how they fare over the next few years if they are made to stay on the roads. 
Whilst the 5 may not be too hard work, the 50 might be too much. I wonder if they end up splitting the interworking arrangements, with the 50 seeing something a bit more modern.

If they fixed the rattling interior panels (instead of just wedging ticket paper in!) and gave them a bit of a refresh, I'd have no issue travelling on an Omnicity everyday.
(02 Dec 2020, 11:24 am)Andreos1 wrote Whilst I haven't ridden the Omnicities as often as I did the purple Solars, they have always seemed a nicer ride. 

They're not bad from a passenger point of view bar the rattles but it's kinda expected with a Scania and the fact it's boiling hot if you sit near engine at the back. I know they've been having problem getting parts for them lately though hence a few of them got bought from down South for parts awhile back and I believe one of them have been withdrawn and the sames happening now. Suppose they have a few of the Euro 4 ones they could get parts to last the 5 year though if needed.
(14 Dec 2020, 1:31 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Has there been any further mention of the ex-London B9s having NSAs fitted?
Think SWB streetlites getting them first, depends if they have decided what to do with them yet...apart from 93/94
(14 Dec 2020, 10:10 am)ne14ne1 wrote QuayCity Q3 launches today with refreshed Versas

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/better-bus...newcastles

I am pleased these have gained the red seats, although I shall miss the blue moquette seats.  I wonder whether these refurbs are being phased or whether these have been done in 1 block prior to re-entering service.
(19 Dec 2020, 9:19 pm)Metroline1511 wrote I am pleased these have gained the red seats, although I shall miss the blue moquette seats.  I wonder whether these refurbs are being phased or whether these have been done in 1 block prior to re-entering service.

The issue is the red seats and the blue vinyl/walls really don't go well together!
Site Administrator
Fleet Refurbishment
(19 Dec 2020, 9:19 pm)Metroline1511 wrote I am pleased these have gained the red seats, although I shall miss the blue moquette seats.  I wonder whether these refurbs are being phased or whether these have been done in 1 block prior to re-entering service.

5380 - 5388 were all taken out of service for repaint and seat re-trim, and as a batch returned to service together on Monday gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(20 Dec 2020, 8:08 am)Dan wrote 5380 - 5388 were all taken out of service for repaint and seat re-trim, and as a batch returned to service together on Monday gone.

This is good as it makes it easy to track one down quickly to ride it.

As it will be another few months before I come to the area, I am hoping all the Volvo B9TLS on Crusader services are refurbished by then.
(20 Dec 2020, 11:36 am)Metroline1511 wrote This is good as it makes it easy to track one down quickly to ride it.

As it will be another few months before I come to the area, I am hoping all the Volvo B9TLS on Crusader services are refurbished by then.

Only 6049 left according to the latest GNE fleet update - all the rest are now in service on the Crusader

The first of FAB 56 B9's (Sunderland to Newcastle) (6087 - 6098) are currently getting refurbished - with 6087-92 and 6098 all took out of service so far.

Fleet allocation: https://images-gonortheast.passenger-web...202020.pdf

Fleet archive: https://images-gonortheast.passenger-web...202020.pdf

-----------------

Deptford have a nice collection of Streetlites - with 61 of them now
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(20 Dec 2020, 11:42 am)Michael wrote Only 6049 left according to the latest GNE fleet update - all the rest are now in service on the Crusader

The first of FAB 56 B9's (Sunderland to Newcastle) (6087 - 6098) are currently getting refurbished - with 6087-92 and 6098 all took out of service so far.

-----------------

Still 6050 for retrim
(20 Dec 2020, 11:42 am)Michael wrote Only 6049 left according to the latest GNE fleet update - all the rest are now in service on the Crusader

-----------------

Why haven't 6084-86 been taken out of service yet for a refurb? Will they be done last?

-----------------

Great news, and thank you for letting me know so soon. 

So, we know that some Versas and Volvo B9TLs are now refurbished.  If, as seems likely, all new bus deliveries and planned refurbs are complete shortly I may come to the Newcastle area in Spring rather than Summer or early Autumn.
(20 Dec 2020, 8:08 am)Dan wrote 5380 - 5388 were all taken out of service for repaint and seat re-trim, and as a batch returned to service together on Monday gone.

Is their any plans for 5377 to 5379 and 5389/90 to be repainted and retrimmed?
(30 Dec 2020, 6:25 pm)Michael wrote 6049 has returned from refurbishment and repaint - repainted in to 2019 fleet livery and is currently allocated to Deptford:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27204054@N...7626300081 - photo by Peter Barclay

Interesting that only 11 buses have been put into the new Crusader livery - if I'm not mistaken the PVR of the 26/7 combined is 14. Worth noting, again if my calculations are correct, that's a PVR of 11 for the 27 and 3 for the 26 were they standalone. Perhaps an indication that the 26 may not necessarily stay Crusader in the future.
(30 Dec 2020, 6:25 pm)Michael wrote 6049 has returned from refurbishment and repaint - repainted in to 2019 fleet livery and is currently allocated to Deptford:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27204054@N...7626300081 - photo by Peter Barclay

I got on 6054 this afternoon on the 27 and I am not a fan of the Red Seats with the base interior still being Blue mind, I think the should've went with the Navy Blue Moqette they used on the Voltra's, same goes for the QuayCity Versas.

Could've painted over the blue with Grey Paint as they did with the Cobalt & Coast examples.
(30 Dec 2020, 6:48 pm)peter wrote Interesting that only 11 buses have been put into the new Crusader livery - if I'm not mistaken the PVR of the 26/7 combined is 14. Worth noting, again if my calculations are correct, that's a PVR of 11 for the 27 and 3 for the 26 were they standalone. Perhaps an indication that the 26 may not necessarily stay Crusader in the future.

Could be, seems odd of them to do 3 short, yet still refurbishing them... are they heading to Consett to make up the X-Lines PVR for the time-being?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.