You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

East Gateshead service re-brands | Services 51/52, 58 & 93/94

East Gateshead service re-brands | Services 51/52, 58 & 93/94

RE: Go North East - Recent Repaints
(03 Jun 2021, 10:48 pm)Rapidsnap wrote It's unfeasable to brand every route.

the spirit of Peter Huntley is sitting in his heavenly chair right now saying….Ohhh reaaallly?
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(03 Jun 2021, 10:36 pm)Rapidsnap wrote To be honest, I would class Western Gateshead as areas like Blaydon, Winlaton, Whickham, Ryton, Rowlands Gill etc, basically West of the A1 between Team Valley and where it crosses the Tyne, whilst Eastern Gateshead I felt was areas East of Old Durham Road, the areas like Team Valley, Low Fell, Gateshead I felt were central Gateshead whilst South of the A1 at the Angel, basically Birtley and Barley Mow was Southern Gateshead, I believe they don't seem themselves as part of Gateshead and more County Durham due to the area having a DH postcode.

Yeah that's fair like, see personally I wouldn't class any of them as Gateshead at all but I guess it depends whether we're talking about the council area or the town.

To me Gateshead ends at the A1 on the West side including the little part of Dunston Hill and Lobley Hill with all of the East side being Gateshead with it being split down Durham Road / Sheriff Hill.

Anything West of Durham Road / Prince Concert Road being West Gateshead, anything East of Sheriff Hill / the Flyover being East Gateshead, the small bit in the middle being central.

Who knows, anyone on here from Whickham and the likes do you class yourself as being Gateshead or Whickham?

(03 Jun 2021, 10:38 pm)Micheal Aaron wrote Yea. Granted it would be better if East part out. It would be better.

I won't say there crap. At least they got branding unlike some routes which will probably never get branding 

To name a few 
12/12A, 6/6A, 50/50A, 49/49A, 35,35A, 69, 9, 33/33A(Newcastle) 25, 28/28A, 34, M6/M7/M8, X22, X6, 5, 30/1/2, 33(Sunderland) 38,38A, 55
And all the others routes that are stuck with other branded buses on or 2016/2019 corp version 

Tbh it's nice to see new branding and names coming up for GNE. My personal favourite is QuayCity. Mainly its unique from the rest 

Why is it unique. Because its not like the other brands. The brands have a main colour at the back. Following by the Yellow and White stripes then the bigger main colour at the rest of the bus. 

QuayCity manged to survive this type of branding. Its one of my favourite cause its the best one. If GNE had have followed the same way and had the same way most branding had. Then it wouldn't be my favourite

See personally I'd rather they kept corporate for some routes and then only have the principal routes branded. Branding shouldn't change name wise though imo. Trent Barton nail branding in my eyes and it's worked that well that they've ditched the route number for numerous services alltogether and every bus is a different colour so you can see ooo the green bus that's mine. It doesn't work here (bar the Angel) and everyone just calls them by them numbers because they change them every week so what's the point. Cobalt Clipper was one of the worst for that as there's loads on the Coast who used to refer to it as that so they change the branding now it's just the 309 and Cobalt and Coast is a mouthful and doesn't flow. It's the same with Citylink vs East Gateshead Rider. One flows the other is a mouthful.

https://www.trentbarton.co.uk/network-map - Trent Barton's network for reference; think you'll like their branding aswell better.
(03 Jun 2021, 11:49 pm)Storx wrote Yeah that's fair like, see personally I wouldn't class any of them as Gateshead at all but I guess it depends whether we're talking about the council area or the town.

To me Gateshead ends at the A1 on the West side including the little part of Dunston Hill and Lobley Hill with all of the East side being Gateshead with it being split down Durham Road / Sheriff Hill.

Anything West of Durham Road / Prince Concert Road being West Gateshead, anything East of Sheriff Hill / the Flyover being East Gateshead, the small bit in the middle being central.

Who knows, anyone on here from Whickham and the likes do you class yourself as being Gateshead or Whickham?

See personally I'd rather they kept corporate for some routes and then only have the principal routes branded. Branding shouldn't change name wise though imo. Trent Barton nail branding in my eyes and it's worked that well that they've ditched the route number for numerous services alltogether and every bus is a different colour so you can see ooo the green bus that's mine. It doesn't work here (bar the Angel) and everyone just calls them by them numbers because they change them every week so what's the point. Cobalt Clipper was one of the worst for that as there's loads on the Coast who used to refer to it as that so they change the branding now it's just the 309 and Cobalt and Coast is a mouthful and doesn't flow. It's the same with Citylink vs East Gateshead Rider. One flows the other is a mouthful.

https://www.trentbarton.co.uk/network-map - Trent Barton's network for reference; think you'll like their branding aswell better.

I personally refer to branding rather than numbers for a number of routes (Cobalt Clipper/Cobalt and Coast, the Coaster bus, the Angel, Voltra, Quaycity/Quaylink) but locally refer to services by number or location (the 42A, the 74, the Denton Burn bus (X84/X85, sometimes use the number) and the 33/33A) but for example we have a 12 in Fenham, so I say "Go North East 12" whereas I just say 25, 56 etc if Stagecoach don't have a bus with the same number. Branding is an interesting one.
(03 Jun 2021, 8:55 pm)Micheal Aaron wrote Tbh some of the branding that's was previously before coming X Lines made little to no sense

Red Arrows X1 (Don't know what that was meant to symbolise)

Red Kite X45/6/7 (Showing the buses passed the area where Red kites have been spotted and the Red Kite trail) possible but could be wrong

ToonLink X70/71 (A link to the toon I'm guessing from Stanley and Consett)

Tynedale Express X84/85 (Simpl a Tynedale Express from Hexham to Newcastle)

Can't say much on the X9/X10 as there's was simpl before becoming X Lines

Castle Express X21(Didn't see the point in this part unless there was a reason)

X Lines is one of GNE better branding. Giving them a new look to show there the quicker links to other buses.

Especially with the X21 & 21. Quicker links to Durham between the two

Red Arrows: referred to the jets, perhaps, which are fast... hence express?

The Red Kite: self-explanatory. Nothing to do with the express idea but the services aren't express anyway and should never have been re-registered as X routes.

Tynedale Express: probably the only one that didn't make sense, so I'll give you that. It was bright and stood out nonetheless.

ToonLink: associated with the black and white colour scheme of the NUFC strips and insignia. None of the initial ToonLink services were express when the brand was launched.

X9/X10: speed of light livery, hence the bright, abstract design.

The Castles Express: the castles along the X21.

How you can say they made no sense, ironically, makes no sense.
(04 Jun 2021, 1:50 am)BeachBoy99 wrote Red Arrows: referred to the jets, perhaps, which are fast... hence express?

Tynedale Express: probably the only one that didn't make sense, so I'll give you that. It was bright and stood out nonetheless.

Red Arrows was introduced to the North East by Ray Stenning, presumably copying London Buses and trentbarton.

Tynedale Express was basically an express through Tynedale. The latest livery featured an abstract Hexham Abbey (open to correction, there).
Seeing a Flickr photo that 6154 is at Blackburn Bus & Coach apparently for a repaint. Wonder if this is for the 58 and there going to make 6149/54 be for the 58

The guy responded to the comment saying there is a few down there
(19 Jun 2021, 10:13 pm)Micheal Aaron wrote Seeing a Flickr photo that 6154 is at Blackburn Bus & Coach apparently for a repaint. Wonder if this is for the 58 and there going to make 6149/54 be for the 58

The guy responded to the comment saying there is a few down there

Blackburn must be helping with the repaints or are they getting a small refurb?, have you got a link to the picture please.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Jun 2021, 10:21 pm)Michael wrote Blackburn must be helping with the repaints or are they getting a small refurb?, have you got a link to the picture please.
Doesn't suprise me with amount if repaints going on
(19 Jun 2021, 10:21 pm)Michael wrote Blackburn must be helping with the repaints or are they getting a small refurb?, have you got a link to the picture please.
6154 was repainted a while ago (after an accident in Sunderland?) and I believe it was said that due to these arriving not that along ago 3/4 years ago the interiors are still fresh. So I don’t think it’s refurb but a modification of some sort.
Ne14ne1
(20 Jun 2021, 6:48 am)NewcastleOne wrote 6154 was repainted a while ago (after an accident in Sunderland?) and I believe it was said that due to these arriving not that along ago 3/4 years ago the interiors are still fresh. So I don’t think it’s refurb but a modification of some sort.

Maybe they could paint black window surrounds while it’s there. Wink
RE: Ne14ne1
(22 Jun 2021, 4:52 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Swap your horseshoes?

Just a caught up on this.

Is the customer…a horse?
File away in the same place as the standing up mega-rears on the X10.  Undecided
(01 Jul 2021, 1:22 pm)Rapidsnap wrote 6154 is now in East Gateshead Rider Livery.

Last one to be done for the 58.

Looks like:

6149 - 6154 for the 58

6155 - 6160 for 93/94 with 59/60 left to be repainted, according to bustimes.org.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(08 Jul 2021, 1:42 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [Disclaimer - not a GNE repaint.]

“Right, what shall we do for these guys? …Go North East’s road stripes, turned upside down, and reflected 180° - bam! Send the invoice”.

https://twitter.com/gstevens01/status/14...74597?s=21

I wonder who designed that!

Actually, it doesn't seem to have the awful patch of colour on the front so maybe it's not worst impressions...
Ne14ne1
(08 Jul 2021, 1:46 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I wonder who designed that!

Actually, it doesn't seem to have the awful patch of colour on the front so maybe it's not worst impressions...

Yeah to be fair there was no cringe-worthy gushing about creating desire so maybe not.
The last Gateshead Rider, the one that was only repainted in 2019 livery a year ago, 6154 on her return to service in Gateshead this morning

6154 LJ62KLS | Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini II 6154 trav… | Flickr

(07 Jul 2021, 4:53 pm)Michael wrote Does look good, better than I thought it would.
Two stops down in sun to make that look presentable. Mind they are crap buses and a decade old, punters will not be at all impressed and the stupid name won't help  Undecided

(10 Jun 2020, 9:05 am)V514DFT wrote I have to say tne N56 livery was one of my favourite liveries
N56 was a very smart livery on 6085.

People seem a bit unimpressed with the refresh, no surprise when the insides are poor seconds to the Cobalts