Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

Reversing the decline in passenger numbers

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (29) Previous 110 11 1229 Next
Train8261

21 Aug 2021, 6:57 pm #201
(21 Aug 2021, 6:45 pm)ASX_Terranova Is the X30 still operating, could they run that all day?
Yea X30 is still running
Train8261
21 Aug 2021, 6:57 pm #201

(21 Aug 2021, 6:45 pm)ASX_Terranova Is the X30 still operating, could they run that all day?
Yea X30 is still running

21 Aug 2021, 9:50 pm #202
The X30 would only be attractive to those in Newsham and Blyth town centre. There needs to be an express from Bebside and Cowpen as well (preferably straight onto the A189 without the faff of crossing Blyth).
omnicity4659
21 Aug 2021, 9:50 pm #202

The X30 would only be attractive to those in Newsham and Blyth town centre. There needs to be an express from Bebside and Cowpen as well (preferably straight onto the A189 without the faff of crossing Blyth).

Adrian

30 Aug 2021, 5:32 pm #203
(30 Aug 2021, 8:57 am)cbma06 Park lane interchange is just a waste of space, to far away from the shops in the city centre, the location was on favoured because of the metro connection and civic centre (which will be no more), should of built it on the other location which housing the old Debenhams store/multi storey car park, when passengers are carrying all there heavy shopping bags trailing up park lane to get to the bus station, stagecoach decided to pull out because of the fees for each bus entering the interchange and also the added minutes to the timetables to serve the interchange. Should knock down the shops on the north side of holmside to blandford street and use this area for a bus station. GNE should bring back the X6 serving Burdon road (museum), Holmside then interchange and vice versa, many passengers have missed getting off in the central area of town to do shopping when gne took that section off when the X6 was split from the x20.

Similar to the example of Market Street East in Newcastle, it is literally a 5 minute walk from the middle of Market Square, which arguably is the centre of all the shops. 

If people can muster up the energy to walk around shops all morning, then surely they can manage the short walk to and from the bus station. Bags of shopping or not.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
30 Aug 2021, 5:32 pm #203

(30 Aug 2021, 8:57 am)cbma06 Park lane interchange is just a waste of space, to far away from the shops in the city centre, the location was on favoured because of the metro connection and civic centre (which will be no more), should of built it on the other location which housing the old Debenhams store/multi storey car park, when passengers are carrying all there heavy shopping bags trailing up park lane to get to the bus station, stagecoach decided to pull out because of the fees for each bus entering the interchange and also the added minutes to the timetables to serve the interchange. Should knock down the shops on the north side of holmside to blandford street and use this area for a bus station. GNE should bring back the X6 serving Burdon road (museum), Holmside then interchange and vice versa, many passengers have missed getting off in the central area of town to do shopping when gne took that section off when the X6 was split from the x20.

Similar to the example of Market Street East in Newcastle, it is literally a 5 minute walk from the middle of Market Square, which arguably is the centre of all the shops. 

If people can muster up the energy to walk around shops all morning, then surely they can manage the short walk to and from the bus station. Bags of shopping or not.

31 Aug 2021, 4:47 am #204
(30 Aug 2021, 6:39 pm)Andreos1 I'm not sure anyone has ever suggested a bus being provided for every opportunity.
I've certainly suggested (and I know others have too), that the network is reimagined and it is adapted to suit changing travel patterns.
Before anyone gets on their protective high-horse - this isn't about one specific operator. 
It's the whole lot here in the NE and there are many examples of the network now, being as it was (or pretty similar) 20, 30, 40 years ago when town and city centres were king, out of town retail parks were new, business parks didn't exist and the internet was in its infancy (or didn't exist).

Yes, Drifter60 may have provided one example on one day, but who is to say that the residents living on the route of the 60, don't fancy a day out on the other side of the river?
Who is to say that people living on the north side of the river don't work at Seaham?
Or do we just pretend that keeping the status quo is good, changing buses is easy and ticketing works nicely?

Do the older style services work in a modern environment though, when there's say multiple buses that use the same corridor that go to completely different places work in the modern environment though? And I don't just mean the 56, 35, 12/13 and 3 all using North Hylton Road.

For example there was a time when there was a bus that followed the current 20 route to Sunderland then onto Seaham. It was and still is my main route to Sunderland, yet I don't seem to remember it in my childhood? I only ever remember getting the 535/536, or E6. I'm not sure how you'd incorporate that into a modern bus network. If I actually wanted to get to Seaham by bus, I think I'd probably just jump on the first bus that got me to Park Lane, then the first bus to Seaham from there, which I think the current system is built for? Would more people who don't plan public transport journeys like I do just wait for the bus that had Seaham written on the front, even if it was hourly, despite their being buses every 12 minutes across the whole route from the same operator?

I'm not really sure where the solution is, and whether people would use it more than the current system. Or am I missing a third option that is better than the old and new system?
deanmachine
31 Aug 2021, 4:47 am #204

(30 Aug 2021, 6:39 pm)Andreos1 I'm not sure anyone has ever suggested a bus being provided for every opportunity.
I've certainly suggested (and I know others have too), that the network is reimagined and it is adapted to suit changing travel patterns.
Before anyone gets on their protective high-horse - this isn't about one specific operator. 
It's the whole lot here in the NE and there are many examples of the network now, being as it was (or pretty similar) 20, 30, 40 years ago when town and city centres were king, out of town retail parks were new, business parks didn't exist and the internet was in its infancy (or didn't exist).

Yes, Drifter60 may have provided one example on one day, but who is to say that the residents living on the route of the 60, don't fancy a day out on the other side of the river?
Who is to say that people living on the north side of the river don't work at Seaham?
Or do we just pretend that keeping the status quo is good, changing buses is easy and ticketing works nicely?

Do the older style services work in a modern environment though, when there's say multiple buses that use the same corridor that go to completely different places work in the modern environment though? And I don't just mean the 56, 35, 12/13 and 3 all using North Hylton Road.

For example there was a time when there was a bus that followed the current 20 route to Sunderland then onto Seaham. It was and still is my main route to Sunderland, yet I don't seem to remember it in my childhood? I only ever remember getting the 535/536, or E6. I'm not sure how you'd incorporate that into a modern bus network. If I actually wanted to get to Seaham by bus, I think I'd probably just jump on the first bus that got me to Park Lane, then the first bus to Seaham from there, which I think the current system is built for? Would more people who don't plan public transport journeys like I do just wait for the bus that had Seaham written on the front, even if it was hourly, despite their being buses every 12 minutes across the whole route from the same operator?

I'm not really sure where the solution is, and whether people would use it more than the current system. Or am I missing a third option that is better than the old and new system?

MurdnunoC

31 Aug 2021, 9:54 am #205
(31 Aug 2021, 4:47 am)deanmachine For example there was a time when there was a bus that followed the current 20 route to Sunderland then onto Seaham. It was and still is my main route to Sunderland, yet I don't seem to remember it in my childhood? I only ever remember getting the 535/536, or E6. I'm not sure how you'd incorporate that into a modern bus network. If I actually wanted to get to Seaham by bus, I think I'd probably just jump on the first bus that got me to Park Lane, then the first bus to Seaham from there, which I think the current system is built for? Would more people who don't plan public transport journeys like I do just wait for the bus that had Seaham written on the front, even if it was hourly, despite their being buses every 12 minutes across the whole route from the same operator?

The route between Seaham and South Shields was the 37 and I think it was launched in either 2000 or 2001 to compliment the 535/536 which had recently been renumbered to 35/36. Aside from not being a regular traveller to Seaham, one of the reasons you probably don't remember it is because it didn't last very long (maybe 18 months - max) while 535/536 were long established routes going back decades. People, in general, are conditioned to identify with what they know, so perhaps they were willing to let the 37 pass whilst waiting for the 35/36 (or 535/536 - whatever it was) as they were familiar with the service. Maybe that applied to you as well, I don't know...

Whether someone going to Seaham from South Shields would just jump onto the first bus to Park Lane then the first bus to Seaham might possibly depend on the frequency of the service (as you've pointed out); how frequently you travel the route; and the cost of the journey. If you travel by bus from South Shields to Seaham on a daily basis then you are probably going to have a weekly or monthly pass which means the cost of the journey is the same no matter what. However, if you travel infrequently between South Shields and Seaham and find out there is a direct bus, then it is likely you're going to use that bus because it is easier (no connecting journey) and possibly cheaper.

In the past, when I was in my teens in the early 90s and bus fares were only either 10p or 15p, catching one bus instead of two is going to save me 15p (or 30p taking into account the return journey). Using the same psychology now, if taking advantage of GNE's £1 evening fare, the same principle applies. So if I travelled from Winlaton to Wardley (and back), it would only cost me £2 using the 69, or £4 if I decided to take the more frequent option of catching the 57 to Gateshead and the 49 back to Winlaton. If time wasn't an issue, I'd go with the cheaper option.

The third option, might be a compromise where, if there are more than two possible combinations of journeys between destinations taking a similar amount of time, the single fare option is applied as long as the journey is completed within a certain time. So, in theory, it might be something similar to the old TRANSFARE system, where, just using the example of the 57/49/49a again, you can make the same journey as long as you transfer onto the 49 within a 30 minute time window at Gateshead. That might be a way forward...
MurdnunoC
31 Aug 2021, 9:54 am #205

(31 Aug 2021, 4:47 am)deanmachine For example there was a time when there was a bus that followed the current 20 route to Sunderland then onto Seaham. It was and still is my main route to Sunderland, yet I don't seem to remember it in my childhood? I only ever remember getting the 535/536, or E6. I'm not sure how you'd incorporate that into a modern bus network. If I actually wanted to get to Seaham by bus, I think I'd probably just jump on the first bus that got me to Park Lane, then the first bus to Seaham from there, which I think the current system is built for? Would more people who don't plan public transport journeys like I do just wait for the bus that had Seaham written on the front, even if it was hourly, despite their being buses every 12 minutes across the whole route from the same operator?

The route between Seaham and South Shields was the 37 and I think it was launched in either 2000 or 2001 to compliment the 535/536 which had recently been renumbered to 35/36. Aside from not being a regular traveller to Seaham, one of the reasons you probably don't remember it is because it didn't last very long (maybe 18 months - max) while 535/536 were long established routes going back decades. People, in general, are conditioned to identify with what they know, so perhaps they were willing to let the 37 pass whilst waiting for the 35/36 (or 535/536 - whatever it was) as they were familiar with the service. Maybe that applied to you as well, I don't know...

Whether someone going to Seaham from South Shields would just jump onto the first bus to Park Lane then the first bus to Seaham might possibly depend on the frequency of the service (as you've pointed out); how frequently you travel the route; and the cost of the journey. If you travel by bus from South Shields to Seaham on a daily basis then you are probably going to have a weekly or monthly pass which means the cost of the journey is the same no matter what. However, if you travel infrequently between South Shields and Seaham and find out there is a direct bus, then it is likely you're going to use that bus because it is easier (no connecting journey) and possibly cheaper.

In the past, when I was in my teens in the early 90s and bus fares were only either 10p or 15p, catching one bus instead of two is going to save me 15p (or 30p taking into account the return journey). Using the same psychology now, if taking advantage of GNE's £1 evening fare, the same principle applies. So if I travelled from Winlaton to Wardley (and back), it would only cost me £2 using the 69, or £4 if I decided to take the more frequent option of catching the 57 to Gateshead and the 49 back to Winlaton. If time wasn't an issue, I'd go with the cheaper option.

The third option, might be a compromise where, if there are more than two possible combinations of journeys between destinations taking a similar amount of time, the single fare option is applied as long as the journey is completed within a certain time. So, in theory, it might be something similar to the old TRANSFARE system, where, just using the example of the 57/49/49a again, you can make the same journey as long as you transfer onto the 49 within a 30 minute time window at Gateshead. That might be a way forward...

Andreos1

31 Aug 2021, 11:23 am #206
(31 Aug 2021, 4:47 am)deanmachine Do the older style services work in a modern environment though, when there's say multiple buses that use the same corridor that go to completely different places work in the modern environment though? And I don't just mean the 56, 35, 12/13 and 3 all using North Hylton Road.

I think frequency is a major part in someone using a service. I also think there are other factors to take in to account such a pricing, journey time, branding and any other conditioning factors that come from familiarity or something else.

I've mentioned ratio and probability in the past and I think it plays a part in the success (or lack of) with a particular service.
Old Durham Road is probably a key example. It has a mixture of frequent and in-frequent services and I'd hazard a guess that for someone travelling between Gateshead and the QE, they would end up on one of the more frequent buses such as the 56 or 57 as opposed to something like the 28 - regardless of any stand allocations at the Interchange.

It is probably why the likes of the 925, 938 etc never survived and why the 238 was withdrawn. The 238 was never going to compete between Sunderland and Seaham, versus the 60 and probably struggled for local trips too.

I genuinely don't think hub and spoke works as well as operators believe it does or want it to work.

I know someone who lives in the Roker/Fulwell area and who works in Seaham Business Park near Blast Beach. He doesn't drive. 
Whilst I'm not saying he deserves a bus to take him to/from work, I do know that using public transport is always his last resort.
He will do anything to get a lift, over using the bus.

The train isn't an option to/from Sunderland (despite it being quicker), due to the poor connectivity to other modes of transport at Seaham.

Yes, it is just one example - but it is possibly a snapshot of the issues commuters face in that because there's never been an established, regular connection between two points, operators think that should never be a regular connection between the two points.
Except, maybe there should be. Or at least something that is better than what we have now.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
31 Aug 2021, 11:23 am #206

(31 Aug 2021, 4:47 am)deanmachine Do the older style services work in a modern environment though, when there's say multiple buses that use the same corridor that go to completely different places work in the modern environment though? And I don't just mean the 56, 35, 12/13 and 3 all using North Hylton Road.

I think frequency is a major part in someone using a service. I also think there are other factors to take in to account such a pricing, journey time, branding and any other conditioning factors that come from familiarity or something else.

I've mentioned ratio and probability in the past and I think it plays a part in the success (or lack of) with a particular service.
Old Durham Road is probably a key example. It has a mixture of frequent and in-frequent services and I'd hazard a guess that for someone travelling between Gateshead and the QE, they would end up on one of the more frequent buses such as the 56 or 57 as opposed to something like the 28 - regardless of any stand allocations at the Interchange.

It is probably why the likes of the 925, 938 etc never survived and why the 238 was withdrawn. The 238 was never going to compete between Sunderland and Seaham, versus the 60 and probably struggled for local trips too.

I genuinely don't think hub and spoke works as well as operators believe it does or want it to work.

I know someone who lives in the Roker/Fulwell area and who works in Seaham Business Park near Blast Beach. He doesn't drive. 
Whilst I'm not saying he deserves a bus to take him to/from work, I do know that using public transport is always his last resort.

The train isn't an option to/from Sunderland (despite it being quicker), due to the poor connectivity to other modes of transport at Seaham.

Yes, it is just one example - but it is possibly a snapshot of the issues commuters face in that because there's never been an established, regular connection between two points, operators think that should never be a regular connection between the two points.
Except, maybe there should be. Or at least something that is better than what we have now.

Keeiajs

31 Aug 2021, 12:48 pm #207
(31 Aug 2021, 11:23 am)Andreos1 I think frequency is a major part in someone using a service. I also think there are other factors to take in to account such a pricing, journey time, branding and any other conditioning factors that come from familiarity or something else.

I must say the 238 I used it oftern between Sunderland - Houghton and it was quite busy.
Keeiajs
31 Aug 2021, 12:48 pm #207

(31 Aug 2021, 11:23 am)Andreos1 I think frequency is a major part in someone using a service. I also think there are other factors to take in to account such a pricing, journey time, branding and any other conditioning factors that come from familiarity or something else.

I must say the 238 I used it oftern between Sunderland - Houghton and it was quite busy.

Adrian

31 Aug 2021, 1:19 pm #208

I think frequency can be a major part, but I don't think it can be the be-all and end-all, as it has often been marketed in the past. For me, it's just as important to make sure that proper thought goes into connections (in both directions) with less frequent services, but perhaps the ones that are used to get people to the high frequency service that takes them from A to B. When high frequency isn't appropriate, then the timing of terminus departures are key to me. Because when you're trying to attract people from the convenience of a car, you have to remember that they don't turn up to a car park and stand around for 25 minutes before their car is ready to depart.

If I use the 50 as an example from Durham, from 4pm onwards (which is generally the earliest daytime workers will leave work), you've just missed the 15.57, you've got the 16.32, 17.09, 17.39 and then 18.06 is the last one. So you end up in the situation where it's just far too tight for people finishing work on the hour/half past the hour (as shifts usually do) to catch any of those, and quite a long time for people be stood around waiting for the next one that is due.

You of course can split the journey at Chester-le-Street, but the X21 doesn't connect with the 50 (apart from the 17.16 out of Durham) nor the 8. The 8's Sunderland-bound departures from CLS are timetabled very close to the 50, rather than planning it so that it creates more of a clock-face frequency. Problems that still exist post 5th September.

Adrian
31 Aug 2021, 1:19 pm #208

I think frequency can be a major part, but I don't think it can be the be-all and end-all, as it has often been marketed in the past. For me, it's just as important to make sure that proper thought goes into connections (in both directions) with less frequent services, but perhaps the ones that are used to get people to the high frequency service that takes them from A to B. When high frequency isn't appropriate, then the timing of terminus departures are key to me. Because when you're trying to attract people from the convenience of a car, you have to remember that they don't turn up to a car park and stand around for 25 minutes before their car is ready to depart.

If I use the 50 as an example from Durham, from 4pm onwards (which is generally the earliest daytime workers will leave work), you've just missed the 15.57, you've got the 16.32, 17.09, 17.39 and then 18.06 is the last one. So you end up in the situation where it's just far too tight for people finishing work on the hour/half past the hour (as shifts usually do) to catch any of those, and quite a long time for people be stood around waiting for the next one that is due.

You of course can split the journey at Chester-le-Street, but the X21 doesn't connect with the 50 (apart from the 17.16 out of Durham) nor the 8. The 8's Sunderland-bound departures from CLS are timetabled very close to the 50, rather than planning it so that it creates more of a clock-face frequency. Problems that still exist post 5th September.

Andreos1

31 Aug 2021, 2:23 pm #209
(31 Aug 2021, 1:19 pm)Adrian I think frequency can be a major part, but I don't think it can be the be-all and end-all, as it has often been marketed in the past. For me, it's just as important to make sure that proper thought goes into connections (in both directions) with less frequent services, but perhaps the ones that are used to get people to the high frequency service that takes them from A to B. When high frequency isn't appropriate, then the timing of terminus departures are key to me. Because when you're trying to attract people from the convenience of a car, you have to remember that they don't turn up to a car park and stand around for 25 minutes before their car is ready to depart.

Couldn't agree more.
Timetabling and connections are a factor too.

Chester on an evening, is nothing but a mess. No co-ordination at all between services.

Then there's the 71 and 78 between Chester and Woodstone Village which don't work either. 60mins in an hour and they have the two services as they are, with very little headway in one direction and a bit more in the other.

Joined up thinking with a hub and spoke model? What's that all about?

Andreos1
31 Aug 2021, 2:23 pm #209

(31 Aug 2021, 1:19 pm)Adrian I think frequency can be a major part, but I don't think it can be the be-all and end-all, as it has often been marketed in the past. For me, it's just as important to make sure that proper thought goes into connections (in both directions) with less frequent services, but perhaps the ones that are used to get people to the high frequency service that takes them from A to B. When high frequency isn't appropriate, then the timing of terminus departures are key to me. Because when you're trying to attract people from the convenience of a car, you have to remember that they don't turn up to a car park and stand around for 25 minutes before their car is ready to depart.

Couldn't agree more.
Timetabling and connections are a factor too.

Chester on an evening, is nothing but a mess. No co-ordination at all between services.

Then there's the 71 and 78 between Chester and Woodstone Village which don't work either. 60mins in an hour and they have the two services as they are, with very little headway in one direction and a bit more in the other.

Joined up thinking with a hub and spoke model? What's that all about?

31 Aug 2021, 2:36 pm #210

I used to hate the connections when I was going to University at St Peters because neither the 2/2A or 8 from Washington  used to Connect well to the 700/702 in Sunderland so i'd have a 15 to 20 Minute wait depending on the time of day.
 If I was coming home I would go 700/702, 78 then X1 or 4 because it was easier (and suprisingly quicker with the X1 as well).

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
31 Aug 2021, 2:36 pm #210

I used to hate the connections when I was going to University at St Peters because neither the 2/2A or 8 from Washington  used to Connect well to the 700/702 in Sunderland so i'd have a 15 to 20 Minute wait depending on the time of day.
 If I was coming home I would go 700/702, 78 then X1 or 4 because it was easier (and suprisingly quicker with the X1 as well).

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

MurdnunoC

31 Aug 2021, 4:01 pm #211

This is one of the main reasons why I decided to learn how to drive. On a summer evening, it might be nice to go for stroll to pass the time whilst waiting for a bus, but in the winter, the prospect of a stroll or waiting around in a cold bus station for half-an-hour isn't exactly appealing.

While timings have improved in the Derwent Valley over the past twenty years or so, I used to hate travelling home by bus on an evening when I used to work in the Metrocentre in the late 90s. I think there was the choice between the 611, the 745 and, perhaps the M21 (not too sure about the latter), however they all used to be timed to come within 15 minutes of each other (55, 00 and 10, IIRC - I'll check when I'm at home later!). For someone finishing at either 8pm or 9pm, it is certainly not ideal to have another 45 minute wait on top of your day.

In some ways I was lucky as I only had one bus to catch. I know that some people I worked with lived in Washington and Birtley so imagine their experience might have been as bad as mine.

But this point makes you wonder how much of a factor bad timetabling or inadequate connections are when someone makes the decision to switch from bus to car.
MurdnunoC
31 Aug 2021, 4:01 pm #211

This is one of the main reasons why I decided to learn how to drive. On a summer evening, it might be nice to go for stroll to pass the time whilst waiting for a bus, but in the winter, the prospect of a stroll or waiting around in a cold bus station for half-an-hour isn't exactly appealing.

While timings have improved in the Derwent Valley over the past twenty years or so, I used to hate travelling home by bus on an evening when I used to work in the Metrocentre in the late 90s. I think there was the choice between the 611, the 745 and, perhaps the M21 (not too sure about the latter), however they all used to be timed to come within 15 minutes of each other (55, 00 and 10, IIRC - I'll check when I'm at home later!). For someone finishing at either 8pm or 9pm, it is certainly not ideal to have another 45 minute wait on top of your day.

In some ways I was lucky as I only had one bus to catch. I know that some people I worked with lived in Washington and Birtley so imagine their experience might have been as bad as mine.

But this point makes you wonder how much of a factor bad timetabling or inadequate connections are when someone makes the decision to switch from bus to car.

Keeiajs

31 Aug 2021, 4:07 pm #212
Sunderland College has awful connects to the 60/61/2/2A/39/X6. Which isn't great. Sometimes waiting 12 mins for bus. When 20/35/55/X20 go there just the X20/35/55 depart around the same time.
Keeiajs
31 Aug 2021, 4:07 pm #212

Sunderland College has awful connects to the 60/61/2/2A/39/X6. Which isn't great. Sometimes waiting 12 mins for bus. When 20/35/55/X20 go there just the X20/35/55 depart around the same time.

MurdnunoC

31 Aug 2021, 4:09 pm #213
(31 Aug 2021, 4:07 pm)Keeiajs Sunderland College has awful connects to the 60/61/2/2A/39/X6. Which isn't great. Sometimes waiting 12 mins for bus. When 20/35/55/X20 go there just the X20/35/55 depart around the same time.

12 minutes?

You are spoiled.
MurdnunoC
31 Aug 2021, 4:09 pm #213

(31 Aug 2021, 4:07 pm)Keeiajs Sunderland College has awful connects to the 60/61/2/2A/39/X6. Which isn't great. Sometimes waiting 12 mins for bus. When 20/35/55/X20 go there just the X20/35/55 depart around the same time.

12 minutes?

You are spoiled.

Keeiajs

31 Aug 2021, 4:10 pm #214
(31 Aug 2021, 4:09 pm)MurdnunoC 12 minutes?

You are spoiled.
12 Mins if the 20 is on time. Wouldn't be a massive issue if Park lane wasn't a wind tunnel.
Keeiajs
31 Aug 2021, 4:10 pm #214

(31 Aug 2021, 4:09 pm)MurdnunoC 12 minutes?

You are spoiled.
12 Mins if the 20 is on time. Wouldn't be a massive issue if Park lane wasn't a wind tunnel.

Andreos1

31 Aug 2021, 7:06 pm #215
(31 Aug 2021, 4:01 pm)MurdnunoC This is one of the main reasons why I decided to learn how to drive. On a summer evening, it might be nice to go for stroll to pass the time whilst waiting for a bus, but in the winter, the prospect of a stroll or waiting around in a cold bus station for half-an-hour isn't exactly appealing.

I'd say it is a huge factor and it seems to be ignored in favour of tables, WiFi and whatever else.
Sorting out the fares is just one element and although it appears the £1 fare offer is having a positive impact on elastic passengers, it makes naff all difference to those customers who need to plan a journey with military precision.

Hard, network improvements are needed.

Andreos1
31 Aug 2021, 7:06 pm #215

(31 Aug 2021, 4:01 pm)MurdnunoC This is one of the main reasons why I decided to learn how to drive. On a summer evening, it might be nice to go for stroll to pass the time whilst waiting for a bus, but in the winter, the prospect of a stroll or waiting around in a cold bus station for half-an-hour isn't exactly appealing.

I'd say it is a huge factor and it seems to be ignored in favour of tables, WiFi and whatever else.
Sorting out the fares is just one element and although it appears the £1 fare offer is having a positive impact on elastic passengers, it makes naff all difference to those customers who need to plan a journey with military precision.

31 Aug 2021, 7:51 pm #216
(31 Aug 2021, 7:06 pm)Andreos1 I'd say it is a huge factor and it seems to be ignored in favour of tables, WiFi and whatever else.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive, I imagine the timetabling would be the same regardless of whether they have a high-spec interior or a bog standard one
streetdeckfan
31 Aug 2021, 7:51 pm #216

(31 Aug 2021, 7:06 pm)Andreos1 I'd say it is a huge factor and it seems to be ignored in favour of tables, WiFi and whatever else.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive, I imagine the timetabling would be the same regardless of whether they have a high-spec interior or a bog standard one

Andreos1

31 Aug 2021, 9:18 pm #217
(31 Aug 2021, 7:51 pm)streetdeckfan The two things aren't mutually exclusive, I imagine the timetabling would be the same regardless of whether they have a high-spec interior or a bog standard one

I'd argue that the WiFi and tables can only go so far. Just as the £1 fares can only go so far and a timetable that works, can only go so far.
However working to improve the network and timetables would have a far bigger impact imo.

No good having the fare offer, WiFi and tables if theres a 45min wait between connections, buses don't go where people need them to go or timetables don't coincide with shifts finishes (see Adrian's example) and people are put off using the bus as a result.

Andreos1
31 Aug 2021, 9:18 pm #217

(31 Aug 2021, 7:51 pm)streetdeckfan The two things aren't mutually exclusive, I imagine the timetabling would be the same regardless of whether they have a high-spec interior or a bog standard one

I'd argue that the WiFi and tables can only go so far. Just as the £1 fares can only go so far and a timetable that works, can only go so far.
However working to improve the network and timetables would have a far bigger impact imo.

No good having the fare offer, WiFi and tables if theres a 45min wait between connections, buses don't go where people need them to go or timetables don't coincide with shifts finishes (see Adrian's example) and people are put off using the bus as a result.

Jimmi

31 Aug 2021, 10:25 pm #218
Generally passengers HATE having to connect between services.

I have family members who would sooner wait round Darlington Station for as long as 50 minutes (in the past) to get a direct train to Manchester/Liverpool than have a quicker journey but change somewhere along the way (typically York or Leeds).

I live in Newton Aycliffe and when it came to start college, despite being further away than the likes of Darlington & Bishop, I chose New College Durham to take my course as when I started at least it was one Bus direct to get there more or less dropping me off outside whereas Darlington required a change in the Town Centre (or walk) whilst Bishop Auckland College had a half hourly service and would have a 16 min walk to the campus. It became less desirable when Arriva curtailed most 7's of the day at Durham Bus Station, I retained the direct bus each morning but my finish time seemed to be a different time each day (anything from 15:30 - 16:30 despite being timetabled to be in until 17:00) and I would almost always get to North Road Roundabout and see my connecting 7 leaving the Bus Station and would have to wait 20 minutes for the next one (assuming it was on time which was rare), often if I finished at around 16:00 I just waited around until the first direct bus home from Fram with how "reliable" the 64 tended to be, I would often just end up catching the same 7 from Durham Bus Station, so a journey which originally took roughly 60 minutes when direct Mon-Sat daytime to/from Fram became 90 minutes, or even as much as 120 minutes when the 64 would disappear off the face of the earth, was half tempted to leave the College as it became such a faff.

I think lack of connections or poorly timed connections really don't help passengers, especially if the connection is somewhere awful, I absolutely detested waiting in Durham Bus Station at night and even with security didn't feel safe/anxious half the time. I like how GNE have tried to maintain that with the loss of the 925, passengers wishing to travel to/from QE Hospital should change at Wrekenton, one problem however is the 25 will no longer serve the High Street stop in Wrekenton (Langley Park bound) which although the alternative stop isn't far away it will still be a pain to some.
Jimmi
31 Aug 2021, 10:25 pm #218

Generally passengers HATE having to connect between services.

I have family members who would sooner wait round Darlington Station for as long as 50 minutes (in the past) to get a direct train to Manchester/Liverpool than have a quicker journey but change somewhere along the way (typically York or Leeds).

I live in Newton Aycliffe and when it came to start college, despite being further away than the likes of Darlington & Bishop, I chose New College Durham to take my course as when I started at least it was one Bus direct to get there more or less dropping me off outside whereas Darlington required a change in the Town Centre (or walk) whilst Bishop Auckland College had a half hourly service and would have a 16 min walk to the campus. It became less desirable when Arriva curtailed most 7's of the day at Durham Bus Station, I retained the direct bus each morning but my finish time seemed to be a different time each day (anything from 15:30 - 16:30 despite being timetabled to be in until 17:00) and I would almost always get to North Road Roundabout and see my connecting 7 leaving the Bus Station and would have to wait 20 minutes for the next one (assuming it was on time which was rare), often if I finished at around 16:00 I just waited around until the first direct bus home from Fram with how "reliable" the 64 tended to be, I would often just end up catching the same 7 from Durham Bus Station, so a journey which originally took roughly 60 minutes when direct Mon-Sat daytime to/from Fram became 90 minutes, or even as much as 120 minutes when the 64 would disappear off the face of the earth, was half tempted to leave the College as it became such a faff.

I think lack of connections or poorly timed connections really don't help passengers, especially if the connection is somewhere awful, I absolutely detested waiting in Durham Bus Station at night and even with security didn't feel safe/anxious half the time. I like how GNE have tried to maintain that with the loss of the 925, passengers wishing to travel to/from QE Hospital should change at Wrekenton, one problem however is the 25 will no longer serve the High Street stop in Wrekenton (Langley Park bound) which although the alternative stop isn't far away it will still be a pain to some.

MurdnunoC

31 Aug 2021, 10:33 pm #219
(31 Aug 2021, 10:25 pm)Jimmi Generally passengers HATE having to connect between services.

I used to like the way you connected with cyclists and mobility scooters by diving into the path of them ?
MurdnunoC
31 Aug 2021, 10:33 pm #219

(31 Aug 2021, 10:25 pm)Jimmi Generally passengers HATE having to connect between services.

I used to like the way you connected with cyclists and mobility scooters by diving into the path of them ?

Adrian

31 Aug 2021, 10:39 pm #220
(31 Aug 2021, 10:25 pm)Jimmi I think lack of connections or poorly timed connections really don't help passengers, especially if the connection is somewhere awful, I absolutely detested waiting in Durham Bus Station at night and even with security didn't feel safe/anxious half the time. I like how GNE have tried to maintain that with the loss of the 925, passengers wishing to travel to/from QE Hospital should change at Wrekenton, one problem however is the 25 will no longer serve the High Street stop in Wrekenton (Langley Park bound) which although the alternative stop isn't far away it will still be a pain to some.

And safety is a huge problem for people travelling. I've seen all sorts in Durham Bus Station on a night, yet that's probably one of the more secure stations, having security staff working late. It doesn't make it any more pleasant when the pissheads come in.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Adrian
31 Aug 2021, 10:39 pm #220

(31 Aug 2021, 10:25 pm)Jimmi I think lack of connections or poorly timed connections really don't help passengers, especially if the connection is somewhere awful, I absolutely detested waiting in Durham Bus Station at night and even with security didn't feel safe/anxious half the time. I like how GNE have tried to maintain that with the loss of the 925, passengers wishing to travel to/from QE Hospital should change at Wrekenton, one problem however is the 25 will no longer serve the High Street stop in Wrekenton (Langley Park bound) which although the alternative stop isn't far away it will still be a pain to some.

And safety is a huge problem for people travelling. I've seen all sorts in Durham Bus Station on a night, yet that's probably one of the more secure stations, having security staff working late. It doesn't make it any more pleasant when the pissheads come in.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Pages (29) Previous 110 11 1229 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average