You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

September Service Changes

RE: September Service Changes
Tbh, Since the X7 wasn't returning (which I would rather have the X7 over the X6) The capacity has been normally around 10 people. Sometimes 20. So I do think it should be upgraded to Versa's. And idk why it was dropped by XLines. They could have advertised connections to Sunderland through MiddlesBrough, Fast to Peterlee.
(01 Sep 2021, 12:49 pm)Keeiajs wrote Tbh, Since the X7 wasn't returning (which I would rather have the X7 over the X6) The capacity has been normally around 10 people. Sometimes 20. So I do think it should be upgraded to Versa's. And idk why it was dropped by XLines. They could have advertised connections to Sunderland through MiddlesBrough, Fast to Peterlee.

Surely a Solo is sufficient if that is the case then?
(01 Sep 2021, 1:00 pm)Thomas12 wrote Surely a Solo is sufficient if that is the case then?
Well I mean the 265 got roughly those numbers aswell.
(01 Sep 2021, 1:21 pm)Keeiajs wrote Well I mean the 265 got roughly those numbers aswell.

I think it’s also about services they’re trying market and the competition. The 65 is the only real bus route along its route, other services may do parts but nothing resembles the full route. From Seaham to Hetton/Belmont/Durham your only option is the 65 and vice versa, only other option would be travelling via Sunderland which will undoubtedly take a lot longer. 
The X6 competes with Arriva from Peterlee to Sunderland, it also competes with the far frequent 60 from Seaham to Sunderland. That being said the X6 is the only real option linking Peterlee and Seaham Town Centre (alternatives would be the new 62 which takes far too long or using Arriva then switching to the 60/65 at New Seaham, but that would be two operators and takes a lot longer). So the X6 unique parts are somewhat limited, although it does provide much needed connections. 
However, I’ve been vocal on the forum a few times, that introducing a new bus (the 62) from Sunderland to Seaham Harbour seems a pointless exercise. Frequency is such a barrier for services succeeding and the difference between a hourly and half hourly route is massive, in my opinion. And having a half hourly X6 makes much more sense to me than the 62 North of Seaham, I can’t see folk in Horden and Easington Colliery using the 62 all the way to Sunderland, the latter has the Arriva 23 anyways. Everywhere else on the 62 route has other routes to Sunderland. Perhaps the X6 should have become the 62, half hourly Sunderland to Peterlee via Seaham, Dalton Park, serving all stops all the way (which wouldn’t add much more time, if any) Then kept the 202 between Peterlee and Seaham but now run via Easington Colliery.
(30 Aug 2021, 1:10 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote Wiill all the PDF versions of the new timetables be uploaded by Sunday?
Also which service change does anyone think will be reversed first?
I think the increases in frequency on the services for Old Durham Road/Deckham may be reversed at some point. I'm not convinced that they're particularly necessary.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
(01 Sep 2021, 2:19 pm)Drifter60 wrote I think it’s also about services they’re trying market and the competition. The 65 is the only real bus route along its route, other services may do parts but nothing resembles the full route. From Seaham to Hetton/Belmont/Durham your only option is the 65 and vice versa, only other option would be travelling via Sunderland which will undoubtedly take a lot longer. 
The X6 competes with Arriva from Peterlee to Sunderland, it also competes with the far frequent 60 from Seaham to Sunderland. That being said the X6 is the only real option linking Peterlee and Seaham Town Centre (alternatives would be the new 62 which takes far too long or using Arriva then switching to the 60/65 at New Seaham, but that would be two operators and takes a lot longer). So the X6 unique parts are somewhat limited, although it does provide much needed connections. 
However, I’ve been vocal on the forum a few times, that introducing a new bus (the 62) from Sunderland to Seaham Harbour seems a pointless exercise. Frequency is such a barrier for services succeeding and the difference between a hourly and half hourly route is massive, in my opinion. And having a half hourly X6 makes much more sense to me than the 62 North of Seaham, I can’t see folk in Horden and Easington Colliery using the 62 all the way to Sunderland, the latter has the Arriva 23 anyways. Everywhere else on the 62 route has other routes to Sunderland. Perhaps the X6 should have become the 62, half hourly Sunderland to Peterlee via Seaham, Dalton Park, serving all stops all the way (which wouldn’t add much more time, if any) Then kept the 202 between Peterlee and Seaham but now run via Easington Colliery.
Yeah I mean, they could do X7/X6 60 mind each. And the X7 would follow the exact route of the 62 post Seaham. But I do think the X6 needs a Versa with USB/Wifi.
(01 Sep 2021, 12:14 pm)Storx wrote Not a bad shout that really then do Newgate Street as usual and you've covered the Bigg Market with the stops outside the cathedral. Shouldn't take too much longer either really.

Must admit Market Street is a bit weird but wonder if it's because it's out the way for its layover so there's no drunken yobs banging on windows etc which could be a problem outside The Gate.

That's a fair shout - traffic isn't always the best around that area at night.

When the City changes happen next year there's going to be a lot of movement (mainly for Stagecoach) in terms of stopping arrangements, Newbridge St West,  Pilgrim and Blackett Street all closing to traffic permanently.
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(01 Sep 2021, 4:18 pm)Ambassador wrote That's a fair shout - traffic isn't always the best around that area at night.

When the City changes happen next year there's going to be a lot of movement (mainly for Stagecoach) in terms of stopping arrangements, Newbridge St West,  Pilgrim and Blackett Street all closing to traffic permanently.
I still don't understand what closing Blackett Street and Pilgrim is gonna solve apart from make bus traffic in Newcastle worse than it already is
(01 Sep 2021, 11:12 am)Rapidsnap wrote 65 to be branded as East Durham Explorer

Not a bad name, says what it does.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(01 Sep 2021, 4:18 pm)Ambassador wrote That's a fair shout - traffic isn't always the best around that area at night.

Yeah agreed tbh it needs to be done though and should've been done years ago but just have a feeling it's just going to move the problem to outside The Gate and Market Street which are rather narrow as it is. Not much more you can do though really and their better there than on Blackett Street.

(01 Sep 2021, 4:20 pm)Train8261 wrote I still don't understand what closing Blackett Street and Pilgrim is gonna solve apart from make bus traffic in Newcastle worse than it already is

It's not about buses it's about pedestrian safety and creating extra space for events etc. The way some buses drive along there is just dangerous and it should've been done years ago when Northumberland Street at the top end got done in the late 90's. There's no need for buses to go along there as shown by the trials the past few Summers.
(01 Sep 2021, 12:33 pm)big mac wrote With the layover, possibly that is the reason, although the layover time is only three minutes. So, if it did stop at St Andrew's Church it would probably just be coming in, picking the passengers up and going straight back out again rather than being parked up at the stop for a long period.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
My guess is that it won't have enough time in the timetable to go up John Dobson St, around Haymarket and down to Newgate St. I can't remember how long the N21 is given to run from Gateshead to Newcastle but you're talking a good 4/5mins to go around the top which would cut any and all layover time and probably leave the service running late.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
(01 Sep 2021, 6:31 pm)streetdeckfan wrote So do we know what vehicles will be used on the 47/47A yet?
No, if I were to pluck buses out of Consetts allocation it would be 6301-03 & 6338-40. But who knows what fleet movements will take place this weekend.
(01 Sep 2021, 7:27 pm)Stanleyone wrote No, if I were to pluck buses out of Consetts allocation it would be 6301-03 & 6338-40. But who knows what fleet movements will take place this weekend.

I can't imagine them taking from X-Lines, so the older StreetDecks could be a shout. Would mean less of a downgrade for passengers as well
(01 Sep 2021, 7:54 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I can't imagine them taking from X-Lines, so the older StreetDecks could be a shout. Would mean less of a downgrade for passengers as well
Will they not get the left over G2's from the Coaster, speaking of G2's where are they going. Bar the Durham Diamond
(01 Sep 2021, 8:38 pm)Keeiajs wrote Will they not get the left over G2's from the Coaster, speaking of G2's where are they going.
Theyre euro 5, exept for 6064. The only other deckers I can think of are permanently buying 9056-9061 from ensign bus and upgrading them to euro 6 and refurbishing them (New Seat cushions, USB ports & NSAs, tbh the new GNE Moquette will go great with the Lothian floor red handles) aswell as a repaint and of course recieving new GNE Fleet numbers (6177-6182 If 9068 isn't kept or if it is 6178-6183), they'd be a good addition as they're reliable & comfortable. Tbh 9056-9061 would be the best bet for an allocation for the 47/47A.
(01 Sep 2021, 9:15 pm)GNE6312 wrote Theyre euro 5, exept for 6064. The only other deckers I can think of are permanently buying 9056-9061 from ensign bus and upgrading them to euro 6 and refurbishing them (New Seat cushions, USB ports & NSAs, tbh the new GNE Moquette will go great with the Lothian floor red handles) aswell as a repaint and of course recieving new GNE Fleet numbers (6177-6182 If 9068 isn't kept or if it is 6178-6183), they'd be a good addition as they're reliable & comfortable. Tbh 9056-9061 would be the best bet for an allocation for the 47/47A.
They are on 6 months loan, so they will be gone by the end of the month.
But there is a PVR of 9 on the 16, so there are 6-7 spares, are they going anywhere. Possible a upgrade to a service. Or the 47/47A. I personally would send the spare to Washington & Deptford. And if they do loose StreetDecks have all 3-4 go to Washington for the X1 Extenstion.
(01 Sep 2021, 7:54 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I can't imagine them taking from X-Lines, so the older StreetDecks could be a shout. Would mean less of a downgrade for passengers as well

I can personally, there's literally no other route for the rest of the B5LH's to go on other than the X5/X15 where there's Euro 6 buses which easily could be on the 47/47A instead. The fact they've got plans to put a bid in for electric buses on there in a few years time would be enough time for when the B5LH's are expired and are ready for school work, similar with the Coast Road deckers.
(01 Sep 2021, 9:31 pm)Storx wrote I can personally, there's literally no other route for the rest of the B5LH's to go on other than the X5/X15 where there's Euro 6 buses which easily could be on the 47/47A instead. The fact they've got plans to put a bid in for electric buses on there in a few years time would be enough time for when the B5LH's are expired and are ready for school work, similar with the Coast Road deckers.
So what is GNE's ebus plans. Personally after the investment Consett has gotten they should stay away from that for atleast 4 years.
(01 Sep 2021, 9:37 pm)Keeiajs wrote So what is GNE's ebus plans. Personally after the investment Consett has gotten they should stay away from that for atleast 4 years.

Why? 

Investment should be made on the most profitable routes. If the routes in Consett are making enough money to cover the cost of new vehicles, then they should get them. Those still relatively new buses can then be cascaded onto routes which they otherwise wouldn't be able to justify financially.
(01 Sep 2021, 10:44 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Why? 

Investment should be made on the most profitable routes. If the routes in Consett are making enough money to cover the cost of new vehicles, then they should get them. Those still relatively new buses can then be cascaded onto routes which they otherwise wouldn't be able to justify financially.
And also theres more than Xlines based at consett...
(01 Sep 2021, 10:57 pm)JP6004 wrote And also theres more than Xlines based at consett...

To me, investment should be made on a route by route basis, not on a depot by depot, or area by area basis.
(01 Sep 2021, 10:44 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Why? 

But that doesn't mean they can get a new buses every 3-4 years. X5/X15 isn't even that busy. Tbh I never see the X45/46/47 & X70/71/30/31 particularly busy. There are other routes in other areas which are busy which are running buses which are 9 years old. Not barely 10 month old.
(02 Sep 2021, 7:45 am)Keeiajs wrote But that doesn't mean they can get a new buses every 3-4 years. X5/X15 isn't even that busy. Tbh I never see the X45/46/47 & X70/71/30/31 particularly busy. There are other routes in other areas which are busy which are running buses which are 9 years old. Not barely 10 month old.

There is a sort of point here. I don’t think people are suggesting that every route deserves brand new vehicles but if you’re constantly only investing new money into a very small group of services, it’s not encouraging people to use other parts of the network. And if new vehicles help bring in passengers, then adding brand new buses to some of the more modest routes might promote growth. I know all routes benefit from cascades but still brand new vs three years of wear and tear is still a gap. I’m not necessarily saying GNE are guilty of this, a quick scan back to me shows that they have invested in a variety of routes over the past few years. But I sort of agree with the point that the X-Lines network in Consett doesn’t need new vehicles for the next four years, buying new vehicles wouldn’t upgrade the service that much compared to what they have, plus extra cost repainting the current vehicles etc. Seems a waste. I know there’s a funding bid for electric vehicles, which perhaps put a different slant on things - but I do agree on a general note that investing in like for like buses on the same very selective routes every 3 years doesn’t help promote a wider bus network.
(01 Sep 2021, 9:25 pm)Keeiajs wrote They are on 6 months loan, so they will be gone by the end of the month.
But there is a PVR of 9 on the 16, so there are 6-7 spares, are they going anywhere. Possible a upgrade to a service. Or the 47/47A. I personally would send the spare to Washington & Deptford. And if they do loose StreetDecks have all 3-4 go to Washington for the X1 Extenstion.
What's to stop them converting the other B5's to euro 6 like 6064. then there will be no problem using them on 47/47A. And am I right in saying the cez for Newcastle has been delayed until next year. Plenty of time to convert the rest of the batch to euro 6.
(02 Sep 2021, 10:06 am)ian foster wrote What's to stop them converting the other B5's to euro 6 like 6064. then there will be no problem using them on 47/47A. And am I right in saying the cez for Newcastle has been delayed until next year. Plenty of time to convert the rest of the batch to euro 6.
Idk how long it would take. 6064 was at EYMS for a while. 6-12 months I think it was there, well that is what it felt like.
(02 Sep 2021, 10:09 am)Keeiajs wrote Idk how long it would take. 6064 was at EYMS for a while. 6-12 months I think it was there, well that is what it felt like.
Probably a lot less than 6064 as it was experimental and the first one and was also held up by the pandemic.
(02 Sep 2021, 10:15 am)ian foster wrote Probably a lot less than 6064 as it was experimental and the first one and was also held up by the pandemic.
Yeah true.
(01 Sep 2021, 9:15 pm)GNE6312 wrote Theyre euro 5, exept for 6064. The only other deckers I can think of are permanently buying 9056-9061 from ensign bus and upgrading them to euro 6 and refurbishing them (New Seat cushions, USB ports & NSAs, tbh the new GNE Moquette will go great with the Lothian floor red handles) aswell as a repaint and of course recieving new GNE Fleet numbers (6177-6182 If 9068 isn't kept or if it is 6178-6183), they'd be a good addition as they're reliable & comfortable. Tbh 9056-9061 would be the best bet for an allocation for the 47/47A.
9068 is allox 6175