You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Nexus Tenders | Newcastle & North Tyneside - March 2022

Nexus Tenders | Newcastle & North Tyneside - March 2022

RE: Nexus Tenders | Newcastle & North Tyneside - March 2022
(21 Feb 2022, 6:24 pm)Train8261 wrote Where in the world was it mentioned of the 43 and 44 being changed. Jesus there is no change to the 43 or 44 or 45 for that matter
Literally one morning trip on the 44
Saved these routes have been added into the 43 route and all areas previously served will continue

Tf does that even mean. God forbid 1 journey on the 44 was to be cancelled and that was it. What in the world does saved these routes have been added into the 43 route
(21 Feb 2022, 5:16 pm)Shrek wrote Routes we've managed to save:

Service 11 - Replaced with service 317 which will follow the 11 route between Whitley Bay and Howdon with the addition of ferry landing. From Howdon it will service Ridley Ave, Coniston Road, Churchill Street, Simonside, Archer Street, Holy Cross and then on to Wallsend.

**Good move to also properly replace the old 40/41**

Service 53 - Saved the evening service with it additionally serving Cobalt business park.

**Will Cobalt Business Park be all day or just evenings?**

Go North East service 1 - We've intervened to ensure there is still an evening service on the route between Whitley Bay and Newcastle.

**Will evening journeys no longer serve Gateshead meaning tighter times and a PVR reduction?**

311 - Evening services replaced with 310, meaning residents also get evening services direct to North Shields and continue with the City Centre link. 

**The above was already GNE's intention**

X8 - Evening services saved but with an earlier finishing time.

**X8 is a deadwood route IMO, Arriva should review rest of their network and replace in sections**
(21 Feb 2022, 5:16 pm)Shrek wrote I think Labour might be spinning this just a little, but this has come from their petition to save North Tyneside buses.

--------

Thank You!
Thanks for signing our petition to stop the cuts to bus services in North Tyneside, as a result of the Conservative Government cuts to bus funding, and the private companies putting profits before passengers.

Over 2,000 of you sent a message to the Government and the bus companies telling them to stop the cuts to your services.

We've written to the Government and the bus companies letting them know how you feel.

We've also raised the issue in regional transport committees, and I wrote, as the chair of the Tyne and Wear Transport committee to Baroness Vere, the Conservative Transport Minister responsible for bus funding. You can see the Chronicles article on this here https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...MR82yYa0BU

I wanted to let you know some good news as a direct result of North Tyneside Labour councillors voting to increase funding to NEXUS by £750,000 we've managed to save some routes and replace other routes with services. This does not totally make up for the Conservative Government and private bus company cuts, but it does stop many bus deserts meaning many people have access to buses they wouldn’t if it was left to the Conservative Government.

The campaign does not stop here though, and we will continue pushing to try and secure every single service the Government is cutting. Please share this email and petition with family and friends asking them to sign up to save our buses https://saventbuses.co.uk/

Routes we've managed to save:

Service 19 - Route saved in its entirety and extended to serve other sections of the fish Quay.

Service 11 - Replaced with service 317 which will follow the 11 route between Whitley Bay and Howdon with the addition of ferry landing. From Howdon it will service Ridley Ave, Coniston Road, Churchill Street, Simonside, Archer Street, Holy Cross and then on to Wallsend.

Service 43/44 - Saved these routes have been added into the 43 route and all areas previously served will continue.

Service 53 - Saved the evening service with it additionally serving Cobalt business park.

Go North East service 1 - We've intervened to ensure there is still an evening service on the route between Whitley Bay and Newcastle.

311 - Evening services replaced with 310, meaning residents also get evening services direct to North Shields and continue with the City Centre link.

41/41A - Saved the Hadrian Park to Wallsend section of the route with the Howdon to Wallsend section served by previously mentioned 317.

Service 42 - Replaced with service 342. This new route will serve Wallsend - ASDA (omitting Hadrian Lodge) - Forest Hall - Killingworth - Burradon - Dudley - Seaton Burn - Wideopen - Hazlerigg - Kingston Park - Newbiggin Hall - Westerhope. The Hadrian Lodge section of the route will be replaced with additional services on the Arriva 52

57/57A - Saved evening services from cancellation.

Service 55 - Saved every evening service except for the Sunday evening services.

X8 - Evening services saved but with an earlier finishing time.

We have also managed to secure additional stops on some buses to ensure communities continue to be served by buses.

We will continue to lobby Government and bus companies to tell them to stop cuts to bus services. The changes we have made couldn't save all areas but it was like doing a job with one arm tied behind our back with the cuts from the Conservative Government and bus companies.

We will continue to explore funding for additional services.

Remember to forward this email on to friends and family asking them to sign our petition to save all of our buses https://saventbuses.co.uk/

Kind Regards

Councillor Carl Johnson

Deputy Mayor of North Tyneside

Chair of the Tyne and Wear Transport committee

The 1, 53 and 57/57A have been subsidised in the evening for over a decade, I know it's not exactly right but I'm not sure why they're taking credit for that and the 333, 359 and W3 have never been commercial routes as far as I'm aware and the 52 doesn't run in an evening anyway.

I'm also assuming the Hadrian Lodge changes will be the 51A going through there rather than the 52.
The 52 doesnt go to Hadrian Lodge anyway,it turns off at The Corner House,to the Freeman,the 317 is a bit of a sore thumb numbering wise,apart from any scholars services ,its the only one in North Tyneside with a 3 digit number,i would of numbered it the 17
Kind Regards
Tez
(21 Feb 2022, 7:57 pm)V514DFT wrote The 52 doesnt go to Hadrian Lodge anyway,it turns off at The Corner House,to the Freeman,the 317 is a bit of a sore thumb numbering wise,apart from any scholars services ,its the only one in North Tyneside with a 3 digit number,i would of numbered it the 17

Erm....

The 309, 310, 311, 333 and 335 would argue differently there.
(21 Feb 2022, 8:12 pm)MurdnunoC wrote  

Erm....

The 309, 310, 311, 333 and 335 would argue differently there.
Thats my bad,i thought i had put in 3 digit number ran by Stagecoach on North Tyneside
Kind Regards
Tez
Did the North Tyneside email add that part reason for these cuts is to prop up the Metro as a result of Nexus and the Labour NECA complete budgetary mismanagement?

Let’s not pretend this was Covid, although it hasn’t helped the Transport arm of NECA was running at a huge deficits even in relative good times throughout the 2000s
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(21 Feb 2022, 2:12 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I haven't missed your point. My initial post was a direct response to Streetdeckfan's inference that all buses terminated at Gateshead/FLE/Heworth/Jarrow (or wherever); and people would be forced to change to the Metro regardless when, as seen in the examples I've listed subsequently, it really wasn't the case at all as it was possible to travel to Newcastle from your local bus stop without having to alight at any of the interchanges I've listed.

For the record, I do believe there should be a holistic approach to transport in the Tyne and Wear conurbation which involves all stakeholders working together to complement rather than compete against each other. As you correctly point out, this was the case prior to deregulation, where you had Buses and Metros working in unison. However, I'm not sure whether the frequency of the Metro has drastically changed since 1986 - the frequency is currently meant to be every 12 minutes on both routes, which gives a headway of around every 6 minutes on the core section between South Gosforth and Pelaw during the day with a few extra trains chucked during the peak. Like yourself, I was using buses in the 1980s and I can certainly remember having to wait what seemed like ages for a Metro after alighting at Gateshead from the 648/649 with my 10p Transfare in hand. The only example I can think of where a more frequent service may have ran was on the St James to North Shields section where you had the Blue Line - I'm happy to be wrong if you can prove otherwise.

While there may not have been 16 buses crossing the Tyne Bridge into Newcastle, there still would have been a fair few operated by Go North East (or whatever its NBC equivalent would have been known as today) heading into town. The 21 is probably the most frequent but, based upon the 1985 understanding of what might be considered to be a 'long-distance' service, the argument might be made that it should still cross the Tyne based upon that reasoning. The same goes for the X1. The only services that would be realistically affected are the 27/53/54/56/57/58/96/97 - which, I agree, probably shouldn't serve the city-centre, although I suspect there might be a lot of people upset if they didn't. Also, the Tyne Bridge isn't solely responsible for all the pollution which has prompted Newcastle Council to introduce a CAZ. Blackett Street is a well-known hotspot too, and the buses operating along that stretch of road are currently not too dissimilar than what would have been operating prior to deregulation.
During the day there were 3 Metros every 10 minutes, basically about every 3 minutes between South Gosforth and Hepworth. 
Yellow St James - Coast - City Centre - Heworth
Red     Benton - City Centre - Heworth
Green. Bank Foot - City Centre - South Shields
(22 Feb 2022, 2:01 am)RMF1254 wrote During the day there were 3 Metros every 10 minutes, basically about every 3 minutes between South Gosforth and Hepworth. 
Yellow St James - Coast - City Centre - Heworth
Red     Benton - City Centre - Heworth
Green. Bank Foot - City Centre - South Shields

Wasn't the red and blue line peak only? Similar to basically what are the Regent Centre / Monkseaton to Pelaw peaks now.
(22 Feb 2022, 7:28 am)Storx wrote Wasn't the red and blue line peak only? Similar to basically what are the Regent Centre / Monkseaton to Pelaw peaks now.

The red and blue lines ran all-day from around 0700-1800 when I checked a timetable from 1983 last night. So there was indeed a more frequent service than there is currently across the day, although the peak service now (Regent Centre/Monkseaton to Pelaw) is more or less the same. Also, the frequency on the yellow and green lines was every 10 minutes during the day, as opposed to every 12 minutes as it is currently.
(22 Feb 2022, 7:47 am)MurdnunoC wrote The red and blue lines ran all-day from around 0700-1800 when I checked a timetable from 1983 last night. So there was indeed a more frequent service than there is currently across the day, although the peak service now (Regent Centre/Monkseaton to Pelaw) is more or less the same. Also, the frequency on the yellow and green lines was every 10 minutes during the day, as opposed to every 12 minutes as it is currently.

Ah that's fair always thought they were just peak extra lines, knew they were every 10 minutes though which I believe they're wanting to do again.
(22 Feb 2022, 7:47 am)MurdnunoC wrote The red and blue lines ran all-day from around 0700-1800 when I checked a timetable from 1983 last night. So there was indeed a more frequent service than there is currently across the day, although the peak service now (Regent Centre/Monkseaton to Pelaw) is more or less the same. Also, the frequency on the yellow and green lines was every 10 minutes during the day, as opposed to every 12 minutes as it is currently.
Plus there wasn't the Airport or Sunderland extensions. Meaning the fleet was concentrated across a smaller geographical footprint as opposed to now, where the same fleet has a larger area to cover.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(22 Feb 2022, 8:44 am)Andreos1 wrote Plus there wasn't the Airport or Sunderland extensions. Meaning the fleet was concentrated across a smaller geographical footprint as opposed to now, where the same fleet has a larger area to cover.

Yep. And the fleet was relatively new back then and not plagued by the problems which 40-odd years of constant use present.

Perhaps a more useful comparison for a pre vs post deregulation level of service would be 1983 vs. 1991 (before the Airport extension opened) or 1983 vs 2002 (just after the Sunderland extension) was opened.
Details of the changes here - https://www.nexus.org.uk/consultation/it...h-tyneside

Looks like the planned 75/76 services to replace the 13 have been changed in favour of an extended 62.

Also on another note, good to see the 335 changed to incorporate Silverlink. Will provide lots of new links to there which don’t exist now.
(22 Feb 2022, 12:03 pm)Thomas12 wrote Details of the changes here - https://www.nexus.org.uk/consultation/it...h-tyneside

Looks like the planned 75/76 services to replace the 13 have been changed in favour of an extended 62.

Also on another note, good to see the 335 changed to incorporate Silverlink. Will provide lots of new links to there which don’t exist now.

Shame about the 75/76. The 71 will be Newcastle - Hillheads Estate and 62 will be Killingworth - Throckley? I can see that affecting reliability on the 62, long routes lead to delays.

Although the changes are not really positive its good to see not everything will be lost. Do we know if the 18, 32 and 35 are staying with Stagecoach? 6 and 7 are not up for tender, just Stagecoach have cut them? M6 is the Nexus 6 rather than Stagecoach 6 as I first thought, surprising to see it sticking around. 32/32A lost on evenings is a shame, and I wonder if GCT are keeping it or if Stagecoach will be running it every day?

Lots of big changes next month.
Its funny cus it was only a few months ago i suggested extending the 62,but, i fear its reliability (which is already struggling),will go down the pan
Kind Regards
Tez
(22 Feb 2022, 12:33 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Shame about the 75/76. The 71 will be Newcastle - Hillheads Estate and 62 will be Killingworth - Throckley? I can see that affecting reliability on the 62, long routes lead to delays.

Although the changes are not really positive its good to see not everything will be lost. Do we know if the 18, 32 and 35 are staying with Stagecoach? 6 and 7 are not up for tender, just Stagecoach have cut them? M6 is the Nexus 6 rather than Stagecoach 6 as I first thought, surprising to see it sticking around. 32/32A lost on evenings is a shame, and I wonder if GCT are keeping it or if Stagecoach will be running it every day?

Lots of big changes next month.

Yeah I think the 6/7 are staying with Stagecoach with some subsidy for the amended route. 

No idea about the others - I think we'll find out next week.
I actually like the sound of this 317,means 1 direct bus to my friends house ,he lives in the Royal Quays
Kind Regards
Tez
(22 Feb 2022, 4:10 pm)Train8261 wrote 53 going back into the Cobalt is a good idea

Not entirely sure what the 46A is about

It's replacing the 33 to Hollywood Avenue.
There has long been a campaign in Walbottle, Newburn and Throckley for a Stagecoach link to West Denton Shops and the Outer West Customer Service Centre. The extension of the 62 finally provides that and offers much better links than the 71 did. Really positive change.
I deffo think they need a servive to take some pressure off the 62/63,especially with the 62 being extended to Throckley
Kind Regards
Tez
I'm guessing the 75/76 was awarded to GCT or GNE, but GCT has the 13 so don't know why Stagecoach has decided now to extend the 62. Stagecoach look to be doing remarkably well, but Go North East is a much better operator.

Do we know if 684/685 ticket acceptance might be forthcoming anytime soon? Just with the big changes next month, sorry to be repetitive.
(22 Feb 2022, 5:53 pm)V514DFT wrote I deffo think they need a servive to take some pressure off the 62/63,especially with the 62 being extended to Throckley

I guess the X63 does this for the eastern section of the route.

(22 Feb 2022, 6:14 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote I'm guessing the 75/76 was awarded to GCT or GNE, but GCT has the 13 so don't know why Stagecoach has decided now to extend the 62. Stagecoach look to be doing remarkably well, but Go North East is a much better operator.

Do we know if 684/685 ticket acceptance might be forthcoming anytime soon? Just with the big changes next month, sorry to be repetitive.

Nexus are paying for the extension of the 62 though, so it’s not a commercial decision by Stagecoach.
(22 Feb 2022, 6:22 pm)Thomas12 wrote I guess the X63 does this for the eastern section of the route.

Nexus are paying for the extension of the 62 though, so it’s not a commercial decision by Stagecoach.

Good point, sorry. Just odd it hasn't been done before now. Another service I can't use, but pleased to see its a good result for Walbottle, Newburn and Throckley (although not the best result as it won't be very reliable with running all the way to Killingworth).
(22 Feb 2022, 6:38 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Good point, sorry. Just odd it hasn't been done before now. Another service I can't use, but pleased to see its a good result for Walbottle, Newburn and Throckley (although not the best result as it won't be very reliable with running all the way to Killingworth).

Yeah I can see reliability suffering.

Although isn’t the 13 only hourly at the minute? If so I wonder if the 62 will only be extended to Throckley once an hour?
(22 Feb 2022, 6:50 pm)Thomas12 wrote Yeah I can see reliability suffering.

Although isn’t the 13 only hourly at the minute? If so I wonder if the 62 will only be extended to Throckley once an hour?

Have a feeling it has to be every 30 minutes for the times at least, it only takes roughly 20 mins to do the loop. So if it was hourly it would have to stand around for 30 mins doing nothing so it wouldn't really work.