Menu

Pages (17)    19 10 1117   
Chris 1   09 Mar 2022, 12:52 pm
(09 Mar 2022, 12:41 pm)peter wrote Looking at the article you linked to, Martijn says 'there would be a lot of work to do on the final plans...Chester le Street depot could be part of that.' The article says that the company 'appeared to refute any suggestion that the depot would close' but to me the quotes provided don't say that explicitly...just that nothing's been finalised yet.

"Could be part of it"  The use of "could" leaves the door open imo, though I sincerely hope not.  If nothing else over the years, GNE have consistently demonstrated that they're not afraid to change plans or strategies. 

Hell, they're selling solos with the paint still wet!
Adrian   09 Mar 2022, 12:58 pm
(09 Mar 2022, 12:41 pm)peter wrote Looking at the article you linked to, Martijn says 'there would be a lot of work to do on the final plans...Chester le Street depot could be part of that.' The article says that the company 'appeared to refute any suggestion that the depot would close' but to me the quotes provided don't say that explicitly...just that nothing's been finalised yet.

The article also states (4th paragraph) that "The company has since responded to the claims, refuting any suggestion that there are plans to close the site which has been open since 1912"

Which appears to be in conflict with the quote you've pulled from the article, but I'd say still amounts to a ruling out. As you say though, plans can change, but I'd suggest changing them so soon after refuting something would not go down well with the workforce. Political suicide, you might say...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
peter   09 Mar 2022, 1:06 pm
(09 Mar 2022, 12:58 pm)Adrian wrote The article also states (4th paragraph) that "The company has since responded to the claims, refuting any suggestion that there are plans to close the site which has been open since 1912"

Which appears to be in conflict with the quote you've pulled from the article, but I'd say still amounts to a ruling out. As you say though, plans can change, but I'd suggest changing them so soon after refuting something would not go down well with the workforce. Political suicide, you might say...

The article is a bit unclear really, because at one point it says they have refuted, another point it says they appeared to refute and the quotes provided don't outright say it won't close just that it could be part of of ZEBRA plans...unless there are other quotes not included I'd say the idea of it being refuted only really come from the author of the article Jim Scott - because saying there's a lot of work to do to finalise the plans and that Chester could be part of it, personally, I don't see as ruling out, just that nothing's been finalised - which is fair enough as the bid hasn't even been confirmed successful yet.
Drifter60   09 Mar 2022, 1:56 pm
Well I’m not surprised the Peterlee depot is going, although I always thought they could have utilised it more. At one time you could have some X9/X10 duties from Peterlee - a good halfway point on the route - and the 55 too, reducing light running, maybe even the 60/61 routes too.

When Peterlee got the 65, it seemed to be more a case of mitigating the loss of the 62/X6 cycle to Deptford really. As otherwise Peterlee is left with just the 201, 206, 209/210 and 62A. Which would have been a big PVR decrease for the depot. And whilst yes the 65 route is probably closer to Peterlee than Deptford or Chester-le-Street, I don’t think it’s huge difference depending on where changeovers happen at and of course the route has existed for many years when there wasn’t a depot on route.

But I believe the majority of Peterlee’s routes are DCC contracted? So I do wonder if GNE plan on getting rid of some of these contracts? I can’t see how it’s feasible to run the 209/210 from anywhere else? Driver changeovers, and the circular route doesn’t lend itself to merged into other services and it’s a pretty limited timetable as it is now anyway. 206 could went back into the 55 route but I can’t see the 55 lasting either. Perhaps the 201 survives via some of extension to the X6? Nice direct worker links from Seaham too.

(09 Mar 2022, 10:13 am)F114TML wrote Oh yes. Closed in the 80s. Tbf at the time there were quite a few routes in Murton and Seaham, which lasted until even the mid-2000s I think, then they were merged into the 60 and 61 (and dad still refuses to believe the 152 doesn't run any more).

Where was the Murton depot at exactly? I wasn’t around in the 80s!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
F114TML   09 Mar 2022, 2:29 pm
I was always under the impression that the 201/206/209/210/62A are commercial routes. In the past they seem to have played around with them almost at free will - they tend to say if a change is due to the contract.

(09 Mar 2022, 1:56 pm)Drifter60 wrote I can’t see how it’s feasible to run the 209/210 from anywhere else? Driver changeovers, and the circular route doesn’t lend itself to merged into other services and it’s a pretty limited timetable as it is now anyway. 206 could went back into the 55 route but I can’t see the 55 lasting either. Perhaps the 201 survives via some of extension to the X6? Nice direct worker links from Seaham too.
I wonder if they'll go back to being an end-to-end route like it was in 2013 - an arrangement that lasted all of 10 months (IMO didn't really help that the first bus into Peterlee arrived after 9), or if they'll split them at Horden Hall, so, for example, the 209 does Peterlee - Crawford Avenue - Horden Hall and back, and the 210 does Peterlee - Horden - Horden Hall and back.

(09 Mar 2022, 1:56 pm)Drifter60 wrote Where was the Murton depot at exactly? I wasn’t around in the 80s!
I don't know for sure but I have a feeling it was round the back of Fairfield Grove.
More recently, that plot's been a depot for a coach company, and apparently is now going to be houses (big surprise).
Storx   09 Mar 2022, 5:12 pm
(09 Mar 2022, 12:58 pm)Adrian wrote The article also states (4th paragraph) that "The company has since responded to the claims, refuting any suggestion that there are plans to close the site which has been open since 1912"

That's not a quote that, it's just summarising by the Northern Echo. Only the bottom bit seems to be a quote and they've read it as that.

Personally reading that it suggests there's plans which involves Chester Le Street's depot but not that particular that depot. There's been rumours of a Washington/Chester Le Street super depot for over a decade and it still wouldn't surprise if there's still not plans floating around for one. It's just a matter of time imo whether that's this year or 10 years time as both depots are old and both could be sold for a good sum no doubt paying for the new depot pretty much if it's somewhere like the rumoured Drum Ind. Estate.
Jimmi   09 Mar 2022, 6:09 pm
(09 Mar 2022, 2:29 pm)F114TML wrote I was always under the impression that the 201/206/209/210/62A are commercial routes. In the past they seem to have played around with them almost at free will - they tend to say if a change is due to the contract.

I wonder if they'll go back to being an end-to-end route like it was in 2013 - an arrangement that lasted all of 10 months (IMO didn't really help that the first bus into Peterlee arrived after 9), or if they'll split them at Horden Hall, so, for example, the 209 does Peterlee - Crawford Avenue - Horden Hall and back, and the 210 does Peterlee - Horden - Horden Hall and back.

I don't know for sure but I have a feeling it was round the back of Fairfield Grove.
More recently, that plot's been a depot for a coach company, and apparently is now going to be houses (big surprise).
I *think* 201 & 209/210 are supported along with the evening 239 service (open to corrections).
L469 YVK   09 Mar 2022, 8:49 pm
(09 Mar 2022, 5:12 pm)Storx wrote That's not a quote that, it's just summarising by the Northern Echo. Only the bottom bit seems to be a quote and they've read it as that.

Personally reading that it suggests there's plans which involves Chester Le Street's depot but not that particular that depot. There's been rumours of a Washington/Chester Le Street super depot for over a decade and it still wouldn't surprise if there's still not plans floating around for one. It's just a matter of time imo whether that's this year or 10 years time as both depots are old and both could be sold for a good sum no doubt paying for the new depot pretty much if it's somewhere like the rumoured Drum Ind. Estate.
I can see either the following happening:

Option 1 - New depot to replace Washington & Chester Le Street. 21 also operates out of that depot.

Option 2 - CLS closes with 21 to Riverside then rest split between Consett & Washington. Perhaps a bait room / drivers office opened somewhere in Chester Le Street.

Option 3 - CLS remains open but 21 moves to Riverside. In return, CLS get the 6 from Riverside (maybe interworking with the 25) & X30/X31 (if standalone from X70's by then) from Consett. The pitfall of this would obviously be remote changeovers needed at Stanley but at least the 6 could interwork with the 25 if the Stanley  to Lanchester part was replaced by something else as well as the Langley Park to CLS part of the 25.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
nova347   09 Mar 2022, 9:07 pm
(09 Mar 2022, 8:49 pm)L469 YVK wrote I can see either the following happening:

Option 1 - New depot to replace Washington & Chester Le Street. 21 also operates out of that depot.

Option 2 - CLS closes with 21 to Riverside then rest split between Consett & Washington. Perhaps a bait room / drivers office opened somewhere in Chester Le Street.

Option 3 - CLS remains open but 21 moves to Riverside. In return, CLS get the 6 from Riverside (maybe interworking with the 25) & X30/X31 (if standalone from X70's by then) from Consett. The pitfall of this would obviously be remote changeovers needed at Stanley but at least the 6 could interwork with the 25 if the Stanley  to Lanchester part was replaced by something else as well as the Langley Park to CLS part of the 25.
If CLS closes then I see the X21/21/25 moving to Riverside.
8 to Consett / Washington / Depford
34 - Washington or combine the 34 & 82 (Little Pinks) services together / Make the 82 & 34 interwork just extend the 34 to Birtley.
71 - Depford (Extend to Sunderland Interchange using old 238 route.
28/28A/28B/28S - Washington/Riverside
40AD/40D/41D - Consett
Move the 700's to Washington 
Move what School runs to Washington 
91's (that CLS operates) to Washington.

But then again if CLS does close and services do move to Washington then Washington will need a new Depot as well as it's tiny.
Clifton Hignett III   09 Mar 2022, 9:18 pm
Speaking of depot closures....

It has come to the attention of the forum's favourite correspondent in North Korea that a local bus depot here in downtown Pyongyang is under threat of closure!

The local press don't want to publish the story as it may demoralise the workforce and place undue stress on the regime of our Dear Leaders. However, yours truly, Clifton Hignett III will not cower or kowtow and deliver the facts as quickly as they appear.

This is the news!!
Ambassador   09 Mar 2022, 10:33 pm
They did own or at least have first call on a site at Drum Industrial Estate some years back, I imagine this may have expired but now but you never know.

Picktree isn’t listed so they could demolish it and sell the land or reconfigure it accordingly (probably at greater cost)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
cbma06   10 Mar 2022, 8:09 am
(09 Mar 2022, 10:33 pm)Ambassador wrote They did own or at least have first call on a site at Drum Industrial Estate some years back, I imagine this may have expired but now but you never know.

Picktree isn’t listed so they could demolish it and sell the land or reconfigure it accordingly (probably at greater cost)

Could pull it down brick by brick and take it to beamish, what’s the connection between GNE and beamish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
MurdnunoC   10 Mar 2022, 8:20 am
(10 Mar 2022, 8:09 am)cbma06 wrote Could pull it down brick by brick and take it to beamish, what’s the connection between GNE and beamish?

Aside from the partnership which offers discounted admission and a regular bus service, I believe GNE provided some funding/sponsorship towards the new depot used to house and maintain the small fleet of buses stationed at the museum.

Whilst the depot isn't large, it is quite modern and, to be honest, looks quite out of place with its gleaming red-brick appearance. Needs to be more grotty to give it a genuine historical feel, in my opinion.
streetdeckfan   10 Mar 2022, 8:44 am
It's the depot really of such significant historic value that it deserves being saved though? The fact that it's not listed suggests not.

To me, there doesn't seem to be any architectural significance, it just looks like a generic early 20th century industrial building, and not a particularly well kept example at that!

Was the depot the first to do anything? Does it have any truly unique features inside?

It seems like, to me at least, there's no real reason to keep it, other than the fact that GNE have been there a while.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
MurdnunoC   10 Mar 2022, 9:13 am
(10 Mar 2022, 8:44 am)streetdeckfan wrote It's the depot really of such significant historic value that it deserves being saved though? The fact that it's not listed suggests not.

To me, there doesn't seem to be any architectural significance, it just looks like a generic early 20th century industrial building, and not a particularly well kept example at that!

Was the depot the first to do anything? Does it have any truly unique features inside?

It seems like, to me at least, there's no real reason to keep it, other than the fact that GNE have been there a while.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Sadly, for some on here, that will be reason enough.

But, like yourself, the building does nothing for me. It's certainly not a shining example of Edwardian architecture worthy of saving.
MurdnunoC   10 Mar 2022, 1:38 pm
.jpg
20220310_132710.jpg (Size 3.71 MB Downloads 24)

.jpg
20220310_132803.jpg (Size 4.22 MB Downloads 27)

I'm afraid that will be the outcome if Chester depot closes.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
cbma06   10 Mar 2022, 1:56 pm
(10 Mar 2022, 1:38 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I'm afraid that will be the outcome if Chester depot closes.

It would probably get sold to housing developer, good prime site and northern would get more money selling the site to housing developers.

Unless a care home gets built for the GNE management when reaching retirement age (Dan get ya name down quickly [emoji23])

Rapidsnap   10 Mar 2022, 5:29 pm
Think only the offices at the front are original. The rest of the depot looks like it has been rebuilt over the 60s and 70s.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Michael   11 Mar 2022, 9:01 am
PB0003954/854
Cancellation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 86D (86D) TOFT HILL, SPORTSMANS ARMS BISHOP AUCKLAND BUS STATION
Date received25 Feb 2022
Effective date
End date

Any idea when this will happen, VOSA has missed half of the info off.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Jimmi   11 Mar 2022, 10:12 am
(11 Mar 2022, 9:01 am)Michael wrote PB0003954/854
Cancellation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 86D (86D) TOFT HILL, SPORTSMANS ARMS BISHOP AUCKLAND BUS STATION
Date received25 Feb 2022
Effective date
End date

Any idea when this will happen, VOSA has missed half of the info off.
I'm going to hazard a guess April 10th as Arriva have cancelled their 86 journeys from said date (only the Trindon to Bishop Auckland College journeys remain).
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Omega54   11 Mar 2022, 10:17 am
(11 Mar 2022, 10:12 am)Jimmi wrote I'm going to hazard a guess April 10th as Arriva have cancelled their 86 journeys from said date (only the Trindon to Bishop Auckland College journeys remain).
Would it not go into a Durham County Council Contract, for another operator to run?
Michael   11 Mar 2022, 10:20 am
(11 Mar 2022, 10:12 am)Jimmi wrote I'm going to hazard a guess April 10th as Arriva have cancelled their 86 journeys from said date (only the Trindon to Bishop Auckland College journeys remain).

Ah right, thanks for the information Jimmi

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Jimmi   11 Mar 2022, 10:23 am
(11 Mar 2022, 10:17 am)Omega54 wrote Would it not go into a Durham County Council Contract, for another operator to run?
I have a feeling that's what's going to happen, either a direct replacement or revisions to existing services in the area.
RobinHood   11 Mar 2022, 7:50 pm
Durham are expected to re-tender the whole service.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
DaveFromUpNorth   11 Mar 2022, 10:10 pm
Interesting discussion about depot mergers and closures

A vital piece of information you all missed

CLS houses National Express division of GNE

Reflecting on the thoughts

Merging Washington and CLS would be the better theory but with modern depots these days it is outdoor depots rather than indoors

Sites like Follingsby Park for road connections onto A195 to Washington A194 to A1 to CLS junction seems quite a plausible suggestion

National Holidays had a depot in washington before they went bust but rebranded

If not Follingsby as a location Drum Industrial Estate A693 straight onto A1

Personally that a little more difficult to navigate to get to Washington really

Modern technology these days and timetable planning when mentioned about Seaham and Peterlee services can be quite clever if you change the method so it doesn't run empty or light run a service back so it's closer to a depot

Having indoor depots these days are major risk hazards in terms of if there is a fire the whole fleet could be lost if it is outside you can manouve and move vehicles easily

You also have too take into account special deals and business rates that local authorities are providing deals meaning landowners if you sign a 20yr deal etc so location is very important when planning for a new building

But remember the STAGECOACH and National Express merger is not going ahead so National Express more than likely will stay with GNE
Storx   12 Mar 2022, 8:37 am
(11 Mar 2022, 10:10 pm)DaveFromUpNorth wrote Interesting discussion about depot mergers and closures

Merging Washington and CLS would be the better theory but with modern depots these days it is outdoor depots rather than indoors

Sites like Follingsby Park for road connections onto A195 to Washington A194 to A1 to CLS junction seems quite a plausible suggestion

Modern technology these days and timetable planning when mentioned about Seaham and Peterlee services can be quite clever if you change the method so it doesn't run empty or light run a service back so it's closer to a depot

Having indoor depots these days are major risk hazards in terms of if there is a fire the whole fleet could be lost  if it is outside you can manouve and move vehicles easily

You also have too take into account special deals  and business rates that local authorities are providing deals meaning landowners if you sign a 20yr deal etc so location is very important when planning for a new building

But remember the STAGECOACH and National Express merger is not going ahead so National  Express more than likely will stay with GNE

Drum would be a much better place than Follingsby which is miles away from every route.

If it was based at Drum drivers would never go anywhere near Washington a the start/end of the day as you could do the Washington routes it in the following places

50 - CLS
82 - Barley Mow
84/85 - Rickleton
4/X1 - Shiney Row / Bournmoor

Follingsby is awkward for all the CLS routes imo.
Adrian   12 Mar 2022, 9:58 am
(11 Mar 2022, 10:10 pm)DaveFromUpNorth wrote Interesting discussion about depot mergers and closures

Having indoor depots these days are major risk hazards in terms of if there is a fire the whole fleet could be lost  if it is outside you can manouve and move vehicles easily

You also have too take into account special deals  and business rates that local authorities are providing deals meaning landowners if you sign a 20yr deal etc so location is very important when planning for a new building

But remember the STAGECOACH and National Express merger is not going ahead so National  Express more than likely will stay with GNE

I don't think the NX operation at Chester-le-Street is as vital as you're assuming it is.

National Express are still running a reduced network, and to be honest, the likelihood of that recovering to pre-pandemic levels is slim to none. As with most things, NX are extremely slow to react and change, and whilst they've been napping, there's now increased competition with the rise of FlixBus in the UK and Lumo on the East Coast. On the latter, looking at fares, and I can get to London by train for as little as £3.10 more than the NX fare. 

Even if it was a hugely popular and growth area, there's nothing stopping them lifting and shifting it to operate out of another base.

Land at Follingsby is likely to be at a premium now that the Amazon sites are up and running. The only brownfield site left there is the former rail freight depot, which is likely to be earmarked for a new Metro station plus Park & Ride site.

The National Holidays depot you mention (which was on Stephenson Road) was little more than a small enclosed car park, which I think even if it was available, would be unsuitable. There is however the brownfield site next to it (formerly the Northumbria Centre), which has been vacant for 7+ years.

I think you're right about taking into account special deals though, and imo that'll be the problem with anywhere in Washington. Sunderland City Council are pulling out all the stops to get people into the development sites in and around the City Centre, so there's always the risk Washington becomes the afterthought.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
busmanT   12 Mar 2022, 10:11 am

Given the current finances of the bus industry, I can't see any operator investing in new build depots unless there is a very big financial saving from closing existing sites.

GNE, in particular, have significantly reduced services, and lost contracts, since the end of 2019 reducing the number of vehicles required so must have spare depot capacity. 
The 16th February 2020 fleet allocation showed the fleet stood at 705 vehicles, less 37 out of service/driver training/disposal, leaving 668 as the buses available to cover the services. 
The latest fleet allocation on the website (19th December 2021) has the fleet standing at 648 vehicles, less 76 out of service/training/disposal leaving 572 as the buses available to cover service. That's 96 fewer vehicles (14.4% reduction) and the North Tyneside reductions have still to come!

If you are building a new depot to accommodate electric vehicles, I suspect that it needs to be close to the routes that will use electric buses so as to avoid excessive dead mileage.

.jpg
GNE fleet comparison.jpg (Size 54.48 KB Downloads 23)
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Malarkey   12 Mar 2022, 4:26 pm
What about using land on the IAMP at Washington for a potential depot, You could then potentially merge Deptford/Washington/Percy Main and Peterlee together thus creating a "Hyper Depot" of sorts with Chester-Le-Street ops being split between Consett & Riverside.

It would mean you'd have 3 Major Depots in the Region with Hexham/Saltmeadows as they are, I think what operators also need to take into account with Park & Rides being set up such as the one at "The Angel" I am sure I read within the document for strategy moving forward was for such services to use Articulated Buses that there is sufficient space for these to be kept, then you have the likes of Go North East investing in Electric Buses moving forward so with that has to come with investment in new depot infrastructure.
Omega54   12 Mar 2022, 4:53 pm
(12 Mar 2022, 4:26 pm)Malarkey wrote What about using land on the IAMP at Washington for a potential depot, You could then potentially merge Deptford/Washington/Percy Main and Peterlee together thus creating a "Hyper Depot" of sorts with Chester-Le-Street ops being split between Consett & Riverside.

It would mean you'd have 3 Major Depots in the Region with Hexham/Saltmeadows as they are, I think what operators also need to take into account with Park & Rides being set up such as the one at "The Angel" I am sure I read within the document for strategy moving forward was for such services to use Articulated Buses that there is sufficient space for these to be kept, then you have the likes of Go North East investing in Electric Buses moving forward so with that has to come with investment in new depot infrastructure.
For the washington thing, It would be best on Wessington Way, so they have access to the 1231 and A19.However it goes to the Staff Shuttle's for Sunderland would be a massive pain around rush hour. But I don't know how many drivers start at 5pm.

Not sure about the morning rush hour. Also for Artic Buses, there's no service where they could be used except to my knowledge the 56/58/X66.
Pages (17)    19 10 1117