You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: A-Line
(27 Dec 2021, 2:47 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Hub and spoke makes sense in some cases, the city centre is the centre and is therefore naturally a hub. Many services need to pass through, such as for Byker/Walker/Wallsend and onto Cobalt and Killingworth. Equally buses need to serve all of the different areas, terminating in the city centre. However Blaydon not having a service is an odd thing as the 6/7/8 all serve Scotswood Road and the 6 and 7 continue to Metrocentre, Stagecoach and GNE both serving Metrocentre and Scotswood Road and I only realised from the 792 and 941 that Blaydon is quite close to Cowgate, Fenham, Denton Burn etc and could be reached from West Denton or Westerhope perhaps. There obviously mustn't be the demand, but it's a real shame as Westerhope is quickly reached from as far away as South Shields and Hexham, but only the 74 utilises the link.

I would love to see West Newcastle linked to Gateshead and this could be a good opportunity for A-line and GNE to expand and enter new territory. Henry Cooper should run a service from Kingston Park into North Tyneside, maybe Wallsend or Tynemouth, via Fenham.

I don't think there needs to be as many buses through the city centre as there is - following each other east to west or vice versa.

I don't think any operator would know what the demand from the west end to Blaydon or the metro centre is to be honest.
Unless they knock on people's windows whilst they're stuck in the widening works or stand on slip-roads off the Western Bypass and speak to all of the drivers making those trips to find out where they started their journey and where they're ending it.
Not sure many people would prefer to make the journey to those places from various parts of the west end by bus (in to and out of the town) for a trip that could be done a lot quicker via other means.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(28 Dec 2021, 2:17 pm)Andreos1 wrote I don't think there needs to be as many buses through the city centre as there is - following each other east to west or vice versa.

I don't think any operator would know what the demand from the west end to Blaydon or the metro centre is to be honest.
Unless they knock on people's windows whilst they're stuck in the widening works or stand on slip-roads off the Western Bypass and speak to all of the drivers making those trips to find out where they started their journey and where they're ending it.
Not sure many people would prefer to make the journey to those places from various parts of the west end by bus (in to and out of the town) for a trip that could be done a lot quicker via other means.

Not many buses pass through really, most start/finish in the city centre. 10/11, 12, 22, 30/31, 32/32A, 36, 39/40 and 62/63 are the only services I can think of which pass through. I'm not sure what could be done to reduce the number of services passing through. Direct links are good, and this requires buses serving the city centre. 6/7 serve local communities without going into town, and perhaps a new service from West Newcastle to Blaydon could work (it works for the Metrocentre) and could be a GNE or A-line service, maybe extended to Rowlands Gill or Consett in the future.
I could get the 941 to link with the 12/12A to Blaydon and Newcastle. A-line is a good operator to use. Hopefully the 12/12A will always exist in case the 684 is withdrawn in the future. When are the Hexham contracts going to be awarded?
(28 Feb 2022, 6:47 pm)Omega54 wrote Could A-Line Purchase some of GNE's Euro 6 Scania's so they can offer work in Newcastle city centre.

That's a good idea actually. A-Line is a good operator and they should get more work, they have supported GNE in recent months so could probably get a good deal.
(21 Mar 2022, 5:50 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Just seen Mercedes-Benz Tourismo BF16 XPN on the 792 service to Blackhall Mill.

Can anyone tell me who owns this coach?

Thank you.
It's Aline  
Newish coach, said on twitter to watch out for day trips coming soon.
(28 Feb 2022, 6:55 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote That's a good idea actually. A-Line is a good operator and they should get more work, they have supported GNE in recent months so could probably get a good deal.
I agree with this, they could also work some contracts which have a PVR of 2 or 3. They probs could get 2, 3 maybe 4 off GNE for a good deal like you say, if they have contracted work in place
(15 May 2022, 6:20 pm)Aaron21 wrote They still cover services. Just haven't had any for a while
GNE seems to need plenty of work covered. Wonder if they've stopped handing it out to other companies.
Site Administrator
A-Line
(15 May 2022, 6:30 pm)Unber43 wrote GNE seems to need plenty of work covered. Wonder if they've stopped handing it out to other companies.

A-line have a high VOR at the moment and don’t have enough buses to operate GNE work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(15 May 2022, 6:41 pm)Dan wrote A-line have a high VOR at the moment and don’t have enough buses to operate GNE work.

Ah thanks Dan!
(15 May 2022, 6:41 pm)Dan wrote A-line have a high VOR at the moment and don’t have enough buses to operate GNE work.

Really? They have a few buses around, particularly available on weekends. Which buses are currently VOR?

Are Stanley Travel covering any 16/16A or 78 journeys this week?
(16 May 2022, 12:21 am)OrangeArrow49 wrote Really? They have a few buses around, particularly available on weekends. Which buses are currently VOR?

Are Stanley Travel covering any 16/16A or 78 journeys this week?
Yes - I saw a Stanley travel gemini (I think) on the 16A, earlier.
Does anyone know if A-Line will likely be keeping the 792 in September?

Go North East have got the 392 and 794 and 941 (last trip, currently GCT), from the service changes in a couple of weeks even though I thought it would be September for those contracts.
(10 Jul 2022, 12:20 am)OrangeArrow49 wrote Does anyone know if A-Line will likely be keeping the 792 in September?

Go North East have got the 392 and 794 and 941 (last trip, currently GCT), from the service changes in a couple of weeks even though I thought it would be September for those contracts.
They also lost the 92.
(24 Aug 2022, 10:10 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Good to see Nexus day tickets will be valid on A-Line from next week.

Sure Nexus Day Rovers have always been valid on A-Line. Certainly used day rovers plenty of times in the past when they ran a few routes.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(02 Sep 2022, 10:20 pm)Rapidsnap wrote Sure Nexus Day Rovers have always been valid on A-Line. Certainly used day rovers plenty of times in the past when they ran a few routes.

I beleive he's referring to the new Nexus day tickets for the ever growing list of secured services. A-line have/had shares in Network One and have accepted those tickets for a very long time.
(02 Sep 2022, 10:55 pm)omnicity4659 wrote I beleive he's referring to the new Nexus day tickets for the ever growing list of secured services. A-line have/had shares in Network One and have accepted those tickets for a very long time.

|But i assume these arnt valid on GNE, or Arriva secured services though??