You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

South West Bus Operations

RE: South West Bus Operations
Bus operator, First South West, today (10 July 2015) signed an agreement to sell its operations in South Devon to Stagecoach. On completion of the sale, expected to conclude 6 September 2015, the Plymouth bus depot, outstations at Tavistock and Dartmouth and around 250 staff will transfer to Stagecoach.

Alex Carter, Managing Director of First South West, said: “Despite the focus on services and the hard work of everyone in South Devon, unfortunately the business has underperformed for a number of years. I’m pleased we’ve negotiated an agreement to sell and therefore help protect jobs and key services.

“The sale does not, in any way, reflect the commitment of our employees in the area who have worked tirelessly to provide the best possible service to local communities. I’d like to thank them for their hard work and loyalty over the years. We will be fully supporting them as they transfer to their new employer.

““We’re proud to have served the South Devon community and would like to thank passengers for travelling with First South West over the years. I can assure our customers that we will continue to run services as normal up to and including 5 September and will ensure a smooth transition.”
With the takeover of First Plymouth by Stagecoach a week away, the Plymouth Park & Ride fleet of vehicles have been formally allocated Stagecoach fleet numbers ahead of their 6 months plus loan spell.

Trident/East Lancs Myllennium Loyne
32757 WA54OLP 18531
32760 WA54OLR 18532
32761 WJ55CRX 18533
32762 WJ55CRZ 18534

Dennis Trident/Plaxton President
33172 LR02LYP 18535

Alexander Dennis Enviro400
33420 WA08MVE 19707
33421 WA08MVF 19708
33422 WA08MVG 19709

Volvo B7L/Wright Eclipse Metro
60895 YJ51RFE 21096
60910 YJ51RFK 21097
60917 YG02DKV 21098
60918 YG02DLJ 21099

Information thanks to Steve Mutly on 'Stagecoach Enthusiasts' Facebook Group
All of First Bristol's Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns have been withdrawn following the necessity for vehicles to be DDA compliant, none of which are. I understand some are R-reg, similar to Go North East's 4837-4855 in terms of age, so I imagine they've been withdrawn from the fleet based on their age, with First keeping them on until the final days of non-DDA compliancy. Not sure what has replaced them.
Outside ADL Falkirk this morning were 3 two-tone green deccas for Go Ahead Group, same as recent Southen Vectis deliveries. The third was arriving back from a road test and I couldn't confirm the registration. The other two were registered:

HJ16HSG
HJ16HSN

No vinals have yet been applied so no confirmation of fleet numbers i'm afraid.
(11 Apr 2016, 11:50 am)Ebs wrote Outside ADL Falkirk this morning were 3 two-tone green deccas for Go Ahead Group, same as recent Southen Vectis deliveries. The third was arriving back from a road test and I couldn't confirm the registration. The other two were registered:

HJ16HSG
HJ16HSN

No vinals have yet been applied so no confirmation of fleet numbers i'm afraid.

ADL Falkirk had HJ16HSO parked outside this evening.
Site Administrator
(20 Apr 2016, 7:59 pm)Ebs wrote ADL Falkirk had HJ16HSO parked outside this evening.

Cheers for the update!
(15 Jul 2016, 6:13 am)South Tyne Lad wrote Entered service around Tuesday I think.

The next picture to the left was taken on July 8th which was last Friday - no indication of that been its first day in service, though.
(06 Feb 2022, 7:34 pm)Andreos1 wrote https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/199012...s-service/

Multi million pound PLC bus operator decides there's not enough money in it. So old man funds bus route.
If there's anything that sums up bus operations currently, I think this sums it up in a nutshell.

Sadly it sounds as close to 'levelling up' as we're likely to see in most parts of England!
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
anyone want to hazerd a guess at what he had to sump up? And do you think he gets back the fares that the bus takes?
(06 Feb 2022, 7:34 pm)Andreos1 wrote https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/199012...s-service/

Multi million pound PLC bus operator decides there's not enough money in it. So old man funds bus route.
If there's anything that sums up bus operations currently, I think this sums it up in a nutshell.
https://tribunemag.co.uk/2022/02/alan-wi...egulation/

First have decided to fund it themselves.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(04 Aug 2022, 4:25 pm)missedbus wrote Further to this, a buyer has not been found and the operation will close tonight.
Morebus has registered a basic service over the core of its routes.
It turns out they were in negotiations prior to entering administration with a larger group.
(07 Aug 2022, 9:47 am)citaro5284 wrote Roger's take on Yellow Buses

https://busandtrainuser.com/2022/08/07/m...urnemouth/
I hope everyone else chuckled at his take like I did.

Why the attacks on LA run bus routes, when it was the free market that ruined it?
Why the fascination (almost obsession) with GAG taking the routes over short term and his insistence on them being the right party previously?

There’s no issue of anti-competitive monopolistic behaviour when the threat of competition in an open contestable market is ever present. And so it proved.
Quite...
(07 Aug 2022, 10:43 am)Andreos1 wrote I hope everyone else chuckled at his take like I did.

Why the attacks on LA run bus routes, when it was the free market that ruined it?
Why the fascination (almost obsession) with GAG taking the routes over short term and his insistence on them being the right party previously?
Im surprised he didn't blame the failure on not having branded routes.
(07 Aug 2022, 10:43 am)Andreos1 wrote I hope everyone else chuckled at his take like I did.

Quite...

You totally missed the bit that he was actually bigging himself up there Tongue He was MD of Brighton Buses when it happened, it's the same reason for his bias towards GoAhead which to be fair most would if it was your ex employer and they're paying your pension which is no doubt more than the bus drivers working in the North East wanting a raise ironically.
(07 Aug 2022, 1:31 pm)Storx wrote You totally missed the bit that he was actually bigging himself up there Tongue He was MD of Brighton Buses when it happened, it's the same reason for his bias towards GoAhead which to be fair most would if it was your ex employer and they're paying your pension which is no doubt more than the bus drivers working in the North East wanting a raise ironically.
To be honest, I don't know why he does it. Do you write blogs praising the virtues of Managing Directors of your past employer? I don't know many who do to he honest... 
They're not going to give him his job back and they're not some famous celebrity crush, who is going to 'hook up with him' because of his constant line of compliments.