You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Disruptions and driver shortages

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages
(02 Aug 2022, 3:50 pm)Unber43 wrote Seems to be above 200 partly/full cancelled buses tomorrow, with mutliple (2 or more) in a row cancelled on 4, 20, X20

Consecutive journeys on the 4 and 20 have been covered.
Well my bus was 5 mins late so happy I will still be on time for work and £2 flat fare. Would rather it was a quid but hey ho...

On another note 5436 is bloody awful with rattles.
Interestingly there was a Stanley Travel decker working the X1 tonight. Think it might have been S3 STX.

GNE seem to be in complete disarray at the moment.

Charles
(03 Aug 2022, 6:45 pm)Charles41 wrote Interestingly there was a Stanley Travel decker working the X1 tonight. Think it might have been S3 STX.

Charles
Don't worry. Next lot of changes coming up will free some drivers so the X1 won't be cancelled anymore (this is sarcasm)
(03 Aug 2022, 6:45 pm)Charles41 wrote Interestingly there was a Stanley Travel decker working the X1 tonight. Think it might have been S3 STX.

Charles

To be fair, GNE have been sub-contracting some work out for ages now, to try and lessen the impact.

It's one of few things I'd give them credit for during all this disruption, as let's be honest, there's nothing forcing them to do it.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Mod note: To stop the same stream of discussion across three different threads, discussion around the Go North East: Minor Service Changes August 2022 has been split from this thread. You can find that discussion in it's new thread by clicking here.
Just seen this on the Stagecoach Cumbria Twitter:

#Carlisle  due  to staff failure  the 2007,2107.2207.and 2307 morton royal scot  and 2038,2138,2238 and 2338 harraby east 61 services will not run sorry

https://twitter.com/StagecoachCNL/status...1820886018

Staff failure?
.png stagecoach cumbria .png
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
After the shambles of a Saturday day out back in January, the folks tried again yesterday. 

They felt reassured that the driver shortage was not impacting on services. 
2 1/2 hours to get to Newcastle.

Some of that involved waiting for an X1 at The Galleries. They gave up waiting and decided to get on a 4 (bearing in mind they had got off one earlier and stood for quite a while), before heading to Newcastle via Heworth and the metro. 

Coming back was pretty naff too. 'waited, waited and waited' was the line used to describe the wait.

I don't think they're in any particular rush to try again.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Angel 21: 

The following full journeys will not operate 

From Newcastle: 10:53, 12:33, 18:02, 19:36.  
From Chester-le-Street to Newcastle:  10:49, 11:39, 18:50.
The following journeys will only run as far as Chester Le Street

From Newcastle: 12:43.
From Brandon: 09:07, 16:11.  
The following journeys will start at Chester Le Street

From Newcastle: 11:43.
From Brandon: 14:07.

Do you think GNE are being 100% honest here, or will there be more cancellations which never get put on the list?
(07 Aug 2022, 7:42 pm)Unber43 wrote Angel 21: 

Do you think GNE are being 100% honest here?

Yes.

Those are the journeys that, as of 2048 this evening, will probably not run for one reason or another. Why would they be anything less than 100% honest at this stage?
(07 Aug 2022, 7:48 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Yes.

Those are the journeys that, as of 2048 this evening, will probably not run for one reason or another. Why would they be anything less than 100% honest at this stage?
I meant do you think only these journeys don't run, or will the "larger gaps in the service 21" come out
(07 Aug 2022, 7:50 pm)Unber43 wrote I meant do you think only these journeys don't run, or will the "larger gaps in the service 21" come out

But you could have large gaps created tomorrow when service is out which are not created by a driver shortage.
(07 Aug 2022, 7:50 pm)Unber43 wrote I meant do you think only these journeys don't run, or will the "larger gaps in the service 21" come out

Why ask "Do you think GNE are being 100% honest here?" if you meant something else? 

This gimmick of sensationalising gaps in the service is growing a bit stale. Yes, there might be disruption to the service, and, yes, it is unacceptable if you're a regular user of the service. But, honestly, do you expect anything but disruption nowadays? It all gets a bit repetitive and there's only so many times you can say "Oh no, that's shocking. What cowboys!!!" before it gets boring.
(07 Aug 2022, 7:42 pm)Unber43 wrote Angel 21: 

Do you think GNE are being 100% honest here, or will there be more cancellations which never get put on the list?

When they're going to the effort of listing (sometimes hundreds) of cancelled journeys in advance every day, arguably tarnishing their reputation in the process, why do you think they'd start bullshitting people over a couple of extra 21 that may be missing?!

We already know that the list isn't updated frequently enough, either to add or remove journeys, but I really don't think that is dishonesty. More not having the capacity to do it.
(07 Aug 2022, 8:00 pm)Adrian wrote When they're going to the effort of listing (sometimes hundreds) of cancelled journeys in advance every day, arguably tarnishing their reputation in the process, why do you think they'd start bullshitting people over a couple of extra 21 that may be missing?!

We already know that the list isn't updated frequently enough, either to add or remove journeys, but I really don't think that is dishonesty. More not having the capacity to do it.
They update it at 9am, well normally anyway surely by them they would know the full list and be able to add more.
(07 Aug 2022, 8:02 pm)Unber43 wrote They update it at 9am, well normally anyway surely by them they would know the full list and be able to add more.

Stop being boring, move on with your life
(07 Aug 2022, 7:59 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Why ask "Do you think GNE are being 100% honest here?" if you meant something else? 

This gimmick of sensationalising gaps in the service is growing a bit stale. Yes, there might be disruption to the service, and, yes, it is unacceptable if you're a regular user of the service. But, honestly, do you expect anything but disruption nowadays? It all gets a bit repetitive and there's only so many times you can say "Oh no, that's shocking. What cowboys!!!" before it gets boring.
Yeah tbh I am sick of mentioning, there are 2 hour waits all over the place now. which is why I have stopped mentioning it, which is why I only mentioned recently I believe was after the changes as there should have been plenty of drivers. And when there was a 7 50's missing in a row.

If its growing a bit stale to us to see 2 hour waits I wonder how people who regularly use the X1,4,50 how they must feel
(07 Aug 2022, 8:06 pm)Unber43 wrote Yeah tbh I am sick of mentioning, there are 2 hour waits all over the place now. which is why I have stopped mentioning it, which is why I only mentioned recently I believe was after the changes as there should have been plenty of drivers. And when there was a 7 50's missing in a row.

If its growing a bit stale to us to see 2 hour waits I wonder how people who regularly use the X1,4,50 how they must feel

So the best way of not mentioning it is to mention it again?

To reiterate, stop being boring, move on with your life.
(07 Aug 2022, 8:08 pm)MurdnunoC wrote So the best way of not mentioning it is to mention it again?

To reiterate, stop being boring, move on with your life.

Whilst I may live under the strict and, possibly over zealous regime of North Korea, their sphere of influence does not extend to this forum.

Unber43 has the right to post what he wants, no matter how ridiculous or boring it may be.

Jog on
I've just noticed Arriva suspended the ENTIRE 5A Saturday service the weekend just gone and next weekend and only informed people on Friday. Top job that!
(08 Aug 2022, 9:34 am)DeltaMan wrote I've just noticed Arriva suspended the ENTIRE 5A Saturday service the weekend just gone and next weekend and only informed people on Friday. Top job that!

Timing of it is awful, but other than the frequency to Guisborough, I don't think anyone loses out from that happening. The slight difference of the 5A route in Guisborough is covered by the 28.

It's probably a more sensible move than having huge gaps in your timetable, like we've seen elsewhere.
(08 Aug 2022, 9:45 am)Adrian wrote Timing of it is awful, but other than the frequency to Guisborough, I don't think anyone loses out from that happening. The slight difference of the 5A route in Guisborough is covered by the 28.

It's probably a more sensible move than having huge gaps in your timetable, like we've seen elsewhere.
Agree. Awful timing, but the 5, 28 and X93 will have helped cover.
Alongside the teesflex in part.
(08 Aug 2022, 9:45 am)Adrian wrote Timing of it is awful, but other than the frequency to Guisborough, I don't think anyone loses out from that happening. The slight difference of the 5A route in Guisborough is covered by the 28.

(08 Aug 2022, 11:01 am)Andreos1 wrote Agree. Awful timing, but the 5, 28 and X93 will have helped cover.
Alongside the teesflex in part.

The 5A is also one of the poorer recovering services at Stockton depot - hence why it is one of the first to be pulled if staffing issues develop.
Saturday gone was effectively the weekend when all services in the Stockton area needed to run - the first Riverside Festival since 2019. Of course, ended up with a reduced service on the 7 but the staff on the ground tweaked things so that the 3 buses ran a 20 minute frequency rather than 15/15/30.
Stockton of course have additional resources to cover as of today - working all but 2 weekday am and 1 Saturday PM Durham-Middlesbrough-Durham trip on the X12 (Durham retain the first journey from Coxhoe to Durham on a weekday as well as the first bus from Middlesbrough to Durham - on Saturdays the 1750 from Durham and 1910 from Middlesbrough also remain operated by Durham for now).
(08 Aug 2022, 12:39 pm)DeltaMan wrote Intresting responses when compared to the meltdown last week with the X1 and X11.

You're comparing apples to oranges though.

The X1 going missing leaves chunks of people without a service; there's no alternative between Herrington Burn and Shiney, between Houghton and Easington Lane (and on to Peterlee). The same issue as when the 4 goes missing from Heworth, and there's no alternative way to get between there and Washington. 

The 5A route is completely covered by the 5, apart from the small detour around Guisborough, which is still covered by another Arriva bus. 

I've never bothered holding back before when it comes to criticising something that Arriva have done, but imo this is a sensible option, if it reduces gaps across other routes.
(08 Aug 2022, 12:39 pm)DeltaMan wrote Intresting responses when compared to the meltdown last week with the X1 and X11.
Took the folks almost 3 hours to get to Newcastle the other day. It would typically be an hour.
That's because there were huge gaps not filled by another service.

There are alternatives for all (if not, the majority) of passengers on the route of the 5a.

Not saying cancelling is right. Far from it. But there are alternatives that aren't available for X1 passengers.

For all the paranoia that exists regarding anti-GNE sentiment or anti-ANE sentiment (depending which way the wind blows), I'm not sure there's any here.

(08 Aug 2022, 11:26 am)Kuyoyo wrote The 5A is also one of the poorer recovering services at Stockton depot - hence why it is one of the first to be pulled if staffing issues develop.
Saturday gone was effectively the weekend when all services in the Stockton area needed to run - the first Riverside Festival since 2019. Of course, ended up with a reduced service on the 7 but the staff on the ground tweaked things so that the 3 buses ran a 20 minute frequency rather than 15/15/30.
Stockton of course have additional resources to cover as of today - working all but 2 weekday am and 1 Saturday PM Durham-Middlesbrough-Durham trip on the X12 (Durham retain the first journey from Coxhoe to Durham on a weekday as well as the first bus from Middlesbrough to Durham - on Saturdays the 1750 from Durham and 1910 from Middlesbrough also remain operated by Durham for now).
Is there a reason it is proving to be slow at recovering?
(08 Aug 2022, 1:16 pm)Andreos1 wrote Took the folks almost 3 hours to get to Newcastle the other day. It would typically be an hour.
That's because there were huge gaps not filled by another service.

There are alternatives for all (if not, the majority) of passengers on the route of the 5a.

Not saying cancelling is right. Far from it. But there are alternatives that aren't available for X1 passengers.

For all the paranoia that exists regarding anti-GNE sentiment or anti-ANE sentiment (depending which way the wind blows), I'm not sure there's any here.

Is there a reason it is proving to be slow at recovering?
55 was a stand in between Houghton & Peterlee for the X1 but that got withdrawn due to low passenger numbers which came from the X1 being put every 30 minutes to Peterlee
Just the 45 minute wait for 30/31 in Newcastle today. Added to the 30 minute wait last Thursday and the near 40 minute wait on Saturday.

Stagecoach are getting worse and worse and worse and all they are doing is posting a generic "some services aren't running" tweet. Pathetic