Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Jesmond Depot

Jesmond Depot

Jesmond Depot

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (11) Previous 17 8 911 Next
peter

13 Aug 2022, 11:45 am #141
(13 Aug 2022, 10:31 am)Storx I'm not too sure but I know in the spreadsheet the whole route is listed in the freedom of request awhile back but it's in 3 bits for some reason - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/b...ng-1590909

8801 51 Benton Asda - Holystone - West Allotment - Shiremoor - Earsdon - Beaumont Park - Whitley Bay Monday - Sunday all day route extension
8802 51 Newcastle - Benton Asda - Holystone Daily daytime service
8802 51A Newcastle - Benton Asda - Holystone Daily daytime service

That's the details though pulled out.

Part of me feels like at one time it ran commercially to Benton Asda and the stretch through to Whitley Bay was a deminimis extension where they fund the operator to extend a route (like GNE's 61 recently). Certainly in a FOI in 2016 the 51 is only partly secured. Perhaps at some point since then Arriva pulled out of running the Benton Asda stretch commercially and so that's now funded by Nexus too under a separate contract.
peter
13 Aug 2022, 11:45 am #141

(13 Aug 2022, 10:31 am)Storx I'm not too sure but I know in the spreadsheet the whole route is listed in the freedom of request awhile back but it's in 3 bits for some reason - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/b...ng-1590909

8801 51 Benton Asda - Holystone - West Allotment - Shiremoor - Earsdon - Beaumont Park - Whitley Bay Monday - Sunday all day route extension
8802 51 Newcastle - Benton Asda - Holystone Daily daytime service
8802 51A Newcastle - Benton Asda - Holystone Daily daytime service

That's the details though pulled out.

Part of me feels like at one time it ran commercially to Benton Asda and the stretch through to Whitley Bay was a deminimis extension where they fund the operator to extend a route (like GNE's 61 recently). Certainly in a FOI in 2016 the 51 is only partly secured. Perhaps at some point since then Arriva pulled out of running the Benton Asda stretch commercially and so that's now funded by Nexus too under a separate contract.

Storx

13 Aug 2022, 12:30 pm #142
(13 Aug 2022, 11:05 am)citaro5284 Which of course they did many yers ago.....Whitley Bay.

Clearly Arriva think they can operate their operations north of the Tyne with only 2 main depots with the outstation at Alnwick. 

Just having a bit of a think and how many depots/outstations did Arriva/United use to have north of the Tyne - I am thinking Whitley Bay, Blyth, Ashington, Morpeth, Gallowgate, Hexham and Jesmond.  Did they have a depot at Berwick or was that a bit of an outstation, think they had something around Wooler too?

Yeah agreed with the 2 depots.

Just had a look online and got this from Wikipedia (caveats and all that)

Allenheads (Outstation) - The Barn
Alnwick - Lisburn Street
Ashington - Lintonville Terrace
Berwick - Marygate
Blyth - Bridge Street
Hexham - Burn Lane
Morpeth - Dark Lane
Newcastle (Gallowgate) - Gallowgate
Newcastle (Jesmond) - Portland Terrace
Rothbury - High Street
Seahouses (Outstation) - Public Car Park
Whitley Bay - Park Avenue
Wooler - South Road

Berwick was a full depot as far as I'm aware though as the local town services were served from there who are ran by Border Buses? now.

(13 Aug 2022, 11:45 am)peter Part of me feels like at one time it ran commercially to Benton Asda and the stretch through to Whitley Bay was a deminimis extension where they fund the operator to extend a route (like GNE's 61 recently). Certainly in a FOI in 2016 the 51 is only partly secured. Perhaps at some point since then Arriva pulled out of running the Benton Asda stretch commercially and so that's now funded by Nexus too under a separate contract.

Yeah agreed, it's a weird one though as it doesn't go out for tender, as far as I'm aware, which suggests that it's maybe only part subsidised or there's some different form of deal for it. Not aware of any other routes which avoid tendering altogether where they don't run anything commercial on it.
Storx
13 Aug 2022, 12:30 pm #142

(13 Aug 2022, 11:05 am)citaro5284 Which of course they did many yers ago.....Whitley Bay.

Clearly Arriva think they can operate their operations north of the Tyne with only 2 main depots with the outstation at Alnwick. 

Just having a bit of a think and how many depots/outstations did Arriva/United use to have north of the Tyne - I am thinking Whitley Bay, Blyth, Ashington, Morpeth, Gallowgate, Hexham and Jesmond.  Did they have a depot at Berwick or was that a bit of an outstation, think they had something around Wooler too?

Yeah agreed with the 2 depots.

Just had a look online and got this from Wikipedia (caveats and all that)

Allenheads (Outstation) - The Barn
Alnwick - Lisburn Street
Ashington - Lintonville Terrace
Berwick - Marygate
Blyth - Bridge Street
Hexham - Burn Lane
Morpeth - Dark Lane
Newcastle (Gallowgate) - Gallowgate
Newcastle (Jesmond) - Portland Terrace
Rothbury - High Street
Seahouses (Outstation) - Public Car Park
Whitley Bay - Park Avenue
Wooler - South Road

Berwick was a full depot as far as I'm aware though as the local town services were served from there who are ran by Border Buses? now.

(13 Aug 2022, 11:45 am)peter Part of me feels like at one time it ran commercially to Benton Asda and the stretch through to Whitley Bay was a deminimis extension where they fund the operator to extend a route (like GNE's 61 recently). Certainly in a FOI in 2016 the 51 is only partly secured. Perhaps at some point since then Arriva pulled out of running the Benton Asda stretch commercially and so that's now funded by Nexus too under a separate contract.

Yeah agreed, it's a weird one though as it doesn't go out for tender, as far as I'm aware, which suggests that it's maybe only part subsidised or there's some different form of deal for it. Not aware of any other routes which avoid tendering altogether where they don't run anything commercial on it.

Adrian

14 Aug 2022, 11:01 am #143
Mod note: I've done some housekeeping on this thread.
  • The 'Newcastle Depot' thread has been merged into the already existing Jesmond Depot thread.
  • Service suggestions (even those entering the realm of pure fantasy) have been moved to the Arriva Service Suggestions thread.
In order to keep this thread tidy and on topic, can we keep this to the Jesmond depot closure and the operational challenges around that? Suggestions of re-designing the network need to stay in the relevant suggestions threads.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
14 Aug 2022, 11:01 am #143

Mod note: I've done some housekeeping on this thread.

• The 'Newcastle Depot' thread has been merged into the already existing Jesmond Depot thread.
  • Service suggestions (even those entering the realm of pure fantasy) have been moved to the Arriva Service Suggestions thread.
In order to keep this thread tidy and on topic, can we keep this to the Jesmond depot closure and the operational challenges around that? Suggestions of re-designing the network need to stay in the relevant suggestions threads.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

16 Aug 2022, 11:40 am #144
So what is the future of the Jesmond depot following its closure by Arriva?

Quite a long history to Jesmond depot.

Without going off topic, are there any major implications for services? Could we see local routes like the 46/46A, 47, 55 etc withdrawn/transferred across to another operator?
OrangeArrow49
16 Aug 2022, 11:40 am #144

So what is the future of the Jesmond depot following its closure by Arriva?

Quite a long history to Jesmond depot.

Without going off topic, are there any major implications for services? Could we see local routes like the 46/46A, 47, 55 etc withdrawn/transferred across to another operator?

P814VTY

20 Aug 2022, 11:58 pm #145
Regarding Jesmond depot closing, does anyone plan on being there to film the closure on the last ever run in?
P814VTY
20 Aug 2022, 11:58 pm #145

Regarding Jesmond depot closing, does anyone plan on being there to film the closure on the last ever run in?

28 Aug 2022, 4:57 pm #146
Hello all, newbie here.

I worked out of Jesmond for 20 years, going from pre privatisation to Arriva. The 2 best days of my working life were the day I started there and the day I left. I still know a few drivers that work there, although not many and it's nearly 20 years since I left.

I will be sorry to see it go but the building is in a sorry state, they haven't spent much on it over the years and the value of the land is worth way more than it's value as a bus depot.DB have been trying to sell Arriva for ages, makes good sense to strip out what remaining assets they have.

I live on the 43 route, it's my only bus to town, now 1 an hour in the evening to " improve reliability" yet the last time I used it, it didn't run. Meaning a full hour wait and hoping the next one wasn't cancelled.

They must have a different idea of " improved reliability" to me. I can't imagine moving services to Blyth and Ashington is going to help with reliability either.
Little John
28 Aug 2022, 4:57 pm #146

Hello all, newbie here.

I worked out of Jesmond for 20 years, going from pre privatisation to Arriva. The 2 best days of my working life were the day I started there and the day I left. I still know a few drivers that work there, although not many and it's nearly 20 years since I left.

I will be sorry to see it go but the building is in a sorry state, they haven't spent much on it over the years and the value of the land is worth way more than it's value as a bus depot.DB have been trying to sell Arriva for ages, makes good sense to strip out what remaining assets they have.

I live on the 43 route, it's my only bus to town, now 1 an hour in the evening to " improve reliability" yet the last time I used it, it didn't run. Meaning a full hour wait and hoping the next one wasn't cancelled.

They must have a different idea of " improved reliability" to me. I can't imagine moving services to Blyth and Ashington is going to help with reliability either.

RobinHood

29 Aug 2022, 12:08 pm #147
(28 Aug 2022, 4:57 pm)Little John Hello all, newbie here.

You do realise that Arriva don't own the Jesmond site anymore? Any value obtained by closing it, isn't going into Arriva's pockets.

How the network reacts to operating from another location remains to be seen.
RobinHood
29 Aug 2022, 12:08 pm #147

(28 Aug 2022, 4:57 pm)Little John Hello all, newbie here.

You do realise that Arriva don't own the Jesmond site anymore? Any value obtained by closing it, isn't going into Arriva's pockets.

How the network reacts to operating from another location remains to be seen.

29 Aug 2022, 3:07 pm #148
They don't own it anymore because it was sold a while back and part of the sale conditions were they could keep using it for a while. Of course Arriva/DB got the money from the sale.
Little John
29 Aug 2022, 3:07 pm #148

They don't own it anymore because it was sold a while back and part of the sale conditions were they could keep using it for a while. Of course Arriva/DB got the money from the sale.

jessarnold003

Unregistered

07 Oct 2022, 2:15 pm #149
New user here Smile
I have a couple of questions:
1. Do we know who the depot has been sold to?
2. Are the staff at the depot happy with this move? Can't imagine the commute time being convenient at all
3. Do we know what is happening to the depot once it has closed at the end of October?
jessarnold003
07 Oct 2022, 2:15 pm #149

New user here Smile
2. Are the staff at the depot happy with this move? Can't imagine the commute time being convenient at all
3. Do we know what is happening to the depot once it has closed at the end of October?

08 Oct 2022, 10:35 am #150
(07 Oct 2022, 2:15 pm)jessarnold003 New user here Smile

1. Haven't got a clue!
2. Nope, not at all. https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-event...ond-depot/
3. Again, haven't got a clue!
ArrivaDriver2210
08 Oct 2022, 10:35 am #150

1. Haven't got a clue!
2. Nope, not at all. https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-event...ond-depot/
3. Again, haven't got a clue!

RobinHood

10 Oct 2022, 4:03 pm #151
Answering Q1, the depot was actually sold back in 2016 I think. Arriva have simply leased it since then. They don't own the depot currently.
RobinHood
10 Oct 2022, 4:03 pm #151

Answering Q1, the depot was actually sold back in 2016 I think. Arriva have simply leased it since then. They don't own the depot currently.

26 Oct 2022, 11:57 am #152
So where are the current Jesmond services going to then? Split between Ashington and Blyth?
Driver9***
26 Oct 2022, 11:57 am #152

So where are the current Jesmond services going to then? Split between Ashington and Blyth?

Rob44

26 Oct 2022, 12:04 pm #153
From what ive heeard friend of a friend of an inspector at blyth they already have moved. Only got 17 drivers instead of 63 too
Rob44
26 Oct 2022, 12:04 pm #153

From what ive heeard friend of a friend of an inspector at blyth they already have moved. Only got 17 drivers instead of 63 too

Kuyoyo

26 Oct 2022, 12:12 pm #154
(26 Oct 2022, 11:57 am)Driver9*** So where are the current Jesmond services going to then? Split between Ashington and Blyth?

Nothing moving to Ashington as of this weekend as far as I'm aware - 47, 55, 553, 555 and 685 plus certain turns on the 51/52/53/54 and 306/308 along with the school boards will be worked out of Stagecoach's Walkergate depot for the foreseeable. Appears Blyth will take on the full 43/44/45 operation alongside the 306/308 (no idea if Blyth will also do the remaining 51/52/53/54 turns)
Kuyoyo
26 Oct 2022, 12:12 pm #154

(26 Oct 2022, 11:57 am)Driver9*** So where are the current Jesmond services going to then? Split between Ashington and Blyth?

Nothing moving to Ashington as of this weekend as far as I'm aware - 47, 55, 553, 555 and 685 plus certain turns on the 51/52/53/54 and 306/308 along with the school boards will be worked out of Stagecoach's Walkergate depot for the foreseeable. Appears Blyth will take on the full 43/44/45 operation alongside the 306/308 (no idea if Blyth will also do the remaining 51/52/53/54 turns)

26 Oct 2022, 2:19 pm #155
(26 Oct 2022, 12:12 pm)Kuyoyo Nothing moving to Ashington as of this weekend as far as I'm aware - 47, 55, 553, 555 and 685 plus certain turns on the 51/52/53/54 and 306/308 along with the school boards will be worked out of Stagecoach's Walkergate depot for the foreseeable. Appears Blyth will take on the full 43/44/45 operation alongside the 306/308 (no idea if Blyth will also do the remaining 51/52/53/54 turns)

Yep were getting 34 buses at Walkergate depot from Arriva

Looks like they’ll run out of Jesmond on Sunday morning and all come back to Walkergate on the night

They’ve got some of there portacabins and things there now for there offices
topsweep1506
26 Oct 2022, 2:19 pm #155

(26 Oct 2022, 12:12 pm)Kuyoyo Nothing moving to Ashington as of this weekend as far as I'm aware - 47, 55, 553, 555 and 685 plus certain turns on the 51/52/53/54 and 306/308 along with the school boards will be worked out of Stagecoach's Walkergate depot for the foreseeable. Appears Blyth will take on the full 43/44/45 operation alongside the 306/308 (no idea if Blyth will also do the remaining 51/52/53/54 turns)

Yep were getting 34 buses at Walkergate depot from Arriva

Looks like they’ll run out of Jesmond on Sunday morning and all come back to Walkergate on the night

26 Oct 2022, 4:13 pm #156
(26 Oct 2022, 2:19 pm)topsweep1506 Yep were getting 34 buses at Walkergate depot from Arriva

Are Stagecoach going to be repairing their vehicles or will they be done at Ashington or Blyth?
Dans_bus_photos
26 Oct 2022, 4:13 pm #156

(26 Oct 2022, 2:19 pm)topsweep1506 Yep were getting 34 buses at Walkergate depot from Arriva

Are Stagecoach going to be repairing their vehicles or will they be done at Ashington or Blyth?

26 Oct 2022, 7:39 pm #157
Ashington, Blyth and Durham are handling maintenance. Arriva staff are not permitted into Stagecoach buildings, they're only authorised to use the two lanes allocated to them and the portacabins.

At the moment they're still using Jesmond depot for parking however this is about to change.

Some Arriva buses have already arrived at Walkergate. Blyth now have use of a yard behind Mecca Bingo which is staging quite a few buses too.
omnicity4659
26 Oct 2022, 7:39 pm #157

Ashington, Blyth and Durham are handling maintenance. Arriva staff are not permitted into Stagecoach buildings, they're only authorised to use the two lanes allocated to them and the portacabins.

At the moment they're still using Jesmond depot for parking however this is about to change.

Some Arriva buses have already arrived at Walkergate. Blyth now have use of a yard behind Mecca Bingo which is staging quite a few buses too.

mb134

26 Oct 2022, 8:42 pm #158
(26 Oct 2022, 12:04 pm)Rob44 From what ive heeard friend of a friend of an inspector at blyth they already have moved. Only got 17 drivers instead of 63 too

There were never going to be 63 drivers moving to Blyth, at least not this weekend.
mb134
26 Oct 2022, 8:42 pm #158

(26 Oct 2022, 12:04 pm)Rob44 From what ive heeard friend of a friend of an inspector at blyth they already have moved. Only got 17 drivers instead of 63 too

There were never going to be 63 drivers moving to Blyth, at least not this weekend.

26 Oct 2022, 9:22 pm #159
(26 Oct 2022, 7:39 pm)omnicity4659 Ashington, Blyth and Durham are handling maintenance. Arriva staff are not permitted into Stagecoach buildings, they're only authorised to use the two lanes allocated to them and the portacabins.

Yep what he said except theres no arriva buses here yet
topsweep1506
26 Oct 2022, 9:22 pm #159

(26 Oct 2022, 7:39 pm)omnicity4659 Ashington, Blyth and Durham are handling maintenance. Arriva staff are not permitted into Stagecoach buildings, they're only authorised to use the two lanes allocated to them and the portacabins.

Yep what he said except theres no arriva buses here yet

27 Oct 2022, 2:51 am #160
(26 Oct 2022, 9:22 pm)topsweep1506 Yep what he said except theres no arriva buses here yet

.jpg
Snapchat-2131295303.jpg
Size 189.79 KB / Downloads 38
omnicity4659
27 Oct 2022, 2:51 am #160

(26 Oct 2022, 9:22 pm)topsweep1506 Yep what he said except theres no arriva buses here yet

.jpg
Snapchat-2131295303.jpg
Size 189.79 KB / Downloads 38

Pages (11) Previous 17 8 911 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average