You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Boxing Day buses
(05 Dec 2022, 12:42 pm)Unber43 wrote Boxing Day timetables apparently come out today
They have been online over a week already.  Change the date on timetables and shows correctly.
(15 Dec 2022, 2:38 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Are Stagecoach operating the 21 on boxing day? On the Nexus website it says operated by Stagecoach.

GNE are running the 306/308 and X10 instead of Arriva. Phoenix are operating the X21 instead of Arriva.

It must be a typo, if you open the PDF it doesn't say Stagecoach. Says the same for the 26 too.
I wonder if GNE would ever do a Christmas Day service, as not everyone celebrates it and for a lot of people its just a normal day.

I suppose if they ever did do that it would have to be all voluntary and just make the timetables from then.
(15 Dec 2022, 9:33 pm)Unber43 wrote I wonder if GNE would ever do a Christmas Day service, as not everyone celebrates it and for a lot of people its just a normal day.

I suppose if they ever did do that it would have to be all voluntary and just make the timetables from then.
Await the replies saying drivers can't don't want to provide a service the customers want. It's a public service ran by privates companies. It's never going to work long term.

Heck no heating on this bus I'm currently on and it's brass.
(16 Dec 2022, 11:22 am)idiot wrote Await the replies saying drivers can't don't want to provide a service the customers want. It's a public service ran by privates companies. It's never going to work long term.

Heck no heating on this bus I'm currently on and it's brass.
There must be a substianal heating problem for the GNE fleet, they're so cold most of them.
Stagecoach Sunderland:

Customers are advised that Stagecoach in Sunderland bus services will be revised over the Christmas and New Year 2022 - 2023 period, as follows:

Thursday 22 December - Normal service.

Friday 23 December – Due to industrial action, services will operate special timetables between approx. 0800 - 1730. Services X1, 12, 18, 18A, 99, X24, X24A will not operate.

Saturday 24 December - Due to industrial action, services will operate special timetables between approx. 0830 - 1530. Services 11, 12, 18, 99, X24 and E6 will not operate. All bus fares taken on Sunderland buses on this date will be matched with a company donation to two local charities, Pawz For Thought and St Benedict's Hospice.

Sunday 25 December - no services.

Monday 26 December - skeleton timetable on Services E2 and E6 only. No other services will operate in the Sunderland area.

Tuesday 27 December - Due to industrial action, services will operate special timetables. Services 3, 4, 13, 16 and 20 will operate between approx. 0800 – 1730, and Services 8, 10, 23, E1 and E2 will operate between approx. 1030 – 1730. Services 11, 12, 18, 99, X24 and E6 will not operate.

Wednesday 28 December - Saturday service.

Thursday 29 December - Saturday service

Friday 30 December - Saturday service

Saturday 31 December - Saturday service, but finishing early. Last buses from around 1800.

Sunday 1 January - no services.

Monday 2 January - Sunday services
Tuesday 3 January – normal services resume
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Arriva has produced a Christmas booklet with the GNE Boxing Day 306 and 308 times in (as well as the X10 and X18). They were in the leaflet rack at Eldon Square the last time I passed.
(17 Dec 2022, 7:08 am)DeltaMan wrote Arriva has produced a Christmas booklet with the GNE Boxing Day 306 and 308 times in (as well as the X10 and X18). They were in the leaflet rack at Eldon Square the last time I passed.

Download here
(16 Dec 2022, 10:45 pm)idiot wrote Is IA happening on Boxing day?
At Stagecoach Sunderland, yes (Assuming you mean IA as in Industrial Action), hence why only the E2 and E6 are running (tbh I'm not sure why they're bothering in that case)
(17 Dec 2022, 10:31 am)F114TML wrote At Stagecoach Sunderland, yes (Assuming you mean IA as in Industrial Action), hence why only the E2 and E6 are running (tbh I'm not sure why they're bothering in that case)

Aye I agree, it seems daft, just to run those services, unless South Shields will run them?

Christmas eve buses finishing at 3:30pm too, good luck for anyone trying to get home from retail!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Dec 2022, 10:31 am)F114TML wrote At Stagecoach Sunderland, yes (Assuming you mean IA as in Industrial Action), hence why only the E2 and E6 are running (tbh I'm not sure why they're bothering in that case)
Are E2 & E6 subsidised by Nexus on Boxing Day?
Would it not be worth GNE just letting SC park a few of their buses at Deptford and running it from their on Boxing Day instead of opening Sunderland Depot for maybe like 6 buses. Thats if Deptford is even opening.
(17 Dec 2022, 2:51 pm)Unber43 wrote Would it not be worth GNE just letting SC park a few of their buses at Deptford and running it from their on Boxing Day instead of opening Sunderland Depot for maybe like 6 buses. Thats if Deptford is even opening.

Deptford and Riverside are both opening on Boxing Day.
(17 Dec 2022, 2:51 pm)Unber43 wrote Would it not be worth GNE just letting SC park a few of their buses at Deptford and running it from their on Boxing Day instead of opening Sunderland Depot for maybe like 6 buses. Thats if Deptford is even opening.

I would imagine that South Shields will be operational this year instead of Sunderland with the E2/E6 operating from there for the day
(17 Dec 2022, 3:40 pm)Dans_bus_photos wrote I would imagine that South Shields will be operational this year instead of Sunderland with the E2/E6 operating from there for the day
Possibly as Sunderland operated the Shields Boxing day services last year so it may be switched over, coincidence or not
I've never done anything on Boxing Day before, so I don't know how it works having GNE/Phoenix running Arriva services for the day, in terms of tickets. Not sure if traveling on Boxing Day is a good idea, it might be for the best to just video/photograph some of the buses.
Yes thanks for clarification.
I imagine they are funded by Nexus.
Also Xmas Eve will be a nightmare for anyone working.
(19 Dec 2022, 7:27 am)OrangeArrow49 wrote Does anyone know if GNE will be allocating Cobalt buses to services 43, 306, 308 and X10 like they have before or what they will be putting on?
I would imagine either Enviros or Streetdecks as only Riverside and Deptford are working Boxing Day
(17 Dec 2022, 9:07 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote I've never done anything on Boxing Day before, so I don't know how it works having GNE/Phoenix running Arriva services for the day, in terms of tickets. Not sure if traveling on Boxing Day is a good idea, it might be for the best to just video/photograph some of the buses.
Before COVID, our usual plan for Boxing Day was to try and head to the Metrocentre in the car as early as possible. Not sure if we'll be doing that again this uear, though.
[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]
(19 Dec 2022, 10:36 am)wibblejunior wrote Before COVID, our usual plan for Boxing Day was to try and head to the Metrocentre in the car as early as possible. Not sure if we'll be doing that again this uear, though.
We won't!