You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Withdrawn buses
(31 Jul 2022, 7:09 pm)Ryland wrote Seen a post on flickr of 4719 looking in a right state. Has this formally been withdrawn or awaiting repair

There's a lot of debate on bustimes about it, people keeping withdrawing it and adding it back, someone claimed the engineering budget had been exceeded and it wouldn't be coming back into service, no idea if that's correct or not...do you have a link to the photo in question?
(31 Jul 2022, 7:16 pm)peter wrote There's a lot of debate on bustimes about it, people keeping withdrawing it and adding it back, someone claimed the engineering budget had been exceeded and it wouldn't be coming back into service, no idea if that's correct or not...do you have a link to the photo in question?
https://flic.kr/p/2nByVdn
(31 Jul 2022, 7:53 pm)Ryland wrote https://flic.kr/p/2nByVdn

Given that it clearly states that no parts are to be removed from the vehicle, and that it must be inspected prior to return to service, I think you could safely assume that they're at least planning on bringing it back.
(31 Jul 2022, 8:16 pm)mb134 wrote Given that it clearly states that no parts are to be removed from the vehicle, and that it must be inspected prior to return to service, I think you could safely assume that they're at least planning on bringing it back.
The alleged intention with 4719 is to put it back on the road but requires a large list of parts.

4713 has suffered engine failure but believe that's going to be repaired too.
A number of Optare Vectas at Arriva North East were withdrawn for years before many had their MAN engines replaced with Cummins Units and re-entered service.

The case with 4719 is that it has been used as a Christmas Tree, instead of having say 5 buses off with 5 different faults. They take all the required functioning bits of one of the vehicles (probably the one that has the longest wait time for a part), and distribute them amongst the other 4 vehicles, so instead of 5 buses off, you only have one bus off the road longer, whilst you have 4 available for use.

It's common practise with a lot of operators, buses, trains, metros, trams, haulage industry. They all do it.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(01 Aug 2022, 10:35 pm)Rapidsnap wrote A number of Optare Vectas at Arriva North East were withdrawn for years before many had their MAN engines replaced with Cummins Units and re-entered service.
The case with 4719 is that it has been used as a Christmas Tree, instead of having say 5 buses off with 5 different faults. They take all the required functioning bits of one of the vehicles (probably the one that has the longest wait time for a part), and distribute them amongst the other 4 vehicles, so instead of 5 buses off, you only have one bus off the road longer, whilst you have 4 available for use.
It's common practise with a lot of operators, buses, trains, metros, trams, haulage industry. They all do it.
So has it officially been withdrawn 
Depends on whether the type is regarded as having a future within the overall fleet.  If it's genuinely waiting parts, then when those parts arrive it'll be fixed and put back into service.  If, however, the type is regarded as not having a long-term future then any vehicles off the road will have parts removed until they've run out of bit to swap from them and the remains then scrapped.
(27 Nov 2022, 2:48 pm)Ianthegoon wrote Depends on whether the type is regarded as having a future within the overall fleet.  If it's genuinely waiting parts, then when those parts arrive it'll be fixed and put back into service.  If, however, the type is regarded as not having a long-term future then any vehicles off the road will have parts removed until they've run out of bit to swap from them and the remains then scrapped.
i am not surprised that a few temsa's are waiting parts given they are rare in the bus industry in uk and parts are hard to find for them given arriva are the only operators who own any
(27 Nov 2022, 6:48 pm)omnicity4659 wrote Temsa parts have to be shipped over from Europe which is likely to be a headache in itself.
Exactly and must be very costly depending if those vehicles have expired warranties
Does anyone know whether Omnilinks 760/1/2 have been withdrawn? Quack77 claims that 761/2 were withdrawn last month, and 760 a few days ago. Bustimes seems to confirm that 761/2 have been off the road for a few weeks now.
(08 Dec 2022, 12:27 am)N391OTY wrote Does anyone know whether Omnilinks 760/1/2 have been withdrawn? Quack77 claims that 761/2 were withdrawn last month, and 760 a few days ago. Bustimes seems to confirm that 761/2 have been off the road for a few weeks now.
an enthusiast mentioned on facebook that 760/761/762 have been withdrawn and they have had the red cover put on the seering wheel
(08 Dec 2022, 9:45 am)Phillippatt wrote an enthusiast mentioned on facebook that 760/761/762 have been withdrawn and they have had the red cover put on the seering wheel

761/762 definitely have, 760 still seems to be living, wonder if 760 is repaint float vehicle for Darlington
Withdrawn buses
(15 Dec 2022, 10:18 pm)Ryland wrote Has 1923 been withdrawn

No it’s alive and well at Redcar. 2516 is however parked up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Withdrawn buses
(07 Jan 2023, 5:41 am)Spottybus wrote 1492? You mean 1494 NK61 CZH

They’ve had a quote to fix it but I don’t think it will run again…
7406 now joins 7405 in the withdrawn pile at Redcar after hitting a van last night. 1438 is also off which makes 4 long termers at Redcar joining 3 at Stockton so vehicle availability is taking a hit down here!

(07 Jan 2023, 11:25 am)What tyresmoke wrote They’ve had a quote to fix it but I don’t think it will run again…7406 now joins 7405 in the withdrawn pile at Redcar after hitting a van last night. 1438 is also off which makes 4 long termers at Redcar joining 3 at Stockton so vehicle availability is taking a hit down here!

What happened with 7405? 
Do you think 1438 will run again? 
I'm guessing redcar are keeping the two solos and 1923 on to cover?
(07 Jan 2023, 11:40 am)Ryland wrote What happened with 7405? 

Think there was a fire with 7405.
Withdrawn buses
(07 Jan 2023, 11:40 am)Ryland wrote What happened with 7405? 

Yeah 7405 had a fire last week, think it will be repairable though. Unsure on 1438 though I would think it will, especially now they’re two deckers down. 4719 should be back soon hopefully after over a year off the road!

1923 and 2834 are covering the refurb program which should be completed in a month or so - only 4 left to do at Redcar now.

(07 Jan 2023, 2:57 pm)tyresmoke wrote Yeah 7405 had a fire last week, think it will be repairable though. Unsure on 1438 though I would think it will, especially now they’re two deckers down. 4719 should be back soon hopefully after over a year off the road!

1923 and 2834 are covering the refurb program which should be completed in a month or so - only 4 left to do at Redcar now.

I've noticed the Streetlites that have had their repaint, don't have the vinyls for the X3/X4 routes.
However, the coving inside still has the old route diagrams displayed.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Withdrawn buses
(07 Jan 2023, 6:03 pm)Andreos1 wrote I've noticed the Streetlites that have had their repaint, don't have the vinyls for the X3/X4 routes.
However, the coving inside still has the old route diagrams displayed.

Yes the Stockton ones are the same. Both sets carrying out of date route diagrams inside still.
Believe Sapphire is now dead though as a project hence everything getting plain blue now

Withdrawn buses
(10 Jan 2023, 7:23 am)Ryland wrote Have 1534/5/6 been withdrawn

They’ve been off for months… rumour had it 1534 was to make a comeback at Stockton but unsure how far they’ve got with it.

(15 Jan 2023, 12:48 pm)tyresmoke wrote They’ve been off for months… rumour had it 1534 was to make a comeback at Stockton but unsure how far they’ve got with it.

think one or two of them are sat in Darlington yard in the scrap corner
(16 Jan 2023, 6:55 pm)Stuartphin1639 wrote think one or two of them are sat in Darlington yard in the scrap corner
The scrap corner of Darlington now consists of solos, Gemini deckers and 761.762
(17 Jan 2023, 1:05 pm)ross13 wrote The scrap corner of Darlington now consists of solos, Gemini deckers and 761.762
762 is now back on the road and has passed its MOT at Stockton