You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East State Of The Fleet

Go North East State Of The Fleet

RE: State Of The Fleet
(06 Feb 2023, 10:55 pm)BusLoverMum wrote It's old?
He just likes to bitch about everything, my advice to him is,'if you dont like it, go elsewhere'
Kind Regards
Tez
(06 Feb 2023, 10:55 pm)BusLoverMum wrote It's old?

Pretty much this, I'd imagine! Not to mention that it had a hard life on the X10, and I don't think ever recovered from that.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(07 Feb 2023, 9:21 am)Adrian wrote Pretty much this, I'd imagine! Not to mention that it had a hard life on the X10, and I don't think ever recovered from that.
3941 was never the best when I drove it. Limited to 50mph although later down the line they managed to make it the quickest one of the batch in terms of acceleration. 42 and 43 were always brilliant, loud fans but smooth and quick to drive. 42 was the faster off the blocks than 43. I'd always have picked one of these over any of the Red Arrow B9s unless it was a cold day (they weren't the warmest).

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
3942 is a brilliant bus to drive and hides it age well. Lack of heating is an issue in the winter. Even the Euro 6 mods haven't impacted on its performance.

Sister 3943 is ok once it gets going and puts some (very little) heat out. However I've found, especially after modifications it simply won't pull away on an incline. You put your foot down and simply nothing happens, I've been caught out a few times including at a set of lights on a hill. 3943 also seems to drink oil like its going out of fashion.

It will be interesting to see what 3941 is like if/when it returns to service...
(07 Feb 2023, 2:35 pm)V514DFT wrote Hes just an attention seeker
Not really, I was just bringing up how unreliable a certain bus is. 

And in my experience it has been extremely unreliable and I am allowed to talk about how 75% of the time I've been on that bus in the past 3 years its broke down, I have the right to complain about that. And then for it to break down again on one of the days its been in service and not just on a route for an hour a day for weeks
(07 Feb 2023, 3:50 pm)Unber43 wrote Not really, I was just bringing up how unreliable a certain bus is. 

And in my experience it has been extremely unreliable and I am allowed to talk about how 75% of the time I've been on that bus in the past 3 years its broke down, I have the right to complain about that. And then for it to break down again on one of the days its been in service and not just on a route for an hour a day for weeks

There are hundreds of reasons it could have failed yesterday. For example I notice it was on it's second trip - a poor first use inspection might have meant it left the depot low on coolant, the issues related to that would begin to show after a couple of hours. 

In fairness, as others have said, it is pushing 18 years old. Comparing it to 3942 just highlights how different buses of the same batch are totally different, especially as they age. As another example, ANE had B7 7484 regularly performing on express services until last year at 20 years old. The (slightly) younger 7411 wasn't trusted with much more than a 35, and the times it did venture off to Newcastle it generally broke at some point during the day. Same type of vehicle, pretty much the same pattern of work for majority of their lives, but one had a fair bit more left in the tank - I'd say it's likely the same with 3942/3, some are just put together better.
(07 Feb 2023, 7:32 pm)ne14ne1 wrote That ancient looking East Yorkshire B7 was out on the 6 today. When’s it getting sent packing?
Pretty sure some are being upgraded to Euro 6.

Presumably its the ones being repainted
(07 Feb 2023, 8:45 pm)Unber43 wrote Pretty sure some are being upgraded to Euro 6.

Presumably its the ones being repainted

If they’re repainted and re trimmed then they’ll look fine, but they look awful in their current state.
Site Administrator
State Of The Fleet
(07 Feb 2023, 9:32 pm)ne14ne1 wrote If they’re repainted and re trimmed then they’ll look fine, but they look awful in their current state.

6193 and 6194 have already been repainted.

6195 and 6196 have yet to be repainted. At some point they will be (requires an ex-London B9 to replace them, first).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(07 Feb 2023, 2:26 pm)morritt89 wrote 3942 is a brilliant bus to drive and hides it age well. Lack of heating is an issue in the winter. Even the Euro 6 mods haven't impacted on its performance.

Sister 3943 is ok once it gets going and puts some (very little) heat out. However I've found, especially after modifications it simply won't pull away on an incline. You put your foot down and simply nothing happens, I've been caught out a few times including at a set of lights on a hill. 3943 also seems to drink oil like its going out of fashion.

It will be interesting to see what 3941 is like if/when it returns to service...
3943 was always like that. You just have to adapt your driving to it. Waiting at a roundabout, plan about 8 seconds ahead. See the gap around the right distance away, plant the foot then by the time she's spooled up, the gap is there and you're away.

We were reminded today of another temperamental bus - arriva's 1598. It's been plagued with problems since it was new and, sure enough, the engine cut out and all the alarms went off while easing around a bend in Newton Hall. It started up again but I wonder how many times a day that happens.
(07 Feb 2023, 9:45 pm)Dan wrote 6193 and 6194 have already been repainted.

6195 and 6196 have yet to be repainted. At some point they will be (requires an ex-London B9 to replace them, first).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6194 has internal signage saying ‘Bus Number 787’ and East Yorkshire branded notices.
(08 Feb 2023, 12:12 am)6049 wrote 3943 was always like that. You just have to adapt your driving to it. Waiting at a roundabout, plan about 8 seconds ahead. See the gap around the right distance away, plant the foot then by the time she's spooled up, the gap is there and you're away.

3943 is now VOR awaiting a new engine.
Can;t see GNE forking out £18k+ for a new engine, might they have one donated from another one incoming?
(14 Feb 2023, 4:43 pm)BFK wrote 3943 is now VOR awaiting a new engine.
Probs was waiting for 3941 to come back.

(14 Feb 2023, 5:24 pm)xpm wrote Can;t see GNE forking out £18k+ for a new engine, might they have one donated from another one incoming?
They've replaced a lot of engines recently. 

Do engines just need replacing after a certain amount of time, or is it just poor maintence?
(14 Feb 2023, 8:51 pm)Unber43 wrote Probs was waiting for 3941 to come back.

They've replaced a lot of engines recently. 

Do engines just need replacing after a certain amount of time, or is it just poor maintence?
Engines do wear out, generally mileage related rather than time based. Every bus will probably have at least 1 new engine in its life.
I was on the 29 back from the match on saturday and it was chucking it down with rain - most of that was coming through the fire exit door!
(26 Feb 2023, 2:28 pm)ne14ne1 wrote At first glance I thought this had been sold on and was being operated by someone else: 

https://flic.kr/p/2oiU1Jt
 There's a Deptford streetlite that has a full blue panel, but the roadstripes have been applied over it. Don't know the number as only saw it from a distance.