Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot

Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot

Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (26) Previous 124 25 26 Next
05 Feb 2023, 10:42 pm #481
(05 Feb 2023, 8:11 pm)omnicity4659 They definitely do at the moment. GNE's apprentices attend the Team Valley campus once per week.

Ah right, must've started it up again...
logidoodah
05 Feb 2023, 10:42 pm #481

(05 Feb 2023, 8:11 pm)omnicity4659 They definitely do at the moment. GNE's apprentices attend the Team Valley campus once per week.

Ah right, must've started it up again...

10 Feb 2023, 3:35 pm #482
(01 Feb 2023, 7:29 pm)Adrian Preserving buildings cost a fortune, especially when you're responsible for the upkeep and repair. It's listed at £1.95 million to start with, and that's in it's current state. We already know from press reports that the depot would require considerable investment to get it up to standard, but even at that, it's never going to be to a modern useful standard. Plus it's full of asbestos, which is another problem for a would-be preservationist to resolve. 

There is of course funding/grants available, such as Heritage England and the Heritage Lottery Fund, but they don't hand out money for free or on the basis something should be kept. There needs to be a long-term future plan for it, and especially what benefits it is going to bring to the community. Doing something around training and education is one, but it doesn't come cheap, and you'd have the overheads of that on top of the upkeep and repair of a building.

I can't see it having a future in it's present form. It'd even be a waste of money for a lottery winner.

You make some very fair and valid comments there. Never realised the place is full of asbestos to be honest. Whether the building is preserved or pulled down I would imagine it will cost a lot to remove it either way.

The main point of my post was to say it seems such a shame that the company's first ever depot, and ultimately where the company started being torn down and forgotten about.

I wonder if preservation groups in the area would be interested in coming together and renting the building from Go North East. There's loads of room to store the vehicles, and plenty of stores, workshop space and pits to work on the buses. They could have open days, fundraising days and guided tours around the site to help with the upkeep and costs to run the place. As far as I'm aware there isn't any transport museum in the North East. As I said earlier I can't see this happening but I feel something needs to be done to commemorate what is ultimately a historic building.

(02 Feb 2023, 7:45 pm)Storx It just seems an awkward site with the 45 degree angle.

Btw for keeping it's history, the best thing would be to build apartments (or something else) but use the Northern archway as form of focus piece, maybe as the access point. The rest of the building is neither nothing or something to be honest and a bit of an eyesore tbh.

That's not a bad shout that. If say Lidl did buy the site to build a supermarket they might well do this as they preserved a chimney/tower at the site of the store in Swalwell. I reckon they could fit a store on there although I think the main issue would be traffic.
Edited 10 Feb 2023, 3:40 pm by Washingtonian.
Washingtonian
10 Feb 2023, 3:35 pm #482

(01 Feb 2023, 7:29 pm)Adrian Preserving buildings cost a fortune, especially when you're responsible for the upkeep and repair. It's listed at £1.95 million to start with, and that's in it's current state. We already know from press reports that the depot would require considerable investment to get it up to standard, but even at that, it's never going to be to a modern useful standard. Plus it's full of asbestos, which is another problem for a would-be preservationist to resolve. 

There is of course funding/grants available, such as Heritage England and the Heritage Lottery Fund, but they don't hand out money for free or on the basis something should be kept. There needs to be a long-term future plan for it, and especially what benefits it is going to bring to the community. Doing something around training and education is one, but it doesn't come cheap, and you'd have the overheads of that on top of the upkeep and repair of a building.

I can't see it having a future in it's present form. It'd even be a waste of money for a lottery winner.

You make some very fair and valid comments there. Never realised the place is full of asbestos to be honest. Whether the building is preserved or pulled down I would imagine it will cost a lot to remove it either way.

The main point of my post was to say it seems such a shame that the company's first ever depot, and ultimately where the company started being torn down and forgotten about.

I wonder if preservation groups in the area would be interested in coming together and renting the building from Go North East. There's loads of room to store the vehicles, and plenty of stores, workshop space and pits to work on the buses. They could have open days, fundraising days and guided tours around the site to help with the upkeep and costs to run the place. As far as I'm aware there isn't any transport museum in the North East. As I said earlier I can't see this happening but I feel something needs to be done to commemorate what is ultimately a historic building.

(02 Feb 2023, 7:45 pm)Storx It just seems an awkward site with the 45 degree angle.

Btw for keeping it's history, the best thing would be to build apartments (or something else) but use the Northern archway as form of focus piece, maybe as the access point. The rest of the building is neither nothing or something to be honest and a bit of an eyesore tbh.

That's not a bad shout that. If say Lidl did buy the site to build a supermarket they might well do this as they preserved a chimney/tower at the site of the store in Swalwell. I reckon they could fit a store on there although I think the main issue would be traffic.

Andreos1

10 Feb 2023, 3:58 pm #483
(10 Feb 2023, 3:35 pm)Washingtonian You make some very fair and valid comments there. Never realised the place is full of asbestos to be honest. Whether the building is preserved or pulled down I would imagine it will cost a lot to remove it either way.

It (or part of it) seems ripe for Beamish to be honest. 
Maybe some of the the more modern extensions less so, but I reckon it would fit in nicely and as well as being able to display exhibits, potentially useful for storage too.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
10 Feb 2023, 3:58 pm #483

(10 Feb 2023, 3:35 pm)Washingtonian You make some very fair and valid comments there. Never realised the place is full of asbestos to be honest. Whether the building is preserved or pulled down I would imagine it will cost a lot to remove it either way.

It (or part of it) seems ripe for Beamish to be honest. 
Maybe some of the the more modern extensions less so, but I reckon it would fit in nicely and as well as being able to display exhibits, potentially useful for storage too.

10 Feb 2023, 4:54 pm #484
(10 Feb 2023, 3:58 pm)Andreos1 It (or part of it) seems ripe for Beamish to be honest. 

Aye never thought of that one. only problem is transport and asbestos removal.
NEbushopper
10 Feb 2023, 4:54 pm #484

(10 Feb 2023, 3:58 pm)Andreos1 It (or part of it) seems ripe for Beamish to be honest. 

Aye never thought of that one. only problem is transport and asbestos removal.

Andreos1

10 Feb 2023, 5:17 pm #485
(10 Feb 2023, 4:54 pm)NEbushopper Aye never thought of that one. only problem is transport and asbestos removal.

They've transported whole Co-op's and other buildings in the past, I'm sure they could manage this one.

The story is that they number each brick prior to demolition and then re-assemble on site.

Andreos1
10 Feb 2023, 5:17 pm #485

(10 Feb 2023, 4:54 pm)NEbushopper Aye never thought of that one. only problem is transport and asbestos removal.

They've transported whole Co-op's and other buildings in the past, I'm sure they could manage this one.

The story is that they number each brick prior to demolition and then re-assemble on site.

MurdnunoC

10 Feb 2023, 6:45 pm #486
What!?!

Chester-le-Street depot has closed?

When did that happen?
MurdnunoC
10 Feb 2023, 6:45 pm #486

What!?!

Chester-le-Street depot has closed?

When did that happen?

10 Feb 2023, 6:57 pm #487

Here's a potentially unpopular opinion, not every historic building should be saved.

Just because it was their first depot, doesn't mean it's important. How much of the depot is actually original?

What does CLS depot have that is significant? What would saving it actually do?

Given the significant amount of upkeep it would require, I highly doubt anyone would be able to raise enough money to stay open more than a year. If someone actually wanted to open a transport museum, it would be far cheaper just leasing a modern building.
streetdeckfan
10 Feb 2023, 6:57 pm #487

Here's a potentially unpopular opinion, not every historic building should be saved.

Just because it was their first depot, doesn't mean it's important. How much of the depot is actually original?

Given the significant amount of upkeep it would require, I highly doubt anyone would be able to raise enough money to stay open more than a year. If someone actually wanted to open a transport museum, it would be far cheaper just leasing a modern building.

Tiger5105

10 Feb 2023, 7:47 pm #488
(10 Feb 2023, 5:17 pm)Andreos1 They've transported whole Co-op's and other buildings in the past, I'm sure they could manage this one.

Given, Beamish will probably have their available funds tied up in building the 50s town as their part of the contribution with the National Lottery, I'd guess they wouldn't have the funds to save any part of the depot as there would be a cost implication for dismantling. They've scaled back the proposed planned buildings at Beamish as it is, presumably because they don't have the full funds.
Tiger5105
10 Feb 2023, 7:47 pm #488

(10 Feb 2023, 5:17 pm)Andreos1 They've transported whole Co-op's and other buildings in the past, I'm sure they could manage this one.

Given, Beamish will probably have their available funds tied up in building the 50s town as their part of the contribution with the National Lottery, I'd guess they wouldn't have the funds to save any part of the depot as there would be a cost implication for dismantling. They've scaled back the proposed planned buildings at Beamish as it is, presumably because they don't have the full funds.

11 Feb 2023, 11:16 am #489

Yes I like the idea of that. If the place is to be torn down then dismantling and keeping at least some part of it for Beamish would be great. Even if it's just the archway part.
Washingtonian
11 Feb 2023, 11:16 am #489

Yes I like the idea of that. If the place is to be torn down then dismantling and keeping at least some part of it for Beamish would be great. Even if it's just the archway part.

Andreos1

11 Feb 2023, 11:28 am #490
(10 Feb 2023, 7:47 pm)Tiger5105 Given, Beamish will probably have their available funds tied up in building the 50s town as their part of the contribution with the National Lottery, I'd guess they wouldn't have the funds to save any part of the depot as there would be a cost implication for dismantling. They've scaled back the proposed planned buildings at Beamish as it is, presumably because they don't have the full funds.

No idea what the current state of funding is there, but I'm sure someone would be willing to donate a pile of bricks.

Andreos1
11 Feb 2023, 11:28 am #490

(10 Feb 2023, 7:47 pm)Tiger5105 Given, Beamish will probably have their available funds tied up in building the 50s town as their part of the contribution with the National Lottery, I'd guess they wouldn't have the funds to save any part of the depot as there would be a cost implication for dismantling. They've scaled back the proposed planned buildings at Beamish as it is, presumably because they don't have the full funds.

No idea what the current state of funding is there, but I'm sure someone would be willing to donate a pile of bricks.

11 Feb 2023, 11:50 am #491
(10 Feb 2023, 6:57 pm)streetdeckfan Here's a potentially unpopular opinion, not every historic building should be saved.

You are entitled to your opinion but you are missing the point. No one said every historic building should be saved. Former original GNE depots such as Stanley, Sunderland Road, Park Lane, Winlaton and Philadelphia have all gone after all. The point is Chester le Street is the company's first ever depot and it brought the first bus services to the area - that is a pretty significant part of history if you ask me! It's no different to somewhere like Bowes Railway for example. They've kept and preserved the trains and kept the original workshops and sheds. There's nothing like that at all for buses anywhere in the area as far as I'm aware.

I think saving the depot could actually attract people to Chester le Street. If it was a museum I'm sure people would come to visit, as a lot of people love history as they love places like Beamish and Bowes Railway. Plus they could arrange some new events in the area to raise funds - such as rallies by the Riverside and have a vintage park and ride service whenever there is a concert or important cricket match. I think building something like another supermarket on the site could actually take more people away from the town centre of CLS as they would have less reason to go there if they get all there shopping done there.

Again my point was the building could be used for several purposes. Storage, preservation work, a museum. I'm not for one minute saying it should stand empty. If the local preservation clubs come together and rented the site together, then these clubs could save some money if they shared the costs. I can think of at least four preservation clubs - NEBPT, Tyneside Heritage vehicles, NNRG and County Durham Bus Preservation Group. That's four clubs operating from four sites, therefore four buildings to run. The former Northern Coal Board building where NNRG are based surely can't be cheap to run as it's huge and it's a listed building.

As I said it's just my opinion. It's very likely it will be the usual shops that are in every town these days - Card Factory, Gregg's, etc.
Washingtonian
11 Feb 2023, 11:50 am #491

(10 Feb 2023, 6:57 pm)streetdeckfan Here's a potentially unpopular opinion, not every historic building should be saved.

You are entitled to your opinion but you are missing the point. No one said every historic building should be saved. Former original GNE depots such as Stanley, Sunderland Road, Park Lane, Winlaton and Philadelphia have all gone after all. The point is Chester le Street is the company's first ever depot and it brought the first bus services to the area - that is a pretty significant part of history if you ask me! It's no different to somewhere like Bowes Railway for example. They've kept and preserved the trains and kept the original workshops and sheds. There's nothing like that at all for buses anywhere in the area as far as I'm aware.

I think saving the depot could actually attract people to Chester le Street. If it was a museum I'm sure people would come to visit, as a lot of people love history as they love places like Beamish and Bowes Railway. Plus they could arrange some new events in the area to raise funds - such as rallies by the Riverside and have a vintage park and ride service whenever there is a concert or important cricket match. I think building something like another supermarket on the site could actually take more people away from the town centre of CLS as they would have less reason to go there if they get all there shopping done there.

Again my point was the building could be used for several purposes. Storage, preservation work, a museum. I'm not for one minute saying it should stand empty. If the local preservation clubs come together and rented the site together, then these clubs could save some money if they shared the costs. I can think of at least four preservation clubs - NEBPT, Tyneside Heritage vehicles, NNRG and County Durham Bus Preservation Group. That's four clubs operating from four sites, therefore four buildings to run. The former Northern Coal Board building where NNRG are based surely can't be cheap to run as it's huge and it's a listed building.

As I said it's just my opinion. It's very likely it will be the usual shops that are in every town these days - Card Factory, Gregg's, etc.

Storx

11 Feb 2023, 12:20 pm #492
(11 Feb 2023, 11:50 am)Washingtonian You are entitled to your opinion but you are missing the point. No one said every historic building should be saved. Former original GNE depots such as Stanley, Sunderland Road, Park Lane, Winlaton and Philadelphia have all gone after all. The point is Chester le Street is the company's first ever depot and it brought the first bus services to the area - that is a pretty significant part of history if you ask me! It's no different to somewhere like Bowes Railway for example. They've kept and preserved the trains and kept the original workshops and sheds. There's nothing like that at all for buses anywhere in the area as far as I'm aware.

Don't disagree with your idea per say but if any depot should be staying as a museum it should be Arriva / United's Jesmond depot. It's a much nicer depot architecturally imo with it's nice Georgian frontage and in a better place aswell.

It'll be interesting to see what happens there as the place is Grade II listed so they can't just go demo'ing it.
Storx
11 Feb 2023, 12:20 pm #492

(11 Feb 2023, 11:50 am)Washingtonian You are entitled to your opinion but you are missing the point. No one said every historic building should be saved. Former original GNE depots such as Stanley, Sunderland Road, Park Lane, Winlaton and Philadelphia have all gone after all. The point is Chester le Street is the company's first ever depot and it brought the first bus services to the area - that is a pretty significant part of history if you ask me! It's no different to somewhere like Bowes Railway for example. They've kept and preserved the trains and kept the original workshops and sheds. There's nothing like that at all for buses anywhere in the area as far as I'm aware.

Don't disagree with your idea per say but if any depot should be staying as a museum it should be Arriva / United's Jesmond depot. It's a much nicer depot architecturally imo with it's nice Georgian frontage and in a better place aswell.

It'll be interesting to see what happens there as the place is Grade II listed so they can't just go demo'ing it.

Tiger5105

11 Feb 2023, 12:48 pm #493
(11 Feb 2023, 11:28 am)Andreos1 No idea what the current state of funding is there, but I'm sure someone would be willing to donate a pile of bricks.
I'm thinking more the cost of dismantling (carefully brick by brick and numbering them, rather than demolishing) and even transporting them, unless there's a generous developer willing to do that!
Tiger5105
11 Feb 2023, 12:48 pm #493

(11 Feb 2023, 11:28 am)Andreos1 No idea what the current state of funding is there, but I'm sure someone would be willing to donate a pile of bricks.
I'm thinking more the cost of dismantling (carefully brick by brick and numbering them, rather than demolishing) and even transporting them, unless there's a generous developer willing to do that!

Andreos1

11 Feb 2023, 1:27 pm #494
(11 Feb 2023, 12:48 pm)Tiger5105 I'm thinking more the cost of dismantling (carefully brick by brick and numbering them, rather than demolishing) and even transporting them, unless there's a generous developer willing to do that!

I'd imagine it's a good PR opportunity!

Andreos1
11 Feb 2023, 1:27 pm #494

(11 Feb 2023, 12:48 pm)Tiger5105 I'm thinking more the cost of dismantling (carefully brick by brick and numbering them, rather than demolishing) and even transporting them, unless there's a generous developer willing to do that!

I'd imagine it's a good PR opportunity!

cbma06

11 Feb 2023, 2:11 pm #495
Hasn’t GNE got some sort of partnership with Beamish?,and hold there own company events there?,and advertisements there only need move the original part of the depot and not the sections which were added later in time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
11 Feb 2023, 2:11 pm #495

Hasn’t GNE got some sort of partnership with Beamish?,and hold there own company events there?,and advertisements there only need move the original part of the depot and not the sections which were added later in time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 Feb 2023, 11:56 pm #496
Just because something happened in a building, it doesn't mean that building is important.

I go back to my question, how much of CLS depot is actually original? Are there any original, unique features inside?
If there are no original features to transfer over, then, in my opinion, it would be a complete waste of time and money.

Let's say, hypothetically, Beamish wanted it. How much of it could they actually take?
The place is (probably) laden with asbestos, so that would have to be disposed of at great cost. After that's gone, what are they left with, a few brick walls that they'll have to figure out something to do with?
streetdeckfan
11 Feb 2023, 11:56 pm #496

Just because something happened in a building, it doesn't mean that building is important.

I go back to my question, how much of CLS depot is actually original? Are there any original, unique features inside?
If there are no original features to transfer over, then, in my opinion, it would be a complete waste of time and money.

Let's say, hypothetically, Beamish wanted it. How much of it could they actually take?
The place is (probably) laden with asbestos, so that would have to be disposed of at great cost. After that's gone, what are they left with, a few brick walls that they'll have to figure out something to do with?

13 Feb 2023, 8:37 pm #497
(11 Feb 2023, 12:20 pm)Storx Don't disagree with your idea per say but if any depot should be staying as a museum it should be Arriva / United's Jesmond depot. It's a much nicer depot architecturally imo with it's nice Georgian frontage and in a better place aswell.

Yes it sure is a nice depot and it's good to know that it's future is protected with it being Grade II listed anyway.
Washingtonian
13 Feb 2023, 8:37 pm #497

(11 Feb 2023, 12:20 pm)Storx Don't disagree with your idea per say but if any depot should be staying as a museum it should be Arriva / United's Jesmond depot. It's a much nicer depot architecturally imo with it's nice Georgian frontage and in a better place aswell.

Yes it sure is a nice depot and it's good to know that it's future is protected with it being Grade II listed anyway.

13 Feb 2023, 8:59 pm #498
(11 Feb 2023, 11:56 pm)streetdeckfan Just because something happened in a building, it doesn't mean that building is important.

Looking at the photos it looks to me that a large portion of the depot is original, similar to that of Philadelphia. I think the front of the building does look attractive and has some kerb appeal as it does look historic. The Northern archway sure is original and GNE have often used this for photo shoots whenever something significant happens. The archway should at least be carefully removed and preserved if demolition was to occur. I'm sure someone would be interested in that. I would also like to see the Northern General Transport sign from the rear of the depot for preserved too.

There is a problem either way if the place is full of asbestos as it will cost a significant amount of money to remove it if it was to be demolished. If the builidings were to remain then they wouldn't necessarily need to remove it if it is undisturbed. As much as I'd love to see the depot saved I can't see it happening and would be amazed and delighted if it was. I'm pretty sure something is being lined up for the site anyway. I'm just giving my thoughts about what could be done to save it as once it's gone, it's gone for good and can never be brought back.
Washingtonian
13 Feb 2023, 8:59 pm #498

(11 Feb 2023, 11:56 pm)streetdeckfan Just because something happened in a building, it doesn't mean that building is important.

Looking at the photos it looks to me that a large portion of the depot is original, similar to that of Philadelphia. I think the front of the building does look attractive and has some kerb appeal as it does look historic. The Northern archway sure is original and GNE have often used this for photo shoots whenever something significant happens. The archway should at least be carefully removed and preserved if demolition was to occur. I'm sure someone would be interested in that. I would also like to see the Northern General Transport sign from the rear of the depot for preserved too.

There is a problem either way if the place is full of asbestos as it will cost a significant amount of money to remove it if it was to be demolished. If the builidings were to remain then they wouldn't necessarily need to remove it if it is undisturbed. As much as I'd love to see the depot saved I can't see it happening and would be amazed and delighted if it was. I'm pretty sure something is being lined up for the site anyway. I'm just giving my thoughts about what could be done to save it as once it's gone, it's gone for good and can never be brought back.

Rob44

14 Feb 2023, 11:23 am #499

Any chance you can come and fit some loft insulation for me..... any time next week would be great
Rob44
14 Feb 2023, 11:23 am #499

Any chance you can come and fit some loft insulation for me..... any time next week would be great

14 Feb 2023, 7:24 pm #500
(14 Feb 2023, 11:23 am)Rob44 Any chance you can come and fit some loft insulation for me..... any time next week would be great
I've been putting off doing my own, the extension currently has no ceiling or insulation at all, in fact you can see the breather membrane from the rooms

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
14 Feb 2023, 7:24 pm #500

(14 Feb 2023, 11:23 am)Rob44 Any chance you can come and fit some loft insulation for me..... any time next week would be great
I've been putting off doing my own, the extension currently has no ceiling or insulation at all, in fact you can see the breather membrane from the rooms

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

Pages (26) Previous 124 25 26 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average