Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Stagecoach North East Tees Flex

Tees Flex

Tees Flex

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (5) Previous 13 4 5 Next
Storx

26 Jan 2023, 9:49 pm #61
(26 Jan 2023, 8:44 pm)col87 I not sure using examples in Tyneside helps something that’s for the Tees Valley.    

What might work would be a mixture like this so using Hartlepool as an example.   

Supported services to all Villages and North Tees Hospital Monday - Saturday daytime. Much better than trying to book Teesflex which you might not be able to get in time.  Last service from North Tees at 8:10 PM allowing for shift change and visiting hours plus supported service on Sundays.  

DRT model for Sundays/bank holiday ( villages plus areas of town without a commercial service such as Rift House , West Park, Burbank areas.  

I think it would work like that.

Must admit I just mentioned up here as I don't know Teesside well enough village wise. 

Yeah that wouldn't be the worst. It's an awkward one to fix as I don't think they'll ever work for rural areas as there's just not the demand. I still think it'll actually be better to work with a local taxi firm and do it for the 4 people who use them no doubt across all the villages tbh. 

DRT if it's ever going to work is to be the last mile which is a massive problem in some areas.
Storx
26 Jan 2023, 9:49 pm #61

(26 Jan 2023, 8:44 pm)col87 I not sure using examples in Tyneside helps something that’s for the Tees Valley.    

What might work would be a mixture like this so using Hartlepool as an example.   

Supported services to all Villages and North Tees Hospital Monday - Saturday daytime. Much better than trying to book Teesflex which you might not be able to get in time.  Last service from North Tees at 8:10 PM allowing for shift change and visiting hours plus supported service on Sundays.  

DRT model for Sundays/bank holiday ( villages plus areas of town without a commercial service such as Rift House , West Park, Burbank areas.  

I think it would work like that.

Must admit I just mentioned up here as I don't know Teesside well enough village wise. 

Yeah that wouldn't be the worst. It's an awkward one to fix as I don't think they'll ever work for rural areas as there's just not the demand. I still think it'll actually be better to work with a local taxi firm and do it for the 4 people who use them no doubt across all the villages tbh. 

DRT if it's ever going to work is to be the last mile which is a massive problem in some areas.

Adrian

27 Jan 2023, 10:53 am #62
(26 Jan 2023, 8:37 pm)RobinHood Clearly TeesFlex isn't a viable solution though, otherwise it wouldn't be at risk of ending.

All it does is provide further evidence that A) DRT once again doesn't work; and B) these niche journeys that fall outside of the existing bus network will never be sustainable no matter how many suggest otherwise or petition for it.

I'm minded to agree, but only because I don't think DRT is a viable solution across such a vast area as the whole of the Tees Valley CA. It's been pushed in as a sticking-plaster approach, instead of working with operators to ensure some of the more common travel needs are met.

It's costing the authority a million a year to provide, and I'd be very surprised if Stagecoach weren't making at least 25% from that. It'd likely be a lot cheaper to work out some fully secured services, even running only a couple times a day, covering a lot of these smaller settlements.

I don't think a lot of these journeys are niche; they're people trying to access shops and services, which is essential. Living in a smaller settlement shouldn't mean you're cut off from the world, but its further evidence that the objectives of private enterprise are at odds with the objectives of good public services.

(26 Jan 2023, 9:21 pm)Andreos1 That's like saying a commercial bus network doesn't work because they cut, cancel and rely on public money to fund it.

What I will say, is that it's clearly another example of a network which has flaws and despite those making the decisions, thinking they know best - they clearly don't.

Well yeah, it's so successful that it's been propped up and over-reliant on public money for years. You'll be telling me that branding doesn't work next. Smile

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
27 Jan 2023, 10:53 am #62

(26 Jan 2023, 8:37 pm)RobinHood Clearly TeesFlex isn't a viable solution though, otherwise it wouldn't be at risk of ending.

All it does is provide further evidence that A) DRT once again doesn't work; and B) these niche journeys that fall outside of the existing bus network will never be sustainable no matter how many suggest otherwise or petition for it.

I'm minded to agree, but only because I don't think DRT is a viable solution across such a vast area as the whole of the Tees Valley CA. It's been pushed in as a sticking-plaster approach, instead of working with operators to ensure some of the more common travel needs are met.

It's costing the authority a million a year to provide, and I'd be very surprised if Stagecoach weren't making at least 25% from that. It'd likely be a lot cheaper to work out some fully secured services, even running only a couple times a day, covering a lot of these smaller settlements.

I don't think a lot of these journeys are niche; they're people trying to access shops and services, which is essential. Living in a smaller settlement shouldn't mean you're cut off from the world, but its further evidence that the objectives of private enterprise are at odds with the objectives of good public services.

(26 Jan 2023, 9:21 pm)Andreos1 That's like saying a commercial bus network doesn't work because they cut, cancel and rely on public money to fund it.

What I will say, is that it's clearly another example of a network which has flaws and despite those making the decisions, thinking they know best - they clearly don't.

Well yeah, it's so successful that it's been propped up and over-reliant on public money for years. You'll be telling me that branding doesn't work next. Smile

Andreos1

27 Jan 2023, 6:44 pm #63
(27 Jan 2023, 10:53 am)Adrian I'm minded to agree, but only because I don't think DRT is a viable solution across such a vast area as the whole of the Tees Valley CA. It's been pushed in as a sticking-plaster approach, instead of working with operators to ensure some of the more common travel needs are met.

I think we all know the answer to that one Wink

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
27 Jan 2023, 6:44 pm #63

(27 Jan 2023, 10:53 am)Adrian I'm minded to agree, but only because I don't think DRT is a viable solution across such a vast area as the whole of the Tees Valley CA. It's been pushed in as a sticking-plaster approach, instead of working with operators to ensure some of the more common travel needs are met.

I think we all know the answer to that one Wink

GuyParkRoyal

30 Jan 2023, 3:04 pm #64
PB0001987/309 Cancelled (Short notice)
CLEVELAND TRANSIT LTD

Route: Darlington & Stockton Tees Flex to Darlington & Stockton Tees Flex

Service number: T

Service type: Flexible Registration

Effective date: 25 Feb 2023

PB0001987/308 Cancelled (Short notice)
CLEVELAND TRANSIT LTD

Route: Foggy Furze Stagecoach Depot to Foggy Furze Stagecoach Depot

Service number: H (Hou)

PB0001987/307 Cancelled (Short notice)
CLEVELAND TRANSIT LTD

Route: Portrack Stagecoach Depot to Portrack Stagecoach Depot

Service number: R ® (Rou)

GuyParkRoyal
30 Jan 2023, 3:04 pm #64

PB0001987/309 Cancelled (Short notice)
CLEVELAND TRANSIT LTD

CLEVELAND TRANSIT LTD

CLEVELAND TRANSIT LTD

30 Jan 2023, 4:39 pm #65
(30 Jan 2023, 3:04 pm)GuyParkRoyal PB0001987/309 Cancelled (Short notice)
CLEVELAND TRANSIT LTD

CLEVELAND TRANSIT LTD

CLEVELAND TRANSIT LTD

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and.../tees-flex

see update here.
Economic505
30 Jan 2023, 4:39 pm #65

(30 Jan 2023, 3:04 pm)GuyParkRoyal PB0001987/309 Cancelled (Short notice)
CLEVELAND TRANSIT LTD

CLEVELAND TRANSIT LTD

CLEVELAND TRANSIT LTD

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and.../tees-flex

see update here.

col87

30 Jan 2023, 5:24 pm #66
I think we can say that will be the end of it then.
col87
30 Jan 2023, 5:24 pm #66

I think we can say that will be the end of it then.

Andreos1

31 Jan 2023, 9:45 am #67
https://petitions.sumofus.org/petitions/save-tees-flex

The inevitable petition has been set up.

Andreos1
31 Jan 2023, 9:45 am #67

https://petitions.sumofus.org/petitions/save-tees-flex

col87

31 Jan 2023, 5:40 pm #68
(31 Jan 2023, 9:45 am)Andreos1 https://petitions.sumofus.org/petitions/save-tees-flex

Ben must have got his mates involved half them comments make no sense as am fairly sure it didn’t start till about 8 Am and finished at 8PM
col87
31 Jan 2023, 5:40 pm #68

(31 Jan 2023, 9:45 am)Andreos1 https://petitions.sumofus.org/petitions/save-tees-flex

Ben must have got his mates involved half them comments make no sense as am fairly sure it didn’t start till about 8 Am and finished at 8PM

Unber43

31 Jan 2023, 9:16 pm #69
Honestly I think services like TeesFlex would be a great addition to services in major areas. I think Peterlee could massively benefit from them. Instead of waiting at Peterlee Bus Station for say 45 mins for an X10 book it so you're there for 10 mins before
Unber43
31 Jan 2023, 9:16 pm #69

Honestly I think services like TeesFlex would be a great addition to services in major areas. I think Peterlee could massively benefit from them. Instead of waiting at Peterlee Bus Station for say 45 mins for an X10 book it so you're there for 10 mins before

N391OTY

02 Feb 2023, 6:47 pm #70
(31 Jan 2023, 5:40 pm)col87 Ben must have got his mates involved half them comments make no sense as am fairly sure it didn’t start till about 8 Am and finished at 8PM

They can't be very good mates if they can't even get his name right. Ben Houghen I've heard of, but not sure who this Ben Hougher is. Wonder if it is pronounced 'huffer' ?
N391OTY
02 Feb 2023, 6:47 pm #70

(31 Jan 2023, 5:40 pm)col87 Ben must have got his mates involved half them comments make no sense as am fairly sure it didn’t start till about 8 Am and finished at 8PM

They can't be very good mates if they can't even get his name right. Ben Houghen I've heard of, but not sure who this Ben Hougher is. Wonder if it is pronounced 'huffer' ?

col87

20 Feb 2023, 12:07 pm #71
Well Ben not wanting to lose one of his vanity projects has extended it by 18 months so plenty more chances to see them parked up out of use on Victoria Road or Stockton High Street. I bet the drivers love them as it seems an easy shift.
col87
20 Feb 2023, 12:07 pm #71

Well Ben not wanting to lose one of his vanity projects has extended it by 18 months so plenty more chances to see them parked up out of use on Victoria Road or Stockton High Street. I bet the drivers love them as it seems an easy shift.

20 Feb 2023, 2:33 pm #72
Someone might want to tell SNE that (assuming they are continuing as the operator): https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and.../tees-flex
Still says: Tees Flex was introduced in February 2020, on an initial 3-year trial, with funds provided by Tees Valley Combined Authority. The contract’s end date is 24 February 2023, and we have not been asked to continue beyond that date.

Seems a bizarre way to manage a service...leave communitis thinking they are about to be cut off, let the operator announce it ceasing then seemingly catch said operator unawares and extend by 18 months at the eleventh hour. And we think Nexus are bad!
stagecoachbusdepot
20 Feb 2023, 2:33 pm #72

Someone might want to tell SNE that (assuming they are continuing as the operator): https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and.../tees-flex
Still says: Tees Flex was introduced in February 2020, on an initial 3-year trial, with funds provided by Tees Valley Combined Authority. The contract’s end date is 24 February 2023, and we have not been asked to continue beyond that date.

Seems a bizarre way to manage a service...leave communitis thinking they are about to be cut off, let the operator announce it ceasing then seemingly catch said operator unawares and extend by 18 months at the eleventh hour. And we think Nexus are bad!

Adrian

20 Feb 2023, 4:47 pm #73
(20 Feb 2023, 12:07 pm)col87 Well Ben not wanting to lose one of his vanity projects has extended it by 18 months so plenty more chances to see them parked up out of use on Victoria Road or Stockton High Street.  I bet the drivers love them as it seems an easy shift.

Extended just beyond when he's next back up for election in 2024 then! 

I think you may be right. It'll be used politically by his opponents if it's seen to fail, so much like the airport, he'll continue to pour money into it.

Adrian
20 Feb 2023, 4:47 pm #73

(20 Feb 2023, 12:07 pm)col87 Well Ben not wanting to lose one of his vanity projects has extended it by 18 months so plenty more chances to see them parked up out of use on Victoria Road or Stockton High Street.  I bet the drivers love them as it seems an easy shift.

Extended just beyond when he's next back up for election in 2024 then! 

I think you may be right. It'll be used politically by his opponents if it's seen to fail, so much like the airport, he'll continue to pour money into it.

col87

21 Feb 2023, 8:50 am #74
(20 Feb 2023, 2:33 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Someone might want to tell SNE that (assuming they are continuing as the operator): https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and.../tees-flex

Seems a bizarre way to manage a service...leave communitis thinking they are about to be cut off, let the operator announce it ceasing then seemingly catch said operator unawares and extend by 18 months at the eleventh hour.  And we think Nexus are bad!
Yes considering Stagecoach own the buses unless Ben has somehow managed to buy them and is going to drive them himself then it’s turned into a right farce.
col87
21 Feb 2023, 8:50 am #74

(20 Feb 2023, 2:33 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Someone might want to tell SNE that (assuming they are continuing as the operator): https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and.../tees-flex

Seems a bizarre way to manage a service...leave communitis thinking they are about to be cut off, let the operator announce it ceasing then seemingly catch said operator unawares and extend by 18 months at the eleventh hour.  And we think Nexus are bad!
Yes considering Stagecoach own the buses unless Ben has somehow managed to buy them and is going to drive them himself then it’s turned into a right farce.

21 Feb 2023, 6:29 pm #75
(21 Feb 2023, 8:50 am)col87 Yes considering Stagecoach own the buses unless Ben has somehow managed to buy them and is going to drive them himself then it’s turned into a right farce.

Stagecoach website has been updated today confirming the extension.  A last minute stunt to save face no doubt.  You don't just suddenly find out the service you are commissioning is expiring with no notice - Houchen's office should have had a plan (whether terminate, reprocure, extend) sorted well ahead of Friday instead of this ballsup.
stagecoachbusdepot
21 Feb 2023, 6:29 pm #75

(21 Feb 2023, 8:50 am)col87 Yes considering Stagecoach own the buses unless Ben has somehow managed to buy them and is going to drive them himself then it’s turned into a right farce.

Stagecoach website has been updated today confirming the extension.  A last minute stunt to save face no doubt.  You don't just suddenly find out the service you are commissioning is expiring with no notice - Houchen's office should have had a plan (whether terminate, reprocure, extend) sorted well ahead of Friday instead of this ballsup.

tyresmoke

02 Mar 2023, 9:43 pm #76

They don’t own them… but yes they’ve extended the contract by 18 months. Let’s hope they actually put something in place for when the contract runs out next time. The world could look very different in 18 months time though…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
02 Mar 2023, 9:43 pm #76

They don’t own them… but yes they’ve extended the contract by 18 months. Let’s hope they actually put something in place for when the contract runs out next time. The world could look very different in 18 months time though…

03 Mar 2023, 12:59 am #77
Don't Stagecoach own the older Sprinters that were once part of the Late and Overloaded (Little and Often) experiment in Ashford?

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
03 Mar 2023, 12:59 am #77

Don't Stagecoach own the older Sprinters that were once part of the Late and Overloaded (Little and Often) experiment in Ashford?

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Lollist

04 Mar 2023, 9:45 am #78
Why dont they just open nore bus routes? Instead of dhitty expensive taxis cant believe ppl actually signed it should be signing for more bus routes
Lollist
04 Mar 2023, 9:45 am #78

Why dont they just open nore bus routes? Instead of dhitty expensive taxis cant believe ppl actually signed it should be signing for more bus routes

tyresmoke

04 Mar 2023, 6:47 pm #79
(03 Mar 2023, 12:59 am)Rapidsnap Don't Stagecoach own the older Sprinters that were once part of the Late and Overloaded (Little and Often) experiment in Ashford?

The older ones they do yeah, the newer ones are leased

tyresmoke
04 Mar 2023, 6:47 pm #79

(03 Mar 2023, 12:59 am)Rapidsnap Don't Stagecoach own the older Sprinters that were once part of the Late and Overloaded (Little and Often) experiment in Ashford?

The older ones they do yeah, the newer ones are leased

Lollist

05 Mar 2023, 9:17 am #80
Should of terminated they need tk be focusing on actually making bus routes and not taxis
Lollist
05 Mar 2023, 9:17 am #80

Should of terminated they need tk be focusing on actually making bus routes and not taxis

Pages (5) Previous 13 4 5 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average