You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Disruptions and driver shortages

Site Administrator
(07 Feb 2023, 11:36 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote Almost true, except for the extra pay increases that should be given to people like yourself.

One feeds the other, really!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RE: Disruptions and driver shortages
(07 Feb 2023, 10:04 pm)Dan wrote It was moved to Washington because Go North East guaranteed drivers their choice of depot when Chester-le-Street closed, rather than them being forced to transfer to the depot that needed the most staff (Riverside).

Once driver numbers settled, it was always the plan for services to move back to the depots which they are most suited to operate from - i.e the 58 at Riverside.

Prior to 29 January, lost mileage was almost nil at most depots on most days (as had been observed on this forum), so it was the right time for the first move back to Riverside.

Running services from the wrong depot is not only very costly and inefficient, but also results in extra drivers being needed to run those services, making the recruitment gap even bigger. Presumably the surplus of drivers from the outgoing depot might facilitate frequencies being restored on routes with temporary reductions, ie 8 at Washington and 65 at Deptford.

The 6, 25 and 28/29 are the other non-scholars services which, at some point, will transfer to Riverside.

In the meantime with the transfer of the 58, Riverside are now short-staffed again (hence the rise in short-notice cancellations). Recruitment efforts are being focused on Gateshead, and some drivers from depots which are over-staffed (ie Percy Main, Consett and Washington) are temporarily (and voluntarily) moving to Riverside. In the short-term there will be some disruption at Riverside again, but the company’s financial performance should improve and overall lost mileage will reduce.

As I have said several times now, the company is under new leadership - and they are clearly making every effort to improve the financial performance of the business.

Out of interest, is there a reason why Riverside seems to struggle more than other depots for recruitment?
(08 Feb 2023, 12:27 pm)Chris 1 wrote Out of interest, is there a reason why Riverside seems to struggle more than other depots for recruitment?

Well its bad enough trying to get out of costco so imagine a long sh£t shift driving a bus only to jump in our car and have to wade through loads of traffic before you get home.
(08 Feb 2023, 3:38 pm)Rob44 wrote Well its bad enough trying to get out of costco so imagine a long sh£t shift driving a bus only to jump in our car and have to wade through loads of traffic before you get home.

Not to mention there's competition in the area who pay more and, based on the lack of moaning coming into the public, have a better staff morale aswell. 

I do believe Stagecoach Walkergate and Slatyford poached a lot of drivers from both GNE and Arriva from things I've read.
(08 Feb 2023, 3:54 pm)Storx wrote Not to mention there's competition in the area who pay more and, based on the lack of moaning coming into the public, have a better staff morale aswell. 

I do believe Stagecoach Walkergate and Slatyford poached a lot of drivers from both GNE and Arriva from things I've read.

They certainly poached lots of drivers from arriva at Jesmond - thats why the 43, 44 and 45 had loads of cancelations last year
(08 Feb 2023, 3:54 pm)Storx wrote Not to mention there's competition in the area who pay more and, based on the lack of moaning coming into the public, have a better staff morale aswell. 

(08 Feb 2023, 3:57 pm)Rob44 wrote They certainly poached lots of drivers from arriva at Jesmond - thats why the 43, 44 and 45 had loads of cancelations last year

perhaps that is why it is rumoured that they have went for more tendered services? And there are virtually no cancellations even with the 317 needing extra drivers?
Currently on an X21 with a driver learning the route, and he's having real trouble understanding the accent down here!

It's quite funny how the mentor was on about it being a struggle getting around Woodhouse, they should have seen the old route around when they merged the 18 and X21, you could barely get a solo around!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
(26 Jan 2023, 5:30 am)Dan wrote Contrary to what The Chronicle would have you believe, GNE is fully staffed (albeit over-staffed in some locations and under-staffed at Riverside). Cancellations have been minimal for weeks and most days have had no cancellations for the past week or so.

While it is encouraging that GNE do now have sufficient staff, this might in part be due to service reductions to match available staff numbers.
(19 Feb 2023, 12:49 pm)Metroline1511 wrote While it is encouraging that GNE do now have sufficient staff, this might in part be due to service reductions to match available staff numbers.

Looks like they're over-recruiting or there's another tranche of leavers that need back-filling, in this article from their former Northern Echo fanboy/mouthpiece. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-64679128
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(09 Mar 2023, 7:09 pm)idiot wrote As annoying as it is as it's the bus I needed, you can't fault the clarity of it.
It's a shame GNE can't do it! They just pretend it's running still, or just clear it off!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
(09 Mar 2023, 8:36 pm)Unber43 wrote How are SC Cancellations now? And Arrivas?

Can’t comment on Arriva, but in the last few months I haven’t seen any for stagecoach newcastle.
(09 Mar 2023, 10:28 pm)idiot wrote First one I've seen a while for Stagecoach tbh

Stagecoach Sunderland's had quite a few cancellations in the last week or so.

23 was badly effected last week.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Whenever the Metro is off there should be 3 spare deckers parked at Park Lane, as they were over 40 mins late, however if there was say 3 parked up extra it would be much easier to leave on time. (provided the drivers didn't start their meal break late)
R.i.p x66 tomorrow

4 X66 will not run tomorrow in a row

16.35,16.45,16.55,17.05 from Gateshead

16.49,16.59,17.09,17.19 all cancelled in a row
According to the GNE website, it seems it’s just Riverside with planned cancellations tomorrow, which has been the case for a while now, in the main. It make you wonder why the 58 was moved back to Riverside when they’re struggling to cover lots of the services they already had, another - dare I say it - short sighted decision?
Site Administrator
(20 Mar 2023, 2:17 am)Drifter60 wrote According to the GNE website, it seems it’s just Riverside with planned cancellations tomorrow, which has been the case for a while now, in the main. It make you wonder why the 58 was moved back to Riverside when they’re struggling to cover lots of the services they already had, another - dare I say it - short sighted decision?

Every other depot is now fully (even over-)staffed. All willing volunteers to temporarily transfer to Riverside have been used up, which is why GNE is now running extra work such as Metro Replacement again, but not from Riverside.

Riverside is expected to be fully staffed by the end of this month.

Moving the 58 back to Riverside was the right decision - I have previously explained the cost savings associated with this (so crucial for a loss-making company), as well as the fact lost mileage at Riverside can be spread across a wide number of services rather than concentrated on a very small number (customer impact is far greater when there is lost mileage at Washington).

(20 Mar 2023, 4:30 am)Dan wrote Every other depot is now fully (even over-)staffed. All willing volunteers to temporarily transfer to Riverside have been used up, which is why GNE is now running extra work such as Metro Replacement again, but not from Riverside.

Riverside is expected to be fully staffed by the end of this month.

Moving the 58 back to Riverside was the right decision - I have previously explained the cost savings associated with this (so crucial for a loss-making company), as well as the fact lost mileage at Riverside can be spread across a wide number of services rather than concentrated on a very small number (customer impact is far greater when there is lost mileage at Washington).

I know you have, I have seen the post where you mentioned that, but if that’s the argument it begs the question why it was ever considered in the first place. Surely it made financial sense - on balance - at one stage, otherwise the 58 wouldn’t have ended up at Washington in the first place. I appreciate the remote changeovers were an additional cost that didn’t need to be there but the fact that Gateshead still have loads of cancellations today I’d still suggest that maybe the albeit temporary arrangements could have lasted a little longer yet, especially if as you say, Gateshead depot will have more staff available quite soon.
(20 Mar 2023, 11:20 am)Drifter60 wrote I know you have, I have seen the post where you mentioned that, but if that’s the argument it begs the question why it was ever considered in the first place. Surely it made financial sense - on balance - at one stage, otherwise the 58 wouldn’t have ended up at Washington in the first place. I appreciate the remote changeovers were an additional cost that didn’t need to be there but the fact that Gateshead still have loads of cancellations today I’d still suggest that maybe the albeit temporary arrangements could have lasted a little longer yet, especially if as you say, Gateshead depot will have more staff available quite soon.

I imagine the changes on the 26th March will help with the situation, especially with the 97 moving to Percy Main (as the 1).
How less / more viable has it been running the 6 out of Consett?

Could GNE not keep the 6 at Consett and move the X30/X31 to Riverside? Driver changes for X30/X31 done at Dunston or Eldon Square (latter with drivers shuttled via Metrocentre > NCL services calling on Handy Drive)

Service changes:
- 6 to Stanley only
- X31 extended to Lanchester
- X30/X31 standalone
- X45/X71/X72 interwork

Fleet movements:
- 6356-63 + 6376 & 6377 to Consett for 47 & X45/X71/X72
- 6308-13 to Consett for 47 & X45/X71/X72
- 6314, 6334, 6335 spare at Consett covering Euro 6 decker PVR of 16x
- All E400MMC to Riverside for X10, X21 and X30/X31. Total PVR of 16x with 6336, 6337, 6338 and 6339 spare
- 6043-48 freed up to spare, misc or secondary route roles

From an engineering POV, would make more sense Riverside having a 'selection' of E400s to choose from getting a hammering up and down the A19 rather than the usual same 4 out on the road. I believe that bar the legacy Sapphire branding on 7541-52, Arriva Ashington are doing the same for all their 'X' routes with some having days on the X14/X15/X18/X20 then other days on the X21/X22.
The 6 should be incorporated into the 30

1ph to Quaking Houses
1ph to Lanchester via Quaking Houses.

Also while a lot of the chargers on the E400MMC Dont work, why switch them for an X21 where the chargers don't charge your phone at all (unless at plug socket)
X21 to Bishop came into Gateshead the wrong way with 'on diversion' on the display.

Looking on Bus Times it got to the castle and had to turn around and do a lap around Newcastle to go across the Tyne Bridge instead.
Lets say, go back to Pre-July 2022 changes, right, lets say non of the services were cut or had frequency reductions, i would hate to see how many cancellations there would be now, not even just at Riverside but Consett and Washington. Even Deptford who held out strong for most of the time before July 2022 fell off near the end.
Thank god there are no cancellations of the 27 tomorrow morning, and no 900 till 9 am due to schools probably. The 27 even being every 15mins and deckers don't have the capacity to replace the metro. For Anyone getting the 27 tomorrow morning, may you find peace in your suffering.