You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: July 2023 changes
The Angel P&R will be a white elephant one of the best Park and ride locations we have in the North East and no one uses it or it is never advertised is The MetroCentre coach park. Only time it is used is for Match days

Problem with Park and rides ran by Nexus is they charge you to park your car then charge you again for using public transport

Durham has the right idea

£2 an hour to park in the city centre or £2 all day on park and ride.

To get Great Park up and running again I think the X arrival services should go via the park and ride then express to town avoiding Regent Centre and Gosforth by going straight down A1 and off at Kingston Park along to Cowgate and down the A167 into Newcastle via bus lanes

It will also stop the NIMBY cyclist complaining about buses using Gosforth

Putting the Express buses via Great Park means a special fare can be created and no additional buses would have to be used

If Great park is so underused why not create a £10 a week car parking pass for the Airport and have a bus park ride and fly initiative (may need to be a 24hr bus service )

Surely as the 342 goes everywhere possible a mini diversion around the Airport and Great Park would be doable ???
(12 Jun 2023, 2:24 am)DaveFromUpNorth wrote The Angel P&R will be a white elephant one of the best Park and ride locations we have in the North East and no one uses it or it is never advertised is The MetroCentre coach park. Only time it is used is for Match days

Problem with Park and rides ran by Nexus is they charge you to park your car then charge you again for using public transport

£2 an hour to park in the city centre or £2 all day on park and ride.

To get Great Park up and running again I think the X arrival services should go via the park and ride then express to town avoiding Regent Centre and Gosforth by going straight down A1 and off at Kingston Park along to Cowgate and down the A167 into Newcastle via bus lanes

Putting the Express buses via Great Park means a special fare can be created and no additional buses would have to be used

If Great park is so underused why not create a £10 a week car parking pass for the Airport and have a bus park ride and fly initiative (may need to be a 24hr bus service )

Surely as the 342 goes everywhere possible a mini diversion around the Airport and Great Park would be doable ???
Durham park and ride is great, we use it whenever we need to go into Durham proper.
If it wasn't so reasonably priced we wouldn't bother using it, and certainly wouldn't even bother going into Durham (not that there's anything there anyway!)

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
(12 Jun 2023, 2:24 am)DaveFromUpNorth wrote The Angel P&R will be a white elephant one of the best Park and ride locations we have in the North East and no one uses it or it is never advertised  is The MetroCentre coach park. Only time it is used is for Match days

£2 an hour to park in the city centre or £2 all day on park and  ride.

To  get Great Park up and running again I think the X arrival services should go via the park and ride then express to town avoiding Regent Centre and Gosforth by going straight down A1 and off at Kingston Park along to Cowgate and down the A167 into Newcastle via bus lanes

If Great park is so underused why not create a £10 a week car parking pass for the Airport and have a bus park ride and fly initiative  (may need to be a 24hr bus service )

Even known I don't disagree per say. I don't think sending the expresses is the right idea. The P&R is built too far into the place so would add a good 8 minute or so onto the timings and when it only takes 20 minutes from the last stop in Cramlington that's quite substantial. Not to mention there's quite a few people who interchange to the Metro at the Regent Centre so would be unpopular.

I never understand why they built that where it is, it's just too far to get there, if you want a P&R to the North you might aswell just drive to the Regent Centre which is roughly the same time away but has the choice of about 10 buses or the Metro.

They should just abandon that and ideally built one just off Kenton Bar interchange on the grass to the West (there's no restrictions there) and use the X47, X77, X78 and X79 as the P&R buses. It's the best place for one round there.
(12 Jun 2023, 6:49 am)Storx wrote Even known I don't disagree per say. I don't think sending the expresses is the right idea. The P&R is built too far into the place so would add a good 8 minute or so onto the timings and when it only takes 20 minutes from the last stop in Cramlington that's quite substantial.

I never understand why they built that where it is, it's just too far to get there, if you want a P&R to the North you might aswell just drive to the Regent Centre which is roughly the same time away but has the choice of about 10 buses or the Metro.

there is a reason no one uses refent centre p&R and its called Schools in Gosforth!
(12 Jun 2023, 6:50 am)Rob44 wrote there is a reason no one uses refent centre p&R and its called Schools in Gosforth!

Aye that's true mind, it's fine though you can miss both by driving around by Cowgate where there's no traffic heading into town at least and Gosforth High Street is a car park for both at rush hour anyway - really need to do something about it rather than cycle lanes when there's a perfect one running around the back.
(10 Jun 2023, 11:39 am)Michael wrote 23rd July 2023:

PB0003954/686
Variation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 58 (58, X58) Follingsby Amazon Newcastle

PB0003954/122
Variation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 51, 52 (51, 52) Gateshead Gateshead

PB0003954/86
Variation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED 93,94 (93, 94) Gateshead Gateshead

PB0003954/690
Variation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED Q3 (Q3) Wallsend Great Park

PB0003954/1272
Variation GO NORTH EAST LIMITED X21 (X21) West Auckland Newcastle

All time revisions, apart from X21 - Time and Route
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(13 Jun 2023, 1:16 pm)Michael wrote All time revisions, apart from X21 - Time and Route
Wonder if they'll divert it down to the new retail park in Tindale? Or maybe they're scrapping the West Auckland extension although?

(13 Jun 2023, 4:52 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Wonder if they'll divert it down to the new retail park in Tindale? Or maybe they're scrapping the West Auckland extension although?

Given that Arriva are reducing their frequency to West Auckland, would be an odd time to back down
(13 Jun 2023, 5:53 pm)peter wrote Given that Arriva are reducing their frequency to West Auckland, would be an odd time to back down

Tbf the village is stupidly overserved - well if you want to go to Bishop Auckland and Durham at least since the buses don't go anywhere else ie. Darlington.

2 BPH is probably more than enough tbh, nvm 5/6.
(13 Jun 2023, 6:01 pm)Storx wrote Tbf the village is stupidly overserved - well if you want to go to Bishop Auckland and Durham at least since the buses don't go anywhere else ie. Darlington.

2 BPH is probably more than enough tbh, nvm 5/6.
There does seem to be a fair number of people on the buses whenever I've used them like. Having the retail parks, Sainsbury's, Tesco Etc at Tindale probably helps justify the level of service.

(13 Jun 2023, 5:53 pm)peter wrote Given that Arriva are reducing their frequency to West Auckland, would be an odd time to back down
It's only dropping from a 15 min frequency to a 20 min frequency so I doubt would make a massive amount of difference.
(13 Jun 2023, 6:04 pm)streetdeckfan wrote There does seem to be a fair number of people on the buses whenever I've used them like. Having the retail parks, Sainsbury's, Tesco Etc at Tindale probably helps justify the level of service.

Do many go past the retail park like? Seems really overbussed around there from an outsider yet other areas are virtually busless like Coundon (down to hourly) yet 5 buses go via nothing. Massive areas of Spennymoor to the North and the West of Bishop Auckland which are virtually busless aswell.

You'd think they'd be better having a 'slow' bus which services some of them then maybe an X6 which does the X21 route but they work with it for a clean 4 BPH.

ie something like - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Carr+S...?entry=ttu

The whole of that route from end to end has pretty much has an absymal bus service and it's not as if it's going around fields.
(13 Jun 2023, 6:16 pm)Storx wrote Do many go past the retail park like? Seems really overbussed around there from an outsider yet other areas are virtually busless like Coundon (down to hourly) yet 5 buses go via nothing. Massive areas of Spennymoor to the North and the West of Bishop Auckland which are virtually busless aswell.

You'd think they'd be better having a 'slow' bus which services some of them then maybe an X6 which does the X21 route but they work with it for a clean 4 BPH.

ie something like - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Carr+S...?entry=ttu

The whole of that route from end to end has pretty much has an absymal bus service and it's not as if it's going around fields.
Yeah, there's still quite a decent load after the retail park.
Even going towards Durham there's usually a decent load by the time it's at Tindale.

Passenger numbers on the 6 do seem to have decreased though.

(13 Jun 2023, 6:05 pm)Jimmi wrote It's only dropping from a 15 min frequency to a 20 min frequency so I doubt would make a massive amount of difference.

Depending on loadings though, it can have a knock on impact.

Look at the X1 (and to some degree, 56) to Newcastle. On paper its a 12 minute frequency dropped to 15 minute, but they seem to regularly struggle to keep on time. Especially on a Saturday.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(14 Jun 2023, 4:31 pm)Adrian wrote Depending on loadings though, it can have a knock on impact.

Look at the X1 (and to some degree, 56) to Newcastle. On paper its a 12 minute frequency dropped to 15 minute, but they seem to regularly struggle to keep on time. Especially on a Saturday.

Same with the 20/60 at deptford, I mean there are 4 on last time I looked out of 6, two 20 mins late.

The 56 aswell it needs an extra PVR, on an evening and throughout the day they never leave on time from Park Lane or Newcastle, 5 mins either end isn't enough.
Reintroduction of service 39 in July to every 15 minutes..
39 every 30 minutes with 1 an hour to Washington Galleries.
39A every hour as it stands now to Houghton 
39B will run every hour as far as Doxford International via Tunstall Bank Estate .
So will the 39B follow the 39A route through Ryhope toward Doxford Park or will that remain served hourly. Also does this open the door for the reductions which were done earlier in the year, also does anyone know if the X20 is actually not coming back or will that be a change which comes later?
(14 Jun 2023, 8:19 pm)Retro Nero wrote Reintroduction of service 39 in July to every 15 minutes..
39 every 30 minutes with 1 an hour to Washington Galleries.
39A every hour as it stands now to Houghton 
39B will run every hour as far as Doxford International via Tunstall Bank Estate .

Oh that's good, Graphite solo's back on the routes?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(14 Jun 2023, 9:25 pm)Unber43 wrote So will the 39B follow the 39A route through Ryhope toward Doxford Park or will that remain served hourly. Also does this open the door for the reductions which were done earlier in the year, also does anyone know if the X20 is actually not coming back or will that be a change which comes later?

39B will follow the route it does now straight up passed Asda and via Tunstall Bank Estate but will terminate at Doxford International and will operate around North Moorside (Glanville Rd) into Doxford.
(14 Jun 2023, 9:54 pm)Retro Nero wrote 39B will follow the route it does now straight up passed Asda and via Tunstall Bank Estate but will terminate at Doxford International and will operate around North Moorside (Glanville Rd) into Doxford.

That’s gonna confuse people as it’s been the 39b to the galleries for a while now. 
I really don’t think there’s a need to bring the 39 back. Leave it as it is but bring back the graphites and ship the ex Saltwells out. Where’s this info nothing on website. 15 minute service
(14 Jun 2023, 10:28 pm)Acky81 wrote That’s gonna confuse people as it’s been the 39b to the galleries for a while now. 
I really don’t think there’s a need to bring the 39 back. Leave it as it is but bring back the graphites and ship the ex Saltwells out. Where’s this info nothing on website. 15 minute service

Pretty sure that user is either a driver or has connections. 

But I wonder where the Ex-Saltwells could go, possibly the 35/35A, as the Versas are not the greatest
(14 Jun 2023, 10:33 pm)Unber43 wrote Pretty sure that user is either a driver or has connections. 

But I wonder where the Ex-Saltwells could go, possibly the 35/35A, as the Versas are not the greatest

I would like to see them transferred to washington and put on the little pinks network as some of the 82/84/85's can get busy but i think that would be a bit optimistic.
Also if the 39/A/B rumors are true will it still be xx55 off the galleries.
Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
Could the 39 group not be simplified anyways? To me, I’d say have the 39A half hourly and 39B half hourly, 39B could be renumbered to just 39. Then once an hour 39A goes to Houghton and once an hour 39 goes to Washington. I don’t really get the need for the third service number/route in Ryhope?
(13 Jun 2023, 4:52 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Wonder if they'll divert it down to the new retail park in Tindale? Or maybe they're scrapping the West Auckland extension although?

Missing out Woodhouse,  both directions
Views and Opinions are my own
(15 Jun 2023, 12:11 pm)NL62WVW wrote Missing out Woodhouse,  both directions
So it'll follow the same route up as the X1 (soon to be 1)?

Should have just cut all of Woodhouse out to start with when they extended it to West Auckland rather than just the bit around Weardale Drive etc.

(15 Jun 2023, 11:05 am)Drifter60 wrote Could the 39 group not be simplified anyways? To me, I’d say have the 39A half hourly and 39B half hourly, 39B could be renumbered to just 39. Then once an hour 39A goes to Houghton and once an hour 39 goes to Washington. I don’t really get the need for the third service number/route in Ryhope?

Because that would be too easy
Kind Regards
Tez
(15 Jun 2023, 3:23 pm)Retro Nero wrote 39B serves Tunstall Bank Estate so the B is recognised by the residents of that estate

What about Biddick Woods Estate?

They've got the 39B.
They're gonna get the 39.

Theyve had the 37 (possibly the 73 at one point) and a stack load of other numbers in the 20 odd years it's been there.

Don't they count? No wonder nobody uses the bus there. They've got no idea what time it comes or where it goes due to the never ending changes or operators!

(15 Jun 2023, 1:04 pm)V514DFT wrote Because that would be too easy

We need to remember that bus operators know best. 
They look down on us mere mortals with distain. We know nowt. 

Meanwhile, they're continually being bailed out, making an unstable network even more unstable and axing routes because they can't make things work
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(13 Jun 2023, 6:05 pm)Jimmi wrote It's only dropping from a 15 min frequency to a 20 min frequency so I doubt would make a massive amount of difference.

Given that it was a 12 minute frequency at one time, admittedly pre-covid, Arriva have gone from 5 to 4 to 3 bph on the corridor - of course reflecting changes in travel patterns, but still GNE must have a strong position. Similar situation with the 49/49A which has gone from 10 to 15 to 20 minutes. Can't see either of those extensions being binned off anytime soon.
(13 Jun 2023, 6:04 pm)streetdeckfan wrote There does seem to be a fair number of people on the buses whenever I've used them like. Having the retail parks, Sainsbury's, Tesco Etc at Tindale probably helps justify the level of service.

I'm surprised there isn't just a short bishop to west Auckland loop, most people from west Auckland seem to get off in bishop anyway