You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(07 Feb 2014, 9:48 am)tyresmoke wrote It is indeed, and the 5/X5 at Loftus.
GNE do exactly the same thing by splitting the X7 at Peterlee.

Newcastle - Brampton is over 50km so Stagecoach split their 685 workings twice, at Hexham and Brampton.
5359 connections 4 been in a crash at heworth roundabout with HGV front window smashed not great for a new bus
(07 Feb 2014, 11:07 am)Acky81 wrote 5359 connections 4 been in a crash at heworth roundabout with HGV front window smashed not great for a new bus

I'm sure it wasn't deliberate (-:
Thought I update you on what vehicles I need to travel on (Not photograph as some people may think) with Go North East. Note that only 2 vehicles that I need were present in the fleet before 2013. The rest of the needed vehicles were delivered post 2013. Before the Connection 4 Citaros came, I was 10 vehicles off from completing the GNE bus fleet for the second time. For a period of around 1 month in 2003, I managed this feat then the 53-Plate MPDs came.

Transbus Dart / Transbus MPD: 570.
Optare Solo SR: 646, 649, 651.
Volvo B7TL / ELC Myllenium Vyking: 3970.
Mercedes Benz 0.530 Citaro: 5358, 5362, 5365.
Wright Streetlite DF Max: 5369, 5370, 5371, 5373, 5374, 5375.
Optare Versa (Long): 5378, 5380, 5381, 5384, 5386, 5388, 5389, 5390.
Volvo B9TL / Wright Eclipse Gemini 2: 6084, 6085, 6086, 6087, 6088, 6089, 6090, 6091, 6092, 6094, 6095, 6096, 6100, 6102, 6103, 6104, 6105, 6106, 6107, 6108, 6109, 6110, 6111, 6112, 6113, 6114, 6115, 6116, 6117.
Wright Streetlite DF: 8339, 8340, 8342, 8345.

In total there is 55 buses I need to travel on with Go North East. Only 5 depots have a 100% completion (Chester Le Street, Crook, Peterlee, Saltmeadows & Stanley).
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(07 Feb 2014, 11:29 pm)speedwheels22 wrote Which depot run the 91 I've seen all kind of buses on there from diffrent depots

I know Percy Main do some, as I've seen a ''Coaster'' omnicity on there before.
Forgot to post night that I may have got my last ever SPD. Ended up on 8232 on the 28. Quite sad reflecting on it Sad

Anyway, met my friends at Gateshead and we all got on 6015 which was on the X66. It decided it couldn't be bothered to start so we all had to wait for the next one and transfer onto 5339.
(07 Feb 2014, 11:29 pm)speedwheels22 wrote Which depot run the 91 I've seen all kind of buses on there from diffrent depots

Percy Main run all the morning ones bar one trip operated by Chester.
Evening runs are shared between Washington and Riverside.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Cant see 8231(?) being on the road too much longer.
It looks like it is being used for spares already.

Passed it just now as it worked a 71 and it seems the chrome headlight trim has been pilfered.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(08 Feb 2014, 1:01 pm)andreos1 wrote Cant see 8231(?) being on the road too much longer.
It looks like it is being used for spares already.

Passed it just now as it worked a 71 and it seems the chrome headlight trim has been pilfered.

Had them removed since withdrawn from Deptford - I pointed it out on a photo caption when it was at Stanley.
Site Administrator
(08 Feb 2014, 1:07 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote People were saying that Deckers couldn't be purchased for service X66. How do some of the 'TEN' services manage when they go along the centrelink (if they do)? Unless a single decker is used instead.

The way the TEN goes is not where the low bridge is.

The TEN goes over the Swing Bridge whereas the X66 goes up towards Gateshead.
(08 Feb 2014, 1:07 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote People were saying that Deckers couldn't be purchased for service X66. How do some of the 'TEN' services manage when they go along the centrelink (if they do)? Unless a single decker is used instead.

As Dan has just said, it is the section from Pipewellgate upto the High Level Bridge where the height issue is.
Technically, deckers could work the x66 and use the full length of Pipewellgate into and out of the Metrocentre, heading into Gateshead the way the Q1 does underneath the Tyne Bridge - although saying that, I am not too sure of the height limit by Mecca Bingo
(08 Feb 2014, 1:15 pm)andreos1 wrote As Dan has just said, it is the section from Pipewellgate upto the High Level Bridge where the height issue is.
Technically, deckers could work the x66 and use the full length of Pipewellgate into and out of the Metrocentre, heading into Gateshead the way the Q1 does underneath the Tyne Bridge - although saying that, I am not too sure of the height limit by Mecca Bingo

Deckers would be fine for height, but the lights would most likely mean it'd take more than the current "under 10 minutes" to do the journey coming back.
(08 Feb 2014, 2:56 pm)BJ10VUS wrote Deckers would be fine for height, but the lights would most likely mean it'd take more than the current "under 10 minutes" to do the journey coming back.

Had a feeling it would be, pretty sure I had seen deckers on school trips to the Sage, go under the bridge there.

Given the choice, wonder if it is quicker that way, than going via Askew Road and getting stuck there?
(08 Feb 2014, 3:11 pm)andreos1 wrote Had a feeling it would be, pretty sure I had seen deckers on school trips to the Sage, go under the bridge there.

Given the choice, wonder if it is quicker that way, than going via Askew Road and getting stuck there?

I'd say Askew is probably quicker. There's only one set of lights to negotiate. From the Sage area back up to Gateshead there's a maze of traffic lights, at peak time it would be a nightmare to say the least
(08 Feb 2014, 3:30 pm)gtom wrote I'd say Askew is probably quicker. There's only one set of lights to negotiate. From the Sage area back up to Gateshead there's a maze of traffic lights, at peak time it would be a nightmare to say the least

I was thinking along those lines, but then thought about the problems at Teams, Redheugh and then getting stuck on Askew Road (there's been many a time stuck on an x66 Prestige going via Bensham from Teams) compared to scooting along the river and getting stuck at Oakwellgate.

Maybe another Top Gear challenge for busman101 to try out!
(08 Feb 2014, 3:54 pm)andreos1 wrote I was thinking along those lines, but then thought about the problems at Teams, Redheugh and then getting stuck on Askew Road (there's been many a time stuck on an x66 Prestige going via Bensham from Teams) compared to scooting along the river and getting stuck at Oakwellgate.

Maybe another Top Gear challenge for busman101 to try out!

Maybe an easy option would be to buy single deckers and keep the route as it is?
(08 Feb 2014, 3:56 pm)citaro5284 wrote Maybe an easy option would be to buy single deckers and keep the route as it is?

Maybe it would be, but that wouldn't have answered NorthTyneLinks question or the small discussion which followed...
(08 Feb 2014, 3:56 pm)citaro5284 wrote Maybe an easy option would be to buy single deckers and keep the route as it is?

Which vehicles would you suggest? I tend to park in Newcastle and get the train to Metro around Christmas etc
Has 8334 been involved in an accident, or is it being de-branded? I've noticed that most of the side branding has been removed, but also 'The Orbit' logo has also been removed from the front of the bus.
Site Administrator
(08 Feb 2014, 4:53 pm)BJ10VUS wrote Has 8334 been involved in an accident, or is it being de-branded? I've noticed that most of the side branding has been removed, but also 'The Orbit' logo has also been removed from the front of the bus.

I think it was involved in an accident recently.