You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Leamside Line
(05 Feb 2022, 10:06 am)Andreos1 wrote I'm not sure how feasible it would be to put on the old site. 

My own thoughts were that it would be somewhere down by the Sage itself. Maybe opposite the bingo where theres a car park currently.
That would be closer to the College as well, East Street and its little tributaries is closest on the west side, up to Union Electric Steel, east side is the back of, and car park adjacent to, the college.
(05 Feb 2022, 10:06 am)Andreos1 wrote I'm not sure how feasible it would be to put on the old site. 

My own thoughts were that it would be somewhere down by the Sage itself. Maybe opposite the bingo where theres a car park currently.

If it was down there it would have to be all the way down by Coulthards Lane. New stations on curves are banned now hence some of the rather bizarre positioning of stations on the B&T line.

I'm not sure whether it would be plausable but it's shame they could jam a station on the viaduct here. It would be ideal for the Sage and the Sage even if it was only single platform. Don't see it being a big issue on a 30 min max service.
(05 Feb 2022, 7:43 pm)Storx wrote If it was down there it would have to be all the way down by Coulthards Lane. New stations on curves are banned now hence some of the rather bizarre positioning of stations on the B&T line.

I'm not sure whether it would be plausable but it's shame they could jam a station on the viaduct here. It would be ideal for the Sage and the Sage even if it was only single platform. Don't see it being a big issue on a 30 min max service.
St. Peter's is an ideal option for a station on the short straight by Oakwellgate, otherwise the next straight is over Coulthards Lane
(05 Feb 2022, 7:43 pm)Storx wrote If it was down there it would have to be all the way down by Coulthards Lane. New stations on curves are banned now hence some of the rather bizarre positioning of stations on the B&T line.

Yeah, that's a point I never thought of. 

Looking at the track layout as well, I'm guessing there's going to be some realignment work needed.
Only the northern most tracks are set up to head to/from the High Level.
The pair of tracks to the south of the alignment, continue alongside the old yard.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-te...=editorial&at_link_type=web_link&at_campaign_type=owned&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_link_origin=BBC_Radio_Newcastle&at_medium=social&at_format=image&at_link_id=951D146C-C649-11ED-AABD-A971AD7C7D13&at_ptr_name=facebook_page

Dicky when pressed on opening the Derwent Line up to Consett went a bright red colour and his tact changed completely...
(19 Mar 2023, 5:46 pm)Andreos1 wrote https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-te...=editorial&at_link_type=web_link&at_campaign_type=owned&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_link_origin=BBC_Radio_Newcastle&at_medium=social&at_format=image&at_link_id=951D146C-C649-11ED-AABD-A971AD7C7D13&at_ptr_name=facebook_page

Dicky when pressed on opening the Derwent Line up to Consett went a bright red colour and his tact changed completely...

It was never going to happen, at least up the Derwent Valley anyway. He obviously doesn't visit the area outside of the odd surgery visit and photo opportunity. If he did, he'd know that there's nowt between Swalwell and The Gill, then nothing again between The Gill and Shotley Bridge. He'd also be aware that Metrocentre is looking more and more like Gateshead High Street these days, with the amount of boarded up shops dotted around the place. 

Going the other way through Annfield Plain and Stanley may have its challenges, infrastructurally speaking, but at least it serves two large towns and several villages on route.
RE: High Speed Two
(04 Oct 2023, 12:08 pm)Adrian wrote HS2 canned then. Worst kept secret ever: https://news.sky.com/story/hs2-rishi-sun...d-12976382

HS2 will be limited to Euston-Birmingham. Apparently this frees up £36bn for "hundreds of new transport projects in the North and the Midlands, and across the country". It remains to be seen whether this is new money, or the usual trick of recycling old money.

Oh, and it didn't take long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJHz3pU7mI

Look what we've 'won' though...things that should happen anyway! (Leamside line aside) .... https://www.gov.uk/government/news/find-...our-region
Not sure of the wisdom of calling a station "Durham Parkway" when you cannot catch a train from there into Durham! Imagine the confusion for visitors, parking at the Parkway station, asking for a ticket to Durham and then finding out they'll be travelling all the way up to Newcastle to change and come back done again.
High Speed Two
(05 Oct 2023, 6:34 am)Ianthegoon wrote Not sure of the wisdom of calling a station "Durham Parkway" when you cannot catch a train from there into Durham! Imagine the confusion for visitors, parking at the Parkway station, asking for a ticket to Durham and then finding out they'll be travelling all the way up to Newcastle to change and come back done again.

Maybe there used to be a gilesgate/belmont old Durham train station terminus there originally well before Durham city boundry shrunk, and if what history goes by it’s where the A690 dual carriageway got built.

It’s more similar to Seaburn Station , where the younger generation thinks it’s nowhere near Seaburn seafront because it’s too far for them to walk but never bothered with the older generation in the olden days , younger generation wants to be spoon fed from the corrupt government

The leamside original plan for reopening by the existing government was only going to reopen the southern end of leamside to have a bypass for Durham station with the line connected north of Durham station, and that ended up scrapped as usual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(05 Oct 2023, 6:34 am)Ianthegoon wrote Not sure of the wisdom of calling a station "Durham Parkway" when you cannot catch a train from there into Durham!  Imagine the confusion for visitors, parking at the Parkway station, asking for a ticket to Durham and then finding out they'll be travelling all the way up to Newcastle to change and come back done again.

Parkway stations are stations that serve a P&R (Belmont Park and Ride) or other form of car park rather than serving a town. I'd assume the idea would be you'd use the P&R and bus towards Durham but alternatively you could use the train to Newcastle, Sunderland or anywhere really that the station serves.

There's quite a few parkway stations around.
(05 Oct 2023, 8:10 am)cbma06 wrote It’s more similar to Seaburn Station , where the younger generation thinks it’s nowhere near Seaburn seafront because it’s too far for them to walk but never bothered with the older generation in the olden days , younger generation wants to be spoon fed from the corrupt government

Probably a different thing that mind, Seaburn Station just isn't in Seaburn, it's literally in the middle of Fulwell. It's just completely wrong and always has been.

There's quite a few stations that are similar and some of the places became named after them

Jesmond / West Jesmond (West is more central than Jesmond, which is borderline Shieldfield), South Gosforth (It's really East), Alnmouth (Hipsburn) to pick out a few up here.
(05 Oct 2023, 8:52 am)Unber43 wrote is Leamside track stil down, or will it need all rebuilding

All needs rebuilding, but the right of way is still all there so there's nothing in the way. The track used to be there into the early 2000s, my Dad lives next to it in Biddick Woods and we used to walk along it when I was a kid, but it's definitely gone now.
(05 Oct 2023, 9:24 am)deanmachine wrote All needs rebuilding, but the right of way is still all there so there's nothing in the way. The track used to be there into the early 2000s, my Dad lives next to it in Biddick Woods and we used to walk along it when I was a kid, but it's definitely gone now.

It was early 2010s that all the track was removed. This was following some theft of it a couple years earlier in the Penshaw area.

The Viaduct is also fenced off and would likely need some structural work. Though I understand Network Rail still monitor and 'maintain' it.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(05 Oct 2023, 8:52 am)Unber43 wrote is Leamside track stil down, or will it need all rebuilding

The Leamside Line is only the line from Newcastle to Ferryhill aswell, the section between Penshaw and South Hylton is much more expensive. It's been removed since the 60's and the A19 and houses are in the track line. There's never, as far as I'm aware, been a line from Washington towards South Hylton (the North / East curve). It won't ever be built that part as imo it's not really needed / useful.
(05 Oct 2023, 9:55 am)Storx wrote The Leamside Line is only the line from Newcastle to Ferryhill aswell, the section between Penshaw and South Hylton is much more expensive. It's been removed since the 60's and the A19 and houses are in the track line. There's never, as far as I'm aware, been a line from Washington towards South Hylton (the North / East curve). It won't ever be built that part as imo it's not really needed / useful.

The A19 and houses aren't in the track line. It's still there as a walking (and I think part, vehicular) route, and I understand that Network Rail still own the track bed between South Hylton and the junction on to the Leamside line.

There is an underpass under the A19. It's been 20 years since I've walked through it, but they'd need to do something with that to allow clearance for trains, which I don't think would be a massive project.

The curve itself from South Hylton to Washington, I agree, I don't think there's ever been one. There's nothing really in the way of it though, and I imagine the TNE plans included purchase of that land, if not already owned.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(05 Oct 2023, 10:29 am)Adrian wrote The A19 and houses aren't in the track line. It's still there as a walking (and I think part, vehicular) route, and I understand that Network Rail still own the track bed between South Hylton and the junction on to the Leamside line.

There is an underpass under the A19. It's been 20 years since I've walked through it, but they'd need to do something with that to allow clearance for trains, which I don't think would be a massive project.

The curve itself from South Hylton to Washington, I agree, I don't think there's ever been one. There's nothing really in the way of it though, and I imagine the TNE plans included purchase of that land, if not already owned.

There's a farm house on the corner that might be a little in the way, but they could easily avoid it by using some of the fields to get a bigger curve to get to the Victoria Viaduct from South Hylton.
(05 Oct 2023, 2:56 pm)cbma06 wrote Looks like government have done a quick u turn a day later to scrap any funding for the leamside line and only proposing to open the southern end upto ferryhill only, that must be a record for the corrupt government

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/2...i9ngky1znj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done the same with HS2 apparently. 
Just yesterday, Sunak was committing to it running all the way to Euston. 
According to what I've just heard on the radio, it's not going to.
(05 Oct 2023, 10:29 am)Adrian wrote The A19 and houses aren't in the track line. It's still there as a walking (and I think part, vehicular) route, and I understand that Network Rail still own the track bed between South Hylton and the junction on to the Leamside line.

I can't confirm 100% but I do believe there's stuff on the track around the Cox Green area, namely here - https://www.google.com/maps/@54.8882333,...?entry=ttu

The A19 would need widened aswell I believe, as it's only wide enough for one track. Be quick an expensive job for not sure exactly what.

Anyone travelling from Washington it would be quicker to get a direct bus, since the train station is so out of the way and heading to Sunderland from elsewhere there's already a direct service anyway. Going in the opposite direction I'm not sure why anyone would really use it as the stations are in the middle of nowhere in terms of a destination.

I could get the argument for Sunderland South though.
(05 Oct 2023, 5:03 pm)Storx wrote I can't confirm 100% but I do believe there's stuff on the track around the Cox Green area, namely here - https://www.google.com/maps/@54.8882333,...?entry=ttu

The A19 would need widened aswell I believe, as it's only wide enough for one track. Be quick an expensive job for not sure exactly what.

Anyone travelling from Washington it would be quicker to get a direct bus, since the train station is so out of the way and heading to Sunderland from elsewhere there's already a direct service anyway. Going in the opposite direction I'm not sure why anyone would really use it as the stations are in the middle of nowhere in terms of a destination.

I could get the argument for Sunderland South though.

Linking Nissan and Amazon to the metro network, as well as eastern Washington would be worth it imo. Although if they were really serious about it they should find a way to get the metro going to the Galleries to me, then have the original part of the Leamside as a heavy rail link.
(05 Oct 2023, 5:26 pm)deanmachine wrote Linking Nissan and Amazon to the metro network, as well as eastern Washington would be worth it imo. Although if they were really serious about it they should find a way to get the metro going to the Galleries to me, then have the original part of the Leamside as a heavy rail link.

Aye wasn't clear, there I specifically about the Washington - South Hylton part. Agreed about the section to Washington though, not sure how feasable it would be but I'm surprised they've never looked at going West and heading towards Barley Mow and beyond. The track is all free that way aswell, would link Birtley, Chester Le Street, Stanley and Anfield Plain to the Metro aswell. I know it wouldn't be the most direct route but it would be very competitive with a bus and restore links like Gateshead.

Route I was talking about:

Would mean they could bang about getting 'the Metro towards Consett', it's half way there. The section beyond Chester Le Street might be harder to pull off, benefits wise, but I could imagine the section between Washington and CLS North being very popular. Public transport in those areas is generally dreadful.
(05 Oct 2023, 5:00 pm)Andreos1 wrote Done the same with HS2 apparently. 
Just yesterday, Sunak was committing to it running all the way to Euston. 
According to what I've just heard on the radio, it's not going to.

I believe the Euston bit is now subject to private funding