Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5724

Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5724
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014 | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East - Latest
(09 Feb 2014, 4:27 pm)CatsFast101 wrote What will be allocated to South Tyne? I can't see there been Versa cascades this year, next year it could be likely that maybe Quaylink, Orbit and SimpliCity could be in line for upgrade. So I wonder what they'll put on the 5? Possibly it will dropped from South Tyne bends even if temporarily? But I'm wondering what vehicles?

Newer Cadets?
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(09 Feb 2014, 4:31 pm)Dan wrote Newer Cadets?

Um makes sense, if the South Tyne ones are as horrid as people make out. Deptfords examples are actually quite good, I like them.
Site Administrator
On the flip side of the coin (just to add to speculation) - if a repaint and interior spruce up increases the sale value of a vehicle, it could be done.

As far as I know though, the Cadets on the South Tyne aren't being repainted yet.
Like to see some dennis enviro 200 darts on the 5 r maybe veras coz if the 88 is south tyne brand and using versas and the 5 is in the same brand don't see why the 5 can't get them,think they should cut the 5 of from whiteless and hedworth no one gets on not a lot of people this is the stupidest bus route I've been on
I'm starting to think GNE might be getting Demonstrator on Loan for a Few Months, if what Dan is Referring to has Nothing to do with Repaints, but future fleet acquisitions instead, Remember it was this time Last Year that the 11.7m Versa came on Trial. Could we the New Volvo B5LH or Citaro K on Trial, or the Scania Irizar i3 possibly. Surely I am not that far off.
(09 Feb 2014, 5:34 pm)speedwheels22 wrote Like to see some dennis enviro 200 darts on the 5 r maybe veras coz if the 88 is south tyne brand and using versas and the 5 is in the same brand don't see why the 5 can't get them,think they should cut the 5 of from whiteless and hedworth no one gets on not a lot of people this is the stupidest bus route I've been on

They already had a E200 on loan a while back and we have heard nothing since for orders for it.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(09 Feb 2014, 5:34 pm)speedwheels22 wrote Like to see some dennis enviro 200 darts on the 5 r maybe veras coz if the 88 is south tyne brand and using versas and the 5 is in the same brand don't see why the 5 can't get them,think they should cut the 5 of from whiteless and hedworth no one gets on not a lot of people this is the stupidest bus route I've been on

The 5 obviously isn't enough of a cash cow for an upgrade straight away. It'll get vehicles cascaded when the more profitable routes are upgraded. What if the people from Whiteleas or Hedworth suggested the route be cut from where you live? Would that be just as acceptable. Be careful what you wish for! Smile

As for stupidest bus route. I can't comment on the 5 as I've never ever used it, but you should try the Nexus 73 route. If you've got an hour or two on your hands that is.

(09 Feb 2014, 4:43 pm)Dan wrote On the flip side of the coin (just to add to speculation) - if a repaint and interior spruce up increases the sale value of a vehicle, it could be done.

As far as I know though, the Cadets on the South Tyne aren't being repainted yet.

Maybe they'll just take the vehicles one by one to Saltmeadows, and decide on the morning what colour to paint them. Big Grin
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(09 Feb 2014, 5:43 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote I'm starting to think GNE might be getting Demonstrator on Loan for a Few Months, if what Dan is Referring to has Nothing to do with Repaints, but future fleet acquisitions instead, Remember it was this time Last Year that the 11.7m Versa came on Trial. Could we the New Volvo B5LH or Citaro K on Trial, or the Scania Irizar i3 possibly. Surely I am not that far off.

Hopefully that's it

Wonder if GNE might get a host of buses on demo at once
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(09 Feb 2014, 5:43 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote I'm starting to think GNE might be getting Demonstrator on Loan for a Few Months, if what Dan is Referring to has Nothing to do with Repaints, but future fleet acquisitions instead, Remember it was this time Last Year that the 11.7m Versa came on Trial. Could we the New Volvo B5LH or Citaro K on Trial, or the Scania Irizar i3 possibly. Surely I am not that far off.

A third midi bus...? I can't see the point when the Versa and Streetlite have already went through lengthy demonstration, and as a result, have had batches purchased. Stick with what they know I'd say.
Site Administrator
(09 Feb 2014, 5:45 pm)aureolin wrote Maybe they'll just take the vehicles one by one to Saltmeadows, and decide on the morning what colour to paint them. Big Grin

It's Go-Ahead... They may even come out pink! Big Grin
(09 Feb 2014, 5:52 pm)speedwheels22 wrote I Remember when 57A ran I like the scanias me fav buses would of left that route on wish they bring it back then they withdrew it and they put a 5 on that goes all over the world

Ironically it was probably cancelled for the same reason that you say the 5 should be re-routed for.
(09 Feb 2014, 5:48 pm)aureolin wrote A third midi bus...? I can't see the point when the Versa and Streetlite have already went through lengthy demonstration, and as a result, have had batches purchased. Stick with what they know I'd say.

Yes but the Streetlite is Awful in my Opinion, as I said a few weeks back, it's simply a Better Looking more Stylish Wright Cadet and that's about it really, Look at the Drifter Examples, there's at least 2 Missing on there on a Daily Basis, and Versas 5389/90 seem to be on the Saltwell Park on a Daily Basis also, So obviously there not that good are they for Brand New Buses.
(09 Feb 2014, 5:56 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Yes but the Streetlite is Awful in my Opinion, as I said a few weeks back, it's simply a Better Looking more Stylish Wright Cadet and that's about it really, Look at the Drifter Examples, there's at least 2 Missing on there on a Daily Basis, and Versas 5389/90 seem to be on the Saltwell Park on a Daily Basis also, So obviously there not that good are they for Brand New Buses.

Teething problems you'd assume. I'd imagine Wright are really keen to resolve the issues though, given the amount of business they're getting from GNE. I believe there was a similar problem with the Simplicity/Orbit batch of Versas, yet GNE have chosen to stick with Optare for further orders.
(09 Feb 2014, 5:56 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Yes but the Streetlite is Awful in my Opinion, as I said a few weeks back, it's simply a Better Looking more Stylish Wright Cadet and that's about it really, Look at the Drifter Examples, there's at least 2 Missing on there on a Daily Basis, and Versas 5389/90 seem to be on the Saltwell Park on a Daily Basis also, So obviously there not that good are they for Brand New Buses.

First South Yorkshire don't have any major problems with theirs so why do GNE? They've had theirs longer too...

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

CatsFast101
Unregistered

Have got to agree with this, unfortunately. I said a few weeks back that 5389/5390 may aswell be branded for Saltwell Park as there does seem to be two missing from both Drifter & Saltwell Park most days. Solars on the 60 are very common and a cadet isn't that rare either, Renowns have been on twice this week too. I'd like to hope it is just teething issues as aureolin says but at the minute those streetlites don't seem to be coping well at all. Versas are much better I'd say.
(09 Feb 2014, 6:02 pm)tyresmoke wrote First South Yorkshire don't have any major problems with theirs so why do GNE? They've had theirs longer too...

Just have to look at the Rare/Odd Working Thread to then Notice there's a Few Streetlites missing daily, As aureolin said it might just a few teething problems and i'm sure Citaro5284 mentioned something about Last Week on this Thread, but having been on them few times myself, I'm just not a Fan of them hence why I suggested the Citaro K in that small list of possible Demonstrators.
Site Administrator
(09 Feb 2014, 6:16 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Just have to look at the Rare/Odd Working Thread to then Notice there's a Few Streetlites missing daily, As aureolin said it might just a few teething problems and i'm sure Citaro5284 mentioned something about Last Week on this Thread, but having been on them few times myself, I'm just not a Fan of them hence why I suggested the Citaro K in that small list of possible Demonstrators.

The problem with the Citaro K is that, for what it actually is, it's just so bloody expensive.
Your average Streetlite or Versa is incredibly cheap compared to what the Citaro K is (or so I've been told, anyway).

I cannot deny that the Citaro K may be in-line to be demonstrated this year just to see what the Euro 6 technology is like from Mercedes, but I don't see any being ordered.
(09 Feb 2014, 6:18 pm)Dan wrote The problem with the Citaro K is that, for what it actually is, it's just so bloody expensive.
Your average Streetlite or Versa is incredibly cheap compared to what the Citaro K is (or so I've been told, anyway).

I cannot deny that the Citaro K may be in-line to be demonstrated this year just to see what the Euro 6 technology is like from Mercedes, but I don't see any being ordered.

According to this Article it is set to Cost 12k-15k more than the Standard Euro 5 Citaro, with a Euro 6 Standard Length Version (Length of GNE's Current Examples) to follow at a Later Date - There is also some Interesting Information on Fuel Economy also compared to it's Predecessors. So really it could Potentially be a Money Saver in the Long Run GNE, Despite being more Expensive

http://www.busandcoach.com/featurepage.aspx?id=7284&categoryid=0
Site Administrator
(09 Feb 2014, 6:59 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote According to this Article it is set to Cost 12k-15k more than the Standard Euro 5 Citaro, with a Euro 6 Standard Length Version (Length of GNE's Current Examples) to follow at a Later Date - There is also some Interesting Information on Fuel Economy also compared to it's Predecessors. So really it could Potentially be a Money Saver in the Long Run GNE, Despite being more Expensive

http://www.busandcoach.com/featurepage.aspx?id=7284&categoryid=0

I appreciate Euro 6 is bound to cost more, but just under 200k for a midi-bus? That's absolutely crazy compared to the 120k-140k GNE pay for the likes of a Versa or Streetlite.

This is being paid for over 12 years too, not 15 as is the case with the Euro 5 full length Citaro.
But it's a Merc!

Always pay a premium for a merc, so they've gone for a boring Ford Focus (or the Streetlie)
(09 Feb 2014, 7:05 pm)gtom wrote But it's a Merc!

Always pay a premium for a merc, so they've gone for a boring Ford Focus (or the Streetlie)

Practical and does the job it was designed for, without paying over the top for extras you don't necessarily need.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Site Administrator
(09 Feb 2014, 7:08 pm)BJ10VUS wrote So, is it just the Citaro K available from now on?

The full length Citaro (Euro 6) will be available shortly too.
(09 Feb 2014, 7:03 pm)Dan wrote I appreciate Euro 6 is bound to cost more, but just under 200k for a midi-bus? That's absolutely crazy compared to the 120k-140k GNE pay for the likes of a Versa or Streetlite.

This is being paid for over 12 years too, not 15 as is the case with the Euro 5 full length Citaro.

With the Citaro K mentioned in the Article, this had all the Specifications, So I would think depending what Specifications GNE wanted then it still might be cheaper, So if it just had Standard Specification, You might be looking 135k - 150k rather than 200k for all the Specifications. Obviously the 12 Years must be it's expected "Shell Life" as you often say Dan hence why it's less than the Standard Version one would assume.
(09 Feb 2014, 7:10 pm)Dan wrote The full length Citaro (Euro 6) will be available shortly too.

Thanks for the info! Smile
Site Administrator
(09 Feb 2014, 7:12 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote With the Citaro K mentioned in the Article, this had all the Specifications, So I would think depending what Specifications GNE wanted then it still might be cheaper, So if it just had Standard Specification, You might be looking 135k - 150k rather than 200k for all the Specifications. Obviously the 12 Years must be it's expected "Shell Life" as you often say Dan hence why it's less than the Standard Version one would assume.

Go North East pay approximately £180k (including VAT) for a bog standard Citaro. I think that's minus the cost of fitting Wi-Fi etc.
I'm shocked that it's more expensive to buy a shorter version of the Citaro, albeit Euro 6.

For Go North East:
Mini vehicles (such as MPDs and Solos etc) have a predicted life span of 12 years, and this is the length of time Go North East use when thinking about paying for the vehicle.
Midi vehicles (such as SPDs, Cadets, Versas, the "Saltwell Park" Streetlites etc) also have a predicted life span of 12 years.
Full sized single deckers and double deckers (basically anything that's left) have a predicted life span of 15 years.

The Citaro K would fall under the "midi vehicle" category. GNE could pay for the normal Citaro over three more years than the K, and if the K is more expensive than the normal Citaro... Well, I rest my case.

Looking at fuel economy etc, I'd assume the Merc K would only match the standards of the Optare Versa. The Versa is so light-weight that the fuel economy is brilliant.
The 57A went exactly the same way as 5 from Fellgate to South Shields, but got replaced with the 5 due to reliability of the very long 57A route from Gateshead.

(09 Feb 2014, 5:54 pm)aureolin wrote Ironically it was probably cancelled for the same reason that you say the 5 should be re-routed for.

Well put it this way, the only thing Cummins engines are good for is a typical TFL route in London. With the exception of the B7R and B7TL, Volvo's have always been good little workhorses whether a 355 run to Whitley Bay on a Wright B10BLE, a 306 run down the Coast Road to Tynemouth on a Palatine 2 with the D10-245 engine or the same bus on an 80 mile round trip to Middlesborough down the A19 on the X10. When I had a ride on 6103 on the new CC double deck launch day, I had a little chat with the driver and do you know what he said? "You can't beat a Volvo". I can honestly say that I have to agree with him. Everyday, I either end up on a VDL SB200 or Volvo B10BLE to Newcastle from work and whereas I hear a tiny little turbocharher screaming away on the SB200, all I can hear on a Volvo B10BLE is a pure diesel engine powering the bus through.