You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Proposed changes to Services 35 & X21 within Newbiggin & Woodhorn

RE: Proposed changes to Services 35 & X21 within Newbiggin & Woodhorn
(23 Nov 2023, 9:43 pm)Storx wrote Remember though most of those boards will change as the 35 swapover will push everything back by 2 hours so it'll be the first 35 for Pegswood only now and it should be heading between Morpeth and Newbiggin now at the PM peak and after match days.

It's kind of what I meant, some of the early X22 boards heading towards Newcastle if I'm right should be similar aswell.

So, in the case of that one, it would do the first 35 from North Seaton onwards after 9am which is prime time for concessionary travel. It'd still be leaving Newcastle at 07:25(ish), so would still be picking up workers for Cramlington. 

If my workings are correct, it would be back in Newbiggin around 10:30, Newcastle for 12:00ish. If they continue to interwork with the X22, then Ashington for 13:00, town for 14:00, Newbiggin for 15:30, Morpeth around 16:15, so it would be a peak run on the 35. If, however, they don't continue to interwork with the X22 then it would be Newbiggin for 13:30, Morpeth 14:15, Newbiggin 15:00, and then leaving Newcastle around 16:30 - so a peak run from town. 

As well, wherever they end up in the peak, the bus that is running that trip right now is a decker? So why would they suddenly not require them?
(24 Nov 2023, 12:02 am)mb134 wrote So, in the case of that one, it would do the first 35 from North Seaton onwards after 9am which is prime time for concessionary travel. It'd still be leaving Newcastle at 07:25(ish), so would still be picking up workers for Cramlington. 

If my workings are correct, it would be back in Newbiggin around 10:30, Newcastle for 12:00ish. If they continue to interwork with the X22, then Ashington for 13:00, town for 14:00, Newbiggin for 15:30, Morpeth around 16:15, so it would be a peak run on the 35. If, however, they don't continue to interwork with the X22 then it would be Newbiggin for 13:30, Morpeth 14:15, Newbiggin 15:00, and then leaving Newcastle around 16:30 - so a peak run from town. 

As well, wherever they end up in the peak, the bus that is running that trip right now is a decker? So why would they suddenly not require them?

ngl, always thought the pensioner passes were 9.30am up here, learnt something new today. Is there peak requirements on the 35? I always thought they were quieter and it was the school boards in both directions (Morpeth / North Seaton) which are the busy routes hence the need for the deckers there.

Part of the rob Paul to pay Peter that was mentioned a few days ago to get deckers from somewhere, I don't agree with it for obvious reasons, but there's not many places within Arriva North East they can realistically come from.
Service suggestion for 35/X21/X22
Timetable: 
.pdf 35_X21_X22.pdf

Newbiggin stopping arrangements for 35 & X21
* Official changeover point for 35 & X21 would be the Cresswell Arms.
* Service X21 would operate between Newcastle and the Cresswell Arms via Woodhorn Road & Seacrest Road.
* Service 35 would operate between Morpeth and the Cresswell Arms via Sandy Bay, Spital Road and Front Street.
* Arrangements would apply allowing passengers to travel through as outlined by Arriva.

Service 35
* Robust timetable for improved reliability.

* Frequency unchanged although improved service for Woodhorn with revised stopping arrangements in conjunction with service X21 in Newbiggin.

Service X21
* After Bedlington Red Lion (Front Street West), operates via Hartford Road instead of Ridge Terrace and Nedderton Village. This would help improve reliability without further increasing journey times.

* Robust timetable for improved reliability and common headways maintained with service X22 from Ashington and Newcastle; and also in Stakeford and Bedlington Town Centre (from nearby stops within short walking distance).

Service X22
* In Bedlington Town Centre, would instead call at Glebe Road (Near the Red Lion) rather than Schalksmuhle Road and Front Street West.

* After Bedlington Town Centre, would operate via Ridge Terrace and Nedderton Village instead of Hartford Road. This however would not impact journey times due to the time it currently takes to fulfil the current stopping arrangements in Bedlington Town Centre.

* Robust timetable for improved reliability and common headways maintained with service X21 from Ashington and Newcastle; and also in Stakeford and Bedlington Town Centre (from nearby stops within short walking distance).
(26 Nov 2023, 12:01 pm)L469 YVK wrote Service suggestion for 35/X21/X22
Timetable: 

Newbiggin stopping arrangements for 35 & X21
* Official changeover point for 35 & X21 would be the Cresswell Arms.
* Service X21 would operate between Newcastle and the Cresswell Arms via Woodhorn Road & Seacrest Road.
* Service 35 would operate between Morpeth and the Cresswell Arms via Sandy Bay, Spital Road and Front Street.
* Arrangements would apply allowing passengers to travel through as outlined by Arriva.

Service 35
* Robust timetable for improved reliability.

* Frequency unchanged although improved service for Woodhorn with revised stopping arrangements in conjunction with service X21 in Newbiggin.

Service X21
* After Bedlington Red Lion (Front Street West), operates via Hartford Road instead of Ridge Terrace and Nedderton Village. This would help improve reliability without further increasing journey times.

* Robust timetable for improved reliability and common headways maintained with service X22 from Ashington and Newcastle; and also in Stakeford and Bedlington Town Centre (from nearby stops within short walking distance).

Service X22
* In Bedlington Town Centre, would instead call at Glebe Road (Near the Red Lion) rather than Schalksmuhle Road and Front Street West.

* After Bedlington Town Centre, would operate via Ridge Terrace and Nedderton Village instead of Hartford Road. This however would not impact journey times due to the time it currently takes to fulfil the current stopping arrangements in Bedlington Town Centre.

* Robust timetable for improved reliability and common headways maintained with service X21 from Ashington and Newcastle; and also in Stakeford and Bedlington Town Centre (from nearby stops within short walking distance).

Which services would serve Schalksmuhle Road?   Those stops are well used.  

The whole point of both the X21 and X22 going up the Front Street in Bedlington in that it provides 4bph to the main stops in the town centre.   

You may think it’s a short walk between the stop near the garage on Front Street and Glebe Road, try telling that to someone with limited mobility!
(26 Nov 2023, 1:01 pm)Bazza wrote Which services would serve Schalksmuhle Road?   Those stops are well used.  

The whole point of both the X21 and X22 going up the Front Street in Bedlington in that it provides 4bph to the main stops in the town centre.   

You may think it’s a short walk between the stop near the garage on Front Street and Glebe Road, try telling that to someone with limited mobility!
Only other option would be to run the X21 via Schalksmuhle Road and Glebe Road instead of the Front Street. But that would also pose issues for people who normally board the X21 further down the Front Street having to walk to Beech Grove. 

Not forgetting that the 57 only serves Glebe Road and I'd imagine that service carries a fair few 'Twirlies'.

Looking at the timetable, if the X21 served Nedderton, that would only leave 8 minutes layover in Morpeth on a Monday to Friday plus on a Saturday, it would mean an extra bus in the PVR too and a longer layover. Also, it would completely throw out the opportunity on Sundays to increase running times and layover.

As for your point about 4bph.....I suppose on Saturdays and Sundays the common stopping point makes sense. But during Mondays to Fridays, the X22 carries most loads towards Newcastle due to the 14/6 split. So wouldn't really make a difference there.
(26 Nov 2023, 12:01 pm)L469 YVK wrote Service X21
So what about the people who have, for over 10 years now, used the X21 from Red House Farm/Nedderton to Bedlington Station/Ashington College/Wansbeck Hospital? 

The 2 (and previous variations) used to connect that end of Bedlington with Bedlington Station, which is important for school links, taking the X21 away for literally no reason totally kills that link.
(26 Nov 2023, 2:18 pm)mb134 wrote So what about the people who have, for over 10 years now, used the X21 from Red House Farm/Nedderton to Bedlington Station/Ashington College/Wansbeck Hospital? 

The 2 (and previous variations) used to connect that end of Bedlington with Bedlington Station, which is important for school links, taking the X21 away for literally no reason totally kills that link.
I get you with the links, but time can't continue to be added otherwise the total journey times will come in above 1hr 25m (1hr 27m and 1hr 26m retrospectively) from end to end.

If Red House Farm & Nedderton coped without the links 10 years back, surely that wouldn't be any different now. Think people have come to accept the route change but there was a lot of upheaval when first changed.

Don't forget, Sundays are a problem on the 35/X21/X22. Re-routing the X21/X22 around Bedlington would allow extra time to be added with a clean and easy interworking pattern and only a PVR increase of 1x.
(26 Nov 2023, 4:21 pm)L469 YVK wrote If Red House Farm & Nedderton coped without the links 10 years back, surely that wouldn't be any different now. Think people have come to accept the route change but there was a lot of upheaval when first changed.

They did have some of those links though, because the 2 (and predecessors) served there.

You're proposing removing a section of route that is evidently doing well (otherwise we'd have seen it removed by now, citing poor passenger numbers), for no actual gain to anyone bar a couple of minutes?
Shouldn't this all be in the 'service ideas' thread?

It's not gonna happen anyway, but it's not the purpose of this thread.
I still think a congestion-busting zeppelin service is the way to go. And, let's face it, it's about as likely any suggestions L469 YVK posts in this, or indeed any other thread.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
(26 Nov 2023, 4:55 pm)RobinHood wrote Shouldn't this all be in the 'service ideas' thread?

It's not gonna happen anyway, but it's not the purpose of this thread.

The suggestions is directly linked to the proposal Smile

(26 Nov 2023, 5:16 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I still think a congestion-busting zeppelin service is the way to go. And, let's face it, it's about as likely any suggestions L469 YVK posts in this, or indeed any other thread.

Well I don't want to 'big' the suggestion up, but there's reasons behind it. For starters, the X21 will still have the same running time as now, but with a section of route removed with time allocated elsewhere to improve reliability. Likewise, a way more reliable Sunday service with an easy and efficient interworking pattern involving the X22/X21/35.

But on the otherhand, some posters have mentioned the loss of links from Ridge Terrace and Nedderton which is also true especially now that the 2 route has changed for a good few years now.
(26 Nov 2023, 5:21 pm)L469 YVK wrote The suggestions is directly linked to the proposal Smile

Well I don't want to 'big' the suggestion up, but there's reasons behind it. For starters, the X21 will still have the same running time as now, but with a section of route removed with time allocated elsewhere to improve reliability. Likewise, a way more reliable Sunday service with an easy and efficient interworking pattern involving the X22/X21/35.

But on the otherhand, some posters have mentioned the loss of links from Ridge Terrace and Nedderton which is also true especially now that the 2 route has changed for a good few years now.
Perhaps. But a zeppelin wouldn't get stuck in traffic and can fly across things if it needed to divert, for whatever reason. It also uses hydrogen cells, so it isn't reliant on fossil fuels thus making it greener.

Yes. The zeppelin is definitely the way to go.

(26 Nov 2023, 6:09 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Perhaps. But a zeppelin wouldn't get stuck in traffic and can fly across things if it needed to divert, for whatever reason. It also uses hydrogen cells, so it isn't reliant on fossil fuels thus making it greener.

Yes. The zeppelin is definitely the way to go.

Well effectively, Ashington & Bedlington Station will be getting that! But reducing the impact on the X21 journey times could still win over punters who travel anywhere in Newcastle that's a good 15 minute walk from Central, nor want the hassle of changing onto the Metro at Northumberland Park.
(26 Nov 2023, 6:21 pm)L469 YVK wrote Well effectively, Ashington & Bedlington Station will be getting that! But reducing the impact on the X21 journey times could still win over punters who travel anywhere in Newcastle that's a good 15 minute walk from Central, nor want the hassle of changing onto the Metro at Northumberland Park.

Instead of trying to mess with the X21, why not try and grow some corridors instead.

You could easily do a new bus route like the above called maybe the X19 (ex X30) and redirect the X20 via Stakeford and provide a fast bus to Newcastle from those areas. The first and last X19's, could then be extended to Cresswell which would give Lynemouth and Ellington a bus every 30 minutes at the busiest times aswell.

Means you could have something like this from:

Mornings (at Ellington):
05:41* (X19)
06:11 (X20)
06:41* (X19)
07:11 (X20)

Evenings (from Newcastle):
16:46 (X20)
17:16 (X19)
17:46 (X20)
18:16 (X19)
18:46 (X20)

It would only be a PVR 2 so no massive risk, unlike moving other corridors and pissing people off. Lynemouth etc have a piss poor service to Newcastle at peak times, if you don't work when the X20 gets in. Finishing work at 17:30, 16 minutes is very right, and I wouldn't want to be waiting around for 76 minutes.

If this 'bus partnership' is that, then you could make the case for some bus stops on the A1147 at Bedlington Station aswell and give the East side which pretty much has no service currently a stop aswell.
Had a thought about the Red House Farm > Bedlington Station issue if the X21/X22 were to be switched back around.........

1.) After Boghouses, run the 43 straight up the Spine Road to Bedlington Station then after Bedlington, normal route to Morpeth. Don't know how much longer this would take though?

2.) X16 returns to Kirkhill and 2 goes back via Red House Farm using time saved not serving Kirkhill during the day.

Either way in my opinion, the X21/35 cycle won't be robust enough for timings unless the X21/X22 are switched back around betwen Bedlington & Newcastle as they were before 2012.
Was going to create a new thread but it's not worth it but is there a vehicle shortage?. Ignoring the snow issues there's been 2 missing boards this morning, one each on both the 57/57A and 35 and there doesn't seem to be anything to actually put on them, no doubt partially due to 4 sheds being off the road again.
(01 Dec 2023, 10:13 am)Storx wrote Was going to create a new thread but it's not worth it but is there a vehicle shortage?. Ignoring the snow issues there's been 2 missing boards this morning, one each on both the 57/57A and 35 and there doesn't seem to be anything to actually put on them, no doubt partially due to 4 sheds being off the road again.

57/57A are always struggling. I'm surprised the 1538/39 haven't returned yet if the rule is to have no more solos on the 57/57A. They have been allocated StreetLite to Pulsar a lot lately
(01 Dec 2023, 10:13 am)Storx wrote Was going to create a new thread but it's not worth it but is there a vehicle shortage?. Ignoring the snow issues there's been 2 missing boards this morning, one each on both the 57/57A and 35 and there doesn't seem to be anything to actually put on them, no doubt partially due to 4 sheds being off the road again.

There are multiple Ashington buses which aren't tracking on ticketer, they're not going to drop a 57/A due to a lack of vehicle given its a contracted service.
(01 Dec 2023, 10:31 am)mb134 wrote There are multiple Ashington buses which aren't tracking on ticketer, they're not going to drop a 57/A due to a lack of vehicle given its a contracted service.

Aye that's fair, been a few moaning on the local pages about it lately (pre today for obvious reasons). Wasn't sure either way.
(30 Nov 2023, 11:02 pm)L469 YVK wrote Had a thought about the Red House Farm > Bedlington Station issue if the X21/X22 were to be switched back around.........

1.) After Boghouses, run the 43 straight up the Spine Road to Bedlington Station then after Bedlington, normal route to Morpeth. Don't know how much longer this would take though?

2.) X16 returns to Kirkhill and 2 goes back via Red House Farm using time saved not serving Kirkhill during the day.

Either way in my opinion, the X21/35 cycle won't be robust enough for timings unless the X21/X22 are switched back around betwen Bedlington & Newcastle as they were before 2012.

If there was serious reductions because of the railway line then I don't really see the point in that. It's more likely the Ashington buses will be going through Cramlington, with the Cramlington to Blyth section reduced if anything.
(02 Dec 2023, 2:55 pm)Storx wrote If there was serious reductions because of the railway line then I don't really see the point in that. It's more likely the Ashington buses will be going through Cramlington, with the Cramlington to Blyth section reduced if anything.

I don't think we'd see serious reductions....maybe the X20 (Ash > NCL) goes at worst. But the X21/X22 would still make something. Not forgetting that some passengers won't want the trouble of changing onto the Metro or the walk from Central.
(02 Dec 2023, 6:06 pm)L469 YVK wrote I don't think we'd see serious reductions....maybe the X20 (Ash > NCL) goes at worst. But the X21/X22 would still make something. Not forgetting that some passengers won't want the trouble of changing onto the Metro or the walk from Central.

I'm not too sure I wouldn't be surprised if things went pear shaped it would end up something like

X7: No Changes
X8: Current route Newcastle to Parkside, X10 route to Blyth
X9: No Changes

X10: Withdrawn
X11: Withdrawn

X21: No Changes (Every 20 Minutes)
X22: Ashington - Bedlington (Current Route) - Horton Road - Boghouses - Parkside - Cramlington - Express - Newcastle (Every 20 Minutes)
X23: Current X11 (Every 20 Minutes)

43: Extended to Blyth instead of Morpeth via X8 route

57: Extended to Morpeth instead of Ashington every 30 minutes, 57A scrapped.

X21/X22: Every 10 Minutes Express Newcastle to Bedlington
X22/X23: Every 10 Minutes Express Newcastle to Cramlington

Apart from the slight extended running time on the X22 by 7 minutes or so, no-one is really losing out. Infact Cramlington and some areas of Blyth actually have an enhanced service. The only real losers are the 2 bus stops at the bottom of Bedlington but most of the estates are within walking distance of the central stops or the now new stops East End Front Street. There's actually some benefits aswell South Beach to Regent Centre, more of Blyth to Cobalt, more frequent service from Ashington / Bedlington to Cramlington etc, more frequent service from Cramlington to Newcastle etc.

This is would be a more worst case scenario though.
(02 Dec 2023, 7:05 pm)Storx wrote I'm not too sure I wouldn't be surprised if things went pear shaped it would end up something like

X7: No Changes
X8: Current route Newcastle to Parkside, X10 route to Blyth
X9: No Changes

X10: Withdrawn
X11: Withdrawn

X21: No Changes (Every 20 Minutes)
X22: Ashington - Bedlington (Current Route) - Horton Road - Boghouses - Parkside - Cramlington - Express - Newcastle (Every 20 Minutes)
X23: Current X11 (Every 20 Minutes)

43: Extended to Blyth instead of Morpeth via X8 route

57: Extended to Morpeth instead of Ashington every 30 minutes, 57A scrapped.

X21/X22: Every 10 Minutes Express Newcastle to Bedlington
X22/X23: Every 10 Minutes Express Newcastle to Cramlington

Apart from the slight extended running time on the X22 by 7 minutes or so, no-one is really losing out. Infact Cramlington and some areas of Blyth actually have an enhanced service. The only real losers are the 2 bus stops at the bottom of Bedlington but most of the estates are within walking distance of the central stops or the now new stops East End Front Street. There's actually some benefits aswell South Beach to Regent Centre, more of Blyth to Cobalt, more frequent service from Ashington / Bedlington to Cramlington etc, more frequent service from Cramlington to Newcastle etc.

This is would be a more worst case scenario though.
Hmmm, not a bad idea to be honest. The only changes I would perhaps suggest:

X7 - maybe increased to every 20 minutes?
X8 - withdrawn, replaced by 42/43
X23 - Does the X10 route from Blyth to Shankhouse then X11 route to Newcastle via Northburn - X11 has more areas close by where the train could take passengers.
42 - Cramlington - High Pit - Northumberland Business Park - Annitsford - Fern Drive - Dudley then as per current 43 to Newcastle.
43 - Blyth - (current X8 route) - Cramlington then as per current 43 to Newcastle.

Also, would the X22 serve Schalksmuhle Road and Vulcan Place or straight down Glebe Road then left onto the Front Street in Bedlington?

As for the 57, would that serve the current route via Nelson Industrial Estate into Bedlington then via Red House Farm?
Thread name "proposed changes to service X21/X22/35"

The Thread now "Arriva Blyth service suggesting part 2"
(03 Dec 2023, 11:38 am)L469 YVK wrote Hmmm, not a bad idea to be honest. The only changes I would perhaps suggest:

X7 - maybe increased to every 20 minutes?
X8 - withdrawn, replaced by 42/43
X23 - Does the X10 route from Blyth to Shankhouse then X11 route to Newcastle via Northburn - X11 has more areas close by where the train could take passengers.
42 - Cramlington - High Pit - Northumberland Business Park - Annitsford - Fern Drive - Dudley then as per current 43 to Newcastle.
43 - Blyth - (current X8 route) - Cramlington then as per current 43 to Newcastle.

Also, would the X22 serve Schalksmuhle Road and Vulcan Place or straight down Glebe Road then left onto the Front Street in Bedlington?

As for the 57, would that serve the current route via Nelson Industrial Estate into Bedlington then via Red House Farm?

I was thinking about the X7, but you'd lose the Arriva Cramlington to Burradon and Quorum links and they can be quite busy little flows now that the 52 has gone. Not sure it would be a wise move.

Yeah to the other 2 though.

3 addons to that above:

18 (Current 57A): Whitley Bay - Seaton Delaval - Seghill - Fern Drive - Dudley Road - Cramlington - Nelson Ind. Estate - Bedlington - Red House Farm - Stobhill - Morpeth - Northgate Hospital (Every 30 Minutes, PVR 5)
19: Current 57A from Ashington to Three Horse Shoes, 43 route into Cramlington, High Pitt - Northumberland Hospital - New Hartley - Seaton Delaval (omit. Elsdon Avenue Loop) - Seghill - current route to North Shields (Every Hour, PVR 3)
19A: Current 19 from Cramlington to North Shields (Every Hour, PVR 2)
43: Extended to East Hartford every 30 minutes (PVR 1)

57/57A/58: Replaced by 18, 19 and 43 extension.

It's the same PVR as what is being served now, but imo offers a much better service (19 - 3, 43 Extension - 2, 57/57A - 5, 58 - 1). The only loss is Annitsford to High Pitt, but it's covered by the X8 anyway.
(03 Dec 2023, 12:44 pm)Storx wrote I was thinking about the X7, but you'd lose the Arriva Cramlington to Burradon and Quorum links and they can be quite busy little flows now that the 52 has gone. Not sure it would be a wise move.

Yeah to the other 2 though.

3 addons to that above:

18 (Current 57A): Whitley Bay - Seaton Delaval - Seghill - Fern Drive - Dudley Road - Cramlington - Nelson Ind. Estate - Bedlington - Red House Farm - Stobhill - Morpeth - Northgate Hospital (Every 30 Minutes, PVR 5)
19: Current 57A from Ashington to Three Horse Shoes, 43 route into Cramlington, High Pitt - Northumberland Hospital - New Hartley - Seaton Delaval (omit. Elsdon Avenue Loop) - Seghill - current route to North Shields (Every Hour, PVR 3)
19A: Current 19 from Cramlington to North Shields (Every Hour, PVR 2)
43: Extended to East Hartford every 30 minutes (PVR 1)

57/57A/58: Replaced by 18, 19 and 43 extension.

It's the same PVR as what is being served now, but imo offers a much better service (19 - 3, 43 Extension - 2, 57/57A - 5, 58 - 1). The only loss is Annitsford to High Pitt, but it's covered by the X8 anyway.
True although Stagecoach do have the 37 covering most of the link.

The only other thing about the 18's and 19's.......the 352/354/355 will only last so long now that most other routes cover them or alternatives can be easily adapted to cover them (i.e the X63 becoming an old 356 after the Killingworth loop). 

The 353 is a fairly strong route, but would be uneconomical 'standalone' in it's current form. So one option could be for Arriva to take that back and extend it to Morpeth in place of the 18.

Then in-turn, GNE take on the 18/19 series of routes you mention as the 18 would feed quite well into the Whitley Bay tendered services (351/359) GNE currently have.
(03 Dec 2023, 4:12 pm)L469 YVK wrote True although Stagecoach do have the 37 covering most of the link.

The only other thing about the 18's and 19's.......the 352/354/355 will only last so long now that most other routes cover them or alternatives can be easily adapted to cover them (i.e the X63 becoming an old 356 after the Killingworth loop). 

The 353 is a fairly strong route, but would be uneconomical 'standalone' in it's current form. So one option could be for Arriva to take that back and extend it to Morpeth in place of the 18.

Then in-turn, GNE take on the 18/19 series of routes you mention as the 18 would feed quite well into the Whitley Bay tendered services (351/359) GNE currently have.

See my idea from that would be the 18 would be pretty much fully commercial. The 57/57A is fully commercial down here and the 43 extension is commercial at least hourly aswell. 

The Bedlington section is pretty much just swapping the 43, X22 and 57 around. With the X22 doing part of the 57 and 43 and the 57 or now 18 taking over the other half of the 43. 

Tender wise it's just moving stuff around ie.

58 - 19 short extension. 
43 - 18 2 BPH Morpeth to Cramlington 
57A extension - 19 long extension. 

I have a feeling the 19 might be a bit more attractive to have a bigger PVR which serves more areas and where its based could be attractive to pretty much anyone especially GNE and Arriva. 

No point the tax payer paying for bus services that don't need to be. You have to remember the 351/359 aren't commercial either so could be ran by GCT in a few months for all we know.
Also, don't know if there'd be any suitable single decks that aren't too thirsty but not too lightweight, but would going from double decks to single decks on the 35/X21/X22 not be an option?

Could do something like this with Ashington's E400MMCs:

Option 1:
19x E400MMC (72 plate) X14/X15/X18/X20
12x E400MMC (17 plate) Arriva DC - 7

Option 2:
12x E400MMC (72 plate) X14/X15/X18
1x E400MMC (72 plate) Ashinngton / Redcar float
6x E400MMC (72 plate) X93/X94
12x E400MMC (17 plate) Arriva DC - 7

Then maybe 7534-40 come North (given they've had a relatively charmed life in comparison to their Northumbria counterparts) and they cover the X20 + any decker capacity / spares needed at Ashington.
(04 Dec 2023, 7:54 am)Unber43 wrote no its not an option

It wouldn't be the worst idea. 2024/25 (when the line opens), coincides with the mid-life span of 7541-52. If passengers numbers were still sufficient to sustain healthy loads but using more fuel efficient single deckers (and a small number of decker boards thrown in for school / college times for the X21/35), that would be a better option rather than slashing frequencies or cutting routes.

Plus 7541-52 being cascaded would help get rid of the oldest and most unreliable deckers and also the X93 issue being sorted with some of the 72 plates being released and older but more charmed classic E400's doing the X20.

Something like this as a starting point..........
- 21x 11.8m E200MMC / Cummins 6.7 - 35/X21/X22
- 7541-52 - Darlington / Belmont - 7
- 7563-74 - Ashington - X14/X15/X18
- 7575 - Ashington and Redcar/Whitby float
- 7576-81 - Redcar/Whitby - X93/X94
- 7537-40 - Ashington - X20

Plenty of scope for cascades / refreshes too after the above

Put it this way....if GNE had've stayed single deck for the X30/X31 and 45/46/47, they wouldn't have had their frequencies slashed for 'commercial' reasons post covid.