You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
(27 Nov 2023, 7:54 pm)mb134 wrote So £14.27 from January, then if we say it's bang on 4% on the 1st July 2024 that takes them to £14.84 - 17p less per hour than the Stagecoach offer that's been posted.

And Stagecoach drivers didn't even need to strike for that deal...

and unless things have changed with the split deal this year, should have another deal in January 2025, before the July 2025 GNE deal.
(27 Nov 2023, 7:54 pm)mb134 wrote So £14.27 from January, then if we say it's bang on 4% on the 1st July 2024 that takes them to £14.84 - 17p less per hour than the Stagecoach offer that's been posted.

And Stagecoach drivers didn't even need to strike for that deal...
But if RPI is 5.3% they will be on over £15 per hour.
Don’t Stagecoach drivers get up to an hour unpaid break deducted whereas GNE drivers only get 30 minutes deducted.
(27 Nov 2023, 8:47 pm)busmanT wrote But if RPI is 5.3% they will be on over £15 per hour.
Don’t Stagecoach drivers get up to an hour unpaid break deducted whereas GNE drivers only get 30 minutes deducted.

So the GNE drivers are more productive? I can't keep up.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(26 Nov 2023, 11:44 am)busmanT wrote Don't forget that Stagecoach drivers do a lot more driving in an 8-hour shift than GNE drivers do - if GNE drivers were as productive as Stagecoach drivers I'm sure that they would be paid more!

It's like comparing the staff on the tills in Morrisons/ASDA/Tesco with those in Aldi -- the Aldi staff work a lot harder (stacking shelves between the constant announcements about tills closing/opening) so get paid more.

Still waiting for your explanation of this comment
So £14.27, after 4% will be 14.84 but if this SC deal go through I think we would see more than 4% which is 57 pence, but maybe 5-7% which could be between 14.98-15.26

Personally I think they would get a 5.5% pay rise to get just above SC newcastle
When are we likely to know the outcome of the ballot? And if the offer is accepted, what sort of timescale are we likely looking at between the result of the ballot being announced and a full timetable returning?
(28 Nov 2023, 5:42 pm)Dan_NCL wrote When are we likely to know the outcome of the ballot? And if the offer is accepted, what sort of timescale are we likely looking at between the result of the ballot being announced and a full timetable returning?

Full service expected from Saturday if it’s accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(28 Nov 2023, 5:42 pm)Dan_NCL wrote When are we likely to know the outcome of the ballot? And if the offer is accepted, what sort of timescale are we likely looking at between the result of the ballot being announced and a full timetable returning?

Ballot closes Friday morning.

Friday is when the ballot closes, and i presume the company will be notified of the outcome soon after that.

I suppose the latter part of your question depends how productive the operations management team are...!

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Ballot closes at 0930 Friday morning and results will be posted shortly after. IF the ballot is accepted then full service resumes on Saturday

Shifts have been allocated and overtime is available for anyone that requires it.
Views and Opinions are my own
(29 Nov 2023, 12:55 pm)NL62WVW wrote Ballot closes at 0930 Friday morning and results will be posted shortly after. IF the ballot is accepted then full service resumes on Saturday

Shifts have been allocated and overtime is available for anyone that requires it.

I for one will welcome the return of our friend, the short notice journey cancellation list
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(29 Nov 2023, 11:22 pm)Ambassador wrote I for one will welcome the return of our friend, the short notice journey cancellation list

I'm sure a silver award winner, in recruitment and retention, wouldn't resort to such methods!
(30 Nov 2023, 9:15 am)Adrian wrote I'm sure a silver award winner, in recruitment and retention, wouldn't resort to such methods!
So they are second best at recruitment and keeping staff, and GNE are in a sorry state I dread to think what the others will be in
Well they've lost me as an occasional customer. I've had to buy a car because of the strikes so even they go back to work tomorrow I won't be using them. I imagine a lot of people will of done the same. I cycle most places but when weather is bad or I'm not well I got he bus.
(30 Nov 2023, 9:15 am)Adrian wrote I'm sure a silver award winner, in recruitment and retention, wouldn't resort to such methods!

Ridiculous that a company that has a workforce currently on strike won an award for recruitment and retention. Illustrates how out of touch those involved in these awards are, and sends out a pretty poor message to companies which are trying to retain staff by offering decent wages without their workforce going on strike first! 

"You are not a bus driver" - given how GNE have handled this, who would want to be?
(31 Oct 2023, 6:06 pm)Aaron21 wrote Probs whatever Daniel can be bothered to give them (jokes Dan)

Probs give them 3 buses that ain't got a logo on yet and is in London colours to make sure nobody at Gateshead is waiting on a bus

(01 Dec 2023, 10:43 am)Iamtheone8483748 wrote Was very close from what I've seen.

616 accepted, 609 rejected
(01 Dec 2023, 10:43 am)Iamtheone8483748 wrote Was very close from what I've seen.

Came across this on Facebook

[Image: 6d42bae4b8805ff4de08d84374373f70.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(01 Dec 2023, 12:12 pm)d9817362 wrote https://x.com/danhollandnews/status/1730...98586?s=46

A Chronicle reporter is reporting that there will be free travel for a week.

So they said they couldn't offer what the drivers wanted because they were running at a loss, and on the first week back are offering free travel - meaning another week of no revenue. If they're able to afford that, then the statements about the financial state of the company evidently aren't true!
(01 Dec 2023, 12:32 pm)mb134 wrote So they said they couldn't offer what the drivers wanted because they were running at a loss, and on the first week back are offering free travel - meaning another week of no revenue. If they're able to afford that, then the statements about the financial state of the company evidently aren't true!

Their poor customers certainly deserve a gesture of goodwill and GNE need to work hard to tempt the public back onboard.
(01 Dec 2023, 12:39 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Their poor customers certainly deserve a gesture of goodwill and GNE need to work hard to tempt the public back onboard.

Gesture of goodwill would have been using some of this money that they're clearly sitting on to end the strike earlier.
(01 Dec 2023, 12:49 pm)mb134 wrote Gesture of goodwill would have been using some of this money that they're clearly sitting on to end the strike earlier.

Spot on. You can't cry poverty and then have money to give away once the dispute is over.

Regardless, I think we've seen that cheap fares are largely ineffective, so I wonder if zero fares will make much difference. I've noticed a few social media posts already stating that they're going to stick with their car sharing arrangements.

Edit: GNE comms are out, but no mention of this supposed freebie - https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/update-industrial-action
(01 Dec 2023, 12:09 pm)Andreos1 wrote https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-67588641

Being reported in the media now.

Nothing official from GNE Towers though.

The statement from GNE has now been added. 

Serial strike starter NF has said:
Nigel Featham, managing director at Go North East, said: "We're pleased that unite is ending its strike, allowing us to resume our usual bus services from Saturday.

"We look forward to welcoming customers back on board, I am sorry for all the disruption this stoppage has caused and we're relieved to be able to offer a full network once more serving our communities across the North East."

Nothing from Benjamin yet.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(01 Dec 2023, 1:34 pm)Andreos1 wrote The statement from GNE has now been added. 

Serial strike starter NF has said:

Nothing from Benjamin yet.

"We look forward to welcoming customers back on board, I am sorry for all the disruption this stoppage has caused and we're relieved to be able to offer a full network once more serving our communities across the North East."

What a load of bollocks.