Menu

Pages (6)    14 5 6
Storx   25 Mar 2024, 2:08 pm
(25 Mar 2024, 1:43 pm)mb134 wrote There are more than enough to run the services if they had the drivers, but as they don't I believe some are on loan to Blyth (7554 definitely is, and 7532/3 both have been).

Ashington are missing every X21/22 from Newcastle between 1900 and 2000 today, as well as the 1645/1655/1730. As at 1345, there are 3 buses on the X22 out of a PVR of 7. There are a combined 8 on the X21/35 out of a PVR of 13.  The incompetence of the management is reaching new levels, those responsible should be sacked.

Ah that makes sense, didn't realise stuff were on loan - lost track of the Enviro 400's and where they meant to be.

It's a mess mind, it's an awkward one though because of all these nice contracts they've took on that arguably now they're stuck with really only the 1/2/X21/X22 where they can cull and they seem to be prioritising the 1 and 2 for some reason, unsure why mind.

They really need to sort it out asap though or at least get some agency driver's which they've seemed to decide to not use anymore.

Blyth isn't much better mind, it's very random which routes they're prioritising there though almost like rolling a dice, one day it's the 308, the next day it's the X7/X8/X9 today it's the X10/X11 with 5/8 boards.
mb134   25 Mar 2024, 2:24 pm
(25 Mar 2024, 2:08 pm)Storx wrote It's a mess mind, it's an awkward one though because of all these nice contracts they've took on that arguably now they're stuck with really only the 1/2/X21/X22 where they can cull and they seem to be prioritising the 1 and 2 for some reason, unsure why mind.

They really need to sort it out asap though or at least get some agency driver's which they've seemed to decide to not use anymore.

It's ultimately down to those at the top deciding to not pay the going rate for drivers. Bidding for all the extra work at the detriment to the current network is negligence. If you look into who is running the show operationally there now (a quick Google of "Head of Service delivery Arriva North East" should do the trick), they've got no real credentials to suggest they'd be capable of running a bus company and certainly what we're currently seeing backs that up.
Storx   25 Mar 2024, 2:44 pm
(25 Mar 2024, 2:24 pm)mb134 wrote It's ultimately down to those at the top deciding to not pay the going rate for drivers. Bidding for all the extra work at the detriment to the current network is negligence. If you look into who is running the show operationally there now (a quick Google of "Head of Service delivery Arriva North East" should do the trick), they've got no real credentials to suggest they'd be capable of running a bus company and certainly what we're currently seeing backs that up.

Aye totally agreed mind. Must admit I've lost track of who runs what with Arriva now but if it's who I think you mean (Josh Rochford) he certainly has ran some places which I'd argue are a failure. 

Seems like another who should be getting demoted has been promoted for reasons unknown. Nothing new though really. 

It'll be interesting to see how iSquared deal with it as they aren't half inheriting a mess or even worse whether they're part of these decisions as there's not much going around to say they're experts at transport either.
tyresmoke   25 Mar 2024, 2:44 pm
Believe there is a shortage of serviceable vehicles at Blyth, while Ashington have loads of vehicles but no drivers! So several are on loan over at Blyth but I’m told missed runout by 11 today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Storx   25 Mar 2024, 3:13 pm
(25 Mar 2024, 2:44 pm)tyresmoke wrote Believe there is a shortage of serviceable vehicles at Blyth, while Ashington have loads of vehicles but no drivers! So several are on loan over at Blyth but I’m told missed runout by 11 today!

Explains how I got mixed up then. Makes sense then as I've totally lost track of where the Enviro's were. 

Thought it was the opposite way round as Blyth has been struggling since COVID one way or another.
mb134   25 Mar 2024, 3:34 pm
(25 Mar 2024, 2:44 pm)tyresmoke wrote Believe there is a shortage of serviceable vehicles at Blyth, while Ashington have loads of vehicles but no drivers! So several are on loan over at Blyth but I’m told missed runout by 11 today!

They seem to enjoy getting vehicles on loan and breaking those too. 

Ultimately all comes down to these poor standards being accepted by upper management - who clearly aren't fit to do the job.
Shrek   25 Mar 2024, 4:20 pm
(25 Mar 2024, 2:44 pm)Storx wrote Aye totally agreed mind. Must admit I've lost track of who runs what with Arriva now but if it's who I think you mean (Josh Rochford) he certainly has ran some places which I'd argue are a failure. 

Seems like another who should be getting demoted has been promoted for reasons unknown. Nothing new though really. 

It'll be interesting to see how iSquared deal with it as they aren't half inheriting a mess or even worse whether they're part of these decisions as there's not much going around to say they're experts at transport either.

From the little digging I did about iSquared, they do have a reputation for being quite savvy, bringing in people with knowledge to run things and obviously with the main aim to make a profit. But they are willing to invest to ensure that profit arrives. 

I really hope this happens with Arriva, as I rely on them to get me to the pub. Non-alcohol nights out with the car just aren't as good. Parking near work in the centre of town is extortionate too, so prefer the £4 bus instead.
mb134   25 Mar 2024, 4:30 pm
(25 Mar 2024, 4:20 pm)Shrek wrote From the little digging I did about iSquared, they do have a reputation for being quite savvy, bringing in people with knowledge to run things and obviously with the main aim to make a profit. But they are willing to invest to ensure that profit arrives. 

I really hope this happens with Arriva, as I rely on them to get me to the pub. Non-alcohol nights out with the car just aren't as good. Parking near work in the centre of town is extortionate too, so prefer the £4 bus instead.

You'd hope this would be the case. Arriva NE seems to be in a death spiral at present, and if it's that evident to us from the outside you'd hope that people purchasing the business for a large sum of money would also see that. 

It needs to happen sooner rather than later if they want to be successful, as when franchising inevitably comes around the powers that be certainly aren't going to look favourably on this current group of charlatans.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Mike_98   25 Mar 2024, 4:51 pm
(25 Mar 2024, 4:20 pm)Shrek wrote From the little digging I did about iSquared, they do have a reputation for being quite savvy, bringing in people with knowledge to run things and obviously with the main aim to make a profit. But they are willing to invest to ensure that profit arrives. 

Well I imagine once April hits, they will invest on updating all the fleet across the country and to get rid of the vehicles which are odd to Arriva now such as seeing off Old Commanders, Cadets, ALX400's, B7's, Temsa Avenues, MCV Evolution's, Darts, Lowlanders. Well that's if they have the finances to do that. I just hope they don't just go straight to changing London's fleet which is not actually needed until the next 6-10 years.
Storx   25 Mar 2024, 5:33 pm

Aye that's fair must say I couldn't find much on them in either direction.

Agreed though, the ironic thing is the North East is one of the better operations aswell - believe it or not. Arriva Kent and Arriva North West, in particular, are much much worse!

Just sums up how bad they are tbh.

(25 Mar 2024, 4:51 pm)Mike_98 wrote I just hope they don't just go straight to changing London's fleet which is not actually needed until the next 6-10 years.

They won't do that as it's all tenders. You bid for a vehicle type and they stay the length of the contract usually, unless you bid for a new contract and that route has newer buses than a current route - then they might move the older vehicles out as it just makes sense.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the DB300's come to the regional fleets though, no-one else will want them as no-one other than Arriva really has any.
Shrek   25 Mar 2024, 5:44 pm
(25 Mar 2024, 5:33 pm)Storx wrote Aye that's fair must say I couldn't find much on them in either direction.

Agreed though, the ironic thing is the North East is one of the better operations aswell - believe it or not. Arriva Kent and Arriva North West, in particular, are much much worse!

Just sums up how bad they are tbh.

You see it so often when a company is up for sale. The longer it goes, the less the parent company invest in either assets or often more importantly people, and the decline starts to accelerate fast. You would assume new leadership will be the first thing to come. It normally is after a takeover.
Storx   25 Mar 2024, 5:54 pm
(25 Mar 2024, 5:44 pm)Shrek wrote You see it so often when a company is up for sale. The longer it goes, the less the parent company invest in either assets or often more importantly people, and the decline starts to accelerate fast. You would assume new leadership will be the first thing to come. It normally is after a takeover.

Yeah definitely, mind DB Regio pretty much gave up about 5 years ago to be honest. First was much of the same really awhile back and they've seemed to turned the business around a bit. It's not perfect, but it's certainly better than it was, ignoring the mess that's Avanti trains.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
OrangeArrow49   01 May 2024, 8:56 pm
What's the status of 1501/NK12 FLN? It hasn't tracked since 19th March.
tyresmoke   04 May 2024, 8:49 am
(01 May 2024, 8:56 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote What's the status of 1501/NK12 FLN? It hasn't tracked since 19th March.

Been at Durham for an engine and still there

OrangeArrow49   04 May 2024, 9:19 am
(04 May 2024, 8:49 am)tyresmoke wrote Been at Durham for an engine and still there

Ah, it's a Durham bus? It was spotted in Newcastle on Wednesday, broken down.
tyresmoke   04 May 2024, 9:27 am
(04 May 2024, 9:19 am)OrangeArrow49 wrote Ah, it's a Durham bus? It was spotted in Newcastle on Wednesday, broken down.

Blyth one… Durham have an engine shop and keep fitting engines to several vehicles - some several times…!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
OrangeArrow49   04 May 2024, 9:35 am
(04 May 2024, 9:27 am)tyresmoke wrote Blyth one… Durham have an engine shop and keep fitting engines to several vehicles - some several times…!

Of course! Yeah, that figures! 

Strange it was out in Newcastle, but not on a service, presumably testing it and it's obviously still broke...
Aaron21   10 May 2024, 11:14 am
Hmmm it seems 7556 has lost the AX at the front of the bus but has also lost all Pink vinyls on the side and front of the bus. Is this the work of Arriva now longer being owned by DB. 308s have lost there branding and poppy has gone as well
Jimmi   10 May 2024, 4:13 pm
(10 May 2024, 11:14 am)Aaron21 wrote Hmmm it seems 7556 has lost the AX at the front of the bus but has also lost all Pink vinyls on the side and front of the bus. Is this the work of Arriva now longer being owned by DB. 308s have lost there branding and poppy has gone as well

More likely because these vinyls advertised free WiFi, a feature which has been removed from whole fleet.
Driver9***   12 May 2024, 1:34 pm
(10 May 2024, 4:13 pm)Jimmi wrote More likely because these vinyls advertised free WiFi, a feature which has been removed from whole fleet.

Redundant as mobile data is cheap as chips nowadays.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   12 May 2024, 2:57 pm
(10 May 2024, 4:13 pm)Jimmi wrote More likely because these vinyls advertised free WiFi, a feature which has been removed from whole fleet.

Still actively promoted as being available on the not in service destination display!

See: https://flic.kr/p/2pPxpw1

N391OTY   12 May 2024, 3:41 pm
(12 May 2024, 2:57 pm)Dan wrote Still actively promoted as being available on the not in service destination display!

Think you might have the wrong date on this photo, as 7580 was away south by 21/4/24.

21/3/24 perhaps ?
streetdeckfan   12 May 2024, 3:46 pm
(12 May 2024, 2:57 pm)Dan wrote Still actively promoted as being available on the not in service destination display!

It's also still on the NSA displays
davao123   06 Jun 2024, 6:39 pm
Are Enviro 200s 1323-1326 due to move to Yorkshire at some point? As 1327 and 1330 came a few weeks back, as apparently Castleford need 8 additional buses for the service changes in July
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
thw1008   10 Jun 2024, 8:18 pm
I noticed 1479 sitting in the layby on A1 Southbound near Seaton Burn earlier with a bus full of passengers, possibly awaiting recovery/a replacement bus.
Pages (6)    14 5 6