Menu

Pages (5)    13 4 5   
BusLoverMum   15 Dec 2023, 10:55 am
I notice that, last week. Finding the buses you want to check is fun.
lxbical   15 Jan 2024, 3:42 pm
App now shows buses that are cancelled in the departure page, not sure when it was rolled out or how it classifies a bus is cancelled

[Image: IMG_0149.PNG?ex=65b7c6fa&is=65a551fa&hm=...d96a6fcfe&]
Unber43   15 Jan 2024, 4:13 pm
Only took them over 2 years
Dan   15 Jan 2024, 7:02 pm
(15 Jan 2024, 4:13 pm)Unber43 wrote Only took them over 2 years

It’s only just been released by Passenger as a feature last month…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Shrek   15 Jan 2024, 7:18 pm
(15 Jan 2024, 7:02 pm)Dan wrote It’s only just been released by Passenger as a feature last month…

It's a good thing to have on the app. When Arriva added it last year, I wasn't quite as angry knowing it was cancelled in advance as I would've been getting soaked just hoping at the bus stop. Hopefully will save the drivers from a few angry passengers.
Dan   15 Jan 2024, 7:41 pm
(15 Jan 2024, 7:18 pm)Shrek wrote It's a good thing to have on the app. When Arriva added it last year, I wasn't quite as angry knowing it was cancelled in advance as I would've been getting soaked just hoping at the bus stop. Hopefully will save the drivers from a few angry passengers.

Agreed.

It is much clearer than the journey simply disappearing.

GNE requested this from Passenger years ago, so implemented it as soon as they could.

mb134   15 Jan 2024, 8:05 pm
(15 Jan 2024, 7:41 pm)Dan wrote Agreed.

It is much clearer than the journey simply disappearing.

GNE requested this from Passenger years ago, so implemented it as soon as they could.

It's probably also better for folk waiting in the middle of a route, compared to using the short notice cancellation page. 

Lots of folk seem to have a poor idea on how long buses take to get to their stop from the origin, so seeing the service as cancelled from their stop versus "17:30 ex Newcastle" will probably be better for passengers too. 

Hopefully this is a tad more robust than the Arriva version, where buses that lose signal mid-route occasionally show up as cancelled (unless that issue has been sorted now!).
idiot   15 Jan 2024, 8:58 pm
(15 Jan 2024, 8:05 pm)mb134 wrote It's probably also better for folk waiting in the middle of a route, compared to using the short notice cancellation page. 

Lots of folk seem to have a poor idea on how long buses take to get to their stop from the origin, so seeing the service as cancelled from their stop versus "17:30 ex Newcastle" will probably be better for passengers too. 

Hopefully this is a tad more robust than the Arriva version, where buses that lose signal mid-route occasionally show up as cancelled (unless that issue has been sorted now!).

Defo agree long bus routes are a pain and yiu never know which one is cancelled.

Maybe on cancellation page they could do something like..
12.01 to xx via xx at 1256
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
streetdeckfan   16 Jan 2024, 2:42 am
(15 Jan 2024, 7:18 pm)Shrek wrote It's a good thing to have on the app. When Arriva added it last year, I wasn't quite as angry knowing it was cancelled in advance as I would've been getting soaked just hoping at the bus stop. Hopefully will save the drivers from a few angry passengers.
Arriva have had this on their app for years, well before the big flu!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
logidoodah   16 Jan 2024, 12:39 pm
(16 Jan 2024, 2:42 am)streetdeckfan wrote Arriva have had this on their app for years, well before the big flu!

I believe Stagecoach did too. Guess thats the perks of having their own apps rather than using Passenger (however SNE/ANE are paid for nationally and GNE locally)
Out of the big 3, I prefer the apps in the following order SNE - GNE - ANE.

1) Stagecoach gets first because I think in all the years I have had 1 or 2 problems which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. The buses are usually quite accurate on where they actually are and the live predicted time is top notch. 

2) I am hit or miss with GNE. Their app is bad with the live tracking. To clarify I am not talking about buses not tracking I'm talking about when they have delayed tracking. For instance I once tried to get a bus and it had already gone (bearing in mind I was 3 mins early on an evening). I the bus stop said due but the bus was still at its terminus. I live 5 mins journey from the terminus. This has happened multiple times. However the due times at the bus stop seem to be accurate.

3) Arriva is last as I cannot stand the app. It never works and it always glitches and crashes for me. I also don't like how they have minutes until but you have to go through each route. I prefer and have told my family to use bustimes.org instead of the app (for tracking).
Shrek   16 Jan 2024, 6:41 pm
(16 Jan 2024, 2:42 am)streetdeckfan wrote Arriva have had this on their app for years, well before the big flu!

I've just checked and it was November 2022 that I've got an email from Arriva saying cancellations would be showing from midway through that month. If it was on the app before that, it didn't work well and their staff weren't aware of it.
Robbie64   24 Mar 2024, 9:42 pm
Is anyone else having issues lately with the App when clicking on Explore and finding that you can see where you are on a map (albeit with no street names showing) from the blue dot but that there are no bus stops showing? This seems to happen a number of times during the day and is annoying when i need to check what buses at a stop are due. It will do this for a while and then work perfectly fine. When it's playing up like this it's no good for live tracking.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
BusLoverMum   24 Mar 2024, 10:39 pm
(24 Mar 2024, 9:42 pm)Robbie64 wrote Is anyone else having issues lately with the App when clicking on Explore and finding that you can see where you are on a map (albeit with no street names showing) from the blue dot but that there are no bus stops showing? This seems to happen a number of times during the day and is annoying when i need to check what buses at a stop are due. It will do this for a while and then work perfectly fine. When it's playing up like this it's no good for live tracking.

I'm not having that issue but it's hit or miss whether the tracking is tracking. Even on home WiFi.
Iamtheone8483748   12 Apr 2024, 4:37 pm
About time this became a feature! https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/update-sho...-procedure
Adrian   15 Apr 2024, 9:18 am
(12 Apr 2024, 4:37 pm)Iamtheone8483748 wrote About time this became a feature! https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/update-sho...-procedure
I presume it still takes someone to update the app?

If they can't get someone to put a tweet out or update the website regularly, should we have more confidence in this being used?

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian   15 Apr 2024, 9:32 am
I think I've answered my own question...

Looking at the 4, the 10.02 departure from Houghton is missing. The app shows it not tracking, and I can't see the trip having been activated on bustimes...

Looking at the timetable, they may have been a bus short all morning?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Iamtheone8483748   15 Apr 2024, 9:36 am
Likewise an X20 this morning wasn't tracking or activated on bustimes, but didn't show as cancelled on the app.
Storx   15 Apr 2024, 9:36 am
(15 Apr 2024, 9:18 am)Adrian wrote I presume it still takes someone to update the app?

If they can't get someone to put a tweet out or update the website regularly, should we have more confidence in this being used?

I'm still surprised they still can't and still don't show live information including cancellations on the website personally. The live information should be automated and cancellations should be as easy as clicking a few buttons to cancel that bus.

It's a really poor website imo and that's before going into the absolute car crash of the fares page.
Dan   15 Apr 2024, 11:16 am
(15 Apr 2024, 9:36 am)Storx wrote I'm still surprised they still can't and still don't show live information including cancellations on the website personally. The live information should be automated and cancellations should be as easy as clicking a few buttons to cancel that bus.

It's a really poor website imo and that's before going into the absolute car crash of the fares page.

They do - anything cancelled in the app should also be shown as cancelled on the service updates page:

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/service-updates

Storx   15 Apr 2024, 2:48 pm
(15 Apr 2024, 11:16 am)Dan wrote They do - anything cancelled in the app should also be shown as cancelled on the service updates page:

I'm assuming they're not doing it then as it's not showing for me? Never has either as far as I'm aware.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Ambassador   15 Apr 2024, 9:59 pm
I sort of approve of this but if there’s still known cancellations, particularly on early morning or low frequency services having notice could help. It would allow people to make alternative arrangements (perhaps an extra hour in bed)
Dan   16 Apr 2024, 4:50 am
(15 Apr 2024, 2:48 pm)Storx wrote I'm assuming they're not doing it then as it's not showing for me? Never has either as far as I'm aware.

I’ve certainly seen it in the past. It was more commonly used for breakdowns rather than driver related cancellations.

I understand the central control room team have lost a few more staff since then, so they may be struggling to resource updating it…

BusLoverMum   16 Apr 2024, 7:49 am
(15 Apr 2024, 11:16 am)Dan wrote They do - anything cancelled in the app should also be shown as cancelled on the service updates page:

I'm hoping that means that the three 50s in a row supposedly cancelled are actually running, then
Attached Files
busmanT   16 Apr 2024, 6:09 pm
(16 Apr 2024, 7:49 am)BusLoverMum wrote I'm hoping that means that the three 50s in a row supposedly cancelled are actually running, then

Weren’t the level crossing gates on Boldon Lane stuck down this morning due to a failed train resulting in major diversions and delays to the 5 & 50?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Storx   16 Apr 2024, 6:12 pm
(16 Apr 2024, 4:50 am)Dan wrote I’ve certainly seen it in the past. It was more commonly used for breakdowns rather than driver related cancellations.

I understand the central control room team have lost a few more staff since then, so they may be struggling to resource updating it…

Aye that would make sense, just seems like it should be connected. I'm assuming it's all database done, so don't see why Passenger couldn't make a page that can read the cancellations automatically and displayed them some way without assuming having to manually do it.

That was a dig at Passenger more than GNE, tbh.

It's a shame that the Open Bus Data API, doesn't have a section where if a bus doesn't run at all, then they get that feed so apps, like the famous BusTimes, can actually display when things aren't running. Would be a massive game changer really, rather than it just being 'unknown' like current, especially for real time displayed at bus stops etc.
RobinHood   16 Apr 2024, 8:09 pm
(16 Apr 2024, 6:38 pm)busmanT wrote https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/graduate-p...commercial

£27k is an embarrassment.
BusLoverMum   16 Apr 2024, 8:23 pm
(16 Apr 2024, 6:09 pm)busmanT wrote Weren’t the level crossing gates on Boldon Lane stuck down this morning due to a failed train resulting in major diversions and delays to the 5 & 50?

The service information just said there would be diversions. I'm thinking thst wires got crossed for them to show as cancelled because at least once of those three passed our house. I haven't checked bustimes.

(16 Apr 2024, 8:23 pm)BusLoverMum wrote The service information just said there would be diversions. I'm thinking thst wires got crossed for them to show as cancelled because at least once of those three passed our house. I haven't checked bustimes.
Have now. Bustimes shows the gap clearly but looks like the third one ran from Durham, which will be the one I saw. Maybe the service information needed to be more honest.
Attached Files
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Ambassador   16 Apr 2024, 8:32 pm
(16 Apr 2024, 8:09 pm)RobinHood wrote £27k is an embarrassment.

It’s inline with the North Esst average for a first time graduate role. Slightly higher than many I’ve seen advertised, especially for a 2:2 requirement too which is unusual, most won’t consider a 2:2

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Storx   16 Apr 2024, 8:40 pm
(16 Apr 2024, 8:32 pm)Ambassador wrote It’s inline with the North Esst average for a first time graduate role. Slightly higher than many I’ve seen advertised, especially for a 2:2 requirement too which is unusual, most won’t consider a 2:2

Can't imagine there'd be many wanting to work in buses, bit of a dead end area with crap wages higher up, compared to other areas and that's from someone with the degree they're asking for.

It was the PSV licence part which is more baffling for me, not sure why any graduate, who's spent years at university, would exactly be excited by that.
Pages (5)    13 4 5