You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: July 2024 changes
(13 Jun 2024, 6:47 pm)Dan wrote Why should customers on the X30/X31 have increased journey times and be inconvenienced by a busy bus stop being omitted just to allow the fleet to be re-shuffled?

The solution to older buses being used on the X10 and X21, as I have said before, is just to fix the problems that the allocated buses have. Not to move the problem elsewhere and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But literally everything has been on the X21 and still no success

- Ex London B7TL's
- 6301-07 and 6331-33 thrown in later down the line
- 6308-14
- 6356-63

Likewise.....the exact same 4x E400MMC (6352-55) are getting an almost daily pounding up and down the A19 with no relief other than from 6377.

Don't know which stop you're referring to unless it's the one before Ellison Road bridge on the X30/X31. But surely passengers woud use an alternative stop? Wouldn't also like to think about the costs associated with lost mileage either all the way down in Tessside or the Wear Valley including recovery.
(14 Jun 2024, 12:20 am)Aaron21 wrote Would the 9 be fully ran out of Deptford or would it be shared between Deptford & Percy Main or would Percy Main run it like they did years ago

Deptford,  as it was the last time it ran to North Shields
Looks like the:

X72 is Monday to Sunday
67/69/X73 is Monday to Saturday

PB0003954/1437 GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA From: Stanley To: Newcastle Via: Annfield Plain, Dipton, Flint Hill, Sunniside, Whickham, Metrocentre Name or No.: X73 Service type: Normal Stopping Effective date: 21 July 2024 Other details: Monday to Saturday

PB0003954/1434 GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA From: Metrocentre To: Queen Elizabeth Hospital Via: Bensham, Deckham Name or No.: 67 Service type: Normal Stopping Effective date: 21 July 2024 Other details: Monday to Saturday

PB0003954/1435 GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA From: Queen Elizabeth Hospital To: Winlaton Via: Low Fell, Bensham, Whickham, Blaydon Name or No.: 69 Service type: Normal Stopping Effective date: 21 July 2024 Other details: Monday to Saturday

PB0003954/1436 GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA From: Stanley To: Newcastle Via: Annfield Plain, Dipton, Flint Hill, Burnopfield, Sunniside, Team Valley North, Gateshead Name or No.: X72 Service type: Normal Stopping Effective date: 21 July 2024 Other details: Monday to Sunday
(15 Jun 2024, 9:46 am)Michael wrote Looks like the:

X72 is Monday to Sunday
67/69/X73 is Monday to Saturday

PB0003954/1437 GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA From: Stanley To: Newcastle Via: Annfield Plain, Dipton, Flint Hill, Sunniside, Whickham, Metrocentre Name or No.: X73 Service type: Normal Stopping Effective date: 21 July 2024 Other details: Monday to Saturday

PB0003954/1434 GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA From: Metrocentre To: Queen Elizabeth Hospital Via: Bensham, Deckham Name or No.: 67 Service type: Normal Stopping Effective date: 21 July 2024 Other details: Monday to Saturday

PB0003954/1435 GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA From: Queen Elizabeth Hospital To: Winlaton Via: Low Fell, Bensham, Whickham, Blaydon Name or No.: 69 Service type: Normal Stopping Effective date: 21 July 2024 Other details: Monday to Saturday

PB0003954/1436 GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA From: Stanley To: Newcastle Via: Annfield Plain, Dipton, Flint Hill, Burnopfield, Sunniside, Team Valley North, Gateshead Name or No.: X72 Service type: Normal Stopping Effective date: 21 July 2024 Other details: Monday to Sunday

I wonder how long it takes to change licence details since GNE are no longer at 117
(13 Jun 2024, 10:10 pm)Storx wrote Be interesting to see what the X32 is mind, just think in Stanley would prefer the fast link to Gateshead over another bus to Whickham, the time difference between Sunniside is identical, give or take.

I'm surprised it hasn't be resolved tbh as the X72 is way too slow. Obviously just leaves the Whickham bit somewhere so just curtail it and take 2 buses off the 97(1) instead it should be doable as it's roughly 30 minutes from Newcastle to Whickham on the X30, be PVR neutral.

The X72 no longer mentions Lobley Hill Estate (I believe it used to when registered with the X71?), so perhaps the X32 will be replacing this section while also giving a quicker link to Gateshead from Stanley.
(15 Jun 2024, 11:08 am)Iamtheone8483748 wrote The X72 no longer mentions Lobley Hill Estate (I believe it used to when registered with the X71?), so perhaps the X32 will be replacing this section while also giving a quicker link to Gateshead from Stanley.
Could it not be something like.......

Every 20 minutes via Whickham & Dunston
- X30 - Stanley - Shield Row - Sunniside - Whickham - Dunston - Newcastle

- X70 - Consett - Leadgate - Dipton - Burnopfield - Sunniside - Whickham - Dunston - Newcastle

- X71 - Consett - Medomsley - Burnopfield - Sunniside - Whickham - Dunston - Newcastle

Bearing in mind,  X72 would cover the Dipton to Gateshead links in situ of the X70/X71. Most of Consett could either do X45 > X66 or change in Sunniside if needing Gateshead or for latter option, Team Valley. Likelihood is that the X31/X32/X72 would operate a few minutes after the X30/X70/X71 due to the quicker route via Gateshead.

Every 20 minutes via Team Valley & Gateshead
- X31 - Stanley - East Stanley - Sunniside - Lobley Hill Bank - Team Valley North - Gateshead - Newcastle

- X32 - Stanley - East Stanley - Sunniside - Lobley Hill Estate - Team Valley North - Gateshead - Newcastle

- X72 - Stanley - Annfield Plain - Dipton - Flint Hill - - Tantobie (evenings & Sundays) - Burnopfield - Sunniside - Lobley Hill Bank - Team Valley North - Gateshead - Newcastle

Then the X73
- X73 - Stanley - Annfield Plain - Dipton - Flint Hill - Sleepy Valley - Sunniside - Whickham - MetroCentre - Newcastle
(15 Jun 2024, 12:54 pm)L469 YVK wrote Could it not be something like.......

Every 20 minutes via Whickham & Dunston
- X30 - Stanley - Shield Row - Sunniside - Whickham - Dunston - Newcastle

- X70 - Consett - Leadgate - Dipton - Burnopfield - Sunniside - Whickham - Dunston - Newcastle

- X71 - Consett - Medomsley - Burnopfield - Sunniside - Whickham - Dunston - Newcastle

Bearing in mind,  X72 would cover the Dipton to Gateshead links in situ of the X70/X71. Most of Consett could either do X45 > X66 or change in Sunniside if needing Gateshead or for latter option, Team Valley. Likelihood is that the X31/X32/X72 would operate a few minutes after the X30/X70/X71 due to the quicker route via Gateshead.

Every 20 minutes via Team Valley & Gateshead
- X31 - Stanley - East Stanley - Sunniside - Lobley Hill Bank - Team Valley North - Gateshead - Newcastle

- X32 - Stanley - East Stanley - Sunniside - Lobley Hill Estate - Team Valley North - Gateshead - Newcastle

- X72 - Stanley - Annfield Plain - Dipton - Flint Hill - - Tantobie (evenings & Sundays) - Burnopfield - Sunniside - Lobley Hill Bank - Team Valley North - Gateshead - Newcastle

Then the X73
- X73 - Stanley - Annfield Plain - Dipton - Flint Hill - Sleepy Valley - Sunniside - Whickham - MetroCentre - Newcastle

You'd be better splitting the services imo. No-one from Whickham wants to go to Stanley / Consett and the links already exist mostly with the 6 anyway. 

Just send all the X30/X31/X70/X71 via Gateshead and have a short service to Whickham ran by single deckers instead doing all of Whickham. 

Whether you want to curtail the 97 at Gateshead that's your choice, it's not exactly needed to cross the water anymore since the service is covered at most stops anyway.
(15 Jun 2024, 2:48 pm)V514DFT wrote Another service suggestions thread....

So a cheeky predicition of the listed changes counts as a service suggestion then?
(15 Jun 2024, 2:12 pm)Storx wrote You'd be better splitting the services imo. No-one from Whickham wants to go to Stanley / Consett and the links already exist mostly with the 6 anyway. 

Just send all the X30/X31/X70/X71 via Gateshead and have a short service to Whickham ran by single deckers instead doing all of Whickham. 

Whether you want to curtail the 97 at Gateshead that's your choice, it's not exactly needed to cross the water anymore since the service is covered at most stops anyway.

Not unless you want to send the 97 to Wiltshire drive and Hadrian Park via Byker Walkergate Metro Wallsend and up to Wiltshire Drive and Hadrian Park
Just thought about the X32.....but could this not just be the current peak time 'extra' X30/X31's, instead running via or close to the old X32 route giving peak time links to Gateshead & Team Valley?
Also, just worked out potential timings based on the X70 returning and X73 being introduced. Would be a PVR of 10x either way according to the screenshot. Most viable working pattern based on traffic and layovers for recovery (rather than a long layover at Consett) would be something like this using estimated running times (used the 'old' 6 times as a guide for the X73).

See attached screenshot for further info. Times on the left are with tighter turnaround times in Stanley, but extended Consett layover. Times on the right are with more recovery time in Stanley and still a fairly decent amount of time in Consett.

X70 > X73 > X72 > X71 (CON-NCL-STY-NCL-CON)
X71 > X72 > X73 > X70  (CON-NCL-STY-NCL-CON)

Also working it out vehicle wise

- X30/X31/X45 - PVR 9
- X70/X71/X72/X73 - PVR 10

That's a PVR increase of 5x to 19x vehicles up from 14x. Only way that can be sorted unless using ex London / GAG stock, would be to bring across 6308-14 from Deptford (with X20 getting 7x of whatever allocated) + 6338-40 to cover the X70/X71/X72/X73 with 6341-49 covering the X30/X31/X45.

6350 & 51 kept as spares not forgetting that other full height Euro 6 stock could also be used on the 47 & X70's.
Informed this morning of the following
  • 9 Extended to Jarrow via Tyne Tunnel 7 Days a week
  • 39/a/b Doxford Park - Pennywell only (Early morning to Houghton
  • 51/52 Every 30 mins on a evening
  • 57 Route change ( Sunderland Road - Wardley Turning Circle - Ellen Wilkinson Estate - Lingley Lane)
  • 65 - Increased to hourly on Sundays
  • X32 - Same route as X31 to Sunniside then same route as X72 from Sunniside to Newcastle
  • X70 - Reintroduced Consett - Newcastle
  • Daytime journeys on X72 will be renumbered X73 and operate between Crookgate & Newcastle
  • X71 Rerouted via Whickham & Dunston
  • 67 Mon - Sat between QE Hospital - Metrocentre
  • 69 Mon - Sat between QE Hospital - Winlaton
Views and Opinions are my own
(18 Jun 2024, 9:44 am)NL62WVW wrote Informed this morning of the following
  • 57 Route change ( Sunderland Road - Wardley Turning Circle - Ellen Wilkinson Estate - Lingley Lane)
  • X32 - Same route as X31 to Sunniside then same route as X72 from Sunniside to Newcastle
  • Daytime journeys on X72 will be renumbered X73 and operate between Crookgate & Newcastle
Could they not have ran the 67/69 on a Sunday as well... Feel a bit sorry for anyone who regularly uses it on a Sunday
Be interesting to see the full detail behind these, as at first read the Consett changes seem confusing to me. X30/31 & X71 via Dunston, and X70/71 & X32 via Lobley Hill?
(18 Jun 2024, 11:44 am)Chris 1 wrote Be interesting to see the full detail behind these, as at first read the Consett changes seem confusing to me.  X30/31 & X71 via Dunston, and X70/71 & X32 via Lobley Hill?

To me, it looks like we have:
X30 Stanley to Newcastle via Shield Row, Sunniside, Whickham and Dunston
X31 Stanley to Newcastle via East Stanley, Sunniside, Whickham and Dunston
X32 Stanley to Newcastle via East Stanley, Sunniside, Lobley Hill and Gateshead
X70 Consett to Newcastle via Leadgate, Dipton, Flint Hill, Burnopfield, Sunniside, Lobley Hill and Gateshead
X71 Consett to Newcastle via Leadgate, Medomsley, Burnopfield, Sunniside, Lobley Hill and Gateshead
X72 (eve/Sun) Stanley to Newcastle via Annfield Plain, Dipton, Flint Hill, Burnopfield, Sunniside, Lobley Hill and Gateshead
X73 (Mon to Sat Daytime) Stanley to Newcastle via Annfield Plain, Dipton, Flint Hill, Burnopfield, Sunniside, Whickham and Metrocentre
That makes more sense, I'd interpreted the original post differently. For example, the post above states the X71 being re-routed via Dunston. And the X32 via Lobley Hill. In terms of numbering the services for example, it seems more logical to me to have the X30/31/32 following a common route, rather than an X30/31 and a random X71 going through Dunston.
(18 Jun 2024, 12:07 pm)Chris 1 wrote That makes more sense, I'd interpreted the original post differently.  For example, the post above states the X71 being re-routed via Dunston.  And the X32 via Lobley Hill.  In terms of numbering the services for example, it seems more logical to me to have the X30/31/32 following a common route, rather than an X30/31 and a random X71 going through Dunston.

It's a complete mess if you ask me. I don't understand why the X73 isn't part of the 6 instead, they're pretty much near identical than confusing things and forcing it with the expresses. What's express about it is a mystery to me.

The X30/X31/X32 is stupid aswell. The Dunston area is just an inconvenience if you ask me and should be pulled out of the Consett / Stanley expresses with the buses going via the Metrocentre or Gateshead where people well actually want to be...

There's also no need for 3 buses an hour from Stanley to Newcastle off peak either. They're not busy at all.
(18 Jun 2024, 12:07 pm)Chris 1 wrote That makes more sense, I'd interpreted the original post differently.  For example, the post above states the X71 being re-routed via Dunston.  And the X32 via Lobley Hill.  In terms of numbering the services for example, it seems more logical to me to have the X30/31/32 following a common route, rather than an X30/31 and a random X71 going through Dunston.

Took directly from the briefing that's been posted

Funded through BSIP, new service X32 will be introduced between Stanley and Newcastle via Gateshead. This will follow the same route as the X31 to Sunniside and then the same route As X72 between Sunniside and Newcastle.

Funded through BSIP, service X70 will be reintroduced between Consett and Newcastle via Dipton, Burnopfield and Gateshead. Daytime journeys on service X72 will be renumbered X73 and operate between Crookgate and Newcastle via Whickham and the Metrocentre. Service X71 will be rerouted via Whickham and Dunston to provide a approximate 20 minute frequency on this section of the route alongside services X30 and X31
Views and Opinions are my own
(18 Jun 2024, 9:44 am)NL62WVW wrote Informed this morning of the following

Timetables for some of the services within County Durham are now on the Durham timetable site, however any routes with new service numbers aren't listed as yet (eg. X73)

201 - departing Peterlee Bus Station, will run to the current route until the Shotton Road Flyover stop, where instead of going via: Mill Hill, Lowhills Road & York Road, will instead head straight on over Peterlee Roundabout and do the current Arriva 22B route via Acre Rigg Road - presumably the 202 will be the reverse of the 201 route.
(18 Jun 2024, 4:24 pm)NL62WVW wrote Took directly from the briefing that's been posted

Funded through BSIP, new service X32 will be introduced between Stanley and Newcastle via Gateshead. This will follow the same route as the X31 to Sunniside and then the same route As X72 between Sunniside and Newcastle.

Funded through BSIP, service X70 will be reintroduced between Consett and Newcastle via Dipton, Burnopfield and Gateshead. Daytime journeys on service X72 will be renumbered X73 and operate between Crookgate and Newcastle via Whickham and the Metrocentre. Service X71 will be rerouted via Whickham and Dunston to provide a approximate 20 minute frequency on this section of the route alongside services X30 and X31

BSIP being utilised wisely again I see,
Who on earth has the brass neck to apply for it and which absolute buffoon is approving the applications?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(18 Jun 2024, 6:28 pm)Jimmi wrote Timetables for some of the services within County Durham are now on the Durham timetable site, however any routes with new service numbers aren't listed as yet (eg. X73)

201 - departing Peterlee Bus Station, will run to the current route until the Shotton Road Flyover stop, where instead of going via: Mill Hill, Lowhills Road & York Road, will instead head straight on over Peterlee Roundabout and do the current Arriva 22B route via Acre Rigg Road - presumably the 202 will be the reverse of the 201 route.

I must be blind because I can't find them haha
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.