You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Speed Limits
While I'm not too familiar with the A690 east of Durham, one common reason for a dual carriageway to be limited to 50mph rather than 70mph is due to the distance between junctions.

Something in the back on my mind is saying if there's less than 1 mile between junctions then it's advised (or maybe required) to reduce the speed limit to 50mph to improve safety.

I could Google that fact and see if it's true, but I can't really be bothered.
(17 Jun 2024, 9:56 pm)Unber43 wrote I just wondered if anyone knows why the A690 and the A1 is both 50MPH in some stretch and not 70MPH?

The dual/triple A1 is only 50mph in the roadworks section and the built up Western Bypass section. 

Beyond that, I am pretty sure it is 70mph between the Bowes Incline and way down to a small section between Elksley (excluding roadworks). North of Morpeth, the limit varies.

The A690 has been renowned for a number of accidents and was a mix of 70mph and 50mph between the A19 and A1 (M) until relatively recently. 
The small stretch at the bottom of Houghton Cut has (or had) two conflicting speed limits. The road signs had a different limit to the markings on the road.
The 50mph limits were extended throughout the stretch and both Durham and Northumbria's finest like to park their speed camera vans up.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
A1 has been 50mph from Washington to Blaydon since they made it three narrow lanes years ago, not just a result of current roadworks. From Blaydon north to Great Park (or the junction after, can't remember) it's 60mph, again following the improvements to three narrow lanes. All used to be 70mph before the improvements of course.

Interesting on the Coast Road tonight noticed its 30mph and 50mph simultaneously along quite a distance of it - not sure if they've removed roadworks and left the temp signs or are just about to start and have been quick putting the 30 signs out, but either way they havent cancelled the 50s so an abundance of conflicting speed limit signs right next to each other along there atm.
(17 Jun 2024, 9:56 pm)Unber43 wrote I just wondered if anyone knows why the A690 and the A1 is both 50MPH in some stretch and not 70MPH?

Narrow lanes is the reason for the Gateshead Bypass / Newcastle Bypass being 50/60 mph.

The A690, I'd imagine is because of the close junctions but also cross over junctions which are dangerous, especially on a busy dual carriageway.
But lets face it the small majority of people stick to the speed limits. I'm one of them.

It still makes me laugh when I went through the speed camera at Bede College, Sunderland, on my bike at 29mph. Someone overtook me and blamed me for getting flashed by the camera!
(22 Jun 2024, 9:07 am)idiot wrote But lets face it the small majority of people stick to the speed limits. I'm one of them.

It still makes me laugh when I went through the speed camera at Bede College, Sunderland, on my bike at 29mph. Someone overtook me and blamed me for getting flashed by the camera!

I love setting the speed limiter on the car and just sitting there at the speed limit!

I get so much entertainment sitting at exactly 20mph (GPS speed, 22 on the car) going through Whickham and Dunston and just watching other people get annoyed!

It's also really handy because with an EV there's no engine sound to give you an audio reference for speed so it's far too easy speed without realising.
i thought the 50 bit from the metro centre southbound was set at that to try and reduce congestion? Its more the morons who change lanes multiple time that cause it though and when the road was properly open these who used to undertake in the inside lane marked only for low fell and kibby then stick there indicator on at the last minute to get back on a1! Normally BMW or EV drivers i found
We used to have to pull onto the A690 from the high Pittington road quite regularly and it always felt like taking out life into our own hands, both physically getting onto the road and getting up to speed without any sort of run up.
(22 Jun 2024, 1:57 pm)Rob44 wrote i thought the 50 bit from the metro centre southbound was set at that to try and reduce congestion? Its more the morons who change lanes multiple time that cause it though and when the road was properly open these who used to undertake in the inside lane marked only for low fell and kibby then stick there indicator on at the last minute to get back on a1! Normally BMW or EV drivers i found

When you say EV drivers, I assume you mean Tesla drivers? They're the new BMW/Audi driver!
(22 Jun 2024, 10:05 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Our EV moans like anything if you drive like a pillock.

Luckily in the Leaf you can turn all the crap off permanently, I've got all the lane departure stuff disabled, but I left the speed limit warning on because it's far too easy to speed without realising.