You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Durham / Darlington / Stockton - July 21st Changes

Noticed these when trying to look at the comments for the GoNorthEast changes, some large changes including what seems to be meddling with the 22/23/24 again:

X26 (X27)
Darlington - Colburn
Revised Timetable

Durham - Esh Winning
Revised Timetable

Durham - New Brancepeth
Revised Timetable

X66 (X67)
Middlesbrough - Darlington
Revised Timetable

8 (8A)
Darlington - Ferryhill/Spennymoor
Revised Timetable

Arnison Centre - Sherburn Village
Revised Timetable

23 (23)
Hartlepool - Peterlee
Revised Route, Timetable and Terminal Point

Durham - Cockfield
Revised Timetable

Darlington - Faverdale
Revised Timetable

X46
Durham - Stanhope
Revised Timetable

Darlington - Durham
Revised timetable

Darlington - Tow Law
Revised Timetable

5 (5A)
Middlesbrough - Easington/Lingdale
Revised Timetable

56 (56, 56A)
Durham - Bishop Auckland
Revised Timetable

Middlesbrough - Overfields
Revised Timetable

28 (28A, 28B)
Middlesbrough - Guisborough/Stokesley
Revised Route and Timetable

Middlesbrough - Nunthorpe
Revised Timetable

Roseworth - Ingleby Barwick
Revised Timetable

17 (17B, 17A)
Middlesbrough - Ingleby Barwick/Stockton
Revised Timetable

Durham - Sunderland
Revised Timetable

Durham - Hartlepool
Revised Route and Timetable

Skerne Park - Hummersknott
Revised Timetable

Swans Corner - Brambles Farm
Revised Timetable

20D6 (6)
Cockfield - Barnard Castle
Revised Timetable

P1 (P2)
Whitby Park and Ride - Whitby Park and Ride
Revised Timetable

49 (49A)
Durham - Brandon
Revised Timetable

Morpeth - Kingston Park via Newcastle Airport
Revised timetable
RE: Durham / Darlington / Stockton - July 21st Changes
The 23 looks interesting. No longer serving Sunderland?

Wondering if some of the Durham changes will be related to the tinkering in North road, though surely they would appear as variations if that was the case.
Perhaps being optimistic but I'm wondering if the 23 is being curtailed to Peterlee and the 22B being ditched in favour of a half hourly 22 Durham to Sunderland. May also explain GNE's 201 becoming the 201 and 202 with the 202 replacing the 22B on Acre Rigg Road.
(09 Jun 2024, 10:50 pm)BusLoverMum wrote The 23 looks interesting. No longer serving Sunderland?

Wondering if some of the Durham changes will be related to the tinkering in North road, though surely they would appear as variations if that was the case.

(09 Jun 2024, 10:59 pm)peter wrote Perhaps being optimistic but I'm wondering if the 23 is being curtailed to Peterlee and the 22B being ditched in favour of a half hourly 22 Durham to Sunderland. May also explain GNE's 201 becoming the 201 and 202 with the 202 replacing the 22B on Acre Rigg Road.

Certainly a strange one, mind the 22B doesn't seem to exist anymore so maybe that's the answer. Mind be the first time there's no Sunderland to Hartlepool bus, there seemed to be tons of the things not too long ago with GNE doing it aswell.

Who knows though with Durham, could be anything really, assuming some of it will be BSIP funded though, the 56 upto every 30 minutes would seem like an obvious one as the service currently is dreadful and maybe some evening services restored? Other than the 7, 64 and X46, I believe all those services have a gap on a Sunday or evening now.

Curious what the 28B in Middlesbrough is aswell.
(10 Jun 2024, 11:57 am)BusLoverMum wrote The 64 is still finishing just after 9pm, leaving Newton Hall with no service. Restoring that would be appreciated by many.

You will be pleased come 21 July then!
(09 Jun 2024, 10:59 pm)peter wrote Perhaps being optimistic but I'm wondering if the 23 is being curtailed to Peterlee and the 22B being ditched in favour of a half hourly 22 Durham to Sunderland. May also explain GNE's 201 becoming the 201 and 202 with the 202 replacing the 22B on Acre Rigg Road.

County Durham's timetable site suggests the following is the case for Peterlee:

22 Durham - Peterlee - Sunderland (half hourly,  full route)
23 Peterlee - Hartlepool (half hourly)
GNE's 201/202 taking the 22B route via Acre Rigg Road in the daytime.

Unsure on any other changes occurring from that date.
So once again Hartlepool loses out as they will no longer be a direct bus to Dalton Park from here never mind Sunderland a chance maybe for Go North East to give the X6 another try from Hartlepool with no competition.
(20 Jun 2024, 7:45 pm)col87 wrote So once again Hartlepool loses out as they will no longer be a direct bus to Dalton Park from here never mind Sunderland a chance maybe for Go North East to give the X6 another try from Hartlepool with no competition.

Have you contacted your local MP or tried to start a petition.
Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
(20 Jun 2024, 7:54 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote Have you contacted your local MP or tried to start a petition.

Well considering I have only just seen this what do you think the answer is.
(20 Jun 2024, 7:45 pm)col87 wrote So once again Hartlepool loses out as they will no longer be a direct bus to Dalton Park from here never mind Sunderland a chance maybe for Go North East to give the X6 another try from Hartlepool with no competition.

I'm not saying it's right but most people from Hartlepool use the train to Sunderland as it's substantially quicker even with a change and more frequent nowadays.

The opening of Horden no doubt but the final nail in the coffin so the demand just wont be there. There's always people moaning about the capacity problems on a match day, whereas whenever I see the 22/23 in the Sunderland area they're virtually dead.

Much better to try and have a semi frequent service on one corridor where there's no alternative (22) than two infrequent services imo.

I know it's beyond this thread but there really should be a railway station on the North side of Hartlepool (Hart area), the gap from Hartlepool to Horden is a fair distance.
(20 Jun 2024, 8:58 pm)Storx wrote I'm not saying it's right but most people from Hartlepool use the train to Sunderland as it's substantially quicker even with a change and more frequent nowadays.

The opening of Horden no doubt but the final nail in the coffin so the demand just wont be there. There's always people moaning about the capacity problems on a match day, whereas whenever I see the 22/23 in the Sunderland area they're virtually dead.

Much better to try and have a semi frequent service on one corridor where there's no alternative (22) than two infrequent services imo.

I know it's beyond this thread but there really should be a railway station on the North side of Hartlepool (Hart area), the gap from Hartlepool to Horden is a fair distance.

You can’t get a train from Hartlepool to Easington Village or Dalton Park though.  it’s always been used whenever I have been on it as well plus the trains are very unreliable lately
(20 Jun 2024, 9:15 pm)col87 wrote You can’t get a train from Hartlepool to Easington Village or Dalton Park though.  it’s always been used whenever I have been on it as well plus the trains are very unreliable lately

Aye can't argue about that. To be honest it's one of those areas when the franchising comes in they could probably massively improve the area when there's not two operators not duplicating each other.

Like imo the 22/23 should go via Seaham doing the X6 route connecting more places with that scrapped.

So you'd have the 22/23 every 15 minutes express via Seaham to Durham or Hartlepool via Peterlee. Not really doable with 2 operators though.

Hopefully it's an area they look at tbh. The fact the 22/61 run 2 minutes apart and 8 minutes apart in the other direction when they're both hourly in an evening sums everything wrong with public transport currently.
am guessing the 24 is going back to serving Hartlepool Town centre both ways terminating at Asda.
(20 Jun 2024, 8:35 pm)col87 wrote Well considering I have only just seen this what do you think the answer is.

You probably should, although i will say that myself and probably others on here have complained about GCT to nexus and got nowhere.
(20 Jun 2024, 10:01 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote You probably should, although i will say that myself and probably others on here have complained about GCT to nexus and got nowhere.

I will definitely by bringing this up although Arriva have yet to confirm anything although Arriva don’t really confirm things till the last minute anyway.
No surprise thst the 23 Hartlepool
To Sunderland is being curtailed. It’s a shame but I only ever used it as a last resort. Train much faster and there’s now extra services . For me, there should have been an express to Sunderland . 1 hour 30 mins is ridiculously long, when a train journey is 25 mins. Maybe SNE could fill the void?

They may as well scrap the 23. Pointless route if it terminates at Peterlee.
(20 Jun 2024, 11:26 pm)Economic505 wrote No surprise thst the 23 Hartlepool
To Sunderland is being curtailed. It’s a shame but I only ever used it as a last resort. Train much faster and there’s now extra services . For me, there should have been an express to Sunderland . 1 hour 30 mins is ridiculously long, when a train journey is 25 mins. Maybe SNE could fill the void?

They may as well scrap the 23. Pointless route if it terminates at Peterlee.

I am thinking that’s exactly what Arriva are trying to do and it’s only still hanging on due to it interworking with the 24 at the Hartlepool end.
(20 Jun 2024, 9:56 pm)Storx wrote Aye can't argue about that. To be honest it's one of those areas when the franchising comes in they could probably massively improve the area when there's not two operators not duplicating each other.

Like imo the 22/23 should go via Seaham doing the X6 route connecting more places with that scrapped.

So you'd have the 22/23 every 15 minutes express via Seaham to Durham or Hartlepool via Peterlee. Not really doable with 2 operators though.

Hopefully it's an area they look at tbh. The fact the 22/61 run 2 minutes apart and 8 minutes apart in the other direction when they're both hourly in an evening sums everything wrong with public transport currently.

Vast majority of East Durham now is pretty poorly connected with anywhere, me and many others are still bitter at the loss of the X21 last year, what was a 15 minute journey between Newton Aycliffe and Sedgefield now takes in the region of 90 minutes, Sedgefield lost direct buses to Spennymoor and Bishop Auckland again in the dying days of Scarlet Band with West Cornforth losing their direct service to Spennymoor when they closed, tbh could argue the whole of County Durham with the rate things are getting cut to the bone.

There is a Facebook group wishing to bring back the X21, set up by our MP who never appears to be around, especially at the Aycliffe end of the consistency, probs disappear when the useless sod gets the boot in a fortnight.
(21 Jun 2024, 9:06 pm)Jimmi wrote Vast majority of East Durham now is pretty poorly connected with anywhere, me and many others are still bitter at the loss of the X21 last year, what was a 15 minute journey between Newton Aycliffe and Sedgefield now takes in the region of 90 minutes, Sedgefield lost direct buses to Spennymoor and Bishop Auckland again in the dying days of Scarlet Band with West Cornforth losing their direct service to Spennymoor when they closed, tbh could argue the whole of County Durham with the rate things are getting cut to the bone.

There is a Facebook group wishing to bring back the X21, set up by our MP who never appears to be around, especially at the Aycliffe end of the consistency, probs disappear when the useless sod gets the boot in a fortnight.

The X21 was the Sunderland to Darlington via Peterlee express, correct. 
Also reading your post has reminded of an old suggestion i did for an A689 express service.
(20 Jun 2024, 9:56 pm)& 61 in the evening both asStorx wrote Aye can't argue about that. To be honest it's one of those areas when the franchising comes in they could probably massively improve the area when there's not two operators not duplicating each other.

Aren’t the 22 & 61 evening services both secured by Durham County Council who set the timetable?
(09 Jun 2024, 11:03 pm)Storx wrote Curious what the 28B in Middlesbrough is aswell.

The 28B is simply a variation to the current first 28A from Middlesbrough to Stokesley designed ready for the start of the 2024/2025 Academic Year at Nunthorpe Academy, where the starting time is changing. As such, the current 0720 to Stokesley will be retimed to depart the Bus Station at 0715 and operated via the 28 route to Swans Corner (via Mallowdale instead of Eagle Park - Eagle Park's first southbound bus therefore becomes the 0830 from Middlesbrough) before picking up the pre-July 2023 route  via the Nunthorpe Bypass to Nunthorpe Village and resuming the normal route to Stokesley.

Most of the other Teesside area changes are timing tweaks to improve time keeping at peak times and on some early evening trips.
(25 Jun 2024, 11:16 am)Kuyoyo wrote The 28B is simply a variation to the current first 28A from Middlesbrough to Stokesley designed ready for the start of the 2024/2025 Academic Year at Nunthorpe Academy, where the starting time is changing. As such, the current 0720 to Stokesley will be retimed to depart the Bus Station at 0715 and operated via the 28 route to Swans Corner (via Mallowdale instead of Eagle Park - Eagle Park's first southbound bus therefore becomes the 0830 from Middlesbrough) before picking up the pre-July 2023 route  via the Nunthorpe Bypass to Nunthorpe Village and resuming the normal route to Stokesley.

Most of the other Teesside area changes are timing tweaks to improve time keeping at peak times and on some early evening trips.

Thanks for confirming that, had a feeling when they haven't announced anything and there's been no moaning it was more minor changes.
Looks like there’s a new timetable for service 58 and X22 on Arriva site  for 21st July , but I’m sure these 2 services were not in the list of changes happening at the end of July?, unless it’s just minor change

(25 Jun 2024, 5:52 pm)cbma06 wrote Looks like there’s a new timetable for service 58 and X22 on Arriva site  for 21st July , but I’m sure these 2 services were not in the list of changes happening at the end of July?, unless it’s just minor change

Just had a look at that X22 timetable as curious if anything is changing in relationship to the X12 consultation the other week and the timetables are identical.
More than likely if the timetable itself hasn't changed, it will be the background vehicle working data that has from that date (which makes sense if lots of the board workings are revised, the workings likely are too).

A new version will be uploaded to make sure the cross prediction rules in the app work, but the website will still generate a 'new' timetable as it's not clever enough to realise the passenger facing elements are identical.