You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva Purchased by I Squared

Arriva Purchased by I Squared

RE: Arriva Purchased by I Squared
Looks like Arriva are going through the new driver route with some agency staff in short term reading this quote on a BBC report.

"Like all bus operators, we have suffered a well-documented shortage of drivers post-pandemic, however we are pleased to say that as of last week, we’ve a further 38 new recruits in the pipeline, plus 10 agency staff supporting the current shortfall until these new recruits have passed their tests."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/clww81g52g1o
(07 Jul 2024, 1:46 pm)Driver9*** wrote Currently taking on agency drivers for Ashington depot at £19/hr and free accomodation if anyone is interested.....

I believe there are some currently working for Blyth too.
It's been reported on other forums that Arriva Merseyside are due 58x B8 Evora's, and Luton are due 18 (with their current batch headed to Merseyside).

I seem to remember a post after the takeover was confirmed that indicated the North East was also due some vehicles this year as part of that order, so I wonder if we can expect B8s as well? I've had a look through this thread and I can't find anything now mind.
I find it strange 5 streetdecks from London are going to Liverpool just to be used on rail replacement work, why can't they be converted to single door and send them to regions where tArriva are short of doubles? Just seems a bit of a waste for them to be solely used on RR.
(13 Jul 2024, 10:28 am)PH - BQA wrote It's been reported on other forums that Arriva Merseyside are due 58x B8 Evora's, and Luton are due 18 (with their current batch headed to Merseyside).

I seem to remember a post after the takeover was confirmed that indicated the North East was also due some vehicles this year as part of that order, so I wonder if we can expect B8s as well? I've had a look through this thread and I can't find anything now mind.

Don't think it ever was, was it? I always read it as we might get some displacements if I remember reading it right. Shameless bump as I'm curious either way. I personally wouldn't be surprised to see some of the Merseyside buses end up at Redcar to see off the Temsa's, they sound like they're coming difficult to maintain. I know it's been announced on another forum that the Omnicity's at Derby are on borrowed time, no doubt for similar reasons.

Mind I wouldn't be surprised to see the last 3 or 4 59 Plate Solos (2859 has been VOR for months) at Ashington go, they really are the definition of falling apart and I believe the same poster your mentioning has said there's 'newer' replacements in the past. I'm still very curious where SLS26 - 30 in London are going as they tick all the boxes and there's not many areas with Streetlite's especially since Ashington already has some.

(15 Jul 2024, 1:06 pm)davao123 wrote I find it strange 5 streetdecks from London are going to Liverpool just to be used on rail replacement work, why can't they be converted to single door and send them to regions where tArriva are short of doubles? Just seems a bit of a waste for them to be solely used on RR.

There's 10 Streetdeck's btw, they've been sitting around at the back of a depot in London for over a year because they hate them down there. Good to see they're actually using some, eventually. (SW1 - SW10 are their fleet numbers).
(18 Jul 2024, 8:27 pm)Storx wrote Don't think it ever was, was it? I always read it as we might get some displacements if I remember reading it right. Shameless bump as I'm curious either way. I personally wouldn't be surprised to see some of the Merseyside buses end up at Redcar to see off the Temsa's, they sound like they're coming difficult to maintain. I know it's been announced on another forum that the Omnicity's at Derby are on borrowed time, no doubt for similar reasons.

Mind I wouldn't be surprised to see the last 3 or 4 59 Plate Solos (2859 has been VOR for months) at Ashington go, they really are the definition of falling apart and I believe the same poster your mentioning has said there's 'newer' replacements in the past. I'm still very curious where SLS26 - 30 in London are going as they tick all the boxes and there's not many areas with Streetlite's especially since Ashington already has some.

There's 10 Streetdeck's btw, they've been sitting around at the back of a depot in London for over a year because they hate them down there. Good to see they're actually using some, eventually. (SW1 - SW10 are their fleet numbers).

When is the fleet of Temsa Avenues going to be withdrawn? I was hoping to see them before they go. Last remaining interesting thing in the Arriva fleet which is all Pulsars and StreetLites, apart from the NL Connection Solos and the last remaining Solos which are likely due to be withdrawn.

Hopefully the 43/44/45/47 buses arrive soon. Electroliners? Might be next year for them coming.
(18 Jul 2024, 8:35 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote When is the fleet of Temsa Avenues going to be withdrawn? I was hoping to see them before they go. Last remaining interesting thing in the Arriva fleet which is all Pulsars and StreetLites, apart from the NL Connection Solos and the last remaining Solos which are likely due to be withdrawn.

Hopefully the 43/44/45/47 buses arrive soon. Electroliners? Might be next year for them coming.

Nothing announced for the Temsa's but from posts on here it sounds like they're becoming hard to get parts for them since they're rare. Believe one is already a christmas tree (being took apart to keep the others going).

Dunno for the others though either, Arriva have gone on a massive Volvo haul the past couple weeks, I know it's just been announced that there's BZL's going to London for their electics, so maybe them either?
(18 Jul 2024, 8:51 pm)Storx wrote Nothing announced for the Temsa's but from posts on here it sounds like they're becoming hard to get parts for them since they're rare. Believe one is already a christmas tree (being took apart to keep the others going).

Dunno for the others though either, Arriva have gone on a massive Volvo haul the past couple weeks, I know it's just been announced that there's BZL's going to London for their electics, so maybe them either?

Hopefully I get to see a few of them. Maybe you could take me?!

From a quick search, Volvo BZLs look incredibly ugly!
Arriva NE certainly seems to have got their monies worth out of the Temsa Avenues, despite them being a commercial flop in the UK, and with their dubious quality. Their investment in Volvo based busses elsewhere looks like a good sign.
(18 Jul 2024, 9:13 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Hopefully I get to see a few of them. Maybe you could take me?!

From a quick search, Volvo BZLs look incredibly ugly!

Ha if I could get down the Redcar, I don't drive Tongue Never been on one to be honest, but passing by them in the past they aren't half noisy.

The BZL's are ugly mind, look like a robot that's gone wrong. Prefer them to Electroliners though, can't stand most Wright vehicles lately - they're just a bit crap even known I haven't seen any electroliners yet.

(18 Jul 2024, 9:29 pm)solsburian wrote Arriva NE certainly seems to have got their monies worth out of the Temsa Avenues, despite them being a commercial flop in the UK, and with their dubious quality. Their investment in Volvo based busses elsewhere looks like a good sign.

Yeah agreed tbh.

Btw someone might confirm this but something in the back my mind says at one point they were very nearly close in moving to Jesmond but the depot at the time outright refused them. Was this true or am I getting confused with something else?
(18 Jul 2024, 10:11 pm)Storx wrote Ha if I could get down the Redcar, I don't drive Tongue Never been on one to be honest, but passing by them in the past they aren't half noisy.

The BZL's are ugly mind, look like a robot that's gone wrong. Prefer them to Electroliners though, can't stand most Wright vehicles lately - they're just a bit crap even known I haven't seen any electroliners yet.

Yeah agreed tbh.

Btw someone might confirm this but something in the back my mind says at one point they were very nearly close in moving to Jesmond but the depot at the time outright refused them. Was this true or am I getting confused with something else?

Ah, I thought you did! You could still go with me though. Where do you live again? 

BZLs definitely look ugly, but I would say they are better than Electroliners. Does BZL stand for anything?

I believe Jesmond did refuse the fleet of Temsa Avenues, yes.
(18 Jul 2024, 10:11 pm)Storx wrote Ha if I could get down the Redcar, I don't drive Tongue Never been on one to be honest, but passing by them in the past they aren't half noisy.

Think they tried to palm them off to most of the NE depots, believe Darlington was one but naturally didn't want them either. Probs best to keep them at Redcar really, to avoid having loads of micro fleets of them across the region.
I am sure the Temsas were build as being cheap and lightweight with good fuel economy. I'm sure it was said that it actually turned out that a VDL SB200 yielded a similar fuel economy, that spare parts for the Temsas were eye wateringly expensive, even when new and last but not least, the initial fire issues.
(21 Jul 2024, 7:06 pm)davao123 wrote Rumours going around at the moment Yorkshire are due 14 E400MMCs this year for the 110 as well. Be interesting to see what happens
Don't know if Arriva Yorkshire already have use for these lined up......but would be perfect for some of Blyth's work if surplus.

Doubt Northumbria / Durham County will get anything decent now with the uncertainty about franchising / municipal operations
(22 Jul 2024, 11:59 am)L469 YVK wrote Doubt Northumbria / Durham County will get anything decent now with the uncertainty about franchising / municipal operations

Yorkshire and Merseyside are both heavily rumoured/confirmed to be receiving new vehicles this year, and are both also likely moving to franchising, so why would it mean the NE won't get any?
(22 Jul 2024, 11:59 am)L469 YVK wrote Don't know if Arriva Yorkshire already have use for these lined up......but would be perfect for some of Blyth's work if surplus.

Doubt Northumbria / Durham County will get anything decent now with the uncertainty about franchising / municipal operations

The streetdecks on the 110 currently, are planned to go to Castleford, replacing the 58 plate e400s there.