You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(14 Feb 2014, 11:25 pm)speedwheels22 wrote There's loads of odd working toonlink on 96 ten bus on 97 blayon racer on 27, anyways what's happend with the ,5, south tyne cadgets haven't seen many in the past 3 days

Maybe its because you haven't been out and about to see them or you have been to places that the 5 doesn't serve, they don't go anywhere you know.
Site Administrator
Following on from last night's discussion, 4912/13 are both on 9s today:

4912 - 1047 from North Shields
4913 - 1017 from North Shields
(15 Feb 2014, 10:21 am)Dan wrote Following on from last night's discussion, 4912/13 are both on 9s today:

4912 - 1047 from North Shields
4913 - 1017 from North Shields

I think 5165 is on the 17 today along with 5249...
Site Administrator
(15 Feb 2014, 10:23 am)Tom wrote I think 5165 is on the 17 today along with 5249...

I've certainly not seen it on 9s today so far.
(15 Feb 2014, 10:25 am)Dan wrote I've certainly not seen it on 9s today so far.

No doubt there will be a huge array of Lolynes on the 17 today too... already saw a couple this morning. Wonder where the Centurions are today then... Undecided
(14 Feb 2014, 9:31 pm)Dan wrote In some cases, but certainly not all.

The same sort of thing can be applied to Arriva or Stagecoach...

It is snowing, and Betty is waiting for the bus. It is dark, and the destination displays on vehicles are frosted up and illegible.

Betty usually gets a small bus home - something like a Solo. She has become accustomed to this vehicle type. A bus approaches, but it is a double decker rather than a small bus. Betty assumes it's a different bus service and lets it go straight past her.

Betty now has to wait for the next bus to appear.

Trent Barton are the company that have proven that branding does work! Look at their business model and you can see that their brands keep going from strength to strength. However, Go North East is a larger company and so it is harder for them to achieve the same level.

Trent Barton rely so heavily on their brands they don't even use service numbers on the vast majority of routes, but they seem to have a lot more spare vehicles readily available than Go North East. Personally, I think the biggest problem that GNE face with their branding is their maintenance, which leads to mass amounts of vehicles being off the road at one time.
Site Administrator
(15 Feb 2014, 11:53 am)palatine3833 wrote Trent Barton are the company that have proven that branding does work! Look at their business model and you can see that their brands keep going from strength to strength. However, Go North East is a larger company and so it is harder for them to achieve the same level.

Trent Barton rely so heavily on their brands they don't even use service numbers on the vast majority of routes, but they seem to have a lot more spare vehicles readily available than Go North East. Personally, I think the biggest problem that GNE face with their branding is their maintenance, which leads to mass amounts of vehicles being off the road at one time.

From what I've been told from folk who live down that way - if a branded bus/spare is not available, the service simply does not operate... I assume if this is so, they have a large number of spares for each service.

A huge debate could arise from this - whether it's better or worse than what GNE do...
I've seen a few red spares on services in the nottingham area when i worked on national express, they have sign in the window with which service its operating,tb had roller blinds, so to that end gne spares with the led displays is better in my opinion. Didn't however see any branded buses on other routes.
(15 Feb 2014, 11:53 am)palatine3833 wrote Trent Barton are the company that have proven that branding does work! Look at their business model and you can see that their brands keep going from strength to strength. However, Go North East is a larger company and so it is harder for them to achieve the same level.

There is an interesting link to an article I put in the branding section, about how Trent Barton operate from an employees perspective.

Having spent quite a lot of time working down there, the network is impressive, but is structured totally differently to anything we have up here - geography probably plays a part in it too.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
No idea if they are all the same, but I was on a 56 earlier and used the sockets for the first time.
I could generate more power by sticking an hydro power plant on my toilet, than was being 'pumped' out by the Gemini.

I had no more battery power on the phone getting off, than I did getting on.

Are they all as bad?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Was on 5 today from boldon asda to shields stopped 3 times 3rd time it stopped in middle of chi roundabout then started up again stopped for passenger and went off yet again . driver got out and said the bus is not healthy I'm not using the 5 if there is a cadget on these buses need scrapped asap I'll only get on 5 if there was a diffrent bus
(15 Feb 2014, 6:05 pm)speedwheels22 wrote Was on 5 today from boldon asda to shields stopped 3 times 3rd time it stopped in middle of chi roundabout then started up again stopped for passenger and went off yet again . driver got out and said the bus is not healthy I'm not using the 5 if there is a cadget on these buses need scrapped asap I'll only get on 5 if there was a diffrent bus

What has the 5 ever done to you other than keep breaking down? It seems like that all you're interested in is having a go at the buses on the 5 because they are unreliable. No matter how much you complain here nothing will get done, GNE Management is who you need to be saying all this stuff to. And plus, the cadets still have another year in there as the ones on the 5 are into their 11th year of their 12 year average service life as they entered service in 2003. Really the B10s should be mainly focused on as they are into their 15th year of the average 15. Although some of these could go into the Driver Training fleet to replace some of the coaches.
Site Administrator
(15 Feb 2014, 6:25 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote What has the 5 ever done to you other than keep breaking down? It seems like that all you're interested in is having a go at the buses on the 5 because they are unreliable. No matter how much you complain here nothing will get done, GNE Management is who you need to be saying all this stuff to. And plus, the cadets still have another year in there as the ones on the 5 are into their 11th year of their 12 year average service life as they entered service in 2003.

Go North East management follow this forum. They will see his continuous complaints, and will take it into account. Despite this, the first two or three complaints would have done - there isn't a great need to continue rambling on about the same old thing each and every day.

In fact, Go North East know that there are issues with the "South Tyne" branded Cadets - particularly those which are based at Saltmeadows. It is for this reason why they are to be withdrawn early this year, rather than next, all being well. We have speculated as to which buses may replace them in the 2014 Order Predictions thread - one suggestion being the Volvo B7RLE vehicles currently at Riverside which are branded "Toon Link".
(15 Feb 2014, 6:28 pm)Dan wrote Go North East management follow this forum. They will see his continuous complaints, and will take it into account. Despite this, the first two or three complaints would have done - there isn't a great need to continue rambling on about the same old thing each and every day.

In fact, Go North East know that there are issues with the "South Tyne" branded Cadets - particularly those which are based at Saltmeadows. It is for this reason why they are to be withdrawn early this year, rather than next, all being well. We have speculated as to which buses may replace them in the 2014 Order Predictions thread - one suggestion being the Volvo B7RLE vehicles currently at Riverside which are branded "Toon Link".

Does the 5 even need buses the size of those B7s or even a cadet or could a MPD manage the haul it gets? I would say it is a minor route so wouldn't need that many seats. But if GNE know that there are problems with those 5 cadets (the number of them not the service Tongue), why cant they have a extra close look at them and then see what can be done to get them fixed, rather than just leaving them. Of course they are going through a busy period with repainting buses etc. but surely maintaining the welfare of buses is more important.
Site Administrator
(15 Feb 2014, 6:38 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote Does the 5 even need buses the size of those B7s or even a cadet or could a MPD manage the haul it gets? I would say it is a minor route so wouldn't need that many seats. But if GNE know that there are problems with those 5 cadets (the number of them not the service Tongue), why cant they have a extra close look at them and then see what can be done to get them fixed, rather than just leaving them. Of course they are going through a busy period with repainting buses etc. but surely maintaining the welfare of buses is more important.

tyresmoke said last night - there are a number of problems with Cadets universally, not just with Go North East.

He gave the example of Arriva's Cadets having the same problems they have now since new.

Won't be a maintenance issue, just a flaw with that vehicle type - the ones allocated to the South Tyne 5 show these problems the most because they are the eldest in the fleet.
(15 Feb 2014, 6:48 pm)Dan wrote tyresmoke said last night - there are a number of problems with Cadets universally, not just with Go North East.

He gave the example of Arriva's Cadets having the same problems they have now since new.

Won't be a maintenance issue, just a flaw with that vehicle type - the ones allocated to the South Tyne 5 show these problems the most because they are the eldest in the fleet.

Actually, are DAF products even that reliable? How many problems did the SB220s and the Spectras have? At least try a VDL or Volvo version of the cadet on the 5 and see if they are suitable, not like there is much of a trial needed as they are the same length and have the same seats.
(15 Feb 2014, 7:02 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote Actually, are DAF products even that reliable? How many problems did the SB220s and the Spectras have? At least try a VDL or Volvo version of the cadet on the 5 and see if they are suitable, not like there is much of a trial needed as they are the same length and have the same seats.

The DB250 was and still is a good engine. They are brilliant for long range and endurance services. Very reliable too.
(15 Feb 2014, 7:19 pm)speedwheels22 wrote What has the 5 done for me made me late for appoinments made me later for other things

Well how many times have you said you aren't going to use the 5 again and used it and had a little rant about the service the next day? You just seem to be going round in loops and if there are other services you can get then use them rather than using the 5 and complaining about it! Its really that simple!
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(15 Feb 2014, 7:19 pm)speedwheels22 wrote What has the 5 done for me made me late for appoinments made me later for other things

Unfortunately if you're all too aware of their reliability, then you make yourself late. I wouldnt be relying on a service as unreliable as you describe.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

I'm not sure where you're using the 5 but it's rarely that late, certainly around Fellgate it usually arrives before the X20 heading to South Shields which is due five minutes before.

In terms of whether or not the 5 needs Cadets or smaller buses then on an afternoon when Boldon Comprehensive finishes that run is always packed with people standing so certainly that one does.
(15 Feb 2014, 7:41 pm)speedwheels22 wrote I'm always early for my buses there 5 mins before it turns up then when its due its 10 mins late then 20 mins late better of walking to were I need to be than get this bus service

You don't understand what aureolin is saying. If you know how unreliable the service is, then don't use it and you wont be late not about how early you get to the bus stop, although the negative image that you're giving the service, not every journey is unreliable so it would help if you eased off the speed and put on the brakes to stop criticising the service so much that it might aswell not be a service or get the 50.
The issue is, complaining that the whole thing is rubbish and the Cadets should be scrapped (or "blown up") won't mean that Go North East will then invest in brand new Versas or Streetlites - you could end up with something worse!
(15 Feb 2014, 8:05 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote You don't understand what aureolin is saying. If you know how unreliable the service is, then don't use it and you wont be late not about how early you get to the bus stop, although the negative image that you're giving the service, not every journey is unreliable so it would help if you eased off the speed and put on the brakes to stop criticising the service so much that it might aswell not be a service or get the 50.

When it was the 57A their was reliability problems with it going to Heworth, but since it changed to the 5 and went to Jarrow things have dramatically improved to the point that other than at peak times its never that late.
I've found the ex South Tyne cadets on the M2/M3 have actually been a breath of fresh air. Looking a bit shabby inside now, but certainly a massive improvement on the MPDs.
(15 Feb 2014, 8:13 pm)aureolin wrote I've found the ex South Tyne cadets on the M2/M3 have actually been a breath of fresh air. Looking a bit shabby inside now, but certainly a massive improvement on the MPDs.

You mean to say you weren't a fan of being launched in to the air when driving over a speed bump? Tongue
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(15 Feb 2014, 8:14 pm)BJ10VUS wrote You mean to say you weren't a fan of being launched in to the air when driving over a speed bump? Tongue

Big Grin something like that!