You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Rioting across the UK - Aug 2024

Mod Edit: Split topic from Disruption and driver shortages thread. Relates to on-going rioting across the UK and mainly across 2nd/3rd/4th August. 

See articles:
You can report incidents at: https://www.police.uk/pu/contact-us/

️Sunderland Buses

Due to the ongoing protests in Sunderland we have made the difficult decision to terminate ALL services short of Sunderland.

Service 56/35A/9/24 will terminate at Wheatsheaf.

Service 2/2A/39/39A will terminate at the Hospital.

Service 78 will terminate at the Hospital.

Service 8 will terminate at B&Q

We apologise for any inconvenience caused to customers.

Stay safe everyone!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
RE: Disruptions and driver shortages
(02 Aug 2024, 11:50 pm)F114TML wrote That was an interesting night.

Hope you and your colleagues were ok tonight. I seen a couple nasty things happening on some Stagecoach buses, fortunately I don't think any of my GNE colleagues have been affected (I haven't seen anything at least). I hope my regular passengers were able to get to and from work tonight too, I feel awful for them.
(03 Aug 2024, 12:28 am)deanmachine wrote Hope you and your colleagues were ok tonight. I seen a couple nasty things happening on some Stagecoach buses, fortunately I don't think any of my GNE colleagues have been affected (I haven't seen anything at least). I hope my regular passengers were able to get to and from work tonight too, I feel awful for them.

Only know of one bus getting smashed but not heard of any other incidents.

Despite driving straight through the protest as it came down Hylton Road and not getting the message buses were not going into the town until way later, I got through the night without incident (well aside from the usual Friday night drunkenness).
(03 Aug 2024, 12:43 am)F114TML wrote Only know of one bus getting smashed but not heard of any other incidents.

Despite driving straight through the protest as it came down Hylton Road and not getting the message buses were not going into the town until way later, I got through the night without incident (well aside from the usual Friday night drunkenness).

Was it 28026 by any chance?

https://x.com/StanCollymore/status/18194...Jpa2a2U3Zg&s=19

Scum, glad the drivers was ok
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(03 Aug 2024, 10:13 am)F114TML wrote Must be that one. Didn't know the bus number just who the driver was.

Hope the driver is ok.

Scum, apparently they have one planned for Sunderland again, and then Newcastle soon.........
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Oh good I look forward to it.

Didn't see the driver when I got back (I was quite late though).

Rather disorienting taking a 3 down Tatham Street I must say. Feel bad for drivers on the likes of the 4, 13 and 23 where you get absolutely no sitting time and very little slack in the running time. That diversion was an absolute killer.
(03 Aug 2024, 11:59 am)idiot wrote What was the diversion?

[Image: Screenshot_20240803_120313_Samsung_Inter...efdd144de&]

Apparently the next one in Sunderland is tonight. Whether it is or not there's defo more police out.
(03 Aug 2024, 4:44 pm)Jimmi wrote Newcastle, Grays Monument is on the list to be hit next Saturday (August 10th).

On the day of a friendly, apparently. Hopefully there will be a plan in place by then and not just the planned counter protests. 

I saw a video of the thugs outnumbered in Liverpool, last night and kettled out of the city with the Benny Hill theme playing.
I’d guess they might employ an exclusion zone. There’s about 35k sold for the friendly so far.

I’d imagine a call will have to be made by GNE and Stagecoach soon about sending anything along Blackett St (GNE currently using Blackett st due to Eldon Sq exit closure)
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(04 Aug 2024, 1:03 pm)F114TML wrote Sc's body count on Friday - four buses had windows smashed, of which two had the emergency break-glass hammer stolen.

Ffs, idiots.

Think the companies were lucky, it wasn't worse.

How's the driver from the 10 doing?, hope they're ok?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(04 Aug 2024, 1:09 pm)Michael wrote Ffs, idiots.

Think the companies were lucky, it wasn't worse.

How's the driver from the 10 doing?, hope they're ok?

Haven't spoken to him but he was his usual happy self on the 16 last night.

Another driver (of asian descent) went home early last night, obviously not wanting to risk it.
(04 Aug 2024, 2:02 pm)F114TML wrote Haven't spoken to him but he was his usual happy self on the 16 last night.

Another driver (of asian descent) went home early last night, obviously not wanting to risk it.

Least he seems to be happy, that's good to hear.

Shame the other driver decided to go home but doesn't surprise me... countries in a mess atm.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(04 Aug 2024, 2:17 pm)BusLoverMum wrote No indication of any pause of services into Middlesbrough, at the moment, even though it's getting lairy.

Appears everything is avoiding the centre though and running straight into the bus station now though.

https://bustimes.org/services/63-middles.../613856033
https://bustimes.org/services/17-middles.../613869551

For example.
(04 Aug 2024, 6:44 pm)nova347 wrote https://x.com/EuropeInvasionn/status/181...4162683905
Thugs running off a bus to attack a Muslim man before returning back to the bus. The comments are appalling. Poor Driver.

I've seen that video with about 10 different messages, I don't know the story here but there's a full grown bloke (who's Asian) attacking kids. I'm not sure it's racially motivated though, there's no racism in the video.
(04 Aug 2024, 6:44 pm)nova347 wrote https://x.com/EuropeInvasionn/status/181...4162683905
Thugs running off a bus to attack a Muslim man before returning back to the bus. The comments are appalling. Poor Driver.

You're sharing a feed of an organisation that is producing false (and unverified) claims in order to stoke up hate. The tweet you've shared is a quote tweet from a known fascist...

(04 Aug 2024, 6:50 pm)Storx wrote I've seen that video with about 10 different messages, I don't know the story here but there's a full grown bloke (who's Asian) attacking kids. I'm not sure it's racially motivated though, there's no racism in the video.

You shouldn't need to know the story, to know it's completely unacceptable for a gang of feral kids to go about attacking and stamping on someone's head, whilst they're on the ground.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(04 Aug 2024, 11:26 pm)Adrian wrote You shouldn't need to know the story, to know it's completely unacceptable for a gang of feral kids to go about attacking and stamping on someone's head, whilst they're on the ground.

It's not acceptable for a full grown bloke to be kicking and punching kids either though. From what I see the kids come into it, after the fight has started. Self defence isn't feral. I know there's been trouble all over the country, but we can't go down the rabbit hole where every time someone is saying something to someone non-white, they're instantly facists/part of the EDL.
(05 Aug 2024, 7:34 am)Storx wrote It's not acceptable for a full grown bloke to be kicking and punching kids either though. From what I see the kids come into it, after the fight has started. Self defence isn't feral. I know there's been trouble all over the country, but we can't go down the rabbit hole where every time someone is saying something to someone non-white, they're instantly facists/part of the EDL.

Self-defense is an appropriate (and reasonable) use of force, in order to defend yourself or others. 

10+ punching and kicking (including in the head) is never going to be self-defense, not by any stretch of the imagination.

Nobody is suggesting we're going down that route, but what you describe as trouble, has been widespread racially motivated and Islamophobic violence. 

On this particular incident, you've suggested it being racially motivated twice now. I'm not privvy to the context, so I'll call out what I can see, not what I can't or don't know.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook