You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East State Of The Fleet

Go North East State Of The Fleet

RE: Go North East State Of The Fleet
(07 Aug 2024, 6:55 pm)L469 YVK wrote Technically, they'd be the same as now in terms of split fleets, given 6352-55 being at Riverside. They always have been (Consett/Hexham) or had plans (Consett / Washington pre-covid) to be split . If the X20 rightfully got a downgrade from XLines and ran using other Misc deckers, would be:

Consett:
- 6x E400MMC (incl 2x spare)
- 8x StreetDeck**
- 7x B5TL**

**PVR of 13x with 2x spare

Riverside:
- 1x StreetDeck (6 cylinder)*
- 14x E400MMC*

* PVR of 12x with 3x spare, or no spares if X9 re-instated, full Enviro allocation on X9/X10 with VOR's being covered by Misc spare allocated on X21

As for the StreetDeck cascade idea....I don't think it's a bad shout. However.......

- The 602 (and maybe a bit Blyth engineering) killed off Arriva Northumbria 7430-35 to the extent that Jesmond never sent them out on evenings & Sundays. How would StreetDecks handle the 10/10A/10B if the voith geared Tridents which were of far inferior quality to the modern E400/E400MMC, couldn't handle the 602?

- Volvo B9TL's have always been overkill on the 307 (310/311) & 309 to the extent that GNE tried to retrofit GKN mods. Would it not be better sending Angel StreetDecks to Percy Main and bar the misc workings fleet, have a standardised main fleet of StreetLites & StreetDecks? Then the less leggy Volvo B9TL's currently on the Cobalts, could go on the 10/10A/10B/12 and then cascade down from there as mentioned?

To be fair the 10 probably wouldn't be much harder than the 21 they're quite similar really, bar the 2 runs to Hexham and hour they just potter around tootling through Ryton etc. 

Similar to the 21 in a way, with the extensions to Durham. 

Mind that said if they were problematic you could just skip the 10 and displace them straight to the 51/52/57/93/94 and keep the B9's on the 10. They're pretty much on there daily anyway. 

They probably warrant something better and it would be an easy life for them.
(07 Aug 2024, 7:12 pm)Storx wrote To be fair the 10 probably wouldn't be much harder than the 21 they're quite similar really, bar the 2 runs to Hexham and hour they just potter around tootling through Ryton etc. 

Similar to the 21 in a way, with the extensions to Durham. 

Mind that said if they were problematic you could just skip the 10 and displace them straight to the 51/52/57/93/94 and keep the B9's on the 10. They're pretty much on there daily anyway. 

They probably warrant something better and it would be an easy life for them.
Maybe, but a Volvo B9TL other than a flat out thrash between Station Road and Benfield Road, effectively floating along the rest of the way to North Shields through High Farm, Battle Hill, Hadrian Park, West Chirton and Meadowell at 20/30 mph is an easy way to burn cash. StreetDecks would be far more appropriate for the 307 & 309. The 309 ain't really a hard route either and is now getting rather congested around the Coast....again stop / start at the stops saving fuel with the StreetDeck.
Given that by the looks of things Stagecoach have got some of their Yutongs arriving in Sunderland how long until GNE get their Electric Angel buses?
(07 Aug 2024, 7:39 pm)L469 YVK wrote Maybe, but a Volvo B9TL other than a flat out thrash between Station Road and Benfield Road, effectively floating along the rest of the way to North Shields through High Farm, Battle Hill, Hadrian Park, West Chirton and Meadowell at 20/30 mph is an easy way to burn cash. StreetDecks would be far more appropriate for the 307 & 309. The 309 ain't really a hard route either and is now getting rather congested around the Coast....again stop / start at the stops saving fuel with the StreetDeck.

Aye, but I'd argue a B9TL in an urban area is even worse. The stop/start tech on Streetdeck's will help massively on stuff like the 51/52 where it's just pottering around streets. They're complete overkill for the routes as the whole route is literally 20/30mph. If we're going for economics anyway. The ex London stock shouldn't really be in frontline service either so would be a big upgrade in comparison to the Cobalt B9's to a Streetdeck which is an arguably downgrade for passengers.
(07 Aug 2024, 6:06 pm)Dan wrote Different situation to the Angels on the 21.

The 327 driver covers meal breaks for the Toon Tour drivers, and the Toon Tour drivers take their break on his bus.

It is allocated 6101 so that the drivers have tables for their meal break, and in case of any breakdowns on the Toon Tour service, it is a bus fitted with next stop announcements and of a good quality internally.

Ok the spare thing I can get…but that’s secondary here….are we saying…and breathe 

We’re allocating buses based on drivers having somewhere to eat their sandwich…

And we wonder why this company is literally falling apart
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(07 Aug 2024, 7:59 pm)d9817362 wrote Given that by the looks of things Stagecoach have got some of their Yutongs arriving in Sunderland how long until GNE get their Electric Angel buses?

Did we ever find out what type of electric buses GNE ordered for the 21?
(07 Aug 2024, 9:36 pm)Ambassador wrote Ok the spare thing I can get…but that’s secondary here….are we saying…and breathe 

My thoughts exactly when I read that post!
Site Administrator
(07 Aug 2024, 9:36 pm)Ambassador wrote Ok the spare thing I can get…but that’s secondary here….are we saying…and breathe 

As I recall, the TU at Percy Main insisted upon it, avoiding drivers travelling back to Gateshead from Central for their meal breaks.

Given breakdowns were few and far between (and so even the secondary reason probably wasn’t justified), ops management really ought to have tried to re-negotiate and had the Toon Tour as a voluntary rota with the agreement that meal breaks would be remote and in a bus not fitted with tables (but plenty of places they can go in the city to eat at a table!) - it is an awful waste of a relatively new bus, and even with having other same-specification spares for the 307/309, seems to result in regular allocation of ex-London stock.
(07 Aug 2024, 10:34 pm)Iamtheone8483748 wrote Did we ever find out what type of electric buses GNE ordered for the 21?

I don't think we publicly did but surely they have ordered some buses...
(08 Aug 2024, 9:37 am)d9817362 wrote I don't think we publicly did but surely they have ordered some buses...

Yeah, I'm sure they were ordering Yutong U11DDs for the 21. Not sure about the 58/X66 electrics, can't remember if anything was decided for them yet or not.
(08 Aug 2024, 9:53 am)d9817362 wrote To be fair though they did test a Wright Streetdeck Electric a while back

Tested the Switch/Optare whatever it's called electric vehicle aswell didn't they?
(08 Aug 2024, 10:07 am)Storx wrote Tested the Switch/Optare whatever it's called electric vehicle aswell didn't they?

That's true as well, maybe we will find out in the future what vehicle they are going to choose.
(07 Aug 2024, 9:21 pm)Storx wrote Aye, but I'd argue a B9TL in an urban area is even worse. The stop/start tech on Streetdeck's will help massively on stuff like the 51/52 where it's just pottering around streets. They're complete overkill for the routes as the whole route is literally 20/30mph. If we're going for economics anyway. The ex London stock shouldn't really be in frontline service either so would be a big upgrade in comparison to the Cobalt B9's to a Streetdeck which is an arguably downgrade for passengers.

How many miles does the 51/52/57/93/94 cover in a day compared to the 307 & 309 though?

Also not forgetting that some 307's run on / off the 353 especially on Sundays.....which definitely doesn't justify a heavy duty Volvo B9TL.
(08 Aug 2024, 3:53 pm)L469 YVK wrote How many miles does the 51/52/57/93/94 cover in a day compared to the 307 & 309 though?

Also not forgetting that some 307's run on / off the 353 especially on Sundays.....which definitely doesn't justify a heavy duty Volvo B9TL.

Honestly couldn't answer that one if I had to be honest. 

It's hard to answer though as it depends on what gets the biggest savings. The Streetdecks are pretty much designed for work like the Gateshead routes and sitting around in the traffic the stop/start tech could do wonders rather than a B9 idling away. 

I wouldn't be too surprised if the peak MPG for a B9 is at a higher speed than a Streetdeck though but that's pure speculation tbh.
3963 having a fainting fit in a rather inconvenient place. Lots of honking horns and the passengers that have been kicked off don't look too happy. Destination display flashing on and off.
(14 Aug 2024, 12:15 pm)BusLoverMum wrote 3963 having a fainting fit in a rather inconvenient place. Lots of honking horns and the passengers that have been kicked off don't look too happy. Destination display flashing on and off.

Honestly, those wing mirrors are nowt but problems. 
If they're not falling off, they're messing with the electrics.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(15 Aug 2024, 4:44 pm)Michael wrote Has 8335 been withdrawn?, as its not been out since the 8th August.

A lot of the berries and graphites seem to have disappeared. Which brings the question why bother having these brands. I think there’s literally two graphites working the 39 routes. I’ve never seen so many double decks on the 39. The 2 and 2A is generally now served by ex prince bishop repaints and ex first buses. 

Think it ls time to scrap Sunderland and District
(17 Aug 2024, 6:52 pm)Acky81 wrote A lot of the berries and graphites seem to have disappeared. Which brings the question why bother having these brands. I think there’s literally two graphites working the 39 routes. I’ve never seen so many double decks on the 39. The 2 and 2A is generally now served by ex prince bishop repaints and ex first buses. 

Think it ls time to scrap Sunderland and District

The Berries Versa's have been withdrawn and replaced by the Former First Manchester/Go North West Wright Streetlites as they've entered service, I agree with only Graphite/Silver left Go North East might as well repaint those Solo's into Corporate Livery.
(15 Aug 2024, 4:44 pm)Michael wrote Has 8335 been withdrawn?, as its not been out since the 8th August.
What’s happened to all the graphite and berries buses?
Constant London deckers on the 39 and ex first on the 2 and 2a
(17 Aug 2024, 7:22 pm)Acky81 wrote What’s happened to all the graphite and berries buses?

They're Optare/Switch so a complete pile of s**t.

Serious note, I have a feeling it might be a parts issue as there's problems with whoever has Optare vehicles lately. Arriva at Ashington currently has 2/7 on the road today and even for them that's bad while pretty much everything else is working.

Seems similar issues all over the place having a quick look around. Wonder if it might be engine issues which are blighting the Streetlite's as someone mentioned a few weeks ago, they both use Mercedes engines, if I'm correct.
(17 Aug 2024, 7:36 pm)Storx wrote They're Optare/Switch so a complete pile of s**t.

Serious note, I have a feeling it might be a parts issue as there's problems with whoever has Optare vehicles lately. Arriva at Ashington currently has 2/7 on the road today and even for them that's bad while pretty much everything else is working.

Seems similar issues all over the place having a quick look around. Wonder if it might be engine issues which are blighting the Streetlite's as someone mentioned a few weeks ago, they both use Mercedes engines, if I'm correct.

I'm told that the Ashington Solo issues are a mix of major units failing and an issue sourcing spare parts.
(17 Aug 2024, 7:22 pm)Acky81 wrote What’s happened to all the graphite and berries buses?

It generally happens when the schools are off, the deckers aren't needed for scholars so they end up on the likes of the 39 so work can be done on other vehicles in the fleet.
(17 Aug 2024, 7:56 pm)PH - BQA wrote I'm told that the Ashington Solo issues are a mix of major units failing and an issue sourcing spare parts.

Had a feeling it might have been, be interesting to see if they spend much more on them as it's pretty much at the point you're wasting money on them. 

Mind it's really noticeable that they've got much worse since the 57A extension to Ashington. No doubt the 5 minutes blast on the Spine Road really isn't doing them any favours. That said whoever thought it was good idea to move buses which were getting replaced due to reliability issues pottering around on town services onto an interurban route which has multiple 60/70 mph sections is questionable especially when the same buses had just been replaced from the route for well... reliability issues.
Graphites I’m hearing seem to getting used in peterlee and on the 702. Why can’t they just keep the brand on the correct routes. I’m sure there’s still a few berries on the road
(17 Aug 2024, 9:46 pm)Acky81 wrote Graphites I’m hearing seem to getting used in peterlee and on the 702. Why can’t they just keep the brand on the correct routes. I’m sure there’s still a few berries on the road

Only 8334 - its out today, if anyone needs a picture.

8335 hasn't been used since the 8th August.

I think the PVR dropped for the 39/39A/39B when the extensions to Houghton and Washington we're took away, hence use on other routes. Hopefully the Graphite and Silver brands are withdrawn soon.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Aug 2024, 8:41 pm)Storx wrote Had a feeling it might have been, be interesting to see if they spend much more on them as it's pretty much at the point you're wasting money on them. 

Mind it's really noticeable that they've got much worse since the 57A extension to Ashington. No doubt the 5 minutes blast on the Spine Road really isn't doing them any favours. That said whoever thought it was good idea to move buses which were getting replaced due to reliability issues pottering around on town services onto an interurban route which has multiple 60/70 mph sections is questionable especially when the same buses had just been replaced from the route for well... reliability issues.
It should in theory improve with time though.

The 43/44/45 will eventually go EV, in turn leaving enough deckers to make sure all decker routes at Blyth & Ashington will actually get deckers allocated, releasing more Pulsars.
(Yesterday, 9:26 am)L469 YVK wrote It should in theory improve with time though.

The 43/44/45 will eventually go EV, in turn leaving enough deckers to make sure all decker routes at Blyth & Ashington will actually get deckers allocated, releasing more Pulsars.

I'd imagine they'll want to release the crap like the 57/58 Plate Enviro 400's though which are just as troublesome at Blyth/Ashington or at least get them out of frontline work. 

Won't be too many Pulsars released and there's the problem with the Enviro 300's at Darlington aswell
(Yesterday, 10:18 am)Storx wrote I'd imagine they'll want to release the crap like the 57/58 Plate Enviro 400's though which are just as troublesome at Blyth/Ashington or at least get them out of frontline work. 

Won't be too many Pulsars released and there's the problem with the Enviro 300's at Darlington aswell
Not forgetting that within the next 12-18 months, Arriva will be looking to slim down the network when the ABTRL goes live. 

Whether they butcher it......or with franchising likely happen, work with NECA and BSIP to reduce the impact. But there will be vehicles released as a result.