You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

great north run diversions

great north run diversions
anyone got a link to the diversion GNE will be using during this?  I wan to get from the penthouse over to town fro a few beers but not sure how the 27 will get across from pelaw to heworth metro with road being closed?    Check nexus and GNE web sites to no avail

Oh and im not pay 3.80 on the metro!!
RE: great north run diversions
(07 Sep 2024, 10:09 am)Rob44 wrote anyone got a link to the diversion GNE will be using during this?  I wan to get from the penthouse over to town fro a few beers but not sure how the 27 will get across from pelaw to heworth metro with road being closed?    Check nexus and GNE web sites to no avail

Oh and im not pay 3.80 on the metro!!

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/great-north-run-2024

There is a link on that page showing diversions by route, but normally passengers need to walk under the subway at Heworth on the 27
(07 Sep 2024, 10:59 am)citaro5284 wrote https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/great-north-run-2024

There is a link on that page showing diversions by route, but normally passengers need to walk under the subway at Heworth on the 27

thanks . Yes ive seen that. fancy having to get off go into a dark and dingy subway to get on another bus.... imagine you walk over and the bus to jarrow is just pulling away.  What a setup!
(07 Sep 2024, 11:13 am)Rob44 wrote thanks . Yes ive seen that. fancy having to get off go into a dark and dingy subway to get on another bus.... imagine you walk over and the bus to jarrow is just pulling away.  What a setup!

What's the alternative, stop the race for a couple minutes to let the buses through?

This has happened for as long as I can remember, and I'm pretty sure there's staff at each temporary terminus point to walk passengers from one bus to another.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(07 Sep 2024, 5:26 pm)Adrian wrote What's the alternative, stop the race for a couple minutes to let the buses through?

This has happened for as long as I can remember, and I'm pretty sure there's staff at each temporary terminus point to walk passengers from one bus to another.

Send the bus on an alternative route maybe?  If there is one.
(07 Sep 2024, 7:21 pm)Economic505 wrote People are just going have to live with the disruption tomorrow. I like buses, but I m also running tomorrow. Looking forward to a few beers , after 13.1 miles .

I am also running and people need to get a life if they seriously don't know the Great North Run is tomorrow; it is literally advertised everywhere and has been around 43 years! There has been ample time to make alternative arrangements, plus there are only a couple hours of disruption around lunchtime as opposed to all day. Think of people who HAVE to travel on the metro tomorrow for work etc., who literally can't avoid the chaos...
Looks to have been a fairly positive public transport experience allround from the operators and Nexus in some challenging conditions (particurlarly the foggy Ferry!)

The only mild grumble I saw was some single deck allocations on the 56 as Cityrider deckers helped out on the R1 but I doubt it's busy enough on a Sunday to cause too many headaches

Good work all round!
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(07 Sep 2024, 7:17 pm)Adrian wrote What alternative route would you take?

Am not sure? I've only been a resident there for 12 months and the sat nav always takes me the same way in and out.  Looking at the GNR it looks like the forgotten people of pelaw would have to head to jarrow, go through the tunnel and come back on themselves to get to newcastle??? Or is there a way through the industrial estate alongside the south side of the tyne and across the swing bridge?>
(11 Sep 2024, 1:38 pm)Rob44 wrote Am not sure? I've only been a resident there for 12 months and the sat nav always takes me the same way in and out.  Looking at the GNR it looks like the forgotten people of pelaw would have to head to jarrow, go through the tunnel and come back on themselves to get to newcastle??? Or is there a way through the industrial estate alongside the south side of the tyne and across the swing bridge?>

Dont think there is any other option nut to go through Heworth roundabout 

As awkward as it is, at least the 27 operates albeit in 2 sections.  Us residents of South Tyneside this year had services suspended in our areas until 1900hrs.  Usually they would be reinstated by 1600ish.

They do need to look at service and driver availability in South Tyneside.   Most SNE South Shields drivers end up on shuttle work so hence local services are suspended.

Perhaps the local independants cpuld help out in restoring some sort of service on GNR day somehow via all the diversions.  At least it would be a service
(11 Sep 2024, 1:38 pm)Rob44 wrote Am not sure? I've only been a resident there for 12 months and the sat nav always takes me the same way in and out.  Looking at the GNR it looks like the forgotten people of pelaw would have to head to jarrow, go through the tunnel and come back on themselves to get to newcastle??? Or is there a way through the industrial estate alongside the south side of the tyne and across the swing bridge?>

I'm really struggling to see the issue. If there's people stubborn enough not to want to have a guided bus change at Heworth, then they're probably beyond help, if I was being blunt. 

Alternatively, they can use the Metro from Jarrow or the Pedestrian Tunnel and then bus.

If they've got a car, they've got numerous different routes they could take. A19 to Hylton Interchange, A1231 followed by A1, is likely to be unaffected on the most part.
(11 Sep 2024, 8:12 pm)Adrian wrote I'm really struggling to see the issue. If there's people stubborn enough not to want to have a guided bus change at Heworth, then they're probably beyond help, if I was being blunt. 

Alternatively, they can use the Metro from Jarrow or the Pedestrian Tunnel and then bus.

If they've got a car, they've got numerous different routes they could take. A19 to Hylton Interchange, A1231 followed by A1, is likely to be unaffected on the most part.

The point im making is that you sit in you house watch in the race on tv or maybe even go and watch it to cheer on the runners but untill it actually effects you , you dont think of those effected by it! I would admitt thats me but now i live in that area . And i know its just once a year

As for being blunt i thought you were being sarcastic:?????  Half this forum were up in arms when i suggested buses terminate at gateshead or regent centre!!!  Walking through an underpass heworth that smells of wee then up a quite steep bank at either end! Give me an escalator  and a busy metro gateshead any time!
(12 Sep 2024, 7:42 am)Rob44 wrote The point im making is that you sit in you house watch in the race on tv or maybe even go and watch it to cheer on the runners but untill it actually effects you , you dont think of those effected by it! I would admitt thats me but now i live in that area . And i know its just once a year

As for being blunt i thought you were being sarcastic:?????  Half this forum were up in arms when i suggested buses terminate at gateshead or regent centre!!!  Walking through an underpass heworth that smells of wee then up a quite steep bank at either end! Give me an escalator  and a busy metro gateshead any time!

To be fair, Heworth is probably more the problem really.

The place badly needs redone, especially considering the North side of it is just abandoned nowadays pretty much. The railway station and long stay car park both need connecting to it better imo and the rest of it needs a serious refurbishment.

Heworth is the sort of place where people should be interchanging with buses terminating there.
(12 Sep 2024, 10:08 am)Storx wrote To be fair, Heworth is probably more the problem really.

The place badly needs redone, especially considering the North side of it is just abandoned nowadays pretty much. The railway station and long stay car park both need connecting to it better imo and the rest of it needs a serious refurbishment.

Heworth is the sort of place where people should be interchanging with buses terminating there.

I had no traffic problem at Heworth last Sunday. I was able to run along the Felling Bypass en route to the coast at Shields. Smile
(12 Sep 2024, 10:08 am)Storx wrote
To be fair, Heworth is probably more the problem really.

According to the new Mayor ( from Shields gazette) heworth metro is to be remodelled hopefully in 2027
(12 Sep 2024, 7:42 am)Rob44 wrote The point im making is that you sit in you house watch in the race on tv or maybe even go and watch it to cheer on the runners but untill it actually effects you , you dont think of those effected by it! I would admitt thats me but now i live in that area . And i know its just once a year

I'm not being sarcastic, I just think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

If you'd complained that Jesmond Metro is closed most of the day, then I agree, that does cause disruption for those that need to travel and are not taking part or participating in the event, as it's a 20 minute walk to the nearest station (West Jesmond or Monument), given Haymarket is also exit only. I hate to come across blunt, but the changeover at Heworth is not that; it's barely a 100 yard walk from one bus to another. 

You (and others) have made the point before that all buses should terminate at Gateshead (or another interchange) and that people should transfer onto the Metro into Newcastle. It was pointed out at the time that this never happened as a rule of thumb, and whilst some local buses did terminate at Gateshead, the express services would run into Newcastle. 

I don't think anyone was 'up in arms' about that, it's just not a good suggestion. The central section on the Metro is already at capacity into town in the morning and evening peak, compounded by them not having enough units to run the peak extras anymore.
(16 Sep 2024, 12:05 pm)Adrian wrote I'm not being sarcastic, I just think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

If you'd complained that Jesmond Metro is closed most of the day, then I agree, that does cause disruption for those that need to travel and are not taking part or participating in the event, as it's a 20 minute walk to the nearest station (West Jesmond or Monument), given Haymarket is also exit only. I hate to come across blunt, but the changeover at Heworth is not that; it's barely a 100 yard walk from one bus to another. 

You (and others) have made the point before that all buses should terminate at Gateshead (or another interchange) and that people should transfer onto the Metro into Newcastle. It was pointed out at the time that this never happened as a rule of thumb, and whilst some local buses did terminate at Gateshead, the express services would run into Newcastle. 

I don't think anyone was 'up in arms' about that, it's just not a good suggestion. The central section on the Metro is already at capacity into town in the morning and evening peak, compounded by them not having enough units to run the peak extras anymore.

To put this to rest, lets do a little analysis of buses serving Gateshead and Four Lane Ends Interchanges in 1985. 

Gateshead

Buses Terminating at Interchange

24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 50, 51, 52, 53, 64, 56, 57, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 187, 188, 189, 727, X97, X98 (Total = 25)

Buses Passing Through the Interchange (But not going to/from Newcastle)

58, 59, 648, 649 (Total = 4)

Buses Going to/from Newcastle

231, 301, 605, 612, 700, 704, 705, 707, 721, 722, 723, 724, 725, 726, 728, 729, 730, 735, X1, X4, X5, X11, X20, X23, X30, X40, X41, X94, X95 (Total = 29)

Whilst you could argue the services terminating at Gateshead are of a higher frequency, the amount of routes terminating at Gateshead is around 50/50 taking into account the services passing through the interchange but not terminating and continuing into Newcastle.

I think another point to consider is that Gateshead was more of a shopping destination in 1985, and not just an interchange/somewhere you pass through on the way Newcastle (or Metrocentre - which obviously wasn't around in 1985).  

Four Lane Ends

Buses Terminating at Interchange

346, 347, 357, 913 (Total = 4)

Buses Passing Through the Interchange (But not going to/from Newcastle)

314, 358, 359, (Total = 3)

Buses Going to/from Newcastle

1, 6, 7, 12, 38, 62, 63, 64, 65, 350. 351, 355, 363, 364, 368 (Total = 15)

Given its proximity in comparison to Gateshead and similarities to Heworth in terms of function, you'd expect more services to terminate at Four Lane Ends. Yet, as we can see, most services actually continue to Newcastle, including services one might consider 'local' to the area. For example, Killingworth is nearby, so you'd probably expect most routes serving the area to terminate at Four Lane Ends but, quite simply, they don't. 

So to conclude, to say all services terminated at interchanges so to encourage people to use the Metro to complete their journeys into Newcastle is a myth.