Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5724

Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5724
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014 | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East - Latest
(18 Feb 2014, 11:12 am)Michael wrote I hope they keep it, its a decent brand but yellow Omni's... maybe not, think it would be nice to go back to a red base like when it first launched.

You're amongst the minority who like it! Alongside the Crusader, it is massively disliked.
(18 Feb 2014, 11:14 am)Dan wrote You're amongst the minority who like it! Alongside the Crusader, it is massively disliked.

I like the design and that but it doesn't suit yellow at all

I don't like the Crusader brand however we all now know that its a temporary brand because its getting new buses this year... lets hope they change the colour and get the design much better it looks horrible on Silver.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(18 Feb 2014, 11:14 am)Dan wrote You're amongst the minority who like it! Alongside the Crusader, it is massively disliked.

I quite like 'theCenturion' brand, I think yellow and blue works okay. Not to say it can't be designed better but I certainly don't think it's really bad like, and I've see and heard people comment that it quite nice and a little different.
Site Administrator
(18 Feb 2014, 12:04 pm)CatsFast101 wrote I quite like 'theCenturion' brand, I think yellow and blue works okay. Not to say it can't be designed better but I certainly don't think it's really bad like, and I've see and heard people comment that it quite nice and a little different.

All the livery was intended to do was cover up vinyl marks left behind by the Blaydon Racers vinyls... An in-house livery design which looks to have been designed on Microsoft Paint, I'm impressed people actually approve of it. I know a hell of a lot of Go North East employees think it's a shambles (and that's putting it nicely!) It was also done because it was cheaper to apply said vinyls than repaint each and every vehicle red - which we now know has backfired because they're going to be repainted anyway.

Following on from earlier discussion, MPD 546 still retains full "Venture" branding - it was heading out of service from Peterlee to Deptford earlier today.

I can't remember where we discussed this last, but Cadet 8272 has timetables stocked for local East Durham services as well as the 38/238... Just in case, y'know! Tongue
Site Administrator
Merc 5333 is now at Peterlee.
It will be used on driver familiarisation for the next few days. This should take place in the bus station, so it may be worth taking a visit to Peterlee (should you dare! Angel) if you'd like a photo of it.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(18 Feb 2014, 3:50 pm)Dan wrote Merc 5333 is now at Peterlee.
It will be used on driver familiarisation for the next few days. This should take place in the bus station, so it may be worth taking a visit to Peterlee (should you dare! Angel) if you'd like a photo of it.

What's going to happen to the Renowns? (Once Citaros all in service on WearTees Xpress)
Site Administrator
(18 Feb 2014, 4:20 pm)CatsFast101 wrote What's going to happen to the Renowns? (Once Citaros all in service on WearTees Xpress)

They are to be repainted red.

As for the cascades... They'll presumably assist in the withdrawal of the eldest Renowns in the fleet so that the targets originally set at the start of last year are still fulfilled. I've not actually had any details passed on regarding the cascades though, so that mightn't be right.
(18 Feb 2014, 4:22 pm)Dan wrote They are to be repainted red.

As for the cascades... They'll presumably assist in the withdrawal of the eldest Renowns in the fleet so that the targets originally set at the start of last year are still fulfilled. I've not actually had any details passed on regarding the cascades though, so that mightn't be right.

What/where are the oldest Renowns in the fleet ?
Site Administrator
(18 Feb 2014, 4:47 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote What/where are the oldest Renowns in the fleet ?

4837-40.
(18 Feb 2014, 4:47 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote What/where are the oldest Renowns in the fleet ?

The oldest ones are the Rxxx PRG Renowns.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(18 Feb 2014, 9:43 am)Dan wrote Nope, it's still sitting in the depot soaking up the sun.

Same shade as maroon/plum as the Waggonway, for anyone interested. Had hoped it would be the same shade as the Tyne Tees Xpress but nevermind..!

A photo of 5333 at Deptford earlier can be found on the link below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/12616482204/
(18 Feb 2014, 11:01 am)tyresmoke wrote Why then emulate it with a similar base colour, gold X and logo? Either do it properly or not at all?

Bit like Arriva 6 " The captains tale", slightly one sided wouldn't you agree?. At least we manage branding a full bus not half!!
(18 Feb 2014, 4:52 pm)Dan wrote 4837-40.

Ah these have all had internal refurbs, quite surprised some of the newer ones never recieved the internal refurbs, obviously didnt pan out that way, Im not to sure if there are many Renowns that have the old seating etc left.
(18 Feb 2014, 5:09 pm)Dan wrote A photo of 5333 at Deptford earlier can be found on the link below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/12616482204/

On the topic of Repaints, 4931 hasn't been Painted yet and is still sitting CLS Depot, Just confirm in case anyone thought otherwise, and I am Doubtful it'll be getting Painted any time soon due having Fire Damage, which from I could see this Evening when coming out of work, which still hasn't been repaired.

As for 5333, Looks very smart in the Maroon Base, Here's hoping for an improved Brand Design, Would do a Paperbus, but I really can't be bothered to do so.
Site Administrator
(18 Feb 2014, 6:10 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote Ah these have all had internal refurbs, quite surprised some of the newer ones never recieved the internal refurbs, obviously didnt pan out that way, Im not to sure if there are many Renowns that have the old seating etc left.

Only about five in the fleet and I think four of the five are some of the newest 49xx Renowns too.

(18 Feb 2014, 6:11 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote As for 5333, Looks very smart in the Maroon Base, Here's hoping for an improved Brand Design, Would do a Paperbus, but I really can't be bothered to do so.

Improved brand design? Why improve something which works?
Kuyoyo made a paper bus after I released a paper bus of a mediocre standard on the forum.

It can be found on this news article.
(18 Feb 2014, 6:18 pm)Dan wrote Only about five in the fleet and I think four of the five are some of the newest 49xx Renowns too.

Improved brand design? Why improve something which works?
Kuyoyo made a paper bus after I released a paper bus of a mediocre standard on the forum.

It can be found on this news article.

I agree that the Branding Works, But with the X7 receiving the Citaros which more Modern compared to the Renown, Then surely perhaps making a Few Tweaks would be an Improvement, Like the Lettering for Example.

Instead having it like this

Wear
Tees
Xpress

You have like this - Wear Tees Xpress along the side of the Citaros, Basically a Few Minor Tweaks - Nothing Major.
(18 Feb 2014, 11:01 am)tyresmoke wrote Why then emulate it with a similar base colour, gold X and logo? Either do it properly or not at all?

Have to agree, and quite frankly it would appear that GNE also agree. Just look as far as Citylink/Tynedale Express and then Drifter/Crusader for that. Both examples are of two brands that emulate each other with only a different name.

The only reason I can think of it being different is that the TTX shade looks to be of a premium paint, whereas the WTX looks to be a simple base colour? May be way out with that thought though...
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(18 Feb 2014, 6:35 pm)aureolin wrote Have to agree, and quite frankly it would appear that GNE also agree. Just look as far as Citylink/Tynedale Express and then Drifter/Crusader for that. Both examples are of two brands that emulate each other with only a different name.

The only reason I can think of it being different is that the TTX shade looks to be of a premium paint, whereas the WTX looks to be a simple base colour? May be way out with that thought though...

I think the difference with the Citylink/Tynedalexpress and Drifter/Coaster is that those two buses should never meet. Even still, there are minor differences in the liveries of both examples.

Comparing the two at present, and then looking at the new base livery colour (look at the bit which caught a glimpse of the sun):
[Image: 9776499065_4eeca9ef02_z.jpg]
[Image: 12616482204_e40fb81304_z.jpg]

The new base livery colour looks to be closer to the shade used by the Tyne Tees Xpress than the old base livery colour. It is not exactly the same, but it's enough for passengers to differentiate between the two. It may sound daft, but is it possible elderly passengers could get confused by two similar livery designs for two similar services which are ultimately a lot different (one terminating in Newcastle and the other in Sunderland)? I agree most passengers will be able to tell that one is a single decker and one is a double decker, but if the two brand designs are exactly the same bar one word... Perhaps that has influenced the decision making of not integrating the two brands?
(18 Feb 2014, 6:46 pm)Dan wrote The new base livery colour looks to be closer to the shade used by the Tyne Tees Xpress than the old base livery colour. It is not exactly the same, but it's enough for passengers to differentiate between the two. It may sound daft, but is it possible elderly passengers could get confused by two similar livery designs for two similar services which are ultimately a lot different (one terminating in Newcastle and the other in Sunderland)? I agree most passengers will be able to tell that one is a single decker and one is a double decker, but if the two brand designs are exactly the same bar one word... Perhaps that has influenced the decision making of not integrating the two brands?

I don't think that would even come to mind, as on the other hand you could argue that allocating Centurion branded vehicles to the 9 on a daily basis would cause more confusion? They both cross paths. Plus I'm pretty sure one of the varieties of colour blindness wouldn't be able to differentiate between the two shades.

I don't think there's any logic to the decision other than perhaps cost, but that's just speculation like everything else. One of life's great mysteries perhaps. Tongue
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(18 Feb 2014, 7:46 pm)aureolin wrote I don't think that would even come to mind, as on the other hand you could argue that allocating Centurion branded vehicles to the 9 on a daily basis would cause more confusion? They both cross paths. Plus I'm pretty sure one of the varieties of colour blindness wouldn't be able to differentiate between the two shades.

I don't think there's any logic to the decision other than perhaps cost, but that's just speculation like everything else. One of life's great mysteries perhaps. Tongue

But you have to remember that isn't meant to happen... It's one of the reasons why the Centurion B10BLEs are being repainted.

The ex-MetroLINK Solars were originally destined to receive the same shade as the Tyne Tees Xpress, so if they were going to do that and they haven't done it on the Mercs... Means they've chosen to do it for a specific reason (it won't be down to cost if they were willing to have the Solars that colour) - only reason I can think of is to do with the livery designs being too similar and causing confusion in Middlesbrough, Stockton and Peterlee.
Site Administrator
(18 Feb 2014, 8:23 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote While we are on the Topic of the TTX and WTX. Isnt the big 'X' on the TTX B9s painted on as they were like that when they got delivered and im also guessing the X7s 'X' is only a vinyl?

That's correct.
(18 Feb 2014, 7:55 pm)Dan wrote But you have to remember that isn't meant to happen... It's one of the reasons why the Centurion B10BLEs are being repainted.

The ex-MetroLINK Solars were originally destined to receive the same shade as the Tyne Tees Xpress, so if they were going to do that and they haven't done it on the Mercs... Means they've chosen to do it for a specific reason (it won't be down to cost if they were willing to have the Solars that colour) - only reason I can think of is to do with the livery designs being too similar and causing confusion in Middlesbrough, Stockton and Peterlee.

Maybe that is why the x3 failed, cos every one got on the x1 from Newcastle instead and ended up in Houghton, rather than Sunderland :p
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(18 Feb 2014, 8:58 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote Another thing, thought that maybe 2 renowns would go to Chester to replace 8237 and 8289. Might aswell since they will become free.

They will be replaced by the former "Whey Aye Five 0" branded Solars.
I've suggested previously that one will cling on until 4931 is repaired and repainted.
(18 Feb 2014, 8:59 pm)Dan wrote They will be replaced by the former "Whey Aye Five 0" branded Solars.
I've suggested previously that one will cling on until 4931 is repaired and repainted.

that might be a while.....

Also on the fleet allocation they still have few mistakes

5204 down as laser
5208 as FAB 56
8249 in purple writing
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Feb 2014, 8:59 pm)Dan wrote They will be replaced by the former "Whey Aye Five 0" branded Solars.

I reckon the ex-''Wear Tees Express'' branded Renowns will go:

4906 - Stanley (replacing 8221)
4907 - Chester-le-Street (replacing 4837)
4908 - Chester-le-Street (replacing 4838)
4909 - Chester-le-Street (replacing 4839)
Site Administrator
(18 Feb 2014, 9:03 pm)Tom wrote I reckon the ex-''Wear Tees Express'' branded Renowns will go:

4906 - Stanley (replacing 8221)
4907 - Chester-le-Street (replacing 4837)
4908 - Chester-le-Street (replacing 4838)
4909 - Chester-le-Street (replacing 4839)

Let's not forget there are still two more OmniCitys heading to Stanley...
(18 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm)Dan wrote Let's not forget there are still two more OmniCitys heading to Stanley...

Oh right, so 4906/7/8/9 could transfer to Chester-le-Street to replace all of their R reg Renowns (4837/8/9/44)
Site Administrator
(18 Feb 2014, 9:08 pm)Tom wrote Oh right, so 4906/7/8/9 could transfer to Chester-le-Street to replace all of their R reg Renowns (4837/8/9/44)

There's no reason to keep them all at the same depot. I'd assume that 4840 would be withdrawn before 4844, if they are to replace the eldest Renowns in the fleet...