You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

Banned
RE: Go North East - Latest
(19 Feb 2014, 10:10 pm)andreos1 wrote Was hoping for a photo of an upset gtomlinson in front of a laptop (model buses in background) when the paper published this.

It must have been taken seriously for the MD to have been available for a quote, rather than the PR guy (his name escapes me) who often has his name attributed to quotes.

Did GNE come back to you after your complaint?

They did not. A colleague of mine works at Go Ahead Group and I passed it to him and I got a nice personal response from London swiftly followed by a generic Customer Service apologise
Site Administrator
(20 Feb 2014, 2:50 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote Sure is, rotating on services 43 and 44A.

It also performs 44s too, not just 43/44As.
(20 Feb 2014, 2:51 pm)Dan wrote It also performs 44s too, not just 43/44As.

Eh? Im confused now Tongue. I always assumed that that was the only services that it would appear on is 43 and 44A because of the times, I will have a look at the timetable, see if I can make sense of it.
Site Administrator
(20 Feb 2014, 2:56 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote Eh? Im confused now Tongue. I always assumed that that was the only services that it would appear on is 43 and 44A because of the times, I will have a look at the timetable, see if I can make sense of it.

It will be on the 1505 43 out of Newcastle (having operated the 1320 44A out of Durham), and then finish on the 1652 44 out of Durham.
(20 Feb 2014, 2:58 pm)Dan wrote It will be on the 1505 43 out of Newcastle (having operated the 1320 44A out of Durham), and then finish on the 1652 44 out of Durham.

After looking at the timetable yes, it will, thanks for pointing this out otherwise I would of never known. It should in theory be inbetween Metrocentre and Newcastle now, if not at Newcastle loading up.
Site Administrator
(20 Feb 2014, 2:59 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote After looking at the timetable yes, it will, thanks for pointing this out otherwise I would of never known. It should in theory be inbetween Metrocentre and Newcastle now, if not at Newcastle loading up.

It has just arrived at Eldon Square.
This is something that I've been wondering over for a long time. You have operators who require double deckers with powerful engines for routes such as the 10, X1, X9 AND X10. What are they going to do in 7-10 years time when heavyweight buses like the B9TL are due to be replaced. Will they reduce the capacity and order heavyweight coaches or if any exist single deckers. Or will they buy these so called eco friendly turbocharged double deckers like the E400 and B5TL(NOT TURBOCHARGED) with tiny engines and replace them on a more regular basis? Who knows.
(20 Feb 2014, 4:00 pm)Davey Bowyer wrote This is something that I've been wondering over for a long time. You have operators who require double deckers with powerful engines for routes such as the 10, X1, X9 AND X10. What are they going to do in 7-10 years time when heavyweight buses like the B9TL are due to be replaced. Will they reduce the capacity and order heavyweight coaches or if any exist single deckers. Or will they buy these so called eco friendly turbocharged double deckers like the E400 and B5TL(NOT TURBOCHARGED) with tiny engines and replace them on a more regular basis? Who knows.

The demand for power isn't full-time, therefore 'small' engines backed-up by electric power (hybrids) makes sense (although my belief is that hybrids will not prove to be economical when compared to diesels).

I often wonder about the B9TLs when I hear the Tens trundling past lightly laden (though I realise they need the power to climb Tinkler's Bank out of Corbridge towards Riding Mill fully laden). The MPDs almost stalled when they used to use them there.
http://www.simplygo.com/news/save-on-bus...eeklysaver

Seems their advertising the ticket on their site.

Also updated the Simplicity tab on the site to include the info about the weekly pass.

£8.30 is quite cheap - being able to use it on the 35/35A/35B/35C between Sunderland City Centre and Vicarage Farm Estate and the 42.

http://www.simplygo.com/all-services/simplicity
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(20 Feb 2014, 5:04 pm)Michael wrote http://www.simplygo.com/news/save-on-bus...eeklysaver

Seems their advertising the ticket on their site.

Also updated the Simplicity tab on the site to include the info about the weekly pass.

£8.30 is quite cheap - being able to use it on the 35/35A/35B/35C between Sunderland City Centre and Vicarage Farm Estate and the 42.

http://www.simplygo.com/all-services/simplicity

That's cos there is competition between those two points.
Travel beyond there (anywhere beyond the Board Inn) on the 35 and the price per mile rockets (no promotions, town saver tickets, discounts etc other than a red ticket).

Assuming you live in Silksworth and make 1 return journey a day over a 7 day period, the £8.30 ticket, equates to 59p per trip!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(20 Feb 2014, 6:04 pm)andreos1 wrote That's cos there is competition between those two points.
Travel beyond there (anywhere beyond the Board Inn) on the 35 and the price per mile rockets (no promotions, town saver tickets, discounts etc other than a red ticket).

Assuming you live in Silksworth and make 1 return journey a day over a 7 day period, the £8.30 ticket, equates to 59p per trip!

I've glad they've renamed this ticket (this is formerly the SimpliCity ticket and was valid on 36 also). And that's where the value comes from as it cheaper than the Sunderland weekly ticket and stagecoach weekly offerings too I think.
Banned
(20 Feb 2014, 4:23 pm)G-CPTN wrote The demand for power isn't full-time, therefore 'small' engines backed-up by electric power (hybrids) makes sense (although my belief is that hybrids will not prove to be economical when compared to diesels).

Poor performance on the 21 blots their copybook. Though that may say more about that route over the equipment
(20 Feb 2014, 6:26 pm)CatsFast101 wrote I've glad they've renamed this ticket (this is formerly the SimpliCity ticket and was valid on 36 also). And that's where the value comes from as it cheaper than the Sunderland weekly ticket and stagecoach weekly offerings too I think.

Yeah, I think you are right.
Just comparing prices and comparative journeys on other routes and there is nothing that comes near to this ticket.
It is the second cheapest ticket GNE offer after Quaylink.

Good luck to them.
If GNE can make money on 59p tickets, then fantastic.
Hopefully these low fares/profits aren't subsidised by increases in other areas, particularly when the route is supporting the purchase of new deckers.

It seems strange that low fares aren't viable when it comes to QCS, but when it comes to attracting punters from a competitor... Wink

Putting a positive slant on it, wasn't deregulation meant to do this back in 1986? Competition between operators, resulting in lower fares? Bring it on across the North East! Big Grin
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(20 Feb 2014, 1:10 pm)Dan wrote 5338 is out in service on Diamond duties today.

As shown here.

(19 Feb 2014, 6:25 pm)Dan wrote Anyway, on another note... 3964 is now back at Riverside.

As shown (although poorly) here and here.
Site Administrator
(20 Feb 2014, 6:49 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote Does anybody have a photo of 5338's offside after its repaint? Don't worry if you haven't, it is only its 2nd day in that livery.

It's exactly the same as the near-side as far as I know?
Can anyone tell me whether the Get Around day ticket (£3.65 on the Key) is able to be purchased at that price on normal Monday to Fridays? If not what price please?

If I can go around on one, I might as well do it on a Monday to Friday when it is relatively quiet.
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
Site Administrator
(20 Feb 2014, 7:01 pm)northern156 wrote Can anyone tell me whether the Get Around day ticket (£3.65 on the Key) is able to be purchased at that price on normal Monday to Fridays? If not what price please?

If I can go around on one, I might as well do it on a Monday to Friday when it is relatively quiet.

You can indeed buy a Get Around Day during the week! Smile
(20 Feb 2014, 6:52 pm)Dan wrote It's exactly the same as the near-side as far as I know?

Ok, just trying to make a paper bus net (not like its hard with the livery) and I haven't been able to find a picture of its offside.
(20 Feb 2014, 7:01 pm)northern156 wrote Can anyone tell me whether the Get Around day ticket (£3.65 on the Key) is able to be purchased at that price on normal Monday to Fridays? If not what price please?

Dan's right! Just expanding in case you wish to know - it's only the single 90p ticket price that changes, and that's during peak hours for journeys outside Tyne and Wear. Also, according to the GNE website, singles are £2.20 on the Tyne-Tees Express with the key - not sure if this applies to all journeys though (e.g. Gateshead to Newcastle)?
(20 Feb 2014, 7:22 pm)BJ10VUS wrote Dan's right! Just expanding in case you wish to know - it's only the single 90p ticket price that changes, and that's during peak hours for journeys outside Tyne and Wear. Also, according to the GNE website, singles are £2.20 on the Tyne-Tees Express with the key - not sure if this applies to all journeys though (e.g. Gateshead to Newcastle)?
Fantastic, thanks mate and Dan!
That's a day booked off work at some point in March then Big Grin
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(20 Feb 2014, 6:27 pm)gtom wrote Poor performance on the 21 blots their copybook. Though that may say more about that route over the equipment

Hybrids are another kettle of fish and they are really, only designed for town and city use. Looking at the Euro 6 range, the Volvo B5TL, Cummins ISBe and the new Merc 5.1l will be able to handle city / urban routes like the 21. What I'm talking about is endurance and rural routes such as GNE's TTX and 10 and also ANE's X15, X18, X21 and X22. Them routes won't allow buses that were built for city / urban use to be used on them due to the demands required.
(20 Feb 2014, 7:44 pm)Davey Bowyer wrote Hybrids are another kettle of fish and they are really, only designed for town and city use. Looking at the Euro 6 range, the Volvo B5TL, Cummins ISBe and the new Merc 5.1l will be able to handle city / urban routes like the 21. What I'm talking about is endurance and rural routes such as GNE's TTX and 10 and also ANE's X15, X18, X21 and X22. Them routes won't allow buses that were built for city / urban use to be used on them due to the demands required.

To be quite frank, B9TLs aren't truly designed for the demands of the X9/X10 and X15 due to the amount of non-stop running along major trunk roads. As previously discussed, the best vehicles for these routes (and I would also count the X18 in that) are Coaches rather than buses. Astromegas would be far more suited to the X9/X10 plus would last the full 15 years expected of vehicles these days on the routes (6043-8 will need pensioning off in 3-4 years time).
Site Administrator
(20 Feb 2014, 8:06 pm)Kuyoyo wrote To be quite frank, B9TLs aren't truly designed for the demands of the X9/X10 and X15 due to the amount of non-stop running along major trunk roads. As previously discussed, the best vehicles for these routes (and I would also count the X18 in that) are Coaches rather than buses. Astromegas would be far more suited to the X9/X10 plus would last the full 15 years expected of vehicles these days on the routes (6043-8 will need pensioning off in 3-4 years time).

You expect they'll last that long?!
(20 Feb 2014, 8:11 pm)Dan wrote You expect they'll last that long?!

That's the maximum length I can honestly see them remaining on there - to be quite frank, the minimum time I'm thinking before replacement is 18 months.
Site Administrator
(20 Feb 2014, 8:13 pm)Kuyoyo wrote That's the maximum length I can honestly see them remaining on there - to be quite frank, the minimum time I'm thinking before replacement is 18 months.

Now that's more realistic.
When you consider the recent reliability, things are only going to get worse. It may not be every journey, but it's enough to have been noticed by both the enthusiast scene and customers.

How often in the past have we seen Olympians allocated? How often recently have we seen Highwaymans allocated? I'd say there has been at least three or four days this month alone where a Highwayman has been allocated to the Tyne Tees Xpress...

We've discussed the problems with coaches in the past though. For some (albeit a minority), the Tyne Tees Xpress is a local service. Coaches just aren't convenient for that type of work. The cost of coaches, as well as where they'd end up should the Tyne Tees Xpress ever justify yet another upgrade, is also something that is perhaps off-putting.