Menu

Pages (48)    141 42 4348   
R852 PRG   23 Feb 2014, 5:29 pm
To Michael,

The X43 uses either a Volvo President, a Plaxton President, an Olympian or a Lolyne, but from time to time I believe has used a Renown or whatevers available.
Michael   23 Feb 2014, 5:31 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 5:29 pm)Marcus wrote To Michael,

The X43 uses either a Volvo President, a Plaxton President, an Olympian or a Lolyne, but from time to time I believe has used a Renown or whatevers available.

Ye was just mentioning if i could brand it, i would choose Diamond.

Bored.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Dan   23 Feb 2014, 5:31 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 5:29 pm)Marcus wrote To Michael,

A recent change means that the X43 should be allocated a Volvo B10BLE rather than the aforementioned double deckers.
As a result of this change, it means a Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President has been freed up - maybe an Olympian can be withdrawn soon as a result?

(23 Feb 2014, 5:31 pm)Michael wrote Ye was just mentioning if i could brand it, i would choose Diamond.

Bored.

I think the only problem with branding it "Diamond" would be that you couldn't use a Merc to brand it (the X43 isn't that great a performer, even if some journeys do carry a good few passengers), and split allocations are generally a no-go these days.
R852 PRG   23 Feb 2014, 5:32 pm
Oh I've just realised you were making a list of brands for the future, if I'm honest I would brand 5337 or 5338 into the Diamond and then the X43 could actually fall under the Diamond brand.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   23 Feb 2014, 5:34 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 5:31 pm)Dan wrote A recent change means that the X43 should be allocated a Volvo B10BLE rather than the aforementioned double deckers.
As a result of this change, it means a Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President has been freed up - maybe an Olympian can be withdrawn soon as a result?

I think the only problem with branding it "Diamond" would be that you couldn't use a Merc to brand it (the X43 isn't that great a performer, even if some journeys do carry a good few passengers), and split allocations are generally a no-go these days.

Theirs always 5337 or 5338. lol

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Dan   23 Feb 2014, 5:36 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 5:34 pm)Michael wrote Theirs always 5337 or 5338. lol

But then we couldn't replace two 'red spares' at Stanley in favour of withdrawing two further Olympians..! Tongue
R852 PRG   23 Feb 2014, 5:39 pm
Hi Dan,

If I'm honest, from what I've observed up at Stanley, the buses parked up in the bus station (nearly all of which tend to be Olympians), I believe they are there for scholars, work services and in case of a breakdown or problem. Just like in other depots during the day, there tends to be several vehicles at the back of the garage, in Stanley's case a lot are Olympians that these days haven't much to do, it's almost like they are actually awaiting withdrawal, so perhaps Stanley could recieve some of Deptford's ex-56 Solars in place of the Olympians which could allow several withdrawals?
Michael   23 Feb 2014, 5:43 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 5:39 pm)Marcus wrote Hi Dan,

If I'm honest, from what I've observed up at Stanley, the buses parked up in the bus station (nearly all of which tend to be Olympians), I believe they are there for scholars, work services and in case of a breakdown or problem. Just like in other depots during the day, there tends to be several vehicles at the back of the garage, in Stanley's case a lot are Olympians that these days haven't much to do, it's almost like they are actually awaiting withdrawal, so perhaps Stanley could recieve some of Deptford's ex-56 Solars in place of the Olympians which could allow several withdrawals?

I think Deptford needs all of them for the spare %.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   23 Feb 2014, 5:50 pm
That's a good point, now that half of their Vykings have gone to Riverside they are needing double decker reserves. I believe there is 3980, 3981 and 3982 which are used for Scholars, then there is 6020 which I think does literally anything, and finally there is 6099 and 6100, which I think were intended for the 56 in case of a problem with a branded B9, although they have been seen on the X3 and 20, the first of which uses nearly anything from a Fab Fifty Six Solar to a Versa.
Dan   23 Feb 2014, 5:51 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 5:39 pm)Marcus wrote Hi Dan,

There's only one or two of Stanley's Olympians which aren't required daily, as far as I know. Most of them are required for scholars - I guess the contractual requirement will be double deckers.

(23 Feb 2014, 5:43 pm)Michael wrote I think Deptford needs all of them for the spare %.

Quite right. The Solars replaced the SPDs which previously made up Deptford's spare vehicle percentage.

(23 Feb 2014, 5:50 pm)Marcus wrote That's a good point, now that half of their Vykings have gone to Riverside they are needing double decker reserves. I believe there is 3980, 3981 and 3982 which are used for Scholars, then there is 6020 which I think does literally anything, and finally there is 6099 and 6100, which I think were intended for the 56 in case of a problem with a branded B9, although they have been seen on the X3 and 20, the first of which uses nearly anything from a Fab Fifty Six Solar to a Versa.

6020 is also required for scholars.

6028 has been transferred to Deptford to act as a backup for double deckers which are VOR, which enables 6099/6100 to be dedicated spares for the "Fab Fifty Six" once more.

Service X3, since the changes made which curtail journeys at Monkwearmouth, operates with double deckers due to the interworking pattern with scholar services. Saturdays obviously allow for greater flexibility with allocations.
Malarkey   23 Feb 2014, 5:56 pm
Just a wee mock up of the potential new corporate livery.

[attachment=5266]

Taglines could be Varied to relate to the Key or Social Media or as above GNE's History in Various Ways, Tag Lines could also be Divided on each Vehicle Type for Example

Geminis/Versas - GNE History
Presidents/Loyles.Vykings - Key/Social Media
Renowns/Solars/Cadets - Mixture of Taglines
R852 PRG   23 Feb 2014, 6:08 pm
I walked past Chester depot today and saw 4931 in the midst of the regular Sunday vehicles. It was still in a bad way, although it appeared to have a rear panel placed back on. It is rumored to be up and running again soon, but I can't exactly say it hasn't gone unnoticed. You see, the 50 has 6 branded vehicles for it, as you know, and most of the time before the reliable Omnicities started to arrive, I mean there were 3 Solars on and 3 Deckers on, so to speak. Those 6 Solars have to be amongst the worst within the entire fleet. From what you have observed, if you had to choose one vehicle from each depot that was by far the worst, what would you say?

Here is mine:
Chester - 4928
Crook - 6021
Stanley - 3814
Riverside - 5339
Peterlee - 4909 (although it's due to go into the reserve fleet)
Washington - 529
Percy Main - 3859
Deptford - 3981
Hexham - 8293
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
CatsFast101   23 Feb 2014, 6:20 pm
I do:
theViking 9 - liking it back to Jarrow's Viking Centre etc.
DurhamConnect 13/14/15/15A - Just a basic brand, explains it self really provides localised links.
CrossCity 29/29A - Cross Sunderland route so hence the name.
CrusaderX 27X - If/when nexus bus solos become available, I thought one could be put into crusader livery with a few tweeks.
Go North East 38 - Problem with this one to me is East Durham is already associated with this service as the 238. However could be branded? Not sure what as?
thePebble 64 - Just plucked out the air a new name for Gateshead locals.
Lime 71 - Add it into Lime block. Similarish routes Chester/Great Lumley.
thePebble 95/96/96A - Just plucked out the air a new name for Gateshead locals.
Go North East 99 - 99 could be branded as it uses a regular allocation of 2 MPDs, don't know what it could be branded.
WashingtonStar M2/M3 - I don't really class these as local Washington routes due to their distances an destinations served, so I think another brand name could work.
WashingtonStar W5/W6 - Simple branding for the local Washington routes,
Go North East X3 - Scholar interworking and irregular timetables means branding not appropriate.
Sir Bobby Robson X25 - I'd suggest bringing back Sir Bobby Robson but Go North East don't seem keen on that idea. Maybe it be reworked a bit better? Or possibly a new brand completely.
West Durham Swift X30/X31/X70/X71 - nothing wrong with the brand worked well in my opinion.
Dan   23 Feb 2014, 6:22 pm
So every service is branded, there is an increase of branded vehicles and a decrease of corporate liveried vehicles.
Can see Riverside coping well.
Michael   23 Feb 2014, 6:24 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 6:22 pm)Dan wrote So every service is branded, there is an increase of branded vehicles and a decrease of corporate liveried vehicles.

haha, Tongue

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
CatsFast101   23 Feb 2014, 6:34 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 6:22 pm)Dan wrote So every service is branded, there is an increase of branded vehicles and a decrease of corporate liveried vehicles.

But realistically thought only riverside service I mentioned was 64/95/96 and surely these services use a set allocation? Same/similar vehicles each day. Riverside are just incompetent. They can't do branding right at the moment throwing 5 extra branded vehicles won't make any difference any way! It's deptford that would be stretched with 11 branded vehicles.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   23 Feb 2014, 6:39 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 6:34 pm)CatsFast101 wrote But realistically thought only riverside service I mentioned was 64/95/96 and surely these services use a set allocation? Same/similar vehicles each day. Riverside are just incompetent. They can't do branding right at the moment throwing 5 extra branded vehicles won't make any difference any way! It's deptford that would be stretched with 11 branded vehicles.

If you brand all of those services and totally ignore the route hierarchy, you may as well brand them all.
Brand them all, you reduce your red spares. You have even fewer options when it comes to allocations. You struggle.

Also means that branding loses its effect because you have services which are only just making profits which are branded. These couldn't justify professionally designed liveries either, so the quality of your brands is reduced.

Costs are increased because you'd be repainting older vehicles which would have otherwise been in a 'red spare' livery...
pdiddy   23 Feb 2014, 6:50 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 6:08 pm)Marcus wrote I walked past Chester depot today and saw 4931 in the midst of the regular Sunday vehicles. It was still in a bad way, although it appeared to have a rear panel placed back on. It is rumored to be up and running again soon, but I can't exactly say it hasn't gone unnoticed. You see, the 50 has 6 branded vehicles for it, as you know, and most of the time before the reliable Omnicities started to arrive, I mean there were 3 Solars on and 3 Deckers on, so to speak. Those 6 Solars have to be amongst the worst within the entire fleet. From what you have observed, if you had to choose one vehicle from each depot that was by far the worst, what would you say?

Here is mine:
Chester - 4928
Crook - 6021
Stanley - 3814
Riverside - 5339
Washington - 529
Percy Main - 3859
Deptford - 3981
Hexham - 8293

Crook has to be 6041... its been off the road at crook for over two month, it came back last friday and broke down saturday . Same probs as before
DanPicken   23 Feb 2014, 7:18 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 6:08 pm)Marcus wrote I walked past Chester depot today and saw 4931 in the midst of the regular Sunday vehicles. It was still in a bad way, although it appeared to have a rear panel placed back on. It is rumored to be up and running again soon, but I can't exactly say it hasn't gone unnoticed. You see, the 50 has 6 branded vehicles for it, as you know, and most of the time before the reliable Omnicities started to arrive, I mean there were 3 Solars on and 3 Deckers on, so to speak. Those 6 Solars have to be amongst the worst within the entire fleet. From what you have observed, if you had to choose one vehicle from each depot that was by far the worst, what would you say?

Here is mine:
Chester - 4928
Crook - 6021
Stanley - 3814
Riverside - 5339
Washington - 529
Percy Main - 3859
Deptford - 3981
Hexham - 8293

what about sm
CatsFast101   23 Feb 2014, 7:39 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 6:39 pm)Dan wrote If you brand all of those services and totally ignore the route hierarchy, you may as well brand them all.
Brand them all, you reduce your red spares. You have even fewer options when it comes to allocations. You struggle.

Also means that branding loses its effect because you have services which are only just making profits which are branded. These couldn't justify professionally designed liveries either, so the quality of your brands is reduced.

Costs are increased because you'd be repainting older vehicles which would have otherwise been in a 'red spare' livery...

Flip side of the coin is that there needs to be a better designed corporate livery then. Got to be one or the other for me?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
northtynelinks2   23 Feb 2014, 7:41 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 7:18 pm)danpick wrote what about sm

Think we know about Saltmeadows...the South Tyne Cadets.
Dan   23 Feb 2014, 7:42 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 7:39 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Flip side of the coin is that there needs to be a better designed corporate livery then. Got to be one or the other for me?

But then the liveries of branded services don't make as big an impact, because somewhere along the line a compromise has to be made...
Do you put more effort into your corporate livery for the very few services that are allocated those vehicles, or do you put more effort into your primary and higher end secondary service brands?

It seems it's one or the other for GNE, and they've selected the latter option.
R852 PRG   23 Feb 2014, 7:57 pm
For Consett I wouldn't be able to say seeing as I've only used one of the Solo SRs about twice on the V8. Saltmeadows would have to be one of the Great Park & Rides, I know not all bendy buses are bad but some spend three days actually in service in a seven day week, if you know what I mean.
R852 PRG   23 Feb 2014, 7:58 pm
Oh I've just remembered that they got transferred, in that case I would agree with Robert.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   23 Feb 2014, 7:59 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 7:57 pm)Marcus wrote For Consett I wouldn't be able to say seeing as I've only used one of the Solo SRs about twice on the V8. Saltmeadows would have to be one of the Great Park & Rides, I know not all bendy buses are bad but some spend three days actually in service in a seven day week, if you know what I mean.

The X40/40A are now ran by riverside, same as the Pulse and the S1 and Nexus 29.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
citaro5284   23 Feb 2014, 8:06 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 7:59 pm)Michael wrote The X40/40A are now ran by riverside, same as the Pulse and the S1 and Nexus 29.

The 40A is still operated out of Saltmeadows I am lead to believe, only the X40 moved. Anyway the above list will soon say: X40, 67, 69, S1 and Nexus 29 Tongue
speedwheels22   23 Feb 2014, 8:10 pm
When arriva ran the X40 I use to see the bus full when gne took over using bendies I only see about 3 people on that bus service
Dan   23 Feb 2014, 8:20 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 8:06 pm)citaro5284 wrote The 40A is still operated out of Saltmeadows I am lead to believe, only the X40 moved. Anyway the above list will soon say: X40, 67, 69, S1 and Nexus 29 Tongue

[Image: pC8jf5t4eWCDKcMu.jpg]
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tyresmoke   23 Feb 2014, 8:28 pm
Ripping the heart out of the branded services at Saltmeadows?!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Michael   23 Feb 2014, 8:36 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 8:06 pm)citaro5284 wrote The 40A is still operated out of Saltmeadows I am lead to believe, only the X40 moved. Anyway the above list will soon say: X40, 67, 69, S1 and Nexus 29 Tongue

Which it already does... Tongue

But didnt know the 40A was still operated from SM.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Pages (48)    141 42 4348