Menu

Pages (159)    110 11 12159   
MurdnunoC   22 Feb 2014, 9:22 pm
I went to Glasgow last weekend and had the pleasure of riding the 'Clockwork Orange' and I have to say I loved it. I also purchased a First All-Day ticket for £4 and caught the 2 from Partick (after visiting the Riverside Museum) to the City Centre; the X8 Circular service to Pollok and back; and the 6/6A - first from the City Centre to Anniesland, and then back from Anniesland to my hotel located in Kelvinbridge. I also used the 6 later that evening to venture into the City Centre and back.
Tom   23 Feb 2014, 3:07 pm
Hoping to get either 11th-15th or 18th-22nd August in Cumbria, but won't all be for buses, but will be going up to Keswick and Cockermouth and Carlisle on another day, Carlisle hopefully soon.
Dan   23 Feb 2014, 8:47 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 3:07 pm)Tom wrote Hoping to get either 11th-15th or 18th-22nd August in Cumbria, but won't all be for buses, but will be going up to Keswick and Cockermouth and Carlisle on another day, Carlisle hopefully soon.

Looking to head over there for the day of Stagecoach North West's Open Day this year, followed by a week-long trip (coming back each day on the 685 so it's cheaper) in summer.
Tom   23 Feb 2014, 9:11 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 8:47 pm)Dan wrote Looking to head over there for the day of Stagecoach North West's Open Day this year, followed by a week-long trip (coming back each day on the 685 so it's cheaper) in summer.

£26 is cracking value, as I believe it is cheaper than 2 X 3 Day Child North West explorer (totaling at £30+).

I'll be staying in Kendal for 4/5 nights, and hopefully visiting Morcambe, Lancaster, Windermere, Barrow and Ambleside, with West Cumbria (Cockermouth) and Carlisle on other occasions.

Might even be worth staying over rather than having a week long one, Dan.
Possibly one night in Whitehaven, so one day in Whitehaven, Workington etc., one in Kendal as it's easy access to the lakes, and one night in Lancaster before heading home? It's brilliant if you can get the £29 saver rooms with Premier Inn.
http://www.premierinn.com/en/search!execute.action

EDIT: Where/when is the open day this year?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   23 Feb 2014, 9:16 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 9:11 pm)Tom wrote £26 is cracking value, as I believe it is cheaper than 2 X 3 Day Child North West explorer (totaling at £30+).

I'll be staying in Kendal for 4/5 nights, and hopefully visiting Morcambe, Lancaster, Windermere, Barrow and Ambleside, with West Cumbria (Cockermouth) and Carlisle on other occasions.

Possibly one night in Whitehaven, so one day in Whitehaven, Workington etc., one in Kendal as it's easy access to the lakes, and one night in Lancaster before heading home? It's brilliant if you can get the £29 saver rooms with Premier Inn.

29 quid is a trip to Edinburgh and back (as an adult) with the cost of dinner in there too! Right cheapskate, me.

Hasn't been at Carlisle for a while so I think it should be there. When... I don't know.
Tom   23 Feb 2014, 9:18 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 9:16 pm)Dan wrote 29 quid is a trip to Edinburgh and back (as an adult) with the cost of dinner in there too! Right cheapskate, me.

Hasn't been at Carlisle for a while so I think it should be there. When... I don't know.

Might be worth just spending three nights in Cumbria though Wink

And it might be year, or Kendal.
Rapidsnap   23 Feb 2014, 9:24 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 9:11 pm)Tom wrote £26 is cracking value, as I believe it is cheaper than 2 X 3 Day Child North West explorer (totaling at £30+).

Sounds similar to a trip I did in April 2004. Had a Stagecoach Gold Rider ticket which cost £15 and was valid on any Stagecoach bus in the UK apart from London. Was intending to go back and forth to Cumbria. Got tedious quickly.

Mon - Travelled accross on the 685, was delayed heavily into Carlisle and missed my connection to Workington, so stayed in Carlisle and did the City services plus a run up to Bowness on Solway on a Merc.

Tue - Made my connection, went to Workington and Whitehaven. Returned via Keswick. Another breadvan ride from Keswick to Carlisle.

Wed - Went up to Dumfries, managed to get permission to visit the Stagecoach depot. Returned to Carlisle via Lockerbie.

Thur - Went to Carlisle on 685. Caught train to Lancaster. Then caught bus from Lancaster to Blackpool. Stayed at B&B near Rigby Road depot.

Fri - Went to Manchester via Preston.

Sat - Headed home from Blackpool via Preston, Lancaster, Keswick, Carlisle to Newcastle.

Sun - Did a return trip from Wallsend to Bowness on Solway on the AD122.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Tom   23 Feb 2014, 9:26 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 9:24 pm)GMitchelhill wrote Sounds similar to a trip I did in April 2004. Had a Stagecoach Gold Rider ticket which cost £15 and was valid on any Stagecoach bus in the UK apart from London. Was intending to go back and forth to Cumbria. Got tedious quickly.

Mon - Travelled accross on the 685, was delayed heavily into Carlisle and missed my connection to Workington, so stayed in Carlisle and did the City services plus a run up to Bowness on Solway on a Merc.

Tue - Made my connection, went to Workington and Whitehaven. Returned via Keswick. Another breadvan ride from Keswick to Carlisle.

Wed - Went up to Dumfries, managed to get permission to visit the Stagecoach depot. Returned to Carlisle via Lockerbie.

Thur - Went to Carlisle on 685. Caught train to Lancaster. Then caught bus from Lancaster to Blackpool. Stayed at B&B near Rigby Road depot.

Fri - Went to Manchester via Preston.

Sat - Headed home from Blackpool via Preston, Lancaster, Keswick, Carlisle to Newcastle.

Sun - Did a return trip from Wallsend to Bowness on Solway on the AD122.

Did the AD122 used to go to Wallsend like?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Rapidsnap   23 Feb 2014, 9:27 pm
Forgot to mention. My South Yorkshire trip was a complete success, I managed to photograph all four heritage livery vehicles.

Next few trips for me are:

Tues: No bus riding, but photoing in Sunderland between visits to the Cinema. (Going to see Lego Movie and The Monuments Men)

Thur: Bus riding in Tyne and Wear.

Think after that there is two more days out bus riding locally. Then early on the 16th March, I be off to Antwerp via London.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Rapidsnap   23 Feb 2014, 9:29 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 9:26 pm)Tom wrote Did the AD122 used to go to Wallsend like?

Indeedy - http://www.flickr.com/photos/53115167@N0...2fZ-djG47b

However think in the last year Stagecoach ran it, it was curtailed to Newcastle to Bowness or Carlisle.

Tom   23 Feb 2014, 9:33 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 9:29 pm)GMitchelhill wrote Indeedy - http://www.flickr.com/photos/53115167@N0...2fZ-djG47b

However think in the last year Stagecoach ran it, it was curtailed to Newcastle to Bowness or Carlisle.

I'd like to see it operating from Wallsend again!
tyresmoke   23 Feb 2014, 9:37 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 9:33 pm)Tom wrote I'd like to see it operating from Wallsend again!

It'll be interesting to see who runs the Newcastle based board this year. Not been registered yet but required a Euro5 vehicle (if I remember right).

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Rapidsnap   23 Feb 2014, 9:40 pm
Just to add. I believe it was the longest single stagecarriage service in England. There were longer routes but these had split registrations.

Tom   23 Feb 2014, 9:40 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 9:37 pm)tyresmoke wrote It'll be interesting to see who runs the Newcastle based board this year. Not been registered yet but required a Euro5 vehicle (if I remember right).

Alba Travel are still operating the Hexham-Carlisle boards?
Tom   23 Feb 2014, 9:46 pm
Anyway, this is what my trip in the Lakes will be like:

Mon -> Get checked in to the hotel, then some photographs in Kendal.
Tues -> Will be a family day out, probably some attraction, then hopefully Ambleside and Windermere.
Wed -> ?
Thurs -> Morcambe and Lancaster.

This will be before/after trips to Carlisle on the 685 and Keswick on the 888!
tyresmoke   23 Feb 2014, 9:50 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 9:40 pm)Tom wrote Alba Travel are still operating the Hexham-Carlisle boards?

Yeah only the Newcastle based end was up for tender, along with plenty of other services. I'm sure its mentioned in one of the tender threads on here.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Rapidsnap   23 Feb 2014, 9:52 pm
For Wednesday, I would recommend that you do a triangle trip to Blackpool and Preston.

For example do Kendal - Lancaster - 42 to Blackpool - 61 or 67 to Preston - 40/41 to Lancaster - Kendal.

Tom   23 Feb 2014, 9:55 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 9:52 pm)GMitchelhill wrote For Wednesday, I would recommend that you do a triangle trip to Blackpool and Preston.

For example do Kendal - Lancaster - 42 to Blackpool - 61 or 67 to Preston - 40/41 to Lancaster - Kendal.

Does it take very long, as I'll do that on Thursday.
Rapidsnap   23 Feb 2014, 10:10 pm
Not really. It be more worthwhile then going to Morecombe.

Journey time is an hour or so between each place (30 mins if you get the 61 between Blackpool and Preston). Preston bus station is awash with buses that leave via the same exit.

Rough plan (using winter timetable) I would use (Journey times are a lot longer then expected, usually takes half the time in my car):
555 - 0844 - Kendal to Lancaster - 1000
42 - 1040 - Lancaster to Blackpool - 1213
61 - 1402 - Blackpool to Preston - 1514
41 - 1730 - Preston to Lancaster - 1835
555 - 1915 - Lancaster to Kendal - 2022

To be honest, I found you only need about 30 minutes in Lancaster for photoing outside the bus station. Blackpool and Preston are more of a goldmine for buses (and trams in Blackpools case).

Tom   23 Feb 2014, 10:18 pm
(23 Feb 2014, 10:10 pm)GMitchelhill wrote Not really. It be more worthwhile then going to Morecombe.

Journey time is an hour or so between each place (30 mins if you get the 61 between Blackpool and Preston). Preston bus station is awash with buses that leave via the same exit.

Rough plan (using winter timetable) I would use (Journey times are a lot longer then expected, usually takes half the time in my car):
555 - 0844 - Kendal to Lancaster - 1000
42 - 1040 - Lancaster to Blackpool - 1213
61 - 1402 - Blackpool to Preston - 1514
41 - 1730 - Preston to Lancaster - 1835
555 - 1915 - Lancaster to Kendal - 2022

To be honest, I found you only need about 30 minutes in Lancaster for photoing outside the bus station. Blackpool and Preston are more of a goldmine for buses (and trams in Blackpools case).

Might just stick with Morecambe/Lancaster with a possible trip to Penrith afterwards on the 106 Smile
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   01 Mar 2014, 11:16 am
Anyone out anywhere interesting today? Smile

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Dan   01 Mar 2014, 11:42 am
(01 Mar 2014, 11:16 am)aureolin3249 wroteAnyone out anywhere interesting today? Smile

Walking the routes of SC Sunderland services 16 and 20 for some out-of-town shots!
Michael   01 Mar 2014, 11:47 am
(01 Mar 2014, 11:42 am)Dan wrote Walking the routes of SC Sunderland services 16 and 20 for some out-of-town shots!

Any good area's u found so far?

Might be able to get a couple of shots near the hastings hill pub

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Dan   01 Mar 2014, 11:50 am
(01 Mar 2014, 11:47 am)Michael='33255 wroteAny good area's u found so far?

Might be able to get a couple of shots near the hastings hill pub

Managed to get a few in the Grindon area. Got one outside of Sandhill school facing towards the park with Monopoly-like houses in the background. Quite like that one.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   01 Mar 2014, 11:51 am
(01 Mar 2014, 11:50 am)Dan wrote Managed to get a few in the Grindon area. Got one outside of Sandhill school facing towards the park with Monopoly-like houses in the background. Quite like that one.

Nice, its a good area as it has the roundabout, are those the new houses your'e on about, which look like Monopoly houses?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Dan   01 Mar 2014, 11:55 am
(01 Mar 2014, 11:51 am)Michael wrote Nice, its a good area as it has the roundabout, are those the new houses your'e on about, which look like Monopoly houses?

Been years since I've been in the area so I don't know. Plain orange houses?

Managed to get a photo of all 15 of the ones out in service today. Heading to Newcastle now!
Michael   01 Mar 2014, 12:02 pm
(01 Mar 2014, 11:55 am)Dan wrote Been years since I've been in the area so I don't know. Plain orange houses?

Managed to get a photo of all 15 of the ones out in service today. Heading to Newcastle now!

Think so, u must of being out early haha

Have u got all 17 gas buses in photos while out in service?

Only 23 more to go :p

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Dan   01 Mar 2014, 12:05 pm
(01 Mar 2014, 12:02 pm)Michael wrote Think so, u must of being out early haha

Have u got all 17 gas buses in photos while out in service?

Only 23 more to go :p

Think I mis-counted! Got 28002/03/04/05/07/08/09/10/11/13/14/15/16/17 today. Missing 01/06/12 unless I got them on their first day in service.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   07 Mar 2014, 5:54 pm
Anyone got any plans for tomorrow? We're forecast clouds but I think I'm gonna have to get myself out... This school week has dragged.
tyresmoke   07 Mar 2014, 6:24 pm
(07 Mar 2014, 5:54 pm)Dan wrote Anyone got any plans for tomorrow? We're forecast clouds but I think I'm gonna have to get myself out... This school week has dragged.

Football for me but I've been out today having one last ride on the Spectras at Ashington, on the X10 back home now (and I'm glad to report the wifi is working on 6046!!) ... Been a good day rounded off with the Astromega turning up on the M35!

Pages (159)    110 11 12159